Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle $329.99! Plus free Wii U game

JamesKelly09

CAGiversary!
Nintendo has announced a Mario Kart 8 Wii U Deluxe bundle for North America. Featuring a 32GB Wii U, a copy of Mario Kart 8, a red racing wheel, and a red Mario Wii Remote Plus controller, the package will cost $329.99 on May 30.

Additionally, anyone who registers a copy of Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, 2014 can redeem one free Wii U game from a selection of four. 

Nintendo is offering a digital copy of Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, or Wii Party U

Will update later with links!!!

MK8Bundle_Front_1.jpg

Plus anyone else who buys Mario Kart 8 game retail or digital will still be able to register for the free game!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely interested in MK8. So this post is not to bash Wii-U or the game.

But the bundle at $329 still isn't a great deal. Haven't the previous bundles been $299 with game? So we are paying $30 for a plastic wheel?

Doesn't seem like Nintendo is quite "getting it" yet if that is the MSRP. Although if they are going to do a price cut, it makes sense to try and milk as many sales as possible from MK8 before they do so. So I can understand that, I'm just looking at it rationally from my angle (i.e. prospective buyer). I'm still waiting for my $199 holiday bundle...
You basically get:

Wii U
Wii U Game Pad

Random Red Wheel
Mario Wii Remote

Mario Kart 8

Digital Game that you get for registering the code.

I mean, yeah its probably better to get a good deal on the Wii U & then just get the game.

That's a lot of money for a system that's dying. When's Mario Kart 8 coming out for 3DSXL?

Nintendo is fucking awesome with these long ass videos in terms of selling you a game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbuJZP0_8iQ&feature=youtu.be

THat said, I think this bundle should be $299 flat. I realize Nintendo would make less at that price, but they shouldn't be raising the price on a dead last system regardless of value.

WIth that said this is great value lol.
[SIZE=medium]I’d argue it’s still priced far too high given that the PS4 is only 100.00 more and represents a clear and profound generational leap in power. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I think the Wii U is, for all intents and purposes, a dead system but if Nintendo wanted to give the console a fighting chance they’d release the bundle for 250.00 and lower the deluxe system to 199.99. (They should just nix the Basic)[/SIZE]

Do you need the Wii Remote for Mario Kart?  I'm considering just looking for a deal on a regular Deluxe bundle for around $250 like eBay had recently and just buying Mario Kart 8 separately.

Is the Wii Remote essential for other games?

Would have been interesting if this was bundle price is 299 or even lower. If the current 299 bundle is not selling well with a 2 games (smb and luigi), this bundle with an extra wii controller and a racing wheel for $30 more isnt that enticing enough.

But the bundle at $329 still isn't a great deal. Haven't the previous bundles been $299 with game? So we are paying $30 for a plastic wheel?

Doesn't seem like Nintendo is quite "getting it" yet if that is the MSRP. Although if they are going to do a price cut, it makes sense to try and milk as many sales as possible from MK8 before they do so. So I can understand that, I'm just looking at it rationally from my angle (i.e. prospective buyer). I'm still waiting for my $199 holiday bundle...
I forgot about the Wii-mote (since I have so many already). I guess that sort of explains their math to go from $299 to $329. I supposed my issue continues to be that the Wii-U itself badly needs to have it's MSRP cut by $50 or even $100 - even with the free digital game - playing around with bundle pricing is not at all what Nintendo needs to do to build momentum.

However this bundle will definitely be one to keep an eye on if there's any clearancing or opportunities to stack deals (i.e. KMART). Knock $100 off this even if through points or gift cards, and it's an extra sweet deal - basically akin to a $199 holiday bundle.

Do you need the Wii Remote for Mario Kart? I'm considering just looking for a deal on a regular Deluxe bundle for around $250 like eBay had recently and just buying Mario Kart 8 separately.

For some multuplayer, yea.

[SIZE=medium]I’d argue it’s still priced far too high given that the PS4 is only 100.00 more and represents a clear and profound generational leap in power. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I think the Wii U is, for all intents and purposes, a dead system but if Nintendo wanted to give the console a fighting chance they’d release the bundle for 250.00 and lower the deluxe system to 199.99. (They should just nix the Basic)[/SIZE]
I'm surprised at all the positive responses, I thought I'd see mostly negative responses at first, maybe that was my initial reaction.. The game deal is great but the bundle deal is decent for a few months maybe but what happens to the current stock of Wii Us? most people are going to buy the shiny new Kart bundle so the current boxes are just going to remain in the shelf collecting more dust in the stores...

I think by Christmas we'll be seeing a $199.99 basic 32g Wii U.

Do you need the Wii Remote for Mario Kart? I'm considering just looking for a deal on a regular Deluxe bundle for around $250 like eBay had recently and just buying Mario Kart 8 separately.

More or less. You have to have it for Wii Fit U, Wii Sports Resort, and those sorts of games. And unless you want to invest in a CCP you'll need it for multiplayer. Even then, games like NintendoLand still require it.

Well this is an awesome deal if you factor in the free game, I was waiting for a mario kart bundle. Definitely in for the bundle plus wind waker hd.

the wheel is $10 value and the wii remote plus is a $40 value so that $50 right there total plus the cost of the free game which is at least a $50 value plus Mario kart which is $60

the wheel is $10 value and the wii remote plus is a $40 value so that $50 right there total plus the cost of the free game which is at least a $50 value plus Mario kart which is $60
I don't think you should count Mario Kart because the price of all the game bundles are $300.

This bundle is pretty much console + kart = 300 + controller + wheel + free game choice for 30.

The free game offer is the amazing part. This bundle itself is way overpriced.

The Wii U needs a price cut to stir sales, everyone knows they will have the 3-5 good nintendo games a year, but its not pushing units.

This baby needs to be 199.99

Hopefully by the time it hits that price point, an original zelda and metroid will be on their way

I'll give you the wheel, but if you are paying $40 for your WM+ you aren't trying. Even the Mario/Luigi remotes have been under $30 new. And unless they are going to instantly lower the price of the bundle after July 31st (they won't) then you can't really count the free game either.

Even if you did though, the free game isn't what I'd call a $50 value. I've seen Pikmin 3 and NSMBU, both new, at $35 each at retail. I've seen WWHD for $25 (again, new) at retail. Even if you argue that those deals are no longer applicable, all you have to do is wait for a good B2G1 sale and you can get them at almost that price.

I've never given a rat's ass about Wii Party U but I bet it's been at least that cheap before as well.

Last edited:
The problem with this theory is I would never buy the wheel, and already have too many Wii-Motes as it is (including the Motion+ ones which I assume is required for Wii-U). So that $50 value, is really $0 value. Ok, so the red controller might be cooler than my black ones, but I'd still only say that's worth about $5 to me personally.

Now the games are where the real value is to me. But $329 is still a stretch when I think the MSRP of the system itself should be $199. Basically it ends up as paying more than $199 system + 2 full MSRP games. Of course if this was the $199 holiday bundle it would be an off the charts deal, but that would never happen with MK8 being such a new game. Makes me wonder what Nintendo's plans are for the holidays. If the digital code is good through the end of the year, inventory of this system lasts, and it hits the typical black friday price ($199-249) - that's where WIi-U could finally get interesting for me (even in addition to getting a PS4 around the same time).

The problem with this theory is I would never buy the wheel, and already have too many Wii-Motes as it is (including the Motion+ ones which I assume is required for Wii-U). So that $50 value, is really $0 value. Ok, so the red controller might be cooler than my black ones, but I'd still only say that's worth about $5 to me personally.

Now the games are where the real value is to me. But $329 is still a stretch when I think the MSRP of the system itself should be $199. Basically it ends up as paying more than $199 system + 2 full MSRP games. Of course if this was the $199 holiday bundle it would be an off the charts deal, but that would never happen with MK8 being such a new game. Makes me wonder what Nintendo's plans are for the holidays. If the digital code is good through the end of the year, inventory of this system lasts, and it hits the typical black friday price ($199-249) - that's where WIi-U could finally get interesting for me (even in addition to getting a PS4 around the same time).
It's already been established the digital code is good through July (assuming you mean the code to redeem your free game). After that, you won't get a thing (aside from worthless CN coins) for registering.

Last edited:
It's already been established the digital code is good through July (assuming you mean the code to redeem your free game).
Oh, didn't catch that. So I guess this would be of no use for later months. I should have known, as I've redeemed a few "free" games on my 3DS, and those were relatively short windows to redeem the product codes and get the free game...

I wonder if the "packed in" version will even include the necessary club Nintendo stuff to redeem for a free game? Is it going to come in a retail box, a sleeve, or maybe a box marked "not for retail'. Seems like a large assumption is being made here in the 1st place. That free game offer might just be with retail copies of Mario Kart 8 and not at all obtainable with the bundle console.

Oh, didn't catch that. So I guess this would be of no use for later months. I should have known, as I've redeemed a few "free" games on my 3DS, and those were relatively short windows to redeem the product codes and get the free game...

I wonder if the "packed in" version will even include the necessary club Nintendo stuff to redeem for a free game? Is it going to come in a retail box, a sleeve, or maybe a box marked "not for retail'. Seems like a large assumption is being made here in the 1st place. That free game offer might just be with retail copies of Mario Kart 8 and not at all obtainable with the bundle console.
I'm sure it will since even digital copies of MK8 get the free game.

I'm just surprised they are letting everybody redeem for a free game; I'd have thought they'd want you to register the game + a new system.

so was doing some quick math and it would seem that the Nsmbu console bundle and buying a mario kart game would be a better deal, I figured if you got it on sale for 250 you would only be paying 160 for console plus 60 for game. The mario Kart bundle console would come out to 220. I am thinking if the console goes on sale again at ebay/buy it would be a better deal?

so was doing some quick math and it would seem that the Nsmbu console bundle and buying a mario kart game would be a better deal, I figured if you got it on sale for 250 you would only be paying 160 for console plus 60 for game. The mario Kart bundle console would come out to 220. I am thinking if the console goes on sale again at ebay/buy it would be a better deal?
Plus Mario Kart comes with a gas card at BBY.

true the wheel amd controller are nice but not worth for so much extra
This is basically 2 games for $25 each if you discount the gas card from the price. Considering one of them is new and their biggest game, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that this is the best deal that Nintendo has ever offered - particularly on a new game.

I won't  buy a wii u until it's at least 199.99 with a free game. The system is just overpriced for what it is. For 70 dollars more I could get an actual next gen system.

This is a good deal compared to current prices, but if people don't bite, maybe Nintendo will wake up.

This doesn't seem like that great of a deal honestly. Wii U's already include a game with the deluxe models so $299 with a game has been the standard for awhile. The added $30 means you are paying full price for the Wiimote. Does anyone actually care about the wheel? The only "free" value here I see is the free digital game but excluding Donkey Kong and Mario 3D World from the deal means your options are limited.

$250 would have been the sweet spot for this bundle. If people haven't been willing to pay $300 for a Wii U why would people suddenly jump at a $30 price raise?

This quote from that article.."Nintendo also announced today that it is actually possible to destroy the blue shell in Mario Kart 8 before it hits you. "

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat haha, sounds pretty interesting!
Don't get my hopes up! I hate those blue shells!

Awesome deal. Nintendo is making a smart move with this bundle. I would however extend the offer of free game not until July 31, but for anyone at anytime who purchases the entire Wii U bundle to help give the console longer legs on that deal. 

I won't buy a wii u until it's at least 199.99 with a free game. The system is just overpriced for what it is. For 70 dollars more I could get an actual next gen system.

This is a good deal compared to current prices, but if people don't bite, maybe Nintendo will wake up.
Then you missed your chance. Last week the Skylander's Wii U bundle was $199. But I feel that even if the Wii U dropped to $150, people will always feel entitled and will still say it's too expensive and will only buy it for "when it gets cheaper" and so forth.

Nintendo wouldn't make jack squat if they sold the system at $199 you idiotz
You do know that, at launch, the console + gamepad was priced at around $225 right? And that was after factoring in some numbers for advertising (which Nintendo barely does), R&D, and shipping. They'd be taking a very small loss if they'd launched at $200. Unless the cost of making WiiU's suddenly went up, I think it's safe to assume they'd be breaking even on each unit sold, if not still profiting.

And nobody is gonna buy a system without games, so there's money there too. The point is that, unless Nintendo is grossly overpaying for their components, they could easily sell at $200.

So the bundle cones with digital copy of mario kart? why does nintendo do this. I want my console games in physical media. Heck prining cds doesnt cost them much. Oh well. Will wait for smash bro brawl wii u bundle anyway. Hopefully by that time the bundle is priced more reasonably.

I Wonder If this bundle will also qualify for the $10 Gas Pre-Order Bonus? cause the TitanFall Xbox one bundle qualified for the $10 pre-order bonus when it was released.

Then you missed your chance. Last week the Skylander's Wii U bundle was $199. But I feel that even if the Wii U dropped to $150, people will always feel entitled and will still say it's too expensive and will only buy it for "when it gets cheaper" and so forth.
[SIZE=medium]People have every reason to question the value of the console, even at 199.99[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The Wii U is woefully underpowered and at this point third party support – even from some of their staunchest allies – has almost entirely dried up and Nintendo’s own output is sporadic at best. The console is languishing in such a way as to suggest it is hurtling towards irrelevance thus I fully understand why so many would question a purchase even at a greatly reduced price. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The system has a bleak future and even the most optimistic projections have this as a third tier console highlighted by the occasional first party release. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Personally, I’d probably get one at 199.99 but the notion of dropping 300.00 or more on the Wii U strikes me as ludicrous. [/SIZE]

I got the Skylander's bundle for 192 shipped when they had the deal.  Sold Skylander's since I have it already so it was worth the 150 but not much more.

I really dig the color scheme they used for this. I might buy the bundle because of that alone. Better save my cash for new games first, though.

Nah. Missed his chance? Do you think the Wii-U price will go UP in these circumstnaces?

No doubt, price cuts and other changes are imminent. The other 720p consoles have been able to do $199 and 2 games for years now during the holiday period, so there's no reason the Wii-U can't. Unless they are content to just be last place year after year after year they will probably have to knock another $50 off the MSRP as well. Hell, there are FIVE consoles in the market right now and Wii-U is selling 5th place. Will Nintendo be content to be a runaway 5th place console throughout the next year? Can any company just sit back and watch their console whither and die like that? Because if they don't have some major tricks up their sleeve (E3 announcements, price cuts, etc) - that will surely be the case. (for the record, I do believe that Mario Kart itself will temporarily give Wii-U a very nice sales boost well out of 5th place - but I'm talking more for the long term, and especially the holidays)

I've said for awhile that $199 is my magic price on a Wii-U. I'm not demanding lower. I've personally only paid more than that on a few consoles - $249 for my launch Wii, $99 for my close-out gamecube. $299 for my PS3 slim the 1st day they were stocked. I picked up my 360 for $199 with Skyrim and Forza 4. PS2 was probably $199... no idea what my parents paid for older consoles as a kid, I can only speak to what I've been paying since I've been on my own with this hobby. What compelling reason do I, or anyone else have to pay $300+ for a Wii-U?

I have a target price for everything I buy, and try to get a deal - never pay the "suggested" price. Wouldn't be very "cheapass" of me otherwise. Hell, the PS4 is the only console I can remember that I thought was actually launched at an amazing price ($399). But did I run right out and pre-order one? Nope. I can afford it easily, but I didn't buy it. Even for the console I really want I'm waiting for something special (i.e. at least a limited edition console or some type of bundle... I'm sure eventually I will get it).

bread's done
Back