Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Kendal']Make up for what? Being fucking awesome and probably the best Mario Kart? Double Dash was the shit. I like it more than Super and 64. I don't understand why DD gets such bad reputation. That game is gold.
[/quote]
MKDD was the first Mario Kart I played, and I was really disappointed the character specific specials are only in MKDD. In MKDS it makes almost 0 difference who you pick as long as you pick someone light and choose the dry bomber or that Yoshi egg. Character specific specials really add to the game. Especially in DD where you'd pick a combo of two people for the best specials.

I would just prefer this game to come out in the summer, that's all. I don't see any big releases this year, except for MK & Wii Fit. I'd just rather have them spread out through the year. We get Brawl in March, and if we were to get Mario Kart in June as the earliest I would like that because I have something to look forward to on my Wii for the summer. Then put Wii Fit out by Christmas. :shrug:

I'll still get this game, regardless. I just wanted some more time to get hype over it ^_^

Just buy it in June, everyone else can pick it up in April. WiiWare launches in May and looks promising, that can carry Wii owners through the summer until Nintendo can be bothered to announce the fall lineup.

[quote name='lilboo']I would just prefer this game to come out in the summer, that's all. I don't see any big releases this year, except for MK & Wii Fit. I'd just rather have them spread out through the year. We get Brawl in March, and if we were to get Mario Kart in June as the earliest I would like that because I have something to look forward to on my Wii for the summer. Then put Wii Fit out by Christmas. :shrug:
[/QUOTE]

Well, Kotaku just had a story about Reggie saying they would be announcing the second half schedule including some big surprises at E3.

[quote name='Plinko']OK, so people first complain about Wii's lack of big releases, and now they complain that there are too many good games coming out?

Make up your minds, people! :)

I'm sure Nintendo will be fine, by the way. Reggie has hinted at a great second-half that will be revealed at E3.[/quote]

The only reason lilboob or anyone else should want this game to not come out so soon is so that they can polish it up as much as possible. The first mariokart was the only one to have perfect balance, other than the fact that the mario bros sucked ass. DoubleDash was a terrible joke and mariokart ds had the snaking catastrophe.

[quote name='HuppSav']lilboob[/quote]
I see what you did there.

So yeah, uh... Mario Kart Wii... is cool? As are Mii crowds.

[quote name='HuppSav']The only reason lilboob or anyone else should want this game to not come out so soon is so that they can polish it up as much as possible. The first mariokart was the only one to have perfect balance, other than the fact that the mario bros sucked ass. DoubleDash was a terrible joke and mariokart ds had the snaking catastrophe.[/quote]

Why was Double Dash a terrible joke?

[quote name='lilboo']I would just prefer this game to come out in the summer, that's all. I don't see any big releases this year, except for MK & Wii Fit. I'd just rather have them spread out through the year. We get Brawl in March, and if we were to get Mario Kart in June as the earliest I would like that because I have something to look forward to on my Wii for the summer. Then put Wii Fit out by Christmas. :shrug:

I'll still get this game, regardless. I just wanted some more time to get hype over it ^_^[/quote]

Mario galaxy came out in nov then smash in march then mario kart wii in april. You never know it might get pushed back,but I doubt it. It would be great if it was coming out in june or july. I think it will hurt the sales putting them a month apart.

[quote name='Kendal']Why was Double Dash a terrible joke?[/quote]
Almost all the tracks were weak, there was no feather, there was no hopping, shortcuts were lame, battle mode was sauce, and it was just a subpar game overall. Lots more reasons but I am not going to spend a hour writing them all down. It was fun for about a week and then I realized how weak it really was.

[quote name='foltzie']Well, Kotaku just had a story about Reggie saying they would be announcing the second half schedule including some big surprises at E3.[/quote]

I hope Animal Crossing is one of them! Then my list would be correct, because obviously there will be Mario Sports.

Here's to hoping there is a GOOD Starfox game and a Kirby game! :)

[quote name='HuppSav']Almost all the tracks were weak, there was no feather, there was no hopping, shortcuts were lame, battle mode was sauce, and it was just a subpar game overall. Lots more reasons but I am not going to spend a hour writing them all down. It was fun for about a week and then I realized how weak it really was.[/quote]

Wow. Do you even enjoy fun? OMG no feather or jumps? How dare they? I mean, they change the gameplay mechanic and people bitch. They keep it the same and the same number of assholes cry about the game getting stale/just a graphics update/Nintendo is ghey for rereleasing the same games. I know not everyone has the same tastes, but shit.

I can't wait to rip up the track. I just wish the double karts were back. Having a good mini-turbo partner was sweet.

[quote name='Kendal'][quote name='HuppSav']Almost all the tracks were weak, there was no feather, there was no hopping, shortcuts were lame, battle mode was sauce, and it was just a subpar game overall. Lots more reasons but I am not going to spend a hour writing them all down. It was fun for about a week and then I realized how weak it really was.[/QUOTE]Wow. Do you even enjoy fun? OMG no feather or jumps? How dare they? I mean, they change the gameplay mechanic and people bitch. They keep it the same and the same number of assholes cry about the game getting stale/just a graphics update/Nintendo is ghey for rereleasing the same games. I know not everyone has the same tastes, but shit.

I can't wait to rip up the track. I just wish the double karts were back. Having a good mini-turbo partner was sweet.[/QUOTE]

Now, except for the feather complaint (which is a decade old) I think his complaints are fair. Mario Kart DD was just ok.

Mario Kart DS was much more fun and was even fun as a single player outing (the carts in the battle modes sported some decent AI).

[quote name='lilboo']:drool: If Animal Crossing comes out later this year, then I'll gladly accept Mario Kart coming out so soon![/quote]

I'd put money on a pay-to-play Animal Crossing MMO coming out at Christmas. My guess is the game is the main reason Nintendo came out with the pay-to-play online news a month or so ago.

I'm sure this was mentioned before and I just missed it but you DON'T have to use the Wii Wheel or even the Wiimote. This interview says you can use the CC and GC controller as well. Again this might be old news (been buried in Brawl news that I haven't been able to keep up with this thread lol) but it was new to me!

Double Dash was bleh. The dual karts were pointless. Just up the item storage. The tracks were certainly not as fun as the N64 version.

Double Dash seemed like a dumbed down version so that your mother could have fun playing in the backseat chucking items.

Looks like some reviews are coming in:

Off of Gamerankings.com
  • GamesMaster UK gave it a 91/100
  • Official Nintendo Magazine gave it a 94/100
My guess is that it still comes out when it's supposed to.

I can't wait for Mario Kart to come out. It is my favorite gaming franchise. I'm gonna hunt down the people that say it should be delayed, if it would really get delayed. Don't spoil it for me!!!!!

DD was pretty good, but the DS version was the best yet. I am expecting a better version than the DS one.

I read the review on eurogamer and was saddened by no co-op gp mode, and no free-for-all in battle mode. Seeing as how battle was broken in double dash, I don't mind as much.
But the no co-op gp really is depressing.

[quote name='The Crotch']I haven't read the review, so explain: no FFA battle mode? Hasn't every Mario Kart battle mode been FFA?[/quote]
FFA? IDK FFA.

I personally didn't like MK:DD. the power boost was too easy to achieve and there was a lack of opportunities to screw your opponents. for example, we use to use a lightening bolt before our friends get to a big jump like in wario stadium so they can't make it or they fall back half a track in mk64. ah those were fun times, we called that the jew lightening.

[quote name='The Crotch']I haven't read the review, so explain: no FFA battle mode? Hasn't every Mario Kart battle mode been FFA?[/quote]
12 player free for all would be kinda crazy. But lack of the usual 4 player FFA is odd.

I think all the mario kart games are either decent or really good. I actually liked the n64 one alot as well as the snes one. The one on gamecube I though it was fair nothing special. I sort of like the ds one I guess I'm not big on handhelds. Hopefully mario kart wii is as good as double dash or even better. :)

free-for-all as in every man for himself-
the wii kart battle mode is only team based- which could also be fun, but i'd like both options

[quote name='HuppSav']The first mariokart was the only one to have perfect balance, other than the fact that the mario bros sucked ass. DoubleDash was a terrible joke and mariokart ds had the snaking catastrophe.[/quote]
What about Mario Kart 64?

Wow. If what you guys are saying is true - and I'm gonna guess that it is - then that is fucking weak. When my brothers are home for Christmas, I am out to prove my superiority as a man in Double Dash's battle mode. Now you're telling me I have to team up with one of them? Blech.

Since it's teams only, I assume it is possible for four players playing offline to all set themselves to different teams- essentially free for all. Problem solved.

Unless they go like Brawl, and only have three teams.

I'm going to assume that they're not being total fuckwads, though, and that Sockey's right.

I haven't kept tabs since I don't want to read too much info before it comes out, but will 2 people on the same Nintendo Wii be able to play online, or is local multiplayer offline only?

You all may have already seen this, but Gametrailers has the Japan start screen and track previews up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5151.html

The track previews are discouraging, especially for the retro tracks. A lot of boring tracks: Yoshi Falls, Moo Moo Country, Peach Beach, & Sherbet Valley among others. The newer tracks with the exception of Wario Mine look mostly flavorless. All these tracks provide lots of room for radical stunts and super keen wheelies, though. :bouncy:

It looks like Air Fortress (or a host of other twistier, more challenging retro tracks) isn't meant to be for MKWii.

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the lack of free-for-all in Battle that Crotch mentioned. Also along these lines of maximum SUCK is the fact that local multiplayer Grand Prix is NOT possible. You can set up one-at-a-time VS. races with as many as 4P local and fill the field out with CPU racers (for a total of 12P per race). But you can only do Grand Prix cups in 1P. I don't know WTF they're thinking on either count: people don't play battle for teaming, they play it for balloon carnage, and local MP is made much more enjoyable by playing through cups together. This is just stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'd like to know what the reasoning behind making GP one player only was. It really doesn't even make sense.

Sadly, I am slightly less excited now. It's a shame, too, since they just knocked Smash Bros out of the park, I hope they don't turn around and screw up Mario Kart.

[quote name='007']I'd like to know what the reasoning behind making GP one player only was. It really doesn't even make sense.

Sadly, I am slightly less excited now. It's a shame, too, since they just knocked Smash Bros out of the park, I hope they don't turn around and screw up Mario Kart.[/quote]

Basically it makes too much sense. :D

Just like freeforall battle online does.

So I just read that you can setup local multiplayer VS. to go through more than one race in a row. It's kinda like multiplayer GP, then. No link on hand for this, but look around. The news is out there.

In other news, nobody's mentioned MK Wii pre-release as a possible GOTY. It's troubling. Even Super Paper Mario got pre-release GOTY chatter. Where is the ridiculous hype, people?

If it really is true that you can't do multiplayer GP(I'm still in denial that even Nintendo would be that stupid), then I don't think there's even a reason for this game to exist. I can honestly say I've put countless hours in on MK64, but not once have I ever played a 1 player GP on that game.

I mean, if this is true, it's the pretty much the equvilant of releasing Smash Brothers with no local multiplayer. We know they would never do that with Smash, and I don't think they would screw up Mario Kart that badly either. There could not possibly any reason they would do it, so I have to hope that it's just a mistake.

[quote name='dothog']So I just read that you can setup local multiplayer VS. to go through more than one race in a row. It's kinda like multiplayer GP, then. No link on hand for this, but look around. The news is out there.[/quote]Cool.

You know, I have my theory for their being so difficult on this. In Double Dash, everything you unlocked was through doing a Grand Prix against 7 or 6 computer opponents. If they changed that so that it was 4 humans against 4 computer opponents, unlocking things would have been ridiculously easy.

[quote name='dothog'] In other news, nobody's mentioned MK Wii pre-release as a possible GOTY. It's troubling. Even Super Paper Mario got pre-release GOTY chatter. Where is the ridiculous hype, people?[/quote]We're worn out from hyping Brawl.

The graphics are really turning me off to this game.

Just looks so cheaply washed out and bloomified. Seriously I'm surprised I'm not raving about how Nintendo made the game look so good on the Wii.

Maybe I'm just seeing bad vids? I just hope it's not an indication of the first rushed MK game.

[quote name='The Crotch']You know, I have my theory for their being so difficult on this. In Double Dash, everything you unlocked was through doing a Grand Prix against 7 or 6 computer opponents. If they changed that so that it was 4 humans against 4 computer opponents, unlocking things would have been ridiculously easy.
[/QUOTE]
They could've done as in DD and limited the official GP, with the cups and all, to 2P. And VS. mode could be for up to 4P. I guess it doesn't matter in the end. I would've liked to be able to help friends/family unlock things on their consoles, but I also like that we can now make a custom cup with our favorite tracks.

[quote name='leveskikesko']The graphics are really turning me off to this game.

Just looks so cheaply washed out and bloomified. Seriously I'm surprised I'm not raving about how Nintendo made the game look so good on the Wii.

Maybe I'm just seeing bad vids? I just hope it's not an indication of the first rushed MK game.[/QUOTE]
I think they did just enough to get it out the door. That doesn't mean it will be bad, but there certainly may be unrealized potential there. I think a lot of karting fans were expecting a Sunshine to Galaxy leap in going from MKDD to MKWii, and instead what we're getting is effectively the Wii port of MKDS. We'll see how it plays very soon.

I haven't played the game, so I think I can withhold my speculative opinion until I see it on my TV.

I wonder if Nintendo is leaving themselves open for more sequels this generation? Not huge leaps, but some added characters and minor improvements to "fix" things. This would quell those who complain that we only get 1 major franchise per console. I see flaws in SSBB that are easily fixed (and some not so easily, like online), and now with MKWii it seems that we have the same thing. So who thinks Nintendo might release this now, and then 2-3 years later release an "expanded" or "improved" version as a sequel? I mean, they do it with Mario Party all the time, so it isn't unprecedented, but they haven't done it with their major franchises yet.

[quote name='Cambot']I haven't played the game, so I think I can withhold my speculative opinion until I see it on my TV.[/quote]
You're silly. Don't you know the whole reason video games exist is to speculate about them endlessly and pass judgement prior to their release? Once a game actually comes out it is dead to me.

bread's done
Back