markup on xbox live points

stainremover

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
this question is for anyone who works in retail... just curious is all... but what's the markup on xbox live points (or psn / wii points if you are so inclined)? i suspect it is a lot (at least $5), but i'm not sure.

i think it is a lot because at many stores (walmarts, targets) the easily theftable cards are just left out on racks in the open. and by easily theftable i mean you don't even have to take anything out of the store. just take the card, scratch the silver, and take a photo and leave. at these very same stores, $10 blade cartridges for razors (like mach3 or similar) are kept under lock and key.

[quote name='stainremover']this question is for anyone who works in retail... just curious is all... but what's the markup on xbox live points (or psn / wii points if you are so inclined)? i suspect it is a lot (at least $5), but i'm not sure.

i think it is a lot because at many stores (walmarts, targets) the easily theftable cards are just left out on racks in the open. and by easily theftable i mean you don't even have to take anything out of the store. just take the card, scratch the silver, and take a photo and leave. at these very same stores, $10 blade cartridges for razors (like mach3 or similar) are kept under lock and key.[/QUOTE]

you have activate the card at the register, otherwise you just got nothing.

Is that still true? Because don't they come in like impenetrable bubble-shield casing now, at least in some places?

Or I'm making shit up.

I'm pretty sure they don't have to be activated. Atleast at the retail store I work at, they don't have to be.

[quote name='62t']you have activate the card at the register, otherwise you just got nothing.[/QUOTE]

:hot: I just realized that they don't have to be activated. They didn't activate my card at Target. I wish I was more daring, as I'd probably nab a few codes.

[quote name='Access_Denied']:hot: I just realized that they don't have to be activated. They didn't activate my card at Target. I wish I was more daring, as I'd probably nab a few codes.[/quote]

were they the kind in the packaging or just the card itself?
7-11 has like 30 of them out in the open and no alarm things. no idea how they dont lose all of those if they work.

[quote name='The Lorax']were they the kind in the packaging or just the card itself?
7-11 has like 30 of them out in the open and no alarm things. no idea how they dont lose all of those if they work.[/QUOTE]

Just the card.

But actually, it says 'Powered by Fastcard' on the back. But I don't remember her swiping it. Just ringing it up.

maybe it depends on the store? the last time i bought a 360 subscription, it came in a blister pack, but i know i've seen 12 months of live in just the card at walmart.

i was under the impression you didn't have to activate, because i know i've seen a couple of the top halves of 12 month subscriptions lying around at the local walmart.

actually it doesnt have to be activated, they buy them in bulk and then they just send them to the store, after that you scan the bar code, they just put it on there to scare little kids who cant think that far ahead from just taking them, just buy one and watch the person ringing you out, it will be just like anyother item you purchase, i know this from working retail for forever and a day :booty:

well at walmart when the cashier scans the card it says swipe card...they then swipe the card like it is a gift card or phone card...they have had them error out and i had to grab another card before

[quote name='Malik112099']well at walmart when the cashier scans the card it says swipe card...they then swipe the card like it is a gift card or phone card...they have had them error out and i had to grab another card before[/QUOTE]

point cards don't have strips to swipe.

[quote name='stainremover']this question is for anyone who works in retail... just curious is all... but what's the markup on xbox live points (or psn / wii points if you are so inclined)? i suspect it is a lot (at least $5), but i'm not sure.
[/quote]
I would think the mark up on XBL points (and subscriptions) is tiny. Maybe $1-2 for points and $5 for 13 month subscriptions.

Edit: I just remembered and was quickly able to Google this article from around the time the Wii came out that lists the mark up on Wii accessories. It's not going to be exactly the same as the 360, but I imagine the markups are pretty similar.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I would think the mark up on XBL points (and subscriptions) is tiny. Maybe $1-2 for points and $5 for 13 month subscriptions.

Edit: I just remembered and was quickly able to Google this article from around the time the Wii came out that lists the mark up on Wii accessories. It's not going to be exactly the same as the 360, but I imagine the markups are pretty similar.[/quote]

thanks for the link... kind of abysmal though on the points, only 25%.

as for activation... i guess it depends on the retailer...? i'll probably pickup a month or 3 during bf to use over winter break. i'll know for sure then!

[quote name='stainremover']thanks for the link... kind of abysmal though on the points, only 25%.

as for activation... i guess it depends on the retailer...? i'll probably pickup a month or 3 during bf to use over winter break. i'll know for sure then![/QUOTE]

Activation does not depend on the retailer. It is upon the company that puts the actual cards out, and its pretty much one company that makes them for multiple games/services. They cards will not work until they have been actually purchased.

There are two different types of Live cards now. There are the ones in the blister packs that don't need to be activated. They have a little tear strip on the back that reveals the code. The other cards are the fasttrack ones with the silver strip that need to be scratched on the back. Those must be activated at the register and they don't swipe them, there are two barcodes on the back cards. One is to ring up the item and the other is to activate the card. Next time you buy one, watch them scan the card twice.

The store i work for pays $18 for a 1600 point car which retails for $20

Markup on a year live subscription is pretty small too, ~$5 IIRC.

[quote name='JDN169']The store i work for pays $18 for a 1600 point car which retails for $20

Markup on a year live subscription is pretty small too, ~$5 IIRC.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the old $5 1600 point card deal at Target. Whee! :whee:

[quote name='SL4IN']I'm pretty sure they don't have to be activated. Atleast at the retail store I work at, they don't have to be.[/QUOTE]It varies. Some stores still have the old XBL Cards that don't have to be activated at the register, while some retailers have the ones that have to be activated at the register (like PSN Cards). MS is moving to getting more retailers into this, but some retailers cannot do it yet due to lacking he technology (such as GameStop).

[quote name='JDN169']The store i work for pays $18 for a 1600 point car which retails for $20

Markup on a year live subscription is pretty small too, ~$5 IIRC.[/quote]

you most likely don't want to give out the name of the store you work at, but how about the size? is it a big name retailer or a small time shop?

[quote name='Kaijufan']I would think the mark up on XBL points (and subscriptions) is tiny. Maybe $1-2 for points and $5 for 13 month subscriptions.[/quote]

Markup on a year live subscription is pretty small too, ~$5 IIRC.[/quote]

icalledit2cf7.jpg

[quote name='stainremover']you most likely don't want to give out the name of the store you work at, but how about the size? is it a big name retailer or a small time shop?[/quote]

Small shop. Actually, it's just the one store with an ebay division.

[quote name='Scorch']point cards don't have strips to swipe.[/quote]

Was at Walmart tonight and looked at the back of the $20/$50 PSN cards along with the 4000pt/1600pt and 3month/12month Xbox Live cards and every single one has a magnetic strip to swipe for activation at checkout.

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']The cards aren't swiped, they are scanned.[/quote]

Everytime I have EVER purchased these cards from Walmart they scan them. Then the register has a big ass "SWIPE CARD" message that pops up. The card gets swiped and then after it okay's the swipe I pay and leave.

bread's done
Back