Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

Oh that's awesome. Congrats. Heading to GS later to trade in my 2 games. It's a midnite launching GS too ^_^

So.. I'm curious, I really haven't read much about this game, LOL I just want a new Mario Kart. The online, we CAN'T do 12 player RACING can we? Is it just 12 player battle, but in teams?
I'm sure the racing is probably teams too, but that could be fun if we could get 12 of us together.

Mario cart wii is gunna be sick 12 player online and new courses, characters and carts. This could be one of the wiis best games.

Currently Playing:
:psp: God of War Chains of Olypus
:ds: Mario Cart
:ps3: Warhawk, Rock Band, GH3
:wii: SSBB, Bully, Mario Galaxy

[quote name='lilboo']
So.. I'm curious, I really haven't read much about this game, LOL I just want a new Mario Kart. The online, we CAN'T do 12 player RACING can we? Is it just 12 player battle, but in teams?
I'm sure the racing is probably teams too, but that could be fun if we could get 12 of us together.[/QUOTE]
Racing is not in teams. Now you're just being silly. I don't know how gathering friends work since I can't try it, but racing is always up to 12 players. Sometimes you'll join a race in progress and watch until the next one starts IIRC.

Pumped for this game I love Mario Kart and finally will get some play out of my Wii online haha. I tried SSBM but it just wasn't my thing, had never played the series just bought it blind. Mario Kart I know is my thing and all these people online should be awesome! I've never played with more than 1 other person not counting the DS. Gonna pick this up late tonight not going to and release "party" though just gonna swing by on my way home from going out on the town. Still get nerd points though. :D

I'm still debating whether I want to go to the midnight release or not. More likely than not, I'll wind up just picking it up tomorrow morning.

I'll pick this up tomorrow morning. I hope someone is planning on making a Friend Code topic in the near future! I needs me some opponintz.

When we get some 12 player battles on here, THIS IS HOW IT WILL WORK TO MAKE ME HAPPY.
I hate racing duplicates, so the 12 of us that play together..well, we are only allowed to be ONE person. So if I'm Peach (and I WILLL) no one else is Peach in that match :p

That's just my 2 cents, as I think it'll be fun to have 12 different racers :)
/ocd

[quote name='lilboo']When we get some 12 player battles on here, THIS IS HOW IT WILL WORK TO MAKE ME HAPPY.
I hate racing duplicates, so the 12 of us that play together..well, we are only allowed to be ONE person. So if I'm Peach (and I WILLL) no one else is Peach in that match :p

That's just my 2 cents, as I think it'll be fun to have 12 different racers :)
/ocd[/quote]

No argument here--she's not my type, you can have her. ;)

Anaheim GS is doing midnight release...it's either that or Sam's Club...choices...

I'm really liking
Rosalina
being in this game. I really would love to see her start appearing in more games (Party, Sluggers, Golf, Tennis, etc). Maybe I'll be her, but I can't. I've been Peach since the very beginning

I'm looking forward to this game, but unsure on what the pros and cons are of each control scheme. Maybe we should have a poll of some sort to gauge what control scheme everyone prefers?

[quote name='lilboo']I'm really liking
Rosalina
being in this game. I really would love to see her start appearing in more games (Party, Sluggers, Golf, Tennis, etc). Maybe I'll be her, but I can't. I've been Peach since the very beginning

I don't have a clue who I'll be since I haven't looked at the full character roster yet, but Yoshi and Wario have always been good to me. :)

Dare I hope for a return of Koopa Troopa or Donkey Kong Jr? The latter isn't very likely, I know, but he was in Mario Tennis...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I don't have a clue who I'll be since I haven't looked at the full character roster yet, but Yoshi and Wario have always been good to me. :)

Dare I hope for a return of Koopa Troopa or Donkey Kong Jr? The latter isn't very likely, I know, but he was in Mario Tennis...[/quote]

Koopa Troopa is
A selectable character from the beginning

DK Jr. is
Not selectable from the beginning. I haven't unlocked any characters and haven't seen a list so I'm not sure if he's in the game

[quote name='Rocko']Rofl, I've already found snakers online. Glad to see the online in this game will be just as boring as in MKDS.[/quote]

What? Really? I thought the new drift system made it so boosts could only be had over the course of large turns. Well, looks like I've been relegated to playing with friends.:)

EDIT: As for the character thing, I'll be either Yoshi or Mario. Preferably the former, but I understand how popular he is and am willing to bow down.

[quote name='JoeB1233']What? Really? I thought the new drift system made it so boosts could only be had over the course of large turns. Well, looks like I've been relegated to playing with friends.:)[/quote]
For long boosts, yeah, but I just played with a guy that had 7500-some points (you get 5000 to start with and gain/lose them as you play online matches) and he would just continually get the small blue boosts.

Every match timed out after 30 seconds. That's how far ahead of the whole pack he was every game.

I don't think I'd call that snaking though. For straightaways I dunno. I'd have to see it myself to make an opinion because I don't know if it'll actually increase your speed, because it looks like you'll be losing some speed when you try to snake in this version and the boost might not be enough to make it effective.

Then again I don't have the game so I can't really say :(

[quote name='TheUnsane1']Wish I knew of a local or semi local gamestop doing a midnight launch. My normal store isnt doing one.[/quote]

no go on wal-mart?

Does anyone know of any deals or coupons to use for tomorrow? I've searched but it seems like it's going to be full price everywhere (not surprising since it's a first party Nintendo title). Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='aznguyen316']no go on wal-mart?[/QUOTE]

Walmarts aren't 24 hrs for at least a hour drive one way from me.

Oh my online is GREAT 12 people half USA half Japan ZERO lag in 5 online games i've played so far! My Blockbuster/Gamerush didnt sell at midnight like they said so I went to Walmart and got it several other people were there getting it as well. Some teens in front of my bought 1 game and 3 extra wheels.... haha that'll be good times....

If anyone is doing a friends list i'll be playing this alot usually early in the day or late at night during the week as i'm a 2nd shifter.

1289-8596-0318 SHADY
If you add me PM me and i'll add you.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Does anyone know of any deals or coupons to use for tomorrow? I've searched but it seems like it's going to be full price everywhere (not surprising since it's a first party Nintendo title). Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

10% off Gamestop coupon or check the Blockbuster/Gamerush thread in hot deals for games to buy low trade high. Extra step involved since you gotta go to another store first to buy tradein games but you can usually get near double the credit for every dollar you spend. :D

[quote name='lilboo']This game is pretty awesome, so far.
I only used the Wii Wheel.. and I really like it![/quote]

I tried it one race offline and it was ok gonna need some practice with it.... Went online and since the Japanese have been playing for a while I broke out my wavebird and won my first race. :D Gonna use that tonight and practice with the wheel whenever I race offline... The Japanese most all use the wheel so it must be better once you learn it's tricks OR it's just an honor thing. :p

The Wal-Mart here had a grand total of one other person there at midnight waiting for this... I was in at 11:55 pm, and out by 12:06 am. This Wal-Mart also only had 4 people for Brawl... I doubt they'll have many people for GTA 4 either, it's nice. Sure beats the shit out of overcrowded, smelly Gamestop's.

Time Trial's are fucking hard... maybe it's because I'm just using the classic controller so I'm missing those extra trick speedboost's, but damn, getting the Expert Time Trials on some of these is a pain in the ass.

I unlocked Funky Kong though! I think he may overtake Daisy in the annoyance factor... but he makes me laugh, because he's crazy and funky.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Does anyone know of any deals or coupons to use for tomorrow? I've searched but it seems like it's going to be full price everywhere (not surprising since it's a first party Nintendo title). Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.[/quote]
Costco didn't have it today (which makes sense), but they'll likely have it for $43.99 like Smash Bros, which is better than the 10% off you'll find elsewhere.

[quote name='mephitical']Costco didn't have it today (which makes sense), but they'll likely have it for $43.99 like Smash Bros, which is better than the 10% off you'll find elsewhere.[/quote]I totally forgot about Costco. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it'll be at or around their usually discounted prices for games.

[quote name='Roufuss']
I unlocked Funky Kong though! I think he may overtake Daisy in the annoyance factor... but he makes me laugh, because he's crazy and funky.[/quote]

How did you unlock Funky Kong? through Time Trials?

Just got back from GameStop...the Sam's Club only had 3 shady people standing around there. :shock:

Funny story--when I got there, they let me pay for the game before they released it. I was wearing blue overall, my Wii Sports All-Star T-shirt, and the black and gold Zelda cap. While I was paying, the associate, was all, "Y'know, if you had a red shirt and a red hat, you could be Mario. Or, you could do Luigi..." I said I'd think about it. So, I went home, and I changed into my green Japanese emergency exit T-Shirt and green Anaheim Angels cap.

I went back to GS to wait in line. (Not a bad turnout, actually.) When it was my turn to go into the store and pick up my copy, both associates in there flipped out at my Luigi "costume". I was gettin' high-fives and "You are the man!" They both snapped pictures of me holding MKW with their cell phones. I was quite popular, it seemed.

Anyways, gonna' pop in the game now. Friend Code to follow. is as follows:
Frosty
1977-0545-7091

It's you'a Luigi haha ^

Well after 3.5 hours of playing i'm done and going to bed. Up to almost 5900 pts and hours of smiles and laughs online. Later today i'm gonna start unlocking in the offline.

1289-8596-0318
If you add me PM me and i'll add you.

Some 12 player CAG matches would be nice but both regional/national match making seems to work very good even when the games only been out for a few hours.

Well, I can't pick this up till Sunday at noon or so (Pacific). If anyone who's on my Wii friend's list wants to add me just send an invite like Courageous did (that means botticus, daroga, yukine, lilboo, frisky, strell, whoever else I have on there...). I'll accept them all tomorrow when I get the game, but it may be a bit later than most CAGs. I was never really able to get into the Brawl action online but I really want to with Mario Kart so I'll be there!

I'm excited about this but I don't play online much and hopefully that won't take much away from the game itself. Perhaps this will get me playing online more.

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']How did you unlock Funky Kong? through Time Trials?[/QUOTE]

Yea, you have to unlock 4 "Fast Course" Time Trials... you don't just have to beat the Normal Time Trial ghost, you have to beat it from anywhere from 2 to 12 seconds, depending on the course.

Some courses it's a breeze, but others, you have to beat it by like 13 seconds and it's hard as hell.

I thought all the unlocks would be easy but it looks like they are going to take a lot of time... more time than Brawl, perhaps. I'm also not good at racing games at all, any kind of racing game, so I'll struggle unlocking everything, whereas in Brawl I had all the characters and stages in a day.

[quote name='io']Well, I can't pick this up till Sunday at noon or so (Pacific). If anyone who's on my Wii friend's list wants to add me just send an invite like Courageous did (that means botticus, daroga, yukine, lilboo, frisky, strell, whoever else I have on there...). I'll accept them all tomorrow when I get the game, but it may be a bit later than most CAGs. I was never really able to get into the Brawl action online but I really want to with Mario Kart so I'll be there![/quote]

I've got you in my Wii System list so I will be sure to send you an invite as soon as I pick up my copy. My CAG name was formerly lebowsky so I think I am in your system as well.

A helpful tip -

When you unlock things in Time Trial mode, it may not unlock... you have to go out of the game back to the main screen, reload your license, and then it'll present you with all the unlocks you got from the time trial!

I am enjoying this version a lot. It will take some time for me to decide, but the Wii version may top my list over the DS version.

bread's done
Back