Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

I should be there tonight. :D

Got my 2 star rank over the weekend. I do think I'm going to go for 3 stars in all cups now. I have one left to 3 star in Mirror, 3 left in 150cc and a bunch in 100cc and 50cc . But I figure if I can do them all in 150cc and Mirror I should be able to mop up what's left in 50 and 100.

So far I've been playing on a bike and Automatic (Funky on the Flame Runner) so I'm thinking once I 3 star everything I'll start a new license and use a kart with manual steering and see if I can complete all of the cups with that setup. I was using that setup for local MP over the weekend so things would stay interesting and I was using Baby Luigi on the Blue Falcon. [size=+2]Anybody have a good suggestion for character and kart?[/size] I haven't really played around with karts at all.

In general I'm not a completionist but every now and then I come across a game that compels me to do everything you can in the game. And it seems like those games are usually Nintendo.

Oh yeah I'm also using the nunchuck now. My earlier post about how the GC controller is much better to use than the wii wheel applies the same to the nunchuck but the disadvantage of the GC controller (having to take you finger off the steering wheel to do a trick and therefore making it tricky to neutralize a POW block in certain situations) doesn't apply to the nunchuck setup. I've played a lot with all three control methods (but not a classic controller) and they rank:

Nunchuck > Gamecube Controller >>> Wii Wheel.

But the Wii Wheel is still the most fun control method. You're missing some of the fun of the game if you don't play with the Wii Wheel a bit.

I hardly ever buy downloadable content but I'd buy a new set of cups for this game in a heartbeat. But can the Wii even do DC?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Yes capable but storage is a huge issue. My Life as King has DLC right now if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]

True, but for me it'd be the only thing on my Wii other than the free channels and game saves so hopefully no worries there. :D Probably a moot point as if N hasn't hinted at any DC for Mario Kart yet I doubt it's going to happen.

But man I'd love to have 4 new cups.

I'm done for the night.

Nobody is chatting in the Mario Kart Group thingy. LAME!

I think that's partly because the races happen so quickly together there isn't much time to post in between.

Just lapped the computer on a 50cc cup race. These 50cc cups are pathetically easy now but I need to 3 star them to get my rank.

[quote name='wubb']Nobody posts in this thread. :cry:

Three more cups to go for my 3 star rank. :D[/quote]
Nice!
Maybe I should try to go for more stars.

[quote name='homeland']Would love to post in this thread, but still haven't gotten the game =\ .Congrats though![/QUOTE]
Do you live on Mars? If so, you should expect your copy to arrive sometime in December. Unless, of course, you ordered from Dell, in which case it might arrive in time for Christmas... 2010.

I have just recently unlocked mirror cup and am now going through time trials. I just barely lose to the expert ghosts and I'm not really sure what else I can do to get faster. I also plan on trying to get 1 star in every cup, but it's harder than I expected due to the extreme luck in the game.

My online rating currently hovers around 6000+.

3 stars are mine! :whee:

I played a bit of online afterwards and definitely had the feeling that those 3 stars make me a target. :whistle2:k I think I'll make a new license, create a gray haired Mii and name it Grandma. :lol:

I'm just under 8K online.

[quote name='Zing']
I have just recently unlocked mirror cup and am now going through time trials. I just barely lose to the expert ghosts and I'm not really sure what else I can do to get faster. I also plan on trying to get 1 star in every cup, but it's harder than I expected due to the extreme luck in the game.
[/QUOTE]

It may seem that way but as you play you get better. At this point I can 3 star 50cc and 100cc nearly every time. 150cc and Mirror cups probably 2 out of 3 times or better.

For me anyway the game had a brilliant difficulty curve. From the start I could win the cup most of the time. Then as I got to the last few cups I switched to the gamecube controller and found that bumped me up to where I could star the tougher classes some of the time. By the time I was trying to star them all I was 2 starring them a good bit and 3 starring once in a blue moon. Then I went back to 2 star everything and I got to where I was 3 starring about half the time or more by the final one to 2 star.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wubb']3 stars are mine! :whee:[/QUOTE]

very impressive.
congratulations.
you're definitely right about being a target. i always enjoy the challenge of racing a 3 star.

Thanks!

Also cracked 8K online while I was racing daroga yesterday evening.

Gaining points online seems to be a factor of the people you get matched with (if you get matched with all lower VR scores it's really tough to gain any points for example) I guess that's kind of obvious. :shrug: Sometimes I race like crap and drop a bundle. But other times I'll race well and depending on who I'm paired with do anything from lose a bit/stay level to gain several hundred points over 5-6 races.

The really good dude that matched with daroga and I yesterday was over 9K and he was only gaining 20-30 for winning and got +0 one time for coming in 2nd. Yeesh.

I figure today I'll start the new license using Baby Luigi in a kart with manual steering. I'd like to use the Blue Falcon but I guess I won't unlock that on the new license for quite a while if ever.

Hmm switching to kart + manual steering might not be as challenging as I expected. 2 and 3 starred my first two cups. But they were both 50cc so I guess I'll see how it goes on the tougher classes.

Pretty certain I'd do much worse in MP with that setup though.

i ran into a 9999 ranked player for the 1st time. i beat him once. but only once. he actually only had one star. not a surprise i guess. i'm sure he's spent the high majority of his time online.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever do anything about the exploited time trials. For example: Mushroom Gorge. It's stupid and obvious. Companies running this stuff need to grow some balls and permanently ban these idiots.

[quote name='buttle']i ran into a 9999 ranked player for the 1st time. i beat him once. but only once. he actually only had one star. not a surprise i guess. i'm sure he's spent the high majority of his time online.[/QUOTE]

So that's the cap? Didn't know that. How many points did he drop when he didn't come in 1st?

--

150cc was definitely more challenging with the kart+manual. Came in 1st/2nd/1st/2nd to scrape out the cup win and an A ranking. I think I may need to switch to a medium sized character to get a speedier ride. I definitely need to do that for MP as I was playing some local MP and I just couldn't catch anybody with Toad in the standard kart unless they screwed up or I got a power power-up.

[quote name='wubb']So that's the cap? Didn't know that. How many points did he drop when he didn't come in 1st?[/QUOTE]

only 10 points. and he got 2nd place right behind me.

[quote name='Zing']I wonder if Nintendo will ever do anything about the exploited time trials. For example: Mushroom Gorge. It's stupid and obvious. Companies running this stuff need to grow some balls and permanently ban these idiots.[/QUOTE]

yea, i'd love it if they could do something. i wouldn't assume that it would be that hard to give an update. but i don't know.

As far as exploits on time trials if they can update the game to remove the exploit they should do that and then clear out any times below a certain threshold that are impossible without pulling it. I think banning people for doing it would be extreme as the bug that allows it is N's fault.

--

Oh yeah I fell in the lava twice on the final course of the Star (I think) cup and still got a 2 star rank. Figured I was no better than 1 star after that for sure. First was that damn Luigi bumping me off the first jump and the second was a very ill timed (for me) lightning from a cpu at the back of the pack.

I believe I got a 3 star one time when I had fallen off the course so it's not impossible. Still I'd say you may as well save the time and reset if you are on one of the first 2 courses when you get knocked off.

Concentrate on not bumping the walls, not going off course (but you can do either a few times and still get a 3 star) winning every race, winning by a good margin, winning with a good time, and most importantly not falling off the course. Actually not falling off and winning every race seem to be the 2 most important factors. Do that and keep your racing clean (on the track and no wall bumps) and you get a 3 star fairly easily.

The course where I seem to get knocked off the most through no fault of my own is those damn linked shrooms on Mushroom gorge. A blue shell, lightning, or POW block when you are in the middle and you have to get lucky.

Keep training until you can eat lightning and crap blue shells.

I tried for my first three star today. I ended in first by a huge margin each time and never fell off. I still only got two stars. The only mistake I can recall is one time I used a mushroom a little too early and it wore off before I was completely out of the grass.

[quote name='Zing']I tried for my first three star today. I ended in first by a huge margin each time and never fell off. I still only got two stars. The only mistake I can recall is one time I used a mushroom a little too early and it wore off before I was completely out of the grass.[/QUOTE]

Huh, that is strange. I also saw a thing that doing tricks and hitting enemies with your weapons helps a little and getting hit by enemy weapons hurts a little. So I try to always have a banana or shell dragging behind me w/ one in reserve and drop one every time I come up on a new set of ? blocks in the hopes someone will slam into it.

Were you in 1st place most of the time through the races? I'm pretty sure that is a big factor too.

Well, hadn't been able to ever play this online since launch but today I changed my access point channel from 11 to 1 and it worked fine. I'm not sure if I'm disgusted or relieved. So anyone I've added maybe we can finally play now and if anyone else wants to play just drop me a PM sometime.

To hell with the 3 star rank. I'll probably go for 2 but I just seem to be unusually lucky with the CPU timing on the lightning bolts and blue shells and as a result getting two stars for otherwise great racing.

I'm down to go at 9:30 EST.

I'd like to do a room if we get a decent turn out. If there are just a few I guess we should do Regional or Worldwide races.

I'm having a hell of a time maintaining/increasing my VR score. I peaked at about 8300 and then had a disastrous run where I finished near the bottom of a group where I had the highest score and then got disconnected twice. That dropped me down to nearly 7500 and I seem to be winning 3 or 4 races in a row to gain 150-200 and then giving nearly all of that back with one poor finish. I guess it'd help if I got paired up with more high score racers.

[quote name='cochesecochese']To hell with the 3 star rank. I'll probably go for 2 but I just seem to be unusually lucky with the CPU timing on the lightning bolts and blue shells and as a result getting two stars for otherwise great racing.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

[quote name='wubb']I'm down to go at 9:30 EST.

I'd like to do a room if we get a decent turn out. If there are just a few I guess we should do Regional or Worldwide races.

I'm having a hell of a time maintaining/increasing my VR score. I peaked at about 8300 and then had a disastrous run where I finished near the bottom of a group where I had the highest score and then got disconnected twice. That dropped me down to nearly 7500 and I seem to be winning 3 or 4 races in a row to gain 150-200 and then giving nearly all of that back with one poor finish. I guess it'd help if I got paired up with more high score racers.

:cool:[/QUOTE]I think that's what I'll do, get people in a room at 9:30pm EST for 2-3 race sessions. If not enough show up, we'll just do regionals and so on. I'll leave the Mario Kart group open checking constantly (and posting) at 9:30pm EST.

I'm TOTALLY NOT LATE!

And I will be there at 9:30 EST. With my new Wii component cables.:D Zack & Wiki looked great, can't wait for my first Mario Kart component experience.

I have been doing more time trials and trying for star ranks. I am halfway through the 100cc and can consistently get 1-2 stars. I haven't had much bad luck yet. Time trials have been annoying, though. Most tracks I breeze through on the first try, but some, such as Bowser's Castle, have the arbitrary obstacles that like to ruin my time on the final lap. Plain, pure-skill tracks such as Rainbow Road are easy.

I haven't played Mario Kart since the N64, so I don't know when this crime against humanity was introduced, but the blue shell is just plain stupid. It is often launched by someone near the end of the pack who has very little chance of placing, so it ends up just being a random kingmaker item, allowing the 3rd-4th place person to skate by, often for the win on the last part of the last lap. it's even worse when I am about to finish in 3rd place and the blue shell is going for the person in 1st. Then they finish while it is still in the air, so it comes down and hits me instead. Whee! And I thought the Bullet was ridiculous.

[quote name='Zing']
I haven't played Mario Kart since the N64, so I don't know when this crime against humanity was introduced, but the blue shell is just plain stupid. [/quote]

It started in the N64 version.

[quote name='Rig']It started in the N64 version.[/quote]
IIRC in MK64 it stayed on the road and hit anybody in its path, not just the leader. (like the orb thing in PS1 Crash Team Racing)

[quote name='Doomed']IIRC in MK64 it stayed on the road and hit anybody in its path, not just the leader. (like the orb thing in PS1 Crash Team Racing)[/QUOTE]

So others have to move out of the middle or it would hit them instead? I like that twist.

It's happening right now.

They just switched to regional races from a room I believe, so you can join in session provided there aren't 12 in their room.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Ohh... I just remembered! When does this Mario Kart Monday thing all go down?[/quote]
Right now - the east coasters already start to drop off around this time, we're playing regional right now by following someone on our friends list.

I need to get in on this MKM stuff. I would greatly enjoy attempting to win, even though I am terrible at this game.

Might add some codes up ins tonight later on.

[quote name='Strell']I need to get in on this MKM stuff. I would greatly enjoy attempting to win, even though I am terrible at this game.

Might add some codes up ins tonight later on.[/QUOTE]

The competition is fierce which makes for good matches.

just for the record, i explored going for 3 star this week. i got 2 star on the 4 new cups on 150cc. it didn't take too much effort. so, i bet i could get 2 stars if i wanted it. perhaps, someday, i'll go back and see if i can get a 3 if i put my mind to it.

[quote name='Doomed']IIRC in MK64 it stayed on the road and hit anybody in its path, not just the leader. (like the orb thing in PS1 Crash Team Racing)[/quote]

True, although I don't think it intentionally hit player's between the 1st place guy. It simply followed a path, and took out anyone that was directly on it.

[quote name='wubb']So others have to move out of the middle or it would hit them instead? I like that twist.[/quote]

It would keep going through people until it hit first place. The ground blue shell was much easier to avoid, when compared with the flying one.

It was grounds better than the current blue shell. I think I could tolerate it much better if it was somewhat more avoidable.

After playing some more tonight, I have to say that the Wii version doesn't rank as high on my scale due to some glaring issues with the game. If it weren't for online play, I don't think I would play it at all anymore. I would take Double Dash over this any day...

[quote name='Rig']True, although I don't think it intentionally hit player's between the 1st place guy. It simply followed a path, and took out anyone that was directly on it.

It would keep going through people until it hit first place. The ground blue shell was much easier to avoid, when compared with the flying one.[/QUOTE]

So it was kind of like the bullet? Only the shooter didn't get to ride along with it and it ran all the way to 1st place (unlike the bullet that runs a certain distance and then the dude reverts back to a normal racer.)

bread's done
Back