Mario party 8

You know if this was released around the holidays I'd probably be more excited about it. In general my Summer activities have me going out, no staying in playing games in the heat. Around the holidays theres lots of parties and family gatherings that a Mario Party would accomodate. I had some 4 player WarioWare action over the weekend and it pushed me a bit towards MP, but I have to consider how often I'll get around to it again.

[quote name='io']I love how this game is a no-win proposition for us Wii owners. We're "sheep" if we listen to the few bad reviews and don't buy it. Yet we are brain-dead Nintendo fanboys who give them "a free pass for pumping out another cash grab, money milking Mario Party game" if we do buy it.

I'll add a third one - this is a stupid game to rent because you'll either hate it or will want to keep it to play a long time (or break out for parties, whatever). So, you're a moron if you waste a rental on this too! There - now there's no way to enjoy this game (or pass on it) without being put down!

You gotta love CAG![/QUOTE]

Yes! Exactly! This is the 8th installment of this game. If you liked it before, then I can see nothing that they can do to ruin the game, EXCEPT for the fact that they might break some mini games. (That's a huge flaw with some Wii mini-games) But it's either a love/hate game. If you got friends to play it with, you should be set. If you got kids, then you should probably enjoy it more (sorry to add on to the "kiddy" image, but still..)..but if you don't have anyone to play it with, then it isn't a 1player game.

Also, like Io said this isn't a rental game. ALSO, this isn't a game to wait for it to drop in price. EVen when Mario Party 7 came out, Mario Party 4 was STILL retailed NEW at $50. It was USED at EB/GS for $35..so, waiting for a price drop wouldn't do anyone good either :)

I'm excited, since I've played every Mario Party and I own them all except for Mario Party 2 & 3.

[quote name='io']I love how this game is a no-win proposition for us Wii owners. We're "sheep" if we listen to the few bad reviews and don't buy it. Yet we are brain-dead Nintendo fanboys who give them "a free pass for pumping out another cash grab, money milking Mario Party game" if we do buy it.

You gotta love CAG![/QUOTE]

Those two problems are easily solvable.

1. Get more sources to base your opinion on
2. Buy the game at a lower than retail price. This is CAG after all.

This way you can't be a sheep because you listened to many people and you aren't giving Ninty a pass because you didn't pay full price. :)

[quote name='A Happy Panda']That was me like a month ago. I was so desperate to try and find a good Wii game. I got Rayman, and Warioware, traded those back within 2 weeks. Then got Tiger Woods, which was iffy, and finally Paper Mario. I was literally just grabbing at titles. *sigh* Why won't you let me love you Wii?[/QUOTE]

As much as people over look it Excite truck is pure fun. I have sunk more time into that than Zelda at this point and I am not a huge racing fan, I do like racing but more Burnout than Gran Turismo type games.

I'll be grabbing it today. I mostly play single player, but I always enjoyed MP 1-4. Didn't play any of the GCN ones, so I want some more Mario Party action. It's been too long.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I'll be grabbing it today. I mostly play single player, but I always enjoyed MP 1-4. Didn't play any of the GCN ones, so I want some more Mario Party action. It's been too long.[/QUOTE]

Dud ya mean 1-3? 1-3 were N64 titles, 4-7 were Gamecube. I don't know about anyone else, but I had a BLAST with Mario Party 6...played the hell out of that game!

[quote name='lilboo']Dud ya mean 1-3? 1-3 were N64 titles, 4-7 were Gamecube. I don't know about anyone else, but I had a BLAST with Mario Party 6...played the hell out of that game![/quote]

Oh, alright. Then yeah, just 1-3. Whoops. :lol:

[quote name='seanr1221']Uh...what?[/QUOTE]

Does it run in progressive scan, 480P? Long story short, my HDTV's on the frits and only displays 480P and higher. It wont display 480i

[quote name='KongaKing']Does it run in progressive scan, 480P? Long story short, my HDTV's on the frits and only displays 480P and higher. It wont display 480i[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh now it makes sense. I thought you were a HD n00b and thought your display wasn't capable of showing 480i ;) Sorry bout that.

Hmmm, I'll go check out gamefaqs for ya.

[quote name='seanr1221']Ahhhh now it makes sense. I thought you were a HD n00b and thought your display wasn't capable of showing 480i ;) Sorry bout that.

Hmmm, I'll go check out gamefaqs for ya.[/QUOTE]

Hee yeah I can see how that was confusing. It sucks cause i cant play games like Trauma Center, or Rayman on my HDTV set.

Thanks for any help finding out. I checked for awhile last night and no one has said anything

[quote name='lilboo']Be careful :([/QUOTE]

*bursts through CAG's front door*

Phew..I survived...with no answer yet. One guy seemed to mention it runs at 480P, but I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about...I'm goin back in to the waste-land!

[quote name='seanr1221']*bursts through CAG's front door*

Phew..I survived...with no answer yet. One guy seemed to mention it runs at 480P, but I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about...I'm goin back in to the waste-land![/QUOTE]

Godspeed my friend

[quote name='seanr1221']Bleh, I hate that place, no one can give me an answer[/QUOTE]

And you expected different? It's like asking an elementary school math class to help solve a calculus problem. :)

[quote name='Scobie']And you expected different? It's like asking an elementary school math class to help solve a calculus problem. :)[/QUOTE]

Doing a google search, all I keep seeing is how the game isn't in widescreen.

I know I say it a lot, but I'm still baffled why Nintendo showcases the wii with a LCD all the time if they're not going to make 16x( and 480P standard.

[quote name='seanr1221']Doing a google search, all I keep seeing is how the game isn't in widescreen.

I know I say it a lot, but I'm still baffled why Nintendo showcases the wii with a LCD all the time if they're not going to make 16x( and 480P standard.[/QUOTE]

lmao, go over to Gamefaqs..ask the question then at the bottom say "RATE MY QUESTION!!!!!!!!111!"

lmao, I HATE that on Gamefaqs

[quote name='seanr1221']Bleh, I hate that place, no one can give me an answer[/QUOTE]

Oh well. Thanks for your help, I owe you one

Just got it and me and the wife played it. I am a fan of all but 4 and 5. But this whole motion sensing stuff is really fun. I's even got some minigames, aside from the main game, that you can use your Miis. Even my wife loved it! It's one of the very few games she asked to play again after playing it once. Freak what the reviews say. I could care less if it doesn't have Widescreen and that's that I have a 52" Sharp AQUOS LCD. The game is fun as hell. Some games are familiar, but the control scheme makes it so different. Just like Godfather Blackhand Ed.

I picked up Mario Party 8 during lunch at Best Buy for $38.99 after price matching with Circuit City!

I can't wait to go play this game!!!

[quote name='taz98spin']I picked up Mario Party 8 during lunch at Best Buy for $38.99 after price matching with Circuit City![/QUOTE]

as far as price matching with CC...did you just print off the page of the website and take that in to do it?

i'm going to get mine at BB and just wanted to know...

[quote name='pasteater']as far as price matching with CC...did you just print off the page of the website and take that in to do it?

i'm going to get mine at BB and just wanted to know...[/quote]

I don't know if they'll match that. I also PMed at BB, but I gave them the actual CC ad that came in the paper.

Not even close to being as fun as warioware. Not even the first one on gba.
Gamecube graphics are not welcome on a next gen nintendo system.
Smash bros and mario galaxy are basically system savers or breakers at this point.

[quote name='Da King']Not even close to being as fun as warioware. Not even the first one on gba.
Gamecube graphics are not welcome on a next gen nintendo system.
Smash bros and mario galaxy are basically system savers or breakers at this point.[/quote]

You do realize that the Wii is setting record console sales. It's just slaughtering the competition.
It's the hottest thing since sliced bread.

And it needs system savers?

[quote name='dallow']You do realize that the Wii is setting record console sales. It's just slaughtering the competition.
It's the hottest thing since sliced bread.

And it needs system savers?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does. Eventually people will realize that there are no decent games on the system when the hype dies down, and potentially trade them in, or upgrade to an Xbox 360 or PS3. Look at the N64, it was the same thing when the system first came out. It was sold out everywhere, it was a super hot product. Then two years down the line people were using the thing as a doorstop after the horrible releases. The Wii desperatly needs good games.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Yes, it does. Eventually people will realize that there are no decent games on the system when the hype dies down, and potentially trade them in, or upgrade to an Xbox 360 or PS3. Look at the N64, it was the same thing when the system first came out. It was sold out everywhere, it was a super hot product. Then two years down the line people were using the thing as a doorstop after the horrible releases. The Wii desperatly needs good games.[/quote]

It might need system savers WAY down the line, it certainly doesn't need them right now.

PS3 could use a boost, poor baby.

As for the 64, damn, those high game prices HURT!!

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Yes, it does. Eventually people will realize that there are no decent games on the system when the hype dies down, and potentially trade them in, or upgrade to an Xbox 360 or PS3. Look at the N64, it was the same thing when the system first came out. It was sold out everywhere, it was a super hot product. Then two years down the line people were using the thing as a doorstop after the horrible releases. The Wii desperatly needs good games.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.
I remember how insane it was to get one of these!
Santa gave me a fuckin raincheck for Christmas LOL :whistle2:(

But personally, I did love my N64--but I agree with what he's saying in general about this.

My friends and I were playing this all day today and this is by far the most fun I have had with the Wii to date.

Then again we were playing with 4 players at all times so I am not sure how much fun this would be without 3 other people to play with.

CC "claims" it's sold out. I doubt them in a way, but it's too hard to argue whether they had it in-stock and was sold out, or they never got the shipment in the first place.

Do I really want to get it from EB? Hmm...

Ok, so who else has played this so far? I'm on the fence about it... I don't know that I'd get to play it with anyone but the hubby, so... is the speed of the game any faster than the previous ones? I remember playing the first couple on N64 and it was murder waiting for the computer to take all its turns. Has it gotten any better?

[quote name='PleasantOne']Ok, so who else has played this so far? I'm on the fence about it... I don't know that I'd get to play it with anyone but the hubby, so... is the speed of the game any faster than the previous ones? I remember playing the first couple on N64 and it was murder waiting for the computer to take all its turns. Has it gotten any better?[/QUOTE]

I just got done playing a 25 turn game w/ my bf and my brother.. and the cpu lol
it's fun.
It's not ZOMG MIND BLOWING.
It's nothing NEW.

However:
If you are a fan of Mario Party; you will like this game.
It's basically THAT simple. There's nothing new and groundbreaking about this game, it's just a new Mario Party just with wii remote controls. I'll probably be told I'm wrong for this, but I think the graphics look pretty awesome (YES, I KNOW THE Wii ISN'T POWERFUL, but this looks HELL of alot better then Mario Party 7!)

So..if you enjoyed them before--You'll like this one. Basically, just that :)
[/advice]

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Yes, it does. Eventually people will realize that there are no decent games on the system when the hype dies down, and potentially trade them in, or upgrade to an Xbox 360 or PS3.[/quote]

They will trade in their Wii to spend $500 more to play all the great games on the PS3. Definitely.

[quote name='lilboo']I just got done playing a 25 turn game w/ my bf and my brother.. and the cpu lol
it's fun.
It's not ZOMG MIND BLOWING.
It's nothing NEW.

However:
If you are a fan of Mario Party; you will like this game.
It's basically THAT simple. There's nothing new and groundbreaking about this game, it's just a new Mario Party just with wii remote controls. I'll probably be told I'm wrong for this, but I think the graphics look pretty awesome (YES, I KNOW THE Wii ISN'T POWERFUL, but this looks HELL of alot better then Mario Party 7!)

So..if you enjoyed them before--You'll like this one. Basically, just that :)
[/advice][/quote]

I agree, we just got done playing a 15 turn game and had a great time. Also it does look better than Marty Party 7 graphic wise. I enjoy it.

I bought it. Did 7 or 8 turns with my son before he had to go to bed. IN a nutshell it's Mario Party. I don't think anything here will swing a hater to a lover or vice versa.

quickie impressions.

Good: CPU seems to move faster. Game seems to move a bit faster. I love pointing to get through the menus and play the game. It feels slick. Mini-games so far are enjoyable and in the spirit of the previous games. The few I've played with motion controls are enjoyable. Haunted Mansion board is interesting.

Bad: Menus seems a bit plain. However, they are easy to use.

And to any complaining about the graphics or lack of widescreen I would just reply it's gall dam Mario Party. I thought it did look a tad better than previous MP games, but again it's Mario Party.

I love the game. The comp in 3 human 1 comp doesnt cheat as much. The damn screen is way too busy at times. I personally will beat anyone at the Chain chomp cleaning game. Bought the taunt package at the bazzar, it is most definately the first purchase anyone should do in Mario Party

Sister and I just played MP8 tonight, it was both of our first time playing any type of MP game (we're more dedicated to WarioWare). Anyways, we had a ton of fun. At first we did the duel mode...that stunk...you only get mini-games depending on what block you hit. Then we did battle mode and that was much more interesting. If you've never played MP, this is a pretty fun Wii game.

Pros:
A lot of different mini-games. All have quick tutorials if you want and also a practice round(s) as well. Character reactions are funny. Chance part of the game can be fun or not, depending how you view it. It's a board game, so chance happens. I do like how the chance stuff does level the playing field more, so someone who was losing can now be contending all of a sudden.

Cons:
The emcee is very annoying in my opinion. Also, they could've had him actually talking instead of just grunting and whistling...or get rid of him and get that cloud dude that does the Mario Kart games...speakign of which, when is that coming out? :)

All-in-all, for not playing a Mario Party game EVER before, I'd give this a 7/10.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='jollydwarf']And now a PSA for those of you on the fence about this game (for full retail, anyway) that aren't so defiant as to totally disregard site reviews:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/935598.asp

(As for my post? Use your imagination. Hell, make up an incendiary quote and bash me for it. I'll play along.)[/QUOTE]

So, there's two really bad reviews weighing down what would otherwise be an 80ish-percent average? For a game on its 8th iteration? Thanks, for the link, jollydwarf! I'm definitely going out tomorrow to pick up my reserved copy at GS.

I'm 100% with Chris about the Wii needing more games. However, your argument fails because MP8 seems to be positively reviewed. Maybe if it had an average of 60% with one score at 75, I'd feel chilly towards it and would agree with you.

As it stands, I must quote Winston Churchill who once said, "jollydwarf, you are a troll of only medium caliber."

After playing 3 games, 1 single player and 2 multiplayer, This game reminds me of a less hectic and bizzare warioware. I definately reccommend this if you have friends to play with( The more the merrier. Add a Beer keg and you're set for the night). Otherwise, you wont like single player since it seems to take all as long hell to complete a 15 turn game.

Played this game earlier today, it really is pretty fun. And honestly, the graphics aren't as bad as people are saying they are. Remember, this isn't the PS3, it's the Wii. Yes, it's the same old Mario Party that's been released over and over, but there are new minigames; that's essentially what you're paying for here.

Aside from that, there's one called "Shake It Up," or something along those lines. In it, you must compete to shake a can as much as possible in order to make your can spew farther than the other players' cans.

...I'll let you use your imagination on that one.

Overall, I give it about an 8.5/10 IF you enjoy party games and you have some people to play with.

Tried it with my housemate. Graphics really don't matter when you're playing with other people, since you won't be focusing on that. The Goomba boardwalk is a bit linear compared to the old ones, but it's probably the easiest to get stars. When teaming up with AI to play mini-games, it can get frustrating when they're being stupid (the carrot and the Monty one, for example) Overall, a great game to get if you have other people to play with.

[quote name='Mogambi']I agree, we just got done playing a 15 turn game and had a great time. Also it does look better than Marty Party 7 graphic wise. I enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to disagree with you and Liboo here. Now, I think it's fairly clear I'm a Nintendo fan (not boy, just fan ;)). However, I was struck at how utterly atrocious the graphics are in this game COMPARED TO MARIO PARTY 6 & 7. This one seems more on par with 4, the first Gamecube one, to me. It isn't too bad during minigames, but on the boards we played tonight (the Koopa city one and the DK jungle tree one) the animations are not smooth and the framerate seems low - almost nausea inducing, actually. And the character models are VERY VERY plain. It isn't a technical issue as there isn't that much going on (it is not occasional slowdown but a constant) - it was just made that way. I'll have to pop in Mario Party 6 or 7 tomorrow to compare, but I swear it is a step back from those. And there's really no reason for it to be that way.

I don't mind the bizarre bordered widescreen and the games themselves are fine (and control seems just fine to me too) but the graphics just don't cut it. It isn't so much a matter of looking pretty - it is just an utter jag-fest and, more importantly, the framerate and jerky animations actually detract from the experience. Note that I am viewing it via component on a 51" HDTV, so maybe these flaws are more obvious. But, I also played Mario Party 6 & 7 via component on the same TV through my Gamecube and thought those looked pretty good.

Having said that, the gameplay is Mario Party just as I'd expect and the kids like it, so I'm definitely OK with my purchase (especially as I was able to get Gamecrazy to price match the $40 CC price and use trade-in credit so the actual cost to me was about $15-$20 of trade-in fodder).

By the way, in terms of fun boards, the Koopa one is pretty good because in order to get stars you just visit hotels and put money down on them. If you have the most coins on the hotel, it is yours, and it is either worth 1, 2, or 3 stars depending on how many coins are put into it (combined for all players). The board is pretty small so the hotels could change hands several times even during a 15 turn game. This board is actually pretty damn fun - and we ended up with about 18 stars combined in a 15 turn game - I've never seen that many in a MP game before ;). There have been variations like that in the previous games, and I like it MUCH more than the "find the one star that moves around" boards. Not to mention that you only need 1 coin to claim a hotel (and thus a star) when you first start.

i think overall this new edition is pretty great. a few too many sideways-holding remote minigames...but overall it's pretty great. the single player seems to take a little while longer than expected. there are some great animations and graphics features here and there. the bitesize cand is great...turning your character into it's 8-bit predacessor is just a riot (mmm...coin blocks).

i have to admit...the non-widescreen framed gameplay did bother me a lot at first...and maybe a little less after a few hours of play. it's just a little bit of a let-down that it was done that way.

overall...a fantastic game. well worth the new release price, especially (obviously) for 2 or more people.

also...i got BB to price match CC...added bonus.

[quote name='io']
By the way, in terms of fun boards, the Koopa one is pretty good because in order to get stars you just visit hotels and put money down on them. If you have the most coins on the hotel, it is yours, and it is either worth 1, 2, or 3 stars depending on how many coins are put into it (combined for all players). The board is pretty small so the hotels could change hands several times even during a 15 turn game. This board is actually pretty damn fun - and we ended up with about 18 stars combined in a 15 turn game - I've never seen that many in a MP game before ;). There have been variations like that in the previous games, and I like it MUCH more than the "find the one star that moves around" boards. Not to mention that you only need 1 coin to claim a hotel (and thus a star) when you first start.[/quote]

That is a fun board. My and my wife had tons of fun playing that game. I'm walking around the board getting every hotel, and my wife saves up all her coins to not only take them over, but blocks me from ever trying to come back. I also like how they can randomly change the bonus stars. The past MPs, it was always who had the most mini games won, who landed on the most ? spaces, and who had the most coins. This one randomly gives bonus stars for who used the most items, who landed on the most RED spaces and so forth. It definately made for some tense moments in the house. My nighbors are coming by this weekend, lets see how it is with 4 people.

[quote name='vasco']That is a fun board. My and my wife had tons of fun playing that game. I'm walking around the board getting every hotel, and my wife saves up all her coins to not only take them over, but blocks me from ever trying to come back. I also like how they can randomly change the bonus stars. The past MPs, it was always who had the most mini games won, who landed on the most ? spaces, and who had the most coins. This one randomly gives bonus stars for who used the most items, who landed on the most RED spaces and so forth. It definately made for some tense moments in the house. My nighbors are coming by this weekend, lets see how it is with 4 people.[/QUOTE]

Have you played 7? They did the random bonus stars in that.. I think they did that in 6 too :)

And as for the hotels, they did the same thing in 7. But with Windmills..lol

[quote name='tacklebox']
Aside from that, there's one called "Shake It Up," or something along those lines. In it, you must compete to shake a can as much as possible in order to make your can spew farther than the other players' cans.

...I'll let you use your imagination on that one.

[/quote]

ROFL!!! My wife said she felt like she was giving me a hand job. I felt like I was slapping the monkey as well. It made us laugh histerically! Good times so far.

No I never played 7. Six was as far as I got. I do have to buy 7, but when I find it cheap. They didn't have random stars in 6, I know that much. The mics were a fun diversion that never worked. When 7 came out, I was too busy with SOCOM 3.

bread's done
Back