Mario Kart Double Dash vs Mario Kart Wii

DAWG26

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
Need advice on what to get. Really wanted to get the Wii version because I havnt played it but I thought I would find out which one you guys like better.

Is using the wii remote better or worse? Should I just go with the GC version?

i really like the double dash. I guess a lot of people didnt though. I think it might be my favorite in the series. The girlfriend loves playing it too.

edit: not so keen on the Wii version. I think its the worst actually.

[quote name='jbrun85']i really like the double dash. I guess a lot of people didnt though. I think it might be my favorite in the series. The girlfriend loves playing it too.

edit: not so keen on the Wii version. I think its the worst actually.[/QUOTE]

Is it because using the wii remote kinda sucks?

Also What kind of controller options do I have for playing Double Dash on the wii? Just the GC controller? I have a classic controller but I dont think I can use that.

Double Dash is better simply because it actually requires you to do some thinking while playing. The Wii version added absolutely nothing to the series (except for maybe a track or two). Also the 150 CC final cup is ridiculous in the Wii version. It doesn't matter how good you are, the AI will smoke you in a very, very cheap way.

Wii version, all the way, primarily for the Online Multiplayer

And yes, there are Multiple Control Options (Wii Remote w/ Wheel, Gamecube Controller, Classic Controller, or Wii Remote & Nunchuck)

Wii for online, better variety of tracks, and steering wheel control (which is surprisingly good). GC for better battle mode and racing strategy. I think overall I like the Wii version better.

I am assuming the motion controls for it are as good as they are in excitebots, so I would choose the Wii version ... price has kept me from getting it.

The Wii version definitely added things... but what it took out, I really miss. I prefer Double Dash over most any version of Mario Kart.

I would suggest getting MK64 from VC: cheapest option, and really fun. True, there are only 4 Battle maps, but try to not fall off Skyscraper and navigate a minefield of banana peels and fake item boxes.

Heck, get the original off VC as well: still my favourite Mario Kart. It's HARD.

But if you want my opinion between MKWii and MKDD, I would say MKWii. Online is pretty good and the track variety is nice. You also get the option to remove items and AI if you wish in Vs.

Well the Wii version is hard as fuck for singleplayer. I have not gone back to that game because the AI is so god damn cheap. The Wii wheel is fine, you can use the GCN controller too.

Overall if you can find the GCN version for like 10-15 dollars try that one out because it is cheaper. Both are good games and I can't really pick a favorite out of the two.

I didn't play Double Dash until after fully unlocking Mario Kart Wii. I don't like it nearly as much. That said, I am now completely jaded on Mario Kart Wii, especially online. I am so fucking tired of losing a race due to a luck last-minute blue shell shot by someone in 12th place (with zero chance of winning). The blue shell in the previous games at least hit people on its way up. The way the game distributes item in the Wii version is borderline broken.

The steering wheel controls are great. Online mode in general is great until you get high ranked. Single player is a great challenge. I don't find it "cheap" at all.

The SNES version is by far the best. Next would be the GBA version, which is basically the SNES version on a handheld.

I didn't get much into Double Dash. I think if you had four local players, it would be great. The tracks in Double Dash seem very small for some reason.

I didn't play Double Dash until after fully unlocking Mario Kart Wii. I don't like it nearly as much. That said, I am now completely jaded on Mario Kart Wii, especially online. I am so fucking tired of losing a race due to a luck last-minute blue shell shot by someone in 12th place (with zero chance of winning). The blue shell in the previous games at least hit people on its way up. The way the game distributes item in the Wii version is borderline broken.

The steering wheel controls are great. Online mode in general is great until you get high ranked. Single player is a great challenge. I don't find it "cheap" at all.

The SNES version is by far the best. Next would be the GBA version, which is basically the SNES version on a handheld.

I didn't get much into Double Dash. I think if you had four local players, it would be great. The tracks in Double Dash seem very small for some reason.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I would suggest getting MK64 from VC: cheapest option, and really fun. True, there are only 4 Battle maps, but try to not fall off Skyscraper and navigate a minefield of banana peels and fake item boxes.[/QUOTE]

I second this. MK64 was amazing! The only drawback is that the game is VERY fuzzy. They used prerended character models that have not aged wonderfully.

As for DD versus Wii, it really boils down to online or not. If you don't care about online play, then I say go Double Dash.

My order:

Super Mario Kart (SNES) --- Played this one for years
Mario Kart Double Dash (GCN) --- Very fun
Mario Kart Wii (Wii...heh) --- Also very fun.
Whatever the GBA one was called...Super Circuit?
Mario Kart 64

Dunno what it is about the 64 version, but, I just do not like it as much as the others. My vote (for you) would definitely be Double Dash.

A part of me feels like the mechanics of Double Dash are better, but the Wii has online play and other options. Hard to choose.

They really just need to add online play to SMK and MK64. That will make us all happy. :)

[quote name='maximumzero']
And yes, there are Multiple Control Options (Wii Remote w/ Wheel, Gamecube Controller, Classic Controller, or Wii Remote & Nunchuck)[/QUOTE]

Just clarifying, You are able to use GC Controllers with the MarioKart Wii?

Also I never played MK: DD. I always enjoyed battle on Mario Kart 64. How is the battle on DD and Mario kart wii?

[quote name='ImLuhkee']Just clarifying, You are able to use GC Controllers with the MarioKart Wii?

Also I never played MK: DD. I always enjoyed battle on Mario Kart 64. How is the battle on DD and Mario kart wii?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

But in my opinion the Wii Remote & Nunchuck is the best way to play.

The Wii Wheel works surprisingly well too.

[quote name='maximumzero']Absolutely.

But in my opinion the Wii Remote & Nunchuck is the best way to play.

The Wii Wheel works surprisingly well too.[/QUOTE]

Well I just have around 5 of GC controllers and only two Wii mote/nunchuck pair. So it is nice to know I could toss in a couple controllers for multiplayer.

The Wii version is the best in terms of feature set, having online, multiple control options, tracks, etc.

But imo, the gameplay in the Wii version is broken by the powerups. You can be the most skilled kart driver ever and you will still get screwed and lose races due to cheapness. This is Nintendo's way of 'Balancing' the game so that Grandma and little Timmy can compete with hardcore MK players and have a chance of winning.

MK64 is easily my favorite in the series. Even when I had Mario Kart Wii, I played the VC MK64 more than it, and family members liked the N64 version more too.

I enjoy MK Wii more. But it is cheap with all the blue shells. I don't know how many times it's happened when the finish line is very close, I get hit by a blue shell, and then 3 other players pass him.

Double Dash is fun, especially two players in the same kart. My friend and I dominated when we'd play together. However, the heavy karts are completely useless. They have horrible acceleration. If you get hit, it takes forever to get back to a high speed. They made them much better in MK Wii.

Mario Kart Wii has the best and most content, but DOuble Dash is just more fun to play and less cheap. My brother won't play MKWii with me because of the item rape.

I agree the item balance can be frustrating, but even in MK64 you wouldn't get Lightning/Star/Triple Reds in first place: mostly banana peels/fake item/single greens. That's why in most races I try to stay in the top 4 (NOT first) and accumulate chase items (Triple Reds with Triple Red backup, Triple Mushrooms, etc.) Then, when it's close to the end, I use all my items to try to win. I think of it as strategy. Item usage is what IMO made SMK the hardest: the item boxes wouldn't regenerate so they were really important to hold onto, which meant more skill than luck in winning.

It appears everyone forgot about MK DS. Never played it myself, but it seems alright minus the snaking. Super Circuit I felt combined the best of SMK and MK64.

Yeah, I'd put MKDS as better than the Wii or Gamecube version. Not so sure how I feel it compares to SMK or MK64 though. The battle modes in the first two were great.

I only played DD a little but had fun. In the Wii version I could never get through a race without getting hit by a series of 5 items in a row. DD it is.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']In the Wii version I could never get through a race without getting hit by a series of 5 items in a row.[/QUOTE]
The final judgment on the game from a karting perspective really is this simple. I would qualify it slightly to say that it's not getting hit by every item -- you expect shells and bananas in Mario karting -- it's the constant bolts and pows that really sting. In MKW, so much of winning or losing in a competitive race can come down to a random box, given that you can't rely on being able to hold items for more than half a lap.

There are other comments in this thread that rate MKW above DD based on content and online play. That's certainly valid if those are the things that matter most to you. But if what you're looking for is a karting game (which in my mind is one that's as true to the SMK spirit as possible), then MKW is the furthest from that experience in the MK series.

Hence, DD is slightly closer to a karter. The original knock on DD was that the two-racer-per-kart feature was a "gimmick." It is, of course, but it's nothing that takes away from the karting experience. It's just a way for you to hold an extra item, it's nothing to get worked up about.

Again, I realize not everyone digs on the karting vibe. If that's the case, MKW beats out DD easily if you're more interested in lots of characters, vehicles, tracks, items, online play, and a general tour through the Mushroom Kingdom and Nintendo fandom.

The mechanics of DoubleDash are amazingly well done. The 2-player per kart deal adds an incredible amount of strategy to the game. You can hord power-ups, pick a team that has special moves that suit your needs, etc.

Not to mention that the 2-player co-op is one of the most unique kart racer components ever.

Double Dash FOREVER!

Consider your television, as well. I still enjoy playing DD on my GCN downstairs, but upstairs my TV is a 32' Sony Bravia and I much prefer to race in widescreen so it's MKWii all the way.

MKWii is also much prettier graphically when you compare the two side-by-side.

[quote name='dothog']The final judgment on the game from a karting perspective really is this simple. I would qualify it slightly to say that it's not getting hit by every item -- you expect shells and bananas in Mario karting -- it's the constant bolts and pows that really sting. In MKW, so much of winning or losing in a competitive race can come down to a random box, given that you can't rely on being able to hold items for more than half a lap.

There are other comments in this thread that rate MKW above DD based on content and online play. That's certainly valid if those are the things that matter most to you. But if what you're looking for is a karting game (which in my mind is one that's as true to the SMK spirit as possible), then MKW is the furthest from that experience in the MK series.

Hence, DD is slightly closer to a karter. The original knock on DD was that the two-racer-per-kart feature was a "gimmick." It is, of course, but it's nothing that takes away from the karting experience. It's just a way for you to hold an extra item, it's nothing to get worked up about.

Again, I realize not everyone digs on the karting vibe. If that's the case, MKW beats out DD easily if you're more interested in lots of characters, vehicles, tracks, items, online play, and a general tour through the Mushroom Kingdom and Nintendo fandom.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I agree 100%, especially that MKWii is furthest away from being a true MK experience.

[quote name='dothog']The final judgment on the game from a karting perspective really is this simple. I would qualify it slightly to say that it's not getting hit by every item -- you expect shells and bananas in Mario karting -- it's the constant bolts and pows that really sting. In MKW, so much of winning or losing in a competitive race can come down to a random box, given that you can't rely on being able to hold items for more than half a lap.

Again, I realize not everyone digs on the karting vibe. If that's the case, MKW beats out DD easily if you're more interested in lots of characters, vehicles, tracks, items, online play, and a general tour through the Mushroom Kingdom and Nintendo fandom.[/QUOTE]

Can't you just turn off the items in Vs. mode?

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Mario Kart Wii has the best and most content, but DOuble Dash is just more fun to play and less cheap. My brother won't play MKWii with me because of the item rape.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. They didn't balance the game for 12 players. Players 1-8 are balanced for Double Dash. Now take that, and add 4 more players with 8th place item drops. That is the problem.

I think the Wii Wheel controls, except without actually using the plastic wheel, are amazing controls, and I would vote for MK Wii for this reason. Skidding was never easier or more intuitive. I agree that MKDD was slightly less "cheap" than MKW, but it's very satisfying to get all that stuff unlocked in MKW because it is a tough, tough game. But MKDD is also a great game.

[quote name='Zing']I didn't play Double Dash until after fully unlocking Mario Kart Wii. I don't like it nearly as much. That said, I am now completely jaded on Mario Kart Wii, especially online. I am so fucking tired of losing a race due to a luck last-minute blue shell shot by someone in 12th place (with zero chance of winning). The blue shell in the previous games at least hit people on its way up. The way the game distributes item in the Wii version is borderline broken.
[/QUOTE]
That last-minute blue shell isn't just luck, it's a communist mechanism that Nintendo intently wove into the game to enforce an "if you lose, everybody wins" policy. It originated in Mario Kart DS and helped kill its online multiplayer in the same fashion. It's turned the series into a literal game of chance that gives you little more control of your destiny than Rock Paper Scissors. Wasn't always like that. I'm no Mario Kart elitist, I just don't like being robbed every time I hit its streets.

I haven't played DoubleDash!! (do want to try it sometime), but I've heard good things, despite lackluster reviews. If you can get an offline multiplayer deal going, then go for it. Then again, I actually haven't played MKWii either (after hearing that MKDS' hackjob item distribution made an amplified return), and it did get very good reviews.

So yeah, I say Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 are still the best in the series (64 being my personal fave), but good luck with your choice. Neither are terrible games I'm sure, just look at the pros and cons of each one (apparently they do have both) and you'll be good.

Double Dash is probably the superior game gameplay-wise, but Wii wins out because of the motion controls. The wheel is too cool.

Also the online MP is good. Who the fuck cares if you get blasted at the end, have some fun with it.

64 is the worst Mario Kart game. That's right, I said it! All of the other iterations, including Super Mario Kart, are better.

If you aren't an expert player, and don't care about keeping a fair lead - in other words, if you just want good graphics, good control, good tracks and multiplayer, and can shrug off cheapness as "part of the crazy experience" - then MKW is the way to go, hands down. Love the motion controls!

But DD is more balanced in regards to competitiveness, so if you're a skilled, competitive player, MKW is just going to piss you off.

[quote name='seanw']I think the Wii Wheel controls, except without actually using the plastic wheel, are amazing controls, and I would vote for MK Wii for this reason. Skidding was never easier or more intuitive.[/QUOTE]
I think the DD controls are really well done. This title and WW really make the GC controller sing. IMO, no karter has ever been better served by its controller than MKDD.

I would agree, though, that MKW provided new perspective on the countersteer skid/boost mechanic (aka mini-turbo) as featured in MK64, MKDD, and MKDS. On one hand, the countersteer mini-turbo does provide some depth in the game play in that it's something that takes a while to master; on the other, it's maybe too smart by half, i.e. needless sophistication that could be implemented in a "friendlier" way.

But given that the countersteer MT is in there, MKDD's controls do very well with it. This is JMO, but I think MKDD handles the countersteer MTs much better than the motion control handles the steering and fraking tricks in MKW.

The point of all this is that the decision of MKDD vs. MKW shouldn't come down to the controls, as each has their advantages. MKW gives you a good variety if Motion Control isn't your thing, and if you want Motion Control, it is implemented fairly well as waggle goes. MKDD is more responsive and provides more depth and replay. You may not choose to explore the depth in the MKDD control, and that's fine, but it's there to experience if you decide you're interested. Let's call it a push on the Control issue.

EDIT: Just want to use this post to send out much love to GC spice. Still love you, baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just spent some serious time with Double Dash and I gotta say that the Wii game blows it away. With the wheel support, graphics, and overall driving feel of MK Wii, there is no comparison. When I am driving with the wheel, I feel like I am in control. When I go up ramps and around corners, it just feels better. I can feel the distinct and sometimes subtle difference between the different drivers and karts. It's just an overall smoother experience.

Yes, the item rape in Wii is huge and annoying. I actually felt like there were too few items in Double Dash. Contrary to what some people have said, I feel that the items in MK Wii are specifically balanced for 12 players. Four or less players is pretty much broken, as a single thundercloud can essentially end the race for you. With 12 players, there are a ton of items flying around, but at least it is chaotic enough that the items don't have the huge effect they do with few players.

bread's done
Back