Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

Dammit - I hopped on right as you guys were starting your series and didn't get in in time. This is why I hate the way the online "friend" part of this game is set up. I'm going to be puttering around Regional races and I'll check back in ocassionally.

Thank you all for coming. I had lots of fun. Glad a decent number of people showed up. Look forward to matches again. :)

Doomed can go ahead and continue hosting if he wants to.

Took me about ten tries, but it looks like I'm finally meeting up in regional with Andy. I don't see Janet - you must be in a different race.

[quote name='mephitical']Dammit - I hopped on right as you guys were starting your series and didn't get in in time. This is why I hate the way the online "friend" part of this game is set up. I'm going to be puttering around Regional races and I'll check back in ocassionally.[/QUOTE]

hey, sorry to bail on you. i think i'm going to join in with the "friends" playing on a regional vs race.

[quote name='buttle']hey, sorry to bail on you. i think i'm going to join in with the "friends" playing on a regional vs race.[/quote]
No - it's cool. I prefer that anyway. Crazy connection issues tonight. I never have them except on Mondays when we do this.

[quote name='Doomed']fuck find a friend
I think I just bailed on you guys. DAMNIT! FAF made it seem like you were in some other regional vs race.[/quote]
Yeah - I'm getting mixed up too. I think we all need to find the same person. I vote for you , Doomed.

i got janet, jeffrie, and someone else I can't remember. I think there was a third person. But it def wasn't DESTROYO
edit2: no third person as far as I can see

[quote name='Doomed']i got janet, jeffrie, and someone else I can't remember. I think there was a third person. But it def wasn't DESTROYO
edit2: no third person as far as I can see[/quote]
I'm up as just "mephitical" now. I'm just being allowed to join you now. Are you playing and typing at the same time?

[quote name='Doomed']@TMK

besides initial BS, regional>friends only. In and out whenever!
race over again[/QUOTE]I'm considering that actually for the future actually. I just wanted to give it another try (I've done it a few times) with a few people I fully implement it.

1.5 hours in a row of Mario Kart is a little too much. If you guys are still on in .5 hour or so I may come back.

Now that I'm off, regional in more depth.

+in/out whoever, whenever. Like tonight, if the ringleader leaves but people want more, they can keep playing seamlessly.
+-more people
+- VR/BR
-people other than host have trouble getting in

[quote name='Doomed']1.5 hours in a row of Mario Kart is a little too much.[/QUOTE]
This is a joke, right? There is no such thing as too much Mario Kart.

[quote name='Zing']This is a joke, right? There is no such thing as too much Mario Kart.[/quote]
Yes there is. 1.5 hours in a row is too much. Unless we're talking about Mario Kart 64 battle mode. Then there's a way higher "too much" threshold.

[quote name='Phoenix Audubon']Close one there, Janet...you really give me a run for my money![/quote]
Are you Frosty? Man I got terrible breaks tonight! It wasn't even funny. When you said you were going to leave I decided I was going to go at you that entire cup, But then on the second stage I was hit with a blue shell right at the finish line. Then in the last stage I was coming off of a ramp and was electrocuted off the stage :bomb:

But I'm glad you stuck around for another cup so I could beat you :lol:

Yes, regional races are very fun! I couldn't figure out why you guys kept dropping out. Jeffrie is a monster during regional. I'm a bit scared to play again :lol:

side note: my nunchuck is going out! Twice tonight I lost all stearing and had to unplug and then reconnect the nunchuck, right in the middle of the race!

[quote name='Zing']This is a joke, right? There is no such thing as too much Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]

i was going from 7 to 9:10 and i could have gone further, but i had to get to the store before it got too late. daisydog was still on there too.

i definitely liked playing in the regional vs. i miss keeping score and getting ranked every 4th race. so i wouldn't want to get rid of it altogether. but regional play can still be a lot of fun.

i thought we had some pretty good races. i was able to get two 1st places purely from the passing blue shell hitting janet. both, right near the end.

[quote name='buttle']
i thought we had some pretty good races. i was able to get two 1st places purely from the passing blue shell hitting janet. both, right near the end.[/quote]
That's been the story of my night :lol:

I'm going to play for another hour.

There were only 4-6 when I was up but the people there were tough and that made for some good races last night. I was in there from 9:30 until about 10:30.

I switched my Mii out for MK to one named 'wubb' so I'm assuming I showed up as wubb for people last night? I figured that would make things a lot easier to keep straight. Can somebody confirm that for me?

Ran Mushroom Cup on 150cc this morning and finally starred it. (Dry Bowser is mine!) I believe I have just one more cup on Mirror mode to win and everything will be unlocked. Well everything except Mii outfit B I suppose. I've unlocked 24-25 expert staff ghosts so I guess I have a few more to go to get that one.

I'll probably give starring all of the mirror cups a shot but out of the 7 I've beaten so far I think I've gotten stars on just 2 or 3 of them. I think 1 star will be attainable for me on everything. Two stars will be too frustrating as it seems like getting knocked off the course one time (even if it's by a lightning, POW or blue shell) or other small things like that bump you down to 1 star even when you kill it on every race. And there's just no way I'll be getting 3 stars on everything. I'll probably 3 star all of the 50cc just for the hell of it though. The couple I've re-ran now that I know the courses and have played a good bit of MK were pretty easy to 3 star.

[quote name='Doomed']@TMK

besides initial BS, regional>friends only. In and out whenever!
race over again[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a good idea to me.

[quote name='Daisydog']
Jeffrie is a monster during regional. I'm a bit scared to play again :lol:
[/QUOTE]

He's been sending me ghost challenges that are near impossible for me. I think I might be able to beat his Moo Moo Meadows if I run a perfect race. A few of the others are out of my league.

[quote name='wubb']
He's been sending me ghost challenges that are near impossible for me. I think I might be able to beat his Moo Moo Meadows if I run a perfect race. A few of the others are out of my league.[/QUOTE]

ha!,
i've been sending ghosts out to who ever is in 2nd place. trying to spur on some competition. i absolutely love time trials.

[quote name='buttle']ha!,
i've been sending ghosts out to who ever is in 2nd place. trying to spur on some competition. i absolutely love time trials.[/QUOTE]

I was number 1 on my friend list for Luigi Circuit and Moo Moo Meadows. Sent challenges to the top couple beneath me and now I'm number 4 or 5. :lol:

I need to get back into time trials. I know I had some ranked pretty high up there a few weeks ago, although I imagine by now they've all been obliterated.:lol:

I'm thinking we should have a CAG Mario Kart Wii social group. Would someone like Doomed, Daisydog, or someone be interested in creating one? I think it would be good for our community.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm thinking we should have a CAG Mario Kart Wii social group. Would someone like Doomed, Daisydog, or someone be interested in creating one? I think it would be good for our community.[/quote]
The fuck is a social group? What would creating one do?
edit: Keeping my stupidity for future generations. When I figure out this fancy schmancy CAG 2.0 I guess I can.
"ETA is before midnight tonight" my ass.

[quote name='Doomed']The fuck is a social group? What would creating one do?
edit: Keeping my stupidity for future generations. When I figure out this fancy schmancy CAG 2.0 I guess I can.
"ETA is before midnight tonight" my ass.[/quote]
I was trying to figure that out too. I kind of thought that's what this thread was for, but I'm 2.0 retarted. That's like retarded, but tartier.

[quote name='mephitical']I joined, but what's the point again? I am so confused.[/QUOTE]

yea, i definitely like the idea of having a group. but i'm confused as well.
i do kind of like having all discussion in one area.

is it craziness to just switch all conversation over to the groups. maybe just use the groups for announcements. i'm not sure.

Instead of cluttering up this thread on Mario Kart Mondays (except for reminders), we can post in the group about when regional slots are open, when races end, we just started, MKM is canceled, etc.

[quote name='Doomed']Instead of cluttering up this thread on Mario Kart Mondays (except for reminders), we can post in the group about when regional slots are open, when races end, we just started, MKM is canceled, etc.[/quote]
I'm with buttle - this seems counter-intuitive. Pretty much all the activity in this thread revolves around Mario Kart Mondays. I'm open to trying it, but I think I prefer everything in one place if it hasn't been a problem before.

Also, "I'm With Buttle" is a great name for an ABC Family sitcom.

You mean this thread might no longer be spammed with the "real time chat" and possibly become useful again? "General Discussion & Info" doesn't mean "chat room".

I played for a few hours last night. The first half of the night had the usual 1-2 dudes with ratings of 8000+ handily winning every race and farming 30+ points per. These guys seem to thrive on the 12 player races where there are 8 newbs battling for "not last" and 3 guys battling for "not first". I quit for a bit then rejoined later with two guys (seemed to be friends from mexico) with 8000-9000 rating, however there were only 4-8 people in each race. I was actually able to consistently come in 1st & 2nd. In any other game I would be concerned that the 100+ points I was getting per race would artificially inflate my rating, causing me to be matched with other players beyond my skill. However, it is pretty obvious that Mario Kart makes no attempt to match players of equal skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zing']You mean this thread might no longer be spammed with the "real time chat" and possibly become useful again? "General Discussion & Info" doesn't mean "chat room".

I played for a few hours last night. The first half of the night had the usual 1-2 dudes with ratings of 8000+ handily winning every race and farming 30+ points per. These guys seem to thrive on the 12 player races where there are 8 newbs battling for "not last" and 3 guys battling for "not first". I quit for a bit then rejoined later with two guys (seemed to be friends from mexico) with 8000-9000 rating, however there were only 4-8 people in each race. I was actually able to consistently come in 1st & 2nd. In any other game I would be concerned that the 100+ points I was getting per race would artificially inflate my rating, causing me to be matched with other players beyond my skill. However, it is pretty obvious that Mario Kart makes no attempt to match players of equal skill.[/QUOTE]

the biggest thing i've noticed about playing with 4-8 people is the high danger while in 2nd and 3rd place. there are always bullet bills, star powered karts, big karts racing through. when there are 12 people, that action seems to happen a little ways back. and it's a little more spread out.
because of this, i have more success at working my way back to 1st. or at least not getting hit and thrown to last place.

[quote name='Doomed']Instead of cluttering up this thread on Mario Kart Mondays (except for reminders), we can post in the group about when regional slots are open, when races end, we just started, MKM is canceled, etc.[/QUOTE]Yeah, and also, I dunno but it might be easier to get to the group (since it's go to social groups under USER CP. Basically, we can stick to Mario Kart Wii night instead of posts getting cluttered. That's why I created a social group for CAG Warhawk on PS3 (well, the clan) and so on.

Btw, I added you as a friend on CAG (check User CP). ;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, and also, I dunno but it might be easier to get to the group (since it's go to social groups under USER CP. Basically, we can stick to Mario Kart Wii night instead of posts getting cluttered. That's why I created a social group for CAG Warhawk on PS3 (well, the clan) and so on.

Btw, I added you as a friend on CAG (check User CP). ;)[/QUOTE]

it's a minor thing. but the cool thing about user CP for me, is that it tells me if there's a new post on any thread i've posted in.
but for groups, i haven't found any way of finding out that there's a new post without actually going to the group page. so, if there's an announcement on the group page, i won't find it unless i give in and go to that page every day.

it seems like the main thing that bugs people is the "real time chat," cluttering up the thread. so, if people want that to go to the groups, that seems fine. especially on monday nights.

My plan (and I'll post this in the group as well) is to have everything but maybe one announcement in the morning and one reminder when we start in this thread. The "chat" and posts like "regional race almost over, join NOWZ!" will be in the group. So on Mondays people will have time to see if anybody said anything in the group chat. I'll delete all unimportant comments every Friday or Saturday.

How does MK fair online? I have been very hesitant to pick it up since Brawl handles very poorly online. Do a lot of people get dropped from games or lag out, or did the big N get it right with MK?

When I first tried online matches, I often got dropped right after one race. But the last time I played 2 races--and won them both, netting ~300 points--they ran perfectly. So I think they've got the kinks worked out.

[quote name='LostRoad']How does MK fair online? I have been very hesitant to pick it up since Brawl handles very poorly online. Do a lot of people get dropped from games or lag out, or did the big N get it right with MK?[/QUOTE]

i've played over 5000 tracks online and i assure you that it's fantastic. there is no lag, and very few drops. and there's no hacking or snaking like there was on the ds game. it's got a great set up for friends, time trials, battle mode, sending ghosts back and forth, unique missions that come out every other week or so. somewhat like the ds missions.

the main flaw people mention is that the game doesn't match you up with similarly ranked players. and battle mode only let's you play in teams, which is still pretty fun.

That lightning cloud is getting on my last nerve! :bomb:
I just got it twice on Koopa's Cape, and twice on a Bowser stage. In KC I wasn't close to anybody both times. And on Bowser's castle I failed to pass it to anyone (my fault, I guess). The second one actually resulted in me getting bumped off the stage and finishing in 10th place...

But I did manage to get into a race against someone with a 9999 VR rating. He quit after I nearly beat him and so I quit that party trying to find better players. It ended up pairing me up with him again. We went to Luigi's Circuit and and I came in first while he came in last!
He lost 382 points :shock: poor guy! He quit again after that :lol:

[quote name='Daisydog']That lightning cloud is getting on my last nerve! :bomb:
I just got it twice on Koopa's Cape, and twice on a Bowser stage. In KC I wasn't close to anybody both times. And on Bowser's castle I failed to pass it to anyone (my fault, I guess). The second one actually resulted in me getting bumped off the stage and finishing in 10th place...

But I did manage to get into a race against someone with a 9999 VR rating. He quit after I nearly beat him and so I quit that party trying to find better players. It ended up pairing me up with him again. We went to Luigi's Circuit and and I came in first while he came in last!
He lost 382 points :shock: poor guy! He quit again after that :lol:[/QUOTE]

that always pisses me off. when high ranked players quit because they can see that they might loose. it's cool to know that that's where you top out.

as for the cloud, i went through a long stage where i didn't like it. but i'm finally getting pretty good at bumping people, so i'm starting to like it again. but it sucks when you're out in front of everybody. that lightning bolt really messes you up. also, i've also started to try and bump people when they are doing wheelies. i've started after seeing how much it slowed me down when other people have done it to me.

[quote name='buttle']i've also started to try and bump people when they are doing wheelies. i've started after seeing how much it slowed me down when other people have done it to me.[/QUOTE]

Lately, I have been using the piranha plant kart for fun. It is pretty bad in other aspects, but it seems to have the highest weight. I love being able to plow through everyone without getting pushed and hammer the little bikers.

Anyone having disconnect problems. I dominated a race on one of the old SNES tracks and as soon as I finished the race it said disconnected from race. The whole time there was someone in the race driving backwards and trying to get me to crash. I went to check my VR (it was at 5200 before the race) and it went down to 5064.

Is this just bad luck or can people really mess with others in terms of disconnects? This was only my 3rd race online so I'm new and don't really know all the ins-and-outs of this game yet.

bread's done
Back