http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vDFZo5zmEY

Platform: Wii™
Launch Date: Feb 7, 2011
ESRB: E (Everyone)
Game Type: Sports
Players: 1-4
Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd.

General Information:

Four great sports make their move to the Mushroom Kingdom: volleyball, basketball, ice hockey and dodgeball. All four are included on one game disc – a great value for Mario™ fans, sports fans and everyone in between.

FEATURES:

• The cast of Mushroom Kingdom characters get together to play sports – Mario style. While the basic rules of the games apply, each one includes some magical Mario twists like coins and special items that ramp up the craziness and fun.

• While playing, gathering coins will build up bonus points. So when players score a point or basket, they also get the added bonus.

• Players collect items like a Koopa Shell to use against their opponents. They can even use special items to beat up on the other team while shooting or spiking. One example of a special ball move is using a Mini Mushroom to shrink the ball before it’s returned to the other side of the volleyball net.

• Each character has a signature move that’s almost impossible for opponents to stop. These include Mario’s fireball moves or Princess Peach’s heart-filled attacks.

• In the field of play, a variety of tricks will keep players on their toes. On DK Dock, the volleyball court will continually slide from left to right. On Bowser Jr. Blvd, the basketball court has bonus circles that frequently appear, offering both positive and negative bonuses that result in extreme point swings.

• In each sport, play with up to three players cooperatively or with up to four players competitively in a two-on-two match.*

Last edited by a moderator:
When the video was over, I was really surprised that all those games are going to be on one game disc. I was really expecting separate releases of Mario Hockey, Mario Volleyball, and so forth. All these sports games on one disc has my interest piqued for sure.

I would've been more confident in their quality had they been separate releases. Hopefully we aren't getting shortchanged on modes within each sport.

Looks interesting, but I want to see the control setup, and I'd also like to know if I can turn off the power-up items or not.

This game definitely looks fun. You have to love Dodgeball, and really Hockey and Basketball. I'm not as crazy about Volley Ball, but I could be convinced. May suffer from too-many-sport-itis, sure, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it. Hopefully it turns out as great as it looks.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I would've been more confident in their quality had they been separate releases. Hopefully we aren't getting shortchanged on modes within each sport.[/QUOTE]

My first thought too. My second thought: Developed by "Square Enix"... really?! Did SE develop Mario 3x3 basketball on DS too?

[quote name='doodofdoods']I would've been more confident in their quality had they been separate releases. Hopefully we aren't getting shortchanged on modes within each sport.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm concerned about that too.

I so loled at the idea of Mario Volleyball. Looks fun, but that fat little plumber just isn't who I think of when I think 'volleyball player.'

[quote name='Zmonkay']My first thought too. My second thought: Developed by "Square Enix"... really?! Did SE develop Mario 3x3 basketball on DS too?[/QUOTE]

Yup

[quote name='Zmonkay']My first thought too. My second thought: Developed by "Square Enix"... really?! [/QUOTE]

Hm, I missed that. Squee doesn't normally do crap.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Hm, I missed that. Squee doesn't normally do crap.[/QUOTE]

Mario Hoops 3 on 3 has like a 6.5 average on GameRankings. I found the game to be okay. Hopefully Square Enix learned from their mistakes and make this game better.

I used to love the old school volleyball games on the NES or SNES, can't recall exact titles right now, but they were damn fun to me. Hopefully this captures at least a bit of that.

Certainly interesting though to see Nintendo continue the loaning out of their IP's to let other Dev's at em. I think its a good road they have taken, maybe the sourness some dev's had about Nintendo was never being able to touch their IP's. It certainly would breed some dismay to always be 2nd best to first party Nintendo without a chance to try to make just as good games!

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I used to love the old school volleyball games on the NES or SNES, can't recall exact titles right now, but they were damn fun to me. Hopefully this captures at least a bit of that.[/QUOTE]

Super Spike V Ball!

[quote name='InvaderZim']I'll give 'Square' a shot... I -hated- the Sega Mario/Sonic games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't have any remote interest in a bunch more minigames for the Wii or DS, no matter if Mario and Sonic are stapled to the game.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I may pick this up. Holy... dodgeball?!?! AWESOME![/QUOTE]

I missed dodgeball being offered until I read the preview above. Sounds pretty promising and like a lot of fun. I'll watch this one with interest.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I used to love the old school volleyball games on the NES or SNES, can't recall exact titles right now, but they were damn fun to me. Hopefully this captures at least a bit of that.[/QUOTE]

Kings of the Beach. I loved that game.

OK, so I borrowed my buddies copy of Mario 3 on 3 for the DS... and all I can say is I hope they've learned from it and can make this good. It wasn't bad, per se, but it was very meh.

[quote name='utopianmachine']When the video was over, I was really surprised that all those games are going to be on one game disc. I was really expecting separate releases of Mario Hockey, Mario Volleyball, and so forth. All these sports games on one disc has my interest piqued for sure.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that too, but really, I don't think hockey, volleyball, and dodgeball would sell as great as Nintendo would want (unless I'm really undervaluing the Mario name....). The only one that I think could have would be Mario Basketball, and the DS one kinda soured that series. Honestly though, with SE back at the helm, I'm less than excited. While I wouldn't see this happening, I think Nintendo should have tried working with EA. Mario, Luigi, and Peach were already in NBA Street 3 (and SSX for that matter), and the overthetopness of those games would work great with Nintendo characters.

This has a lot of potential if it succeeds. If Nintendo's willing to put the developmental time in, they could even spin-off individual sports into entire Mushroom Kingdom-themed games. Mario Hacky Sack. Mario Jarts. Mario Cycling. Mario Tobogganing. The possibilities are endless.

While Sony and MS played catch-up at E3, Nintendo was out there innovating. They could've stopped at the 3DS, but nope. Mario-themed sports, bitches. IT'S FOR REAL.

Square developed Mario Hoops 3 on 3 for the DS, just to let you all know. That's probably why they're working on this. I really don't know how deep this game will be though. I also doubt it'll have online (although that'd be sweet).

[quote name='dragonjud'] Lots of fun if you have 4 players, but otherwise wait for a Sale.[/QUOTE]

This. A thousand times this.

Single player got old really quickly, but if you have at least one other person to play with, it's totally worth picking up. I mean, I didn't hate single player, but this game shines brightest with multiple players.

From what I managed to do last night, the online worked reasonably well. No problems, anyway.

One thing that really surprised me about this game? My favorite part is *easily* volleyball. Basketball and hockey are fine, but really feel like you're playing the same game no matter which you choose. Dodgeball is okay. So, yeah, volleyball is where it's at. Wasn't expecting that.

All this being said... I can't necessarily recommend this at $50. I liked it, and coupled with the TRU giftcard deal, I'm not too upset that I bought it. If it ever drops (or goes on sale) at $30 or less, I recommend it.

No, seriously, volleyball. Awesome.

[quote name='kodave']Nintendo Power gave it an 80. IGN a 65. GamePro a 60.

Sounds like I'll wait until its $25 or less.[/QUOTE]

Keep an eye out for Amazon. They usually lower the price of Nintendo games that other places don't. Nintendo games usually stay at the premium price. Satoru Iwata stated that if they did a budget line, people would just wait for the games to go down in price and then buy. Smart bastard.

[quote name='crunchewy']Does this have online play? If so, how well does it work?[/QUOTE]

No lag at all. You get punished for DCing early, too.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Keep an eye out for Amazon. They usually lower the price of Nintendo games that other places don't. Nintendo games usually stay at the premium price. Satoru Iwata stated that if they did a budget line, people would just wait for the games to go down in price and then buy. Smart bastard.[/QUOTE]

It's true Amazon lowers the price of Nintendo games the fastest. As for Nintendo games staying at premium price, that used to be true but isn't anymore. Metroid: Other M dropped ridiculously fast all the way down to $19.99. It hasn't taken long for DKCR and Kirby's Epic Yarn to drop to $30-35. Flingsmash dropped to like $30 and that includes a Wii Remote +. Wii Music dropped really fast once it was revealed to be shit. Target went as far as to clearance Punch-Out and Super Paper Mario. I don't believe that Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Strikers Charged, or Mario Power Tennis retained their value particularly well. Even Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 have dropped down to $35 on several occasions. Metroid Prime Trilogy was essentially clearanced out to become rare.

You never know when a game is going to become a Super Princess Peach or Wario Ware Smooth Moves, but for the most part I wouldn't worry about it anymore.

Although you're right, it's rare for a game to just drop and stay there.

Sure, there are sales where they drop to $35 or whatever (I don't believe either DKCR or KEY have dropped to $30 though) for a short period/sale, but nothing is permanent.

As for Metroid and FlingSmash dropping, it's due to sales. Other M was deemed to be shit pretty much, and the sales showed it. FlingSmash was another Wii Play, except worse, and the WR+ isn't really needed except for about 5 games, so few people bought it.

[quote name='Altanis']Sure, there are sales where they drop to $35 or whatever (I don't believe either DKCR or KEY have dropped to $30 though) for a short period/sale, but nothing is permanent.[/QUOTE]

DKCR was just $30 the other day on both Newegg and Amazon. The lowest I can recall KEY for was $35ish.

Nintendo doesn't seem to lower its MSRPs, but eventually reality will set in with the retailers via price cuts, sales, and/or clearance. Target can keep its Wii Music's priced at $49.99 but eventually they've got to move them. So while we mostly have to rely on sales to get 1st party Nintendo games at cheaper prices rather than rely on massive MSRP drops like say Ubisoft does, these sales occur with enough frequency that it doesn't hurt to wait it out.

I'm sure this game will be on sale for $35 (probably at Amazon) within the next couple of months, and that very well might be the best price for that time. But I'm in no rush to play it and I'm confident I can wait it out to even lower prices, and I don't think that's unrealistic for this particular type of game. It's not like I'm waiting out a Super Mario Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros game to $20 new. This is just a mediocre casual sports title with no advertising. I doubt it sells like gangbusters.

Looking through the (damaged, somewhat badly) copy of GI that I got in the mail today, it looks like they're on their usual "everything by Nintendo sucks" rag, because they gave MSM a 4.5.

Apparently, this game is as bad as Wii Party.

[quote name='kodave']DKCR was just $30 the other day on both Newegg and Amazon. The lowest I can recall KEY for was $35ish.[/QUOTE]
DKC:R has not hit $30. The price the other day was $35. Newegg had it for $35, then right about the time they sold out, Amazon dropped it to $35. The only time it's been $30 was if you had a $20 coupon at Kmart.

[quote name='kodave']Nintendo doesn't seem to lower its MSRPs, but eventually reality will set in with the retailers via price cuts, sales, and/or clearance. Target can keep its Wii Music's priced at $49.99 but eventually they've got to move them. So while we mostly have to rely on sales to get 1st party Nintendo games at cheaper prices rather than rely on massive MSRP drops like say Ubisoft does, these sales occur with enough frequency that it doesn't hurt to wait it out.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo doesn't lower the price because their games sell. That's the big thing. Mario Kart is still $50 more often than not simply because it sells a shit ton at that price. Same with NSMB. Now, yeah, games like Wii Music and Metroid Other M, that don't sell, will be plummeting in price normally. The big reason that the price of Other M fell was because it has a bug in it that can ruin the game, if you activate it.

[quote name='kodave']I'm sure this game will be on sale for $35 (probably at Amazon) within the next couple of months, and that very well might be the best price for that time. But I'm in no rush to play it and I'm confident I can wait it out to even lower prices, and I don't think that's unrealistic for this particular type of game. It's not like I'm waiting out a Super Mario Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros game to $20 new. This is just a mediocre casual sports title with no advertising. I doubt it sells like gangbusters.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure. The reviews aren't looking great, but it's Mario. Most people that buy it will know that it's not the caliber of NSMB or SMG, but that it's going to at least be decent.

All that aside, I'm also waiting on it. I have a $25 GC to Kmart coming in the mail hopefully within the next week, so that I can get DQ6 cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is ridiculously bad from what I have seen my 6 and 7 year old do. I haven't been paying 100% attention or anything but literally every time I walk in while the 6 year old is playing basketball the computer has 0 points. I just rented it as I was completely expecting this. Honestly in my opinion it isn't even worth $20. They will probably play it for the 5 day rental but if this was a purchase it would be on the shelf very very quickly. Very repetitive.

[quote name='schuerm26']This game is ridiculously bad from what I have seen my 6 and 7 year old do. I haven't been paying 100% attention or anything but literally every time I walk in while the 6 year old is playing basketball the computer has 0 points. I just rented it as I was completely expecting this. Honestly in my opinion it isn't even worth $20. They will probably play it for the 5 day rental but if this was a purchase it would be on the shelf very very quickly. Very repetitive.[/QUOTE]
You do know that there's varying difficulty levels right?

[quote name='schuerm26']This game is ridiculously bad from what I have seen my 6 and 7 year old do. I haven't been paying 100% attention or anything but literally every time I walk in while the 6 year old is playing basketball the computer has 0 points. I just rented it as I was completely expecting this. Honestly in my opinion it isn't even worth $20. They will probably play it for the 5 day rental but if this was a purchase it would be on the shelf very very quickly. Very repetitive.[/QUOTE]

If you set the cpu AI to 'normal' and only play single player exhibition matches, then you will likely run into this problem (mostly in Basketball). Playing tournament does get a little more challenging as you progress, but if you're only playing single player matches in exhibition, you're doing it all wrong.

I'm not defending the game, but it's really meant to be enjoyed just in multi-player. And if you can help it, stay with volleyball, and dodge-ball as they will provide the most entertainment. Basketball has to be the weakest of the offered 'sports'.

[quote name='Altanis']You do know that there's varying difficulty levels right?[/QUOTE]

I just put it in and let them go, so no clue what they were playing on.

bread's done
Back