Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

Unlocked all expert ghosts today. It's amazing how much better I play on regular races now.

I also 1 starred (about half 2 starred) all of 50cc and 100cc now. I have 3 of the 150cc 1 starred so far. It really doesn't seem that hard to 2 star assuming you don't get unlucky.

Past two times online I've been matched with nearly all racers with much lower VR scores which makes it near impossible to gain any real points. But it is fun to win most of the races. :D

[quote name='wubb']Past two times online I've been matched with nearly all racers with much lower VR scores which makes it near impossible to gain any real points. But it is fun to win most of the races. :D[/quote]
Since I'm in the upper 8000s it keeps putting me in races where just about everyone is about 700 points from getting 9999, and there's always one guy who's already there. Even though it's always a small group with only 3-6 players, I'm having loads more fun now!
I like being able to see how the skilled players race. And I love ruining their day with bananas and green shells :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the mid 7000s and I've been slapped in with all people in the low 5Ks (or even below 5K) Yesterday I think I did 7 races. Came in 1st 6 times and 2nd once (damn Luigi Circuit crap shoot) and gained maybe 180 VR points.

Now I could obviously just quit out when I see all low scores and try to connect again, but as I said I enjoy winning. :lol:

The blue turtle shell is avoidable. Wait until the shell gets near you and just as it starts to descend, use your mushroom...I avoided my first one by accident doing that today.

[quote name='wubb']So it was kind of like the bullet? Only the shooter didn't get to ride along with it and it ran all the way to 1st place (unlike the bullet that runs a certain distance and then the dude reverts back to a normal racer.)[/quote]

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate description.

[quote name='ZForce915']The blue turtle shell is avoidable. Wait until the shell gets near you and just as it starts to descend, use your mushroom...I avoided my first one by accident doing that today.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting.

It wasn't that somebody else popped into 1st place momentarily (or was in 1st place when the thing launched) and the blue shell actually veered over to them was it?

[quote name='wubb']Very interesting.

It wasn't that somebody else popped into 1st place momentarily (or was in 1st place when the thing launched) and the blue shell actually veered over to them was it?[/QUOTE]

i think i can speak for ZForce915 and say no. i've dodged the blue shell this way as well. it's pretty rare you have any mushrooms when you're in first place. but when you do, they come in very handy.

It is certainly avoidable that way (though still pretty rare).

I have also seen a time or two when bouncing on those mushroom tops has allowed 1st place to dodge the blue shell.

It was more easily done on Mario Kart DS. When the shell is coming you start sliding, and then right as it paused above you you would hop to change your direction and use a mushroom to boost out of the way. It could only be done with split-second timing.

On the Wii version I've only been able to dodge blue shells by going into huge ramps or into cannons.
-

Does anyone else think that red shells are dumber in Mario Kart Wii? I threw one on Dk Summit and it just went strait into the gap in the mountain. And countless times I've thrown one while in second place only to watch it speed past the person in front of me and crash into a wall. It's almost like it has to overcome it's own momentum of being thrown forward before it will start tracking. And if there's not enough space it'll just go into a wall.

And it's even more ridiculous being a half lap ahead of computer players and still being hit by red shells! :lol:

[quote name='Daisydog']
Does anyone else think that red shells are dumber in Mario Kart Wii?[/quote]
Yes. But if they get a target it will HUNT YOU DOWN and kill you and your family.

I posted this in the Mario Kart group as well, but I will once again be unable to attend next week's MKM.

I know this isn't Monday, but I'm trying to get some Mario Kart going today (Sunday) so if anyone would like to join just send me a PM or something on here and add my code. We're also going to be doing voice chat through the 360 while we play. Also, I'm Ultimate Matt X on AIM too if anyone wants to let me know when they're on.

I'll be on tomorrow for Mario Kart Monday too.

[quote name='Bezerker']So, is this game rare now? Seems really strange that its going for up to $110 on ebay.[/QUOTE]

i looked it up. you're right. that's just crazy. the wii is so weird. i can't think of any other console where it's consistently this hard to buy games.

Ok, there will be a game tonight at 9:30pm EST. I was busy beating a game earlier today, but I'm done with that. I'll be posting the game within the group as far as when we are done.

Ultimate Matt X, I will add your Mario Kart Code, just gotta figure out what it is (I'll make room for you). Mine is in my profile.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Okay I'll add you, if for some reason mine in my profile doesn't show up for you it's 2878-9975-1410.[/QUOTE]I found it. I looked after I made my post.

EDIT: I added you.

When we get a game going does everyone have to have each other's friend codes or like if I host can you guys that have me added join in and then your friends can join through you if there is room?

It was nice playing with everyone if I don't see you on more tonight. I would have been back on sooner, but I was dealing with various crap including my mp3 player falling into the toilet, heh.

I definitely need to learn better rider/vehicle combos and learn to manually drift, but it wasn't too bad considering I'm new to online play.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']When we get a game going does everyone have to have each other's friend codes or like if I host can you guys that have me added join in and then your friends can join through you if there is room?[/QUOTE]

no, the host needs to have everyone's codes. and everyone needs to have the host's codes. it was great having you there tonight. the more cags the better.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']
I definitely need to learn better rider/vehicle combos and learn to manually drift, but it wasn't too bad considering I'm new to online play.[/QUOTE]

I'm a lot better with automatic drift. :shrug:

Wow, people actually use automatic drift? How can you possibly win against people boosting and doing wheelies? I assume you use manual drift online at least.

*shrugs* I use automatic drift, and I do quite well. Maybe while people are too busy sliding around, I stick close to turns, so maybe that compensates?

In any case, I ride bikes, so I also wheelie, so there's that...or something...

I peaked at 8300 using automatic drift. I'm not sure if you'd have to switch to manual to be at the top echelons but you can beat 95% of people online using automatic drift without much problem.

I've played around with manual drift online and while I'm not nearly as good I still seemed to beat most of the people online. (Or it could have been I was just matched up with weaker players.)

Frankly if you haven't played much on automatic I'd give it a try and see which way works best for you.

I can't stand automatic. It feels like I'm not doing anything and I need that speed boost. At first I felt like they threw that in there for the little kids so they'll be able to keep up with better players. But the few times I accidentally put it on automatic for online races I've been humiliated! I wasn't used to it and it definitely takes some perfecting to get really good with.

I played a funny group of people yesterday. It was Mr. Bean, Mrs Bean, Bean's mom, Bean's dad, and Bean's unc! That had me rolling in laughter! Bean's dad was the only one with real skill, but Bean's mom was helping him out by stopping and waiting for players to come around the corner so she could hit them with items.

Which reminds me, when are we going to do our regional theme night for MK Mondays? I figured we could all go bald :lol:

[quote name='Daisydog'] but Bean's mom was helping him out by stopping and waiting for players to come around the corner so she could hit them with items.[/QUOTE]

That's dirty pool.

Does anyone else focus in more on taking out people named 'Dad' or 'Mom'?

I think my thought process goes - WTF, you aren't a dad or mom if you are actually good at this game. Liar! Taste red shell.

[quote name='Daisydog'] but Bean's mom was helping him out by stopping and waiting for players to come around the corner so she could hit them with items.[/QUOTE]

That's dirty pool.

So you use manual steering with a bike? I always figured it'd make more sense to use a kart with manual so you could get the super boost, but no?
--

Does anyone else focus in more on taking out people named 'Dad' or 'Mom'?

I think my thought process goes - WTF, you aren't a dad or mom if you are actually good at this game. Liar! Taste red shell.

[quote name='Daisydog']I can't stand automatic. It feels like I'm not doing anything and I need that speed boost. At first I felt like they threw that in there for the little kids so they'll be able to keep up with better players. But the few times I accidentally put it on automatic for online races I've been humiliated! I wasn't used to it and it definitely takes some perfecting to get really good with.

I played a funny group of people yesterday. It was Mr. Bean, Mrs Bean, Bean's mom, Bean's dad, and Bean's unc! That had me rolling in laughter! Bean's dad was the only one with real skill, but Bean's mom was helping him out by stopping and waiting for players to come around the corner so she could hit them with items.

Which reminds me, when are we going to do our regional theme night for MK Mondays? I figured we could all go bald :lol:[/QUOTE]

that's really funny. but very mean.

for the automatic. i tried it only once, and it just felt funny. my wife likes it though. she has never been able to get use to sliding on any of the mario karts. but for me, sliding is the best part. even if i was able to win on automatic, i don't think it would be worth it to me.

and if we do a theme night. my only vote is for one all karts cup. though, that would probably be better in a room rather then in regional. it would be fun to all do something with our miis. going bald isn't a bad idea.

[quote name='wubb']
So you use manual steering with a bike? I always figured it'd make more sense to use a kart with manual so you could get the super boost, but no?
[/quote]
Really I just play with what I feel comfortable with. I like using my Mii even though I'm teeny-tiny. In single player, I hated switching to a bike, but once I completed it I found that I preferred bikes, so I stayed with that. I like being able to turn corners better and the speed boost you get from the wheelie. And besides, now I completely suck with the Karts! (Jeffrie, if we did an all kart night it would have to be in a room so I wouldn't lose 500+ VR points :lol:)

I have my Magikoopa carcass which I've found to control better than any other bike I've tried. So that's pretty much how I race. I've never even really looked into shortcuts or which bike is the best :lol:

[quote name='buttle']for the automatic. i tried it only once, and it just felt funny. my wife likes it though. she has never been able to get use to sliding on any of the mario karts. but for me, sliding is the best part. even if i was able to win on automatic, i don't think it would be worth it to me.[/QUOTE]

Oh, it's worth it. :D

[quote name='Daisydog']Really I just play with what I feel comfortable with. I like using my Mii even though I'm teeny-tiny. In single player, I hated switching to a bike, but once I completed it I found that I preferred bikes, so I stayed with that. I like being able to turn corners better and the speed boost you get from the wheelie. And besides, now I completely suck with the Karts! (Jeffrie, if we did an all kart night it would have to be in a room so I wouldn't lose 500+ VR points :lol:)

I have my Magikoopa carcass which I've found to control better than any other bike I've tried. So that's pretty much how I race. I've never even really looked into shortcuts or which bike is the best :lol:[/QUOTE]

I haven't really tried manual + bike at all but I should probably give it a look. I guess it all depends on if wheelie + mini-boost > no wheelie + maxi-boost.

Right now the places I mess up most on manual are spots that snake back and forth like the final boosts + jump on Toad Factory (I think it's Toad Factory) or parts of the hill on DK Jungle Mountain.

I did try automatic for about 6 races the first time I played the game. I was at a friend's house and just testing the game out. The whole time I was cursing and saying HOW THE fuck DO YOU BOOST and he had no idea because he had never played a Mario Kart game before. I didn't think Nintendo would have even offered the option since it has been manual in every Mario Kart game except the SNES.

I just can't see how you could do better on automatic. It's the exact same as manual except you don't get the boosts. In particular, if you are using a gamecube controller, you wouldn't get the occasional "oh shit I am sliding the wrong way" thing I get with the wheel (which usually only happens in time trials when I am pushing everything to the limit), so it would be even better.

[quote name='wubb']Oh, it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

so, since it's all out in the open. did you play the last 2 mario karts?

I didn't care for Double Dash much at all. Can't remember the N64 version but I think I did own it.

I almost never have people around for local MP so Mario Kart Wii is my fave by far.

[quote name='wubb']I didn't care for Double Dash much at all. Can't remember the N64 version but I think I did own it.

I almost never have people around for local MP so Mario Kart Wii is my fave by far.[/QUOTE]

yeah, after getting use to the double dash, i could never switch to auto. but i think it's pretty cool that you can. and you're proof that you can still go fast without manual. i wouldn't have thought it was possible, but obviously it is.

Played a bit with a bike + manual yesterday. Won a few but eventually I was finishing 3-6th out of 12 with everyone in the 5Ks so I'm definitely not as good. At least not at my current practice level.

I hate MKW single player. The game is so broken... my backloggery page laughs at me with a beaten symbol next to MKW. I want to complete it, but it's such a crapshoot.

I'll be there for MK Monday if there is one.:lol:

Agreed. It was/is a goddamn chore getting through the single player but the multiplayer is pure platinum. I'm going to hit up a few different games and then come back to this between WarioLand and Animal Crossing (I won't be playing anything else after AC comes out).

I can't even count the number of times this week I've crawled into the 9000s only to be forced into coming in a terrible place, multiple times! It literally drags me kicking and screaming back to 8700 :-({|=

Finally I did the smart thing and reached 9000 and then... shut the game off!

I look forward to losing it all on Monday. Did we get confirmation on an all Kart room?

I should be on tonight.

If we are doing something unusual like all carts or whatever, just let me know. I don't think I'd want to do anything like that on Regional Races but I'd be down to do this in a room. Problem is I'm sure there'll be some people in the room that aren't aware we are doing it. :shrug:

[quote name='Doomed']I hate MKW single player. The game is so broken... my backloggery page laughs at me with a beaten symbol next to MKW. I want to complete it, but it's such a crapshoot.
[/QUOTE]

You have the 3 stars so what's left to complete on SP?

I am still working for one star. I am so fucking mad at MKW as much as I don't want 1 star (to unlock all vehicles/characters) and 3 star I could hire a blind monkey to go for and it'd do better than me 40% of the time. Whenever I really hate MKW I just play another game. Lostwinds, MK64, something else that isn't so irritating. I've been playing other games a lot.

My FC is 3351-5909-1927, is there a thread where it lists everyone's friend code like a brawl thread or is everyone just sending pms and looking through this thread?

Also, when you guys play, do you guys use only the wheel method to play or any control method?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']My FC is 3351-5909-1927, is there a thread where it lists everyone's friend code like a brawl thread or is everyone just sending pms and looking through this thread?

Also, when you guys play, do you guys use only the wheel method to play or any control method?[/QUOTE]

we don't have any rules on the control method. some people use the wheel, some don't.

as for the codes. here is the thread. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181269
but a lot of people on that list don't play anymore.

if we open up a room you'll only need to trade codes with the host. we play mondays at 6:30(edit 6:30 pst), and manaknight is usually our host. and from there, you can automatically get everyone elses codes by hitting the register button.

we've been playing regional vs after the room, and for that you'll need everyone's codes. check out our "group." that's where we do most of our communication for monday nights.

bread's done
Back