Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='theflicker']Less optimistic? The article confirms nearly every control method possible, short of using a WiiFit board.[/QUOTE]
I'm happy with the variety of control inputs. What bothered me specifically is the comment that testers preferred the Wheel input over others. I just have a stronger feeling that control is going to feel especially loose no matter the input.

It is what it is, in any case. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

[quote name='dothog']I'm happy with the variety of control inputs. What bothered me specifically is the comment that testers preferred the Wheel input over others. I just have a stronger feeling that control is going to feel especially loose no matter the input.

It is what it is, in any case. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if the positive reviews of the Wii Wheel are Nintendo cheerleaders extolling the immersive new control scheme.

Judging from another bullet in the article, the game will track how often you use the Wii Wheel. I'm sure the controls will be tight for all the control methods (this is Nintendo after all) and the Wii Wheel has some sort of handicap in place.

If anything, this IGN article dispelled nearly all of the doomsday posts earlier. Multiple controls schemes (a shit-ton of them in fact) confirmed, the death of snaking confirmed, 12 player online confirmed.

This gaming looks like it is shaping up to be pretty sweet.

[quote name='dothog']I'm happy with the variety of control inputs. What bothered me specifically is the comment that testers preferred the Wheel input over others. I just have a stronger feeling that control is going to feel especially loose no matter the input.
[/quote]
Heh. So rather than taking that as a "The Wii Wheel really is good!" you take it as a "Everything but the Wii Wheel sucks"?

Regardless, I don't like it. I don't care that we get other control schemes, I wanted to use the Wii remote for attacks. Think "swinging Chomp around your head like a flail," or swinging it to the side for melee shots when you've got no weapons.

But I'll live. It's fucking Mario Kart, no matter what the red shell physics.

EDIT: Having said that, the fact that there's a "dead zone" when moving the wheel/remote too far to the side is fucking weak. Why do so many games have that?

EDIT2: Compensated by "Nintendo did confirm that you'd be able to race as Mii characters, but this was an option that wasn't available during our play session."

[quote name='The Crotch']Heh. So rather than taking that as a "The Wii Wheel really is good!" you take it as a "Everything but the Wii Wheel sucks"?
[/QUOTE]
No, I don't take it as that.

I take it to mean that the controls are a little less responsive to accommodate the fact that with motion control, you can't expect a player to hold the same center or origin or 'zero' for the steering over the course of a race. The testers' preference suggests to me that using methods where you have that center built-in (such as with the nunchuck or GC controller) requires you to either push all the way to the left/right to get where you want to go. That is, seeing as how the precision isn't there, the control input doesn't match the response, so the testers prefer the input that best matches the response (in this case, laggy steering with laggy, dead-zonish motion control).

It's just an impression and of course isn't founded on first-hand experience. But I would suspect that something similar would have to take place, otherwise it gives non-motion control users a huge advantage in precision steering. And it's clear that these kind of advantages are being phased out, whether it's steering or mini-turbos.

[quote name='dothog']It's just an impression and of course isn't founded on first-hand experience. But I would suspect that something similar would have to take place, otherwise it gives non-motion control users a huge advantage in precision steering. And it's clear that these kind of advantages are being phased out, whether it's steering or mini-turbos.[/QUOTE]

I would guess that there's a learning curve for the Wii Wheel, as there is with any of the control schemes. I wouldn't be surprised if my mom took to the steering wheel while I'll probably be more comfortable with a cube controller. Either way, if one of us starts to trounce the other a blue shell is never too far away.

I'm really glad that Nintendo is taking this approach in control schemes with games like this and Brawl. While I think it would be fun to use the Wiimote, I think that I'd probably enjoy playing with the gamecube controller more often.

[quote name='dothog']
I take it to mean that the controls are a little less responsive to accommodate the fact that with motion control, you can't expect a player to hold the same center or origin or 'zero' for the steering over the course of a race. The testers' preference suggests to me that using methods where you have that center built-in (such as with the nunchuck or GC controller) requires you to either push all the way to the left/right to get where you want to go. That is, seeing as how the precision isn't there, the control input doesn't match the response, so the testers prefer the input that best matches the response (in this case, laggy steering with laggy, dead-zonish motion control).[/quote]I don't see the big difference between that and what I said...

[quote name='The Crotch']I don't see the big difference between that and what I said...[/QUOTE]
There is a difference, though you're doing a good job of putting words in my mouth. I'm not saying that the Wii Wheel sucks. Nintendo may do a terrific job with implementation of motion control via the Wii Wheel, but motion control itself isn't particularly well suited for steering to begin with. Otherwise we'd be out there guiding our cars with accelerometers instead of steering wheels.

The hope is that the lack of precision is more than made up for by the fun. It should work out. Whether it'll be control with a ton of replay for long-time karters is another thing...

[quote name='dothog']There is a difference, though you're doing a good job of putting words in my mouth.[/quote]It's a wee hyperbole, man. If you want me to write a paragraph with all the details important and minute, accurately explaining your position I don't know how to end this sentence so here's a period.

I still say the different control schemes should yield different attributes.

Using a GC (did they announce this? I'm honestly not a big Kart-er so I'm not really keeping up) controller should give you a higher overall speed. Using the Wheel should give you tighter turning capabilities. Using Wiimote + 'chuk should give you a higher percentage of better items.

Basically, it would be like adapting the -ism scheme from whatever Street Fighter titles use it.

I thought Smash should do this also. But eh.

Game looks pretty good. I'll keep an eye out.

I read the IGN article, the game sounds great.
I honestly thought that this would be delayed until November, but based on the IGN article it sounds like the game is nearly complete, which is great.

It's also great to hear that the game has all the same control schemes as Brawl, everyone should have no problems finding a control scheme that works.

I'm happy with the variety of control inputs. What bothered me specifically is the comment that testers preferred the Wheel input over others.
I can see more casual players lapping it up. It might not be much to you or me, but some people who don't play racing games religiously might find it easier to immerse themselves in the game if they're holding an actual steering wheel. I suspect my son will be hogging the darn thing. :)

[quote name='theflicker']I'm wondering if the positive reviews of the Wii Wheel are Nintendo cheerleaders extolling the immersive new control scheme.[/QUOTE]
I guess the idea that different people prefer different things is too elusive to grasp... ;)

--R.J.

[quote name='The Crotch']It's a wee hyperbole, man. If you want me to write a paragraph with all the details important and minute, accurately explaining your position I don't know how to end this sentence so here's a period.[/QUOTE]
A wee hyperbole? Details important and minute? Good grief. You're a literary genius.

[quote name='dothog']A wee hyperbole? Details important and minute ? Good grief. You're a literary genius.[/quote]Would you rather I be "n ur thread makin mai sentences"?

... A weak rebuttal, I know, but the only other option was a LOLcat, and I don't feel like doing that.

I have to believe this is a 4th quarter release (around Thanksgiving?). Perfect time to launch it, especially with Brawl out now (and Wii Fit coming soon?). Besides this, what other "big" game with universal appeal will they have for Christmas?

[quote name='soonersfan60']I have to believe this is a 4th quarter release (around Thanksgiving?). Perfect time to launch it, especially with Brawl out now (and Wii Fit coming soon?). Besides this, what other "big" game with universal appeal will they have for Christmas?[/QUOTE]

Not that you aren't making logical, sound comments, especially when I have to consider Brawl/Zelda/Mario as the games with the biggest universal appeal from Nintendo's hand.

It's just that I know one simple thing about Nintendo's 2008 line-up, which is that we all know nothing about it.

Which means I'm willing to bet they are focusing on Brawl right now, and we'll hear word of new projects and games sometime after it (perhaps not until E3).

This is an extraordinarily optimistic way of looking at it. Especially when you consider the Nintendo fan's plight as essentially parallel to battered wife syndrome.

Maybe (hopefully) they'll push Wii Fit back towards the second half of the year so we can get Mario Kart in Spring. It'd be one thing to have to wait a bit after the game comes out in Japan, but even Europe is getting the game in April so it shouldn't be too far away.

I wonder how many players online battle mode supports.

[quote name='Big Fo']Maybe (hopefully) they'll push Wii Fit back towards the second half of the year so we can get Mario Kart in Spring. It'd be one thing to have to wait a bit after the game comes out in Japan, but even Europe is getting the game in April so it shouldn't be too far away.

I wonder how many players online battle mode supports.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that Europe isn't getting Brawl for a while. Mario Kart is sort of a peace offering for that.

In any case, I don't think there's any incentive whatsoever for them to push back Wii Fit for Mario Kart. Chances are Wii Fit is going to sell better anyway - just think about how many of the casual gamers that's going to hook.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I have to believe this is a 4th quarter release (around Thanksgiving?). Perfect time to launch it, especially with Brawl out now (and Wii Fit coming soon?). Besides this, what other "big" game with universal appeal will they have for Christmas?[/quote]

The only issue that would delay this game is online, and IGN and others have already reported that the online is up and running. No reason to sit on this one until winter--unless Nintendo has nothing planned for winter, which I highly doubt.

Wii Fit just was announced for a May 19 announce date as well. Mario Kart in April and Wii Fit in May sounds about right.

IGN really has some fantastic articles. Craig Harris' peice on the new Kart really has me psyched about it.

I (along with eight to ten other people...total) played NFS Carbon on the Wii and actually really liked steering using the wiimote sideways as a steerign wheel.

I'm sure experience with NFS Wii, won't help me in kart but the wheel type steering controlls will be what I use to play. It looks really fun. I still need a zapper.

With Europe getting Mario Kart in April hopefully we wont have to wait to long here in the States, I'm hoping for June or July. I doubt we'll see it here in April since Super Smash Brothers is coming out in March.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Very cool. I wonder why they didn't do anything like that for Brawl.[/quote]

I dunno, but they already delayed Brawl for the U.S. twice, so apparently it wouldn't have been that easy to do, otherwise it would be in the game already.

I don't think I like the idea of mariokart turning into mariobike. I would have rather seen smash bros kart, or donkey kong racing where you ride on different animals in the same race.

I will buy this, but I am not expecting very much. I hope to see more levels like wario's goldmine where pipes are coming out of the ground everywhere. Old school elements are definately for the better. The first game in the series was extremely well balanced although the mario bros were the weakest of the bunch. The having bikes really makes me wonder how the balance issue will play out. If they ship this out early they are just trying to gauge people with wii fit, and then buying 3 seperate mario kart wheels.

PS
I hope wii fit has a lot better games than hoola hoop and getting a ball in a hole.

everything i read in ign's article gave me hope that this could go well.
i'm still nervous about the boosts. i still don't fully understand how it works. i understand that you'll no longer turn left and right to build up sparks. and that there will be some sort of charge system.

the boosts are very very important in this game. i would really like to see how this new system works in action.

[quote name='lilboo']Has there been a list of characters in this game yet ?
Do we at least know how many will be in..?[/quote]

IGN reported Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Toad, Koopa, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Princess Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Bowser are available at start and more drivers are unlockable.

[quote name='buttle']everything i read in ign's article gave me hope that this could go well.
i'm still nervous about the boosts. i still don't fully understand how it works. i understand that you'll no longer turn left and right to build up sparks. and that there will be some sort of charge system.

the boosts are very very important in this game. i would really like to see how this new system works in action.[/quote]

From all I have read, the boost system depends on how long you powerslide. The longer you are in a powerslide, the more boost you build up until you let off the powerslide button (B in most cases).

So it is kind of the same as before, except you don't have the rock the analog back and forth during a powerslide to build up "sparks." The "sparks" or boost builds up the longer you slide.

Given that you also get boost from doing tricks and you can draft behind people to get extra boost, there are still a lot of ways to get your kart going faster without having to worry about arbitrarily rocking your analog stick back and forth.

I don't think Nintendo removed the old system because they want to get rid of snaking, I think they removed it because it would be nearly impossible to pull off consistently using the Wii Wheel peripheral.

[quote name='Plinko']IGN reported Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Toad, Koopa, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Princess Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Donkey Kong, and Bowser are available at start and more drivers are unlockable.[/QUOTE]

What do you think the odds are of seeing Sonic included? He's in every Nintendo game these days.

[quote name='elwood731']What do you think the odds are of seeing Sonic included? He's in every Nintendo game these days.[/QUOTE]

It'd be hilarious if Sonic were in the game and rode no vehicles. I'd demand the ability to squish the bastard though.

[quote name='lilboo']Oh GOD if they make Sonic in this game, then I'm going to buy the game so I can throw it out.[/QUOTE]
That's a noble gesture. I'm going to keep mine, but my hope is the requirements to unlock Sonic are obscure enough so that I can unlock everything else without accidentally tripping the Sonic unlock.

It sounds like NA may not see this for a few months after JP and EU get theirs. Isn't that how they did Strikers? I can't recall. Anyhow, cock and balls to you, Nintendo.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I don't think Nintendo removed the old system because they want to get rid of snaking, I think they removed it because it would be nearly impossible to pull off consistently using the Wii Wheel peripheral.[/QUOTE]
I think they wanted to make powerslides and boosting easier for newbies; the Wii game is going to have an option for automatic powersliding, after all.

--R.J.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']From all I have read, the boost system depends on how long you powerslide. The longer you are in a powerslide, the more boost you build up until you let off the powerslide button (B in most cases).

So it is kind of the same as before, except you don't have the rock the analog back and forth during a powerslide to build up "sparks." The "sparks" or boost builds up the longer you slide.

Given that you also get boost from doing tricks and you can draft behind people to get extra boost, there are still a lot of ways to get your kart going faster without having to worry about arbitrarily rocking your analog stick back and forth.

I don't think Nintendo removed the old system because they want to get rid of snaking, I think they removed it because it would be nearly impossible to pull off consistently using the Wii Wheel peripheral.[/QUOTE]

that actually sounds really good.

on double dash i'd love to slide for a really long time. even though getting numerous boosts through out would be faster. so i like the idea of this charging up and giving me a really huge boost.

and theoretically, you shouldn't be able to big of a boost snaking since you aren't charging the slide very long. but who knows. i guarantee the developers have thought about the issue. i'll just have to wait and see what they've done about it.

i'm looking forward to Mario Kart Wii more than Brawl...i'm still looking forward to Brawl...but Mario Kart Wii...damn..it looks sooo fun!!

[quote name='lilboo']Oh GOD if they make Sonic in this game, then I'm going to buy the game so I can throw it out.[/quote]
Of you could just, I don't know, not play as Sonic. ;)

[quote name='lilboo']Oh GOD if they make Sonic in this game, then I'm going to buy the game so I can throw it out.[/quote]

hahaha

I don't like the idea of a steering wheel that the wii mote fits into. Sounds too much like the zapper.

[quote name='HuppSav']I don't like the idea of a steering wheel that the wii mote fits into. Sounds too much like the zapper.[/quote]
Then don't use it. It also supports Wiimote and nunchuck, classic controller, and Gamecube controller.

[quote name='theflicker']It'd be hilarious if Sonic were in the game and rode no vehicles. I'd demand the ability to squish the bastard though.[/quote]

Sonic would be awesome.

i heard the ign guys talking about mario kart on game scoop.
they said that the charging system makes snaking a thing of the past.
very good news.
they did say that the game wasn't all that pretty. they even went on to say that it looked like the game was made by one of nintendo's B teams. i'm not sure what to make of that. from what i've seen, the game seemed to have a little polish on it over double dash. but nothing amazing.

bread's done
Back