Mario Super Sluggers - Aug 25, 2008

[quote name='The Crotch']Holy shit.

Io is a mod now?[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Yeah, shocking, eh? (BTW, it's been about 3-4 weeks now).

Anyway, I hear you lilboo on the motion plus. But if this is a better version of the GC Mario Baseball and plays similar to that then I have no problem with it. And obviously that didn't need any motion plus control. I just got my Nintendo Power and they gave it a 7.5 (haven't read the text yet though).

In any case, this being a first-party Mario title I'll get it at full price. I certainly hope it is not half price within a year ;). Though Mario Baseball on the 'cube did get cheap after not too long - it seems the Mario sports games are the exception to the $50 forever rule on the big Nintendo franchises.

I enjoyed the GCN version a lot, however, what did they really add to it? They only tweaked the graphics at a bare minimum (not really an issue, but still), added a few characters and gave it waggle.

Getting it now and getting it next year won't be much of a difference since either way it'll still be $50 :lol:

What they SHOULD have done was to give it Wifi AND/OR waited for MotionPlus. Without those 2, this is simply just a Gamecube game with wiimote flicking. :(

I'm interested in this game, but I never played the Gamecube version. I'm number 6 to get it from Goozex. Guess I'll be playing Mario Baseball first on the Wii.

Just read the NP review. As I said before, they gave it a 7.5. But this seems to be the issue of 7.5's, as they gave the same score to Force Unleashed on the Wii, and Disgaea and Dragon Quest IV on the DS.

It sounds like the game has a lot of improvements from the GC one and that the control scheme is actually pretty complex (overly simple control has always been a knock on Mario sports games so that should please the Wii haters). It looks like there is a lot more customization of teams - including the ability to pair up characters that have chemistry so they can pull of special moves. I forget exactly, but weren't you stuck with specific sidekicks in Mario Baseball, or am I thinking of Strikers? It also says there is a very deep single-player experience (something else usually lacking from the Mario sports games).

It does offer pitching and hitting identical to Wii Sports but also the option to use a regular controller, so that's good.

[quote name='io']It looks like there is a lot more customization of teams - including the ability to pair up characters that have chemistry so they can pull of special moves. I forget exactly, but weren't you stuck with specific sidekicks in Mario Baseball, or am I thinking of Strikers?[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Strikers. That said, it was damn near impossible to pull off those moves most of the time, in my experience.

I'm interested in this game, but not at full price. I've already got the GameCube one, and as much as I'd like this...I'm broke. :whistle2:(

anybody has actually have had hands on with this game? is it worth picking up? honestly i hated smash brawl and mario kart (both for the wii), and im thinking this is going to be just as bad but still im wondering.

Commercial is hiliarious for this game. Need a good coupon for this or else I'll just wait for a used copy or a buyXgetX promo.

[quote name='devildr1ver']anybody has actually have had hands on with this game? is it worth picking up? honestly i hated smash brawl and mario kart (both for the wii), and im thinking this is going to be just as bad but still im wondering.[/QUOTE]

No - my Blockbuster (where I have it preordered) won't have it till Friday. However, I'm fairly sure it is nothing like those other two games. But if you hated those because of the Mario theme (that being the only thing they have in common) then you won't like this either :lol:.

Bought it at circuit city today... the wii-mote mode is pretty stupid. Its a lot less fun than wii sports. Turning the controller sideways is much better, but it feels exactly like the gc version just a little worse. If I could return the game I would, which sucks because I was such a HUGE fan of the gc version. The game feels like they did not take the time to polish it up b/c of the lack of online play and the fact you can't use the gc controller. If you don't have the gc one, wait for a price drop on this.

[quote name='therocky2']Bought it at circuit city today... the wii-mote mode is pretty stupid. Its a lot less fun than wii sports. Turning the controller sideways is much better, but it feels exactly like the gc version just a little worse. If I could return the game I would, which sucks because I was such a HUGE fan of the gc version. The game feels like they did not take the time to polish it up b/c of the lack of online play and the fact you can't use the gc controller. If you don't have the gc one, wait for a price drop on this.[/QUOTE]

Wait, one of the reviews mentions the Wiimote + nunchuk mode as being the best control scheme. Did you try that?

I played through the practice modes to learn the new controls and then played an exhibition game and enjoyed it so far. Some aspects seem easier than the original (hitting zone shows the sweet spot for hitters) but there are also aspects that make it more interesting (anti-fielding items....which I forget exactly what they are called but are used to help cause errors, close plays are now up to who can get the button correct first instead of hoping you'll just bowl the third baseman or catcher over). Wiimote/nunchuck controls feel perfectly fine to use and I haven't had any problems with them so far. Lack of WiFi play does hurt if you can't have friends over, but thankfully I don't have that case. The gameplay overall isn't much different than the first, but that isn't a bad thing if you liked the first game which I did. Will post more after playing through more of the game.

Is this game seriously this bad? I just bought it today with the "Buy SMG2 get another game for $30 off". If it is I'm probably going to just take it back and try to get New Super Mario Bros wii if they'll let me.

I never played the GC version, but am definitely interested in buying it just for the fun of having another Mario sports game. (Haven't had one since the N64 era I think).

I would be happy paying $14.99 or so for it like you did with the coupon. Found a copy on Warehouse Deals so I bit on it for $2x something.

bread's done
Back