Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='vherub']did this suddenly become difficult to find?
online prices have skyrocketed.[/quote]
Is it really sold out in lots of places?

[quote name='hero101']Is it really sold out in lots of places?[/quote]

I've had a tough time finding it the last month or so. Finally found it at Target last weekend (they had 4 copies). Went to Gamestop that same day and they had 2 copies. I haven't seen any since.

It's sold out at Amazon and buy.com (Did a little checking out of curiousity.)

Maybe Nintendo didn't have enough wii wheels to meet demand for the pack in?

I'd be pretty surprised if Amazon doesn't get more back in stock at some point.

Pretty much since it came out it has been insanely hard to locate in most places. Some say it's available in all the stores where they live, and then there's people like me who searched for weeks just to get a copy.
Your best bet would be Walmart.com since it has a store locater on the product page.
Bestbuy.com and Target.com used to let you search availability but that option has mysteriously disappeared. Online it's sold out everywhere.

Most stores will get in a few copies each week but then sell out by the end of the day. Maybe it really is that popular, or maybe they're just being bought up by resellers.

I need to start playing this again, but it might be a while before I do. Summer's the only time I've got enough time to give RPGs a shot, so I'm working on Pokémon Diamond now and most likely one of the GameCube Zelda titles afterward. :whistle2:k

You guys still play on Monday nights, right? I'm going to jump back in at some point, but right now I'm too busy for that. :bomb:

Anybody have some tips for Moonview Highway? I'm having a bit of trouble unlocking the expert staff ghost on that one.

[quote name='wubb']Anybody have some tips for Moonview Highway? I'm having a bit of trouble unlocking the expert staff ghost on that one.[/quote]
Don't get hit by the cars.

This is actually one of my better courses, but I'm not sure why. I drift pretty heavily on it and try to time it whenever a car is coming to let off the drift and quickly change my trajectory.

Do you take the 'shortcut'?
Near the beginning off the road to the right that elevated dirt path with a jump at the end.
It seems to actually be a bit slower to me.

My last run was going pretty well until I hit a car on the last lap. Ended up missing the time to unlock the expert ghost by 5 seconds. So I'm not that confident I'd have unlocked it even missing that car.

[quote name='mephitical']Don't get hit by the cars.[/QUOTE]

This.

Also, try to hit every boost past the first toll booth. If you do it right, you can be boosting all the way between the booths, which gives you a pretty decent lead even over the expert staff ghost.

Moonview Highway has become one of my favorite courses in the franchise. It has a decent difficulty level due to the amount of cars all over the place, and tends to reward very skilled drivers. I wish there were more courses like this one...

Edit: Wubb, that "shortcut" really sucks. I tried it out a couple of times and found that it was much quicker just to stay on the ground.

I love Moonview Highway...I think unlocked the fast staff ghost on the first try.

The things I do on that stage:
  • Go with the flow of traffic unless I need to pass/reach something.
  • Hit as many of the turbo strips after the gate. If you notice, once you cross the gate, you can actually hit, like, 5 or 6 in a row....just turn in the direction they do. Be careful, though...the last 1 or 2 are on the oncoming road, so you may or may not get them. But besides that, you can nearly stay boosted in the tunnel, as well.
  • I've seen that boost perched on the cliff, but I never really bother with it.
  • And yes, don't get flattened.
For the record, I think I used my (medium) Mii and the Sneakster bike. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I also try to stay on the proper side of the road and therefore I skip the two boosts that are on the incoming traffic side after the toll booth. I'll have to try to go for them and see where that leaves me.

@wubb

sent you a challenge of MV highway. My time is the one right above you in the friend rankings. Unlocked the expert ghost with it. Should be easy enough.

[quote name='wubb']Thanks for the tips. I also try to stay on the proper side of the road and therefore I skip the two boosts that are on the incoming traffic side after the toll booth. I'll have to try to go for them and see where that leaves me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you stay to the left on the first toll booth, you can hit those 5-6 right off the bat really easy.

Alright I used Doomed's ghost and the tips to use all of the warp pads and unlocking the fast staff ghost wasn't that bad. Thanks!

Also managed to get my online score over 7K for the first time. I had come within 50-100 of topping that using the wheel but then I slid all the way down to about 6K.

At the time I was racing against a couple random people with scores in the 8000s using the wheel. Very impressive.

Having a hell of time starring the first 'new' cup on either 150cc or Mirror. Bastards always manage to hit me with a blue shell on Mushroom Gorge on the last set of bouncing shrooms of the last lap. So I fall and by the time lakitu restarts me I don't have enough race left to get better than 8th or 9th on that one.

Well it's happened twice in a row now but that feels like 'always'. :D

I was finally able to find this last night at my local Game Crazy... I only got to play it for about a half hour with my wife, but its LOTS of fun... I certainly need to get better

I was at a different Target this morning and they had at least a hundred copies of this. Hopefully that means it will be easier to find for everyone soon.

I actually felt weird walking out of there and not buying some Mario Kart, 2-pack guitar Aerosmith Guitar Hero, Wii Rock Band and Wii consoles (they had at least 30). The only thing missing was Wii Fit.

I should be willing to host a Mario Kart Wii game for tomorrow. I'm in the mood to play. As for start time, I'm leaving it up in the air for people to decide. Anytime from 9pm EST to 10pm EST is when I want to start, and play until most everyone goes.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I should be willing to host a Mario Kart Wii game for tomorrow. I'm in the mood to play. As for start time, I'm leaving it up in the air for people to decide. Anytime from 9pm EST to 10pm EST is when I want to start, and play until most everyone goes.[/quote]
Can I suggest something? Feel free to shoot this down, but part of the reason I haven't been able to show up as much as I would like the last few weeks is that when we create a room, it locks any latecomers out for the entire series. Last week was fun, but the races with only four people can get kind of drab, especially when you're pretty bad like I am.

I'd like to see if we can get a lot of friend codes added today to each other's consoles for tomorrow night, and then have everyone "meet up" with friends in regional races or battles. This way people can join and leave at will. True, we may not know who everyone is, but I think it could be a bigger draw. It's also a step closer to my ultimate goal of a bunch of us racing online as six or seven of the same Mii and harrassing non-CAG racers.

I'll be on around 730 PST as usual, and I'll even change my Mii to something with my CAG username.

[quote name='mephitical']Can I suggest something? Feel free to shoot this down, but part of the reason I haven't been able to show up as much as I would like the last few weeks is that when we create a room, it locks any latecomers out for the entire series. Last week was fun, but the races with only four people can get kind of drab, especially when you're pretty bad like I am.

I'd like to see if we can get a lot of friend codes added today to each other's consoles for tomorrow night, and then have everyone "meet up" with friends in regional races or battles. This way people can join and leave at will. True, we may not know who everyone is, but I think it could be a bigger draw. It's also a step closer to my ultimate goal of a bunch of us racing online as six or seven of the same Mii and harrassing non-CAG racers.

I'll be on around 730 PST as usual, and I'll even change my Mii to something with my CAG username.[/quote]
sounds good. As usual I'll be on as late as other people are on.

Does anyone who tends to play a little later (after 730 PST) want to add me and I can add you back? I lost track of who I've added and who I haven't because about half of the codes I added never confirmed. Some of them I know added me too, but we just never show up on each other's consoles for whatever reason.

[quote name='mephitical']Does anyone who tends to play a little later (after 730 PST) want to add me and I can add you back? I lost track of who I've added and who I haven't because about half of the codes I added never confirmed. Some of them I know added me too, but we just never show up on each other's consoles for whatever reason.[/quote]
I played you last week, you're on my friend list, and I go to bed at like 2 AM EST.

[quote name='mephitical']Can I suggest something? Feel free to shoot this down, but part of the reason I haven't been able to show up as much as I would like the last few weeks is that when we create a room, it locks any latecomers out for the entire series. Last week was fun, but the races with only four people can get kind of drab, especially when you're pretty bad like I am.

I'll be on around 730 PST as usual, and I'll even change my Mii to something with my CAG username.[/QUOTE]I have no control over locking people out until races are done. That's why I try making a post at CAG when a session is done, but some cannot view CAG and play their Wii at the same time (which is understandable if they are in different rooms).

[quote name='mephitical']

I'd like to see if we can get a lot of friend codes added today to each other's consoles for tomorrow night, and then have everyone "meet up" with friends in regional races or battles. This way people can join and leave at will.
[/quote]
According to my friend list, I have you registered but you have not registered me. (that explains why I didn't recognize your name and there was no option to register you the other night in Jeffrie's room)
Add me if you'd like:

Mario Kart Friend Code: 0216-1546-7427

And I have room on my list for more people if anyone else would like me to register them.

[quote name='Daisydog']According to my friend list, I have you registered but you have not registered me. (that explains why I didn't recognize your name and there was no option to register you the other night in Jeffrie's room)
Add me if you'd like:

Mario Kart Friend Code: 0216-1546-7427

And I have room on my list for more people if anyone else would like me to register them.[/quote]
I added you just now. Any other takers?

And The Mana Knight - I wasn't faulting you in any way. You've done a tremendous job kleeping this thread alive and motivating people to play. I was complaining about the games online setup.

I've got you added and I'm usually on after 7:30pst, just not everyday.

I'll see you online. Anyone else, feel free do add me if you want. i have plenty of room on my list.

Earlier is better for me. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it if it starts at 9 or 9:30

Thanks to everybody on my FL that sent me some ghost challenges in response to my own. I was on top of my friend list leaderboard for like an hour or two there. :lol:

Anyone can feel free to add me now that I got the game, I am still learning all the tricks, but love playing.

4167-5985-9644

send me your WFC and I will add you

I'll try to start at 9:30pm EST then, and then I'll keep the game going until around 11pm EST maybe (so hopefully the ones who can't play until 7:30 PST get in). After that, someone else can continue hosting if they want.
[quote name='mephitical']I added you just now. Any other takers?

And The Mana Knight - I wasn't faulting you in any way. You've done a tremendous job kleeping this thread alive and motivating people to play. I was complaining about the games online setup.[/QUOTE]
I understand. I've been successful with other CAG nights on other consoles, so I decided to bring it to Mario Kart Wii.

That damn Mushroom Gorge screwed up my attempt at starring the Mushroom Cup once again. For some reason that cup is the toughest one for me to star. I wish I could set Mushroom Gorge as the first track and I'd just restart if I get hosed.

[quote name='REL1203']Anyone can feel free to add me now that I got the game, I am still learning all the tricks, but love playing.

4167-5985-9644

send me your WFC and I will add you[/QUOTE]I added your friend code so you could play; however, I have NO idea where mine is (It's in the Mario Kart friend code thread).

Anyway, the game starts at 9:30pm EST. I apologize because I almost forgot about this, but thankfully 9:30pm EST hasn't approached yet.

Edit my code is:
3480-3205-4630

[quote name='Phoenix Audubon']Damn, wubb, I help you out, and that was the thanks I got? Psssshhh!!!

(j/k) ;)[/QUOTE]

Did you like that? I fired my wad (3 red shells) right at the end.

If Janet manages to knock me down once she pulls out too far ahead to catch again.

I need to have a voicemail on my cell phone that says, "don't call me when I'm gaming,"--my dad called me on the Luigi Circuit race...but he let me go, mercifully...

bread's done
Back