Mario Kart Wii Controller Preference

chwang0129

CAGiversary!
Now that MKWii is out in the US, please tell us what your controller preference is. Please only vote if you have actually tried several of these controlling schemes to make this poll more accurate. Thank you!

1. Wii Wheel
2. Wiimote + Nunchuck
3. Wiimote Solo
4. Wii Classic Controller
5. Gamecube Controller

I didn't think I would like the wii wheel. It is the only way I have played so far. I'm taking a break after playing for 3 hours.

The Wii Wheel is really fun, although I have only played on 50cc.

I'll vote later, I only played with the wheel last night and really enjoyed it.
I hope I love the wheel.. I mean, it's the point :)

I've also only played with the wii wheel. But I had quite a cool experience with it. I came home after picking up the game at my local blockbuster (I was the only preorder...so that felt kinda nerdy, haha), and promptly put in the disc, and played my first race online. It was a four person race with two people from Japan, one from Germany, and myself. I got first place! I hadn't read the instruction manual or anything, but just drove using my prior MK knowledge, and my adrenaline. I haven't won a race since (lots of 2nd place finishes), so it's possible I may have been facing 3 nine year olds...but whatever. That was one hell of a way to kick off my Mario Kart Wii experience! Loving this game so far!

The wheel is actually pretty cool (handles better than I would have thought). But hands down, I prefer the GC controller for pretty much anything that doesn't involve aiming.

After playing with the GCN controller AND the Wiimote + Nunchuck I have to say that the GCN is pretty standard, so it's nothing special. However the Wiimote + Nunchuck controls really well. I think I like that the best (I didn't vote). Now I gotta try the wheel again and play back and forth with both to see which I enjoy more.

Glad to see there's 2 control types that I like. In Brawl, I could ONLY use the GCN controller. I hated all the remote/classic controller crap :(

[quote name='lilboo']After playing with the GCN controller AND the Wiimote + Nunchuck I have to say that the GCN is pretty standard, so it's nothing special. However the Wiimote + Nunchuck controls really well. I think I like that the best (I didn't vote). Now I gotta try the wheel again and play back and forth with both to see which I enjoy more.

Glad to see there's 2 control types that I like. In Brawl, I could ONLY use the GCN controller. I hated all the remote/classic controller crap :([/quote]

After Smash, I felt weird using the GC controller on the Wii, so I vowed to use the remote/chuk for this game. Luckily, that's ended up to be my prefered scheme out of the three anyway. For Smash, I've forced myself to the use the remote/chuk combo for hours and *still* haven't been able to make it as comfortable for me as the GC is.

I guess I should give the wheel another shot.

I'm not a fan of the Wii Wheel because I panic and jerk the wheel and bad things happen. It's fun I do like it but not if I'm being competitive. Thankfully I picked up a second for $10 so not a huge loss.

I'll stick with my Wavebird

I tired both the Wii Wheel and Wiimote/Nunchuck and I have to say I prefer the Wiimote/Nunchuck control scheme more.

Wiimote/Nunchuck, definitely. It's a fantastic control scheme. The wheel is okay for parties but online it just isn't tight enough to be competitive.

[quote name='Rocko']Wiimote/Nunchuck, definitely. It's a fantastic control scheme. The wheel is okay for parties but online it just isn't tight enough to be competitive.[/quote]

Is there an online setting to only play with people that have similar control schemes?

Wii wheel for me. It took me a while (a couple hours), but now I'm really enjoying it and have no problems with control. It's also nice since it helps set the game apart from the others in the series.

I need to try the nunchuk combo again and see if I play any better. But for those that only tried the wheel (i.e. didn't play for a few hours with it), then I don't think you really experienced what the wheel can offer.

[quote name='gobz']Is there an online setting to only play with people that have similar control schemes?[/quote]

No, I don't believe so. There's just Regional/Worldwide, and Versus/Battle.

[quote name='chwang0129']I tired both the Wii Wheel and Wiimote/Nunchuck and I have to say I prefer the Wiimote/Nunchuck control scheme more.[/quote]

Thats the only two I've used so far. The wii wheel was better than I figured it would be,but I perfer the wiimote/nunchuck :)

Either Classic or GCN. I understand that the game was built for the Wii Wheel, but it's just not for me, thanks. More power to those of you pulling off amazing lap times with the waggle.

Waggle on, wagglenauts!

classic for me, its worked really well so far.

I need to give the nunchuk combo a shot, i see that it is very highly supported.

The wheel just doesnt respond like I want it to, but I'll try it again later...

So far, I've played with the Wheel, Nunchuck-Wiimote, and my good old GameCube controller.

The Wheel is good, but it didn't feel as responsive as I would have liked in the turns.

The GameCube controller worked just fine, but I decided to give the third option a shot...

The nunchuck-Wiimote combo. Wow. It feels like Mario Kart was designed for this setup. I'm not quite able to pull off tricks reliably yet (though I think that's partially my being off on the timing), but I'm loving this setup.

I'll have to try out the Wiimote and nunchuck as well. The girlfriend and I took turns using the wheel and it started to grow on me. I guess I'll sum it up and say I play much better with the GC controller, but it is definitely fun to use the wheel for what it's worth.

[quote name='chwang0129']I tired both the Wii Wheel and Wiimote/Nunchuck and I have to say I prefer the Wiimote/Nunchuck control scheme more.[/quote]
Same here.

Without the Wii Wheel this game is a step backwards for the franchise.

[quote name='Rozz']Without the Wii Wheel this game is a step backwards for the franchise.[/QUOTE]

This.
You can also say that about the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo. I enjoy both because it's a NEW enjoyable way to play Mario Kart.

Just got the game and so far have only tried out the wheel. Gonna try the other setups during the week and see how it goes.

I don't have the game yet, but for people that prefer the wheel, how long did it take you to get used to it? I'm wondering if the others didn't really give it enough of a chance. Also, is there a setting for the sensitivity of the wheel, or is it basically just choose the wheel in the setup and that's it?

[quote name='Rozz']Without the Wii Wheel this game is a step backwards for the franchise.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the peripheral should be that closely tied to the game. If a game needs a peripheral to prop it up as anything but a "step backwards" in your opinion, then you probably don't think much of the game to begin with.

I would say that if your concern is playing online, MKW is a step forward in the series simply because the online matching system is working so well. As far the multiplayer itself--the gameplay, that is--whether it's online or local, MKW is another tiny step back.

Over the past two titles, Nintendo is losing sight of the fact that in crafting incredibly chaotic races with at least 1 lightnings/POWs and 1 blue shells per lap, they're taking the control out of the karters' hands. Even novices get frustrated if they're trying to move up from 6th to 3rd but can't because they're getting zapped every 1/2 lap. It's taking the replayability out of the MK series and slowly eroding MK into a Mario Party title.

[quote name='keithp']I don't have the game yet, but for people that prefer the wheel, how long did it take you to get used to it? I'm wondering if the others didn't really give it enough of a chance. Also, is there a setting for the sensitivity of the wheel, or is it basically just choose the wheel in the setup and that's it?[/quote]
I love the wheel - it took about two seconds to get used to it. No sensitivity settings though, but you shouldn't need something like that. I think the major issue people have with Wii controls is a result of getting spoiled by over-customization options available in modern games. I see control sensitivity as one of the "rules" of the game and, as with any game, if you want to play you have to play by the rules. This is not to say that I haven't seen poor execution of Wii controls, but I remember games like SSX Blur taking a lot of flak and then when I got to play I realized that the controls work exactly the way they were designed to, it's just that players didn't want to conform to the designer's intentions, they wanted to do it their own way.

Does it count as a vote for the Wii Wheel if I spend half my time playing it Wii Remote-only, Excite Truck-style? :)

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']Does it count as a vote for the Wii Wheel if I spend half my time playing it Wii Remote-only, Excite Truck-style?[/quote]
Yes. It counts.

I already ordered myself one extra wheel and I plan on putting them to use with Excite Truck too. It's really sturdy and stabilizes your hands pretty well.

I personally am selling the plastic wii wheel because it is really flimsy. For starters when using the Wii Wheel, I feel like I'm in an old school low rider with one of those tiny steering wheels so i can drive with handcuffs.

The control is terribly loose making it frustrating in tight races to make sharp turns etc.
After playing this at a friends with the classic controller, I became into this game, hence am getting classic controllers.

Wiimote + Nunchuck. It is perfect!

I have yet to try the wheel but with all the positive reaction I will have to try it out sometime.

With all the praise the Wiimote and 'chuk are getting, I will have to try it out.

I have been using the Wavebird.

I really expected the wheel to suck, but I'm loving it. I've sucked online with it in the few games I've played (biggest problem being that I end up drifting in the wrong direction), but it's easy enough to get gold trophies in 50cc with it, lol. I'll have to try the wiimote and nunchuk, which will probably be better for online and the higher cc ranks.

I love the Wii Wheel. The Wiimote + Nunchuck is hard for me to get used to. When I slide I want to move the Wiimote like I am drifting.

The Classic Controller would be perfect but you can't use the D-Pad to move which baffles me. So it is a piece of junk to me.

I haven't tried the Wavebird yet because I can't find my receiver for the Wavebird, which is probably at home (hopefully, lol), but if it is anything like MKDD I am sure it will be fine.

[quote name='dothog']I don't think the peripheral should be that closely tied to the game. If a game needs a peripheral to prop it up as anything but a "step backwards" in your opinion, then you probably don't think much of the game to begin with.

I would say that if your concern is playing online, MKW is a step forward in the series simply because the online matching system is working so well. As far the multiplayer itself--the gameplay, that is--whether it's online or local, MKW is another tiny step back.

[/quote]

Technically the Wii's entire appeal is the new control system (technically a "peripheral"). Without it it'd be a glorified Gamecube.

This game without the remote feels like a step back from Double Dash!! in many ways - the track design is worse, game play is inferior, etc. If you play it strictly with a GC controller it's not too good. But with the wheel it's pretty damn fun.

I hated the wheel at first, but after awhile I started to really enjoy it. I use it for karts only though. I have trouble controlling bikes with it, and usually end up falling of ledges constantly. For online I use Wavebird. It's the only control I can actually win matches with. It's also the only control type that's bed-friendly.

I'm not sure yet, as I just got the game. But the wheel seems "ok" to me but snaking doesn't cut it so far as I need to td as many mini-turbos as possible to keep up with the "elites".

so far this poll tells us a little over 50% of the MKWii players prefer more traditional controls (wiimote+nunchuck, Gamecube/Wavebird, Classic)

57.69% = wiimote+nunchuck, Gamecube/Wavebird, Classic
42.31% = Wii Wheel or Wiimote solo

bread's done
Back