Marten's CONTEST CLOSED! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

marten

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!!!!

Congratulations to the winners of the contest!

First prize (The PSP bundle w/ component cable): AngellicLulu

Second prize (Warhawk for the PS3 w/ bluetooth in the box): Kayden

Third prize (1600 Live points......): Georox

The PS3 survived the draw. It will stay here with me until Childs Play rolls around. Rest assured, it will leave at that time to someone on CAG.

Thanks for folding!!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3403688#post3403688

Yes, it is that time again.

The start: Right now.

The end: Seven days from now. Thursday (9/27) at 7pm PST.

The quest: Fold. That's it. Anyone is free to enter (and obviously PS3 owners have a bit of a jump on anyone else in terms of sheer power) by downloading the software either on their PS3, or on a computer from http://folding.stanford.edu and following the instructions on their site (our team is 56566, and use your CAG name when you sign up)

The rules: Simple. Every 500 points you put up nets you an entry into my fabulous contest. 500 points translates into a PS3 folding for 12 hours straight, more or less. To make it even, I'll make sure anyone that finishes with less than 500 points will be good for an entry as well. I'll even go as far as to say if you're past one of the markers (500/1000/1500, etc...), that little shave of points will bump you up an entry as well. Ex: 561 points = two entries.

The catch: You have to compete with me. I'll have three PS3's running 24/7 for the full 7 days. I'll be entered into this contest as well.

The tally: I'll be taking screenshots off of http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=56566 at 6pm PST today, and on 7pm PST Thursday, 9/27. Points will be calculated by myself.

The twist: At the end of the seven days, all the entries will go into a hat (yes, a hat), and I'll draw a couple of winners. The twist is this: I'll be drawing first prize first. If I happen to pull MY name out of the hat instead of another member on THIS PRIZE ONLY, the prizes immediately change. I take all the pieces of paper out of the hat with my name, and we redraw.

The prizes:

(Assuming my name does not come out of the hat...)

1st Prize: Sony Slim PSP (Daxter Package) with a Component Cable
2nd Prize: Warhawk for the PS3 (with blewtoof in the box)
3rd Prize (the boob prize): A 1600 point Live Card :lol:

(IF MY NAME COMES OUT OF THE HAT FIRST...)

1st Prize: A PS3. (60gb/EE chip....the good one.)
2nd Prize: Sony Slim PSP (Daxter Package) with a Component Cable
3rd Prize: Warhawk for the PS3 (with blewtoof in the box)
4th Prize (the boob prize): A 1600 point Live Card :lol:

It's wacky, but it's my contest. Just to give you an idea, the last time I held a contest (I gave away a 360 premium a while ago), only 87ish people entered. The odds are rather good that you'll come away with something, so why not give it a shot and help cure some cancer....we'd all appreciate it greatly. ;)

Damn, you kick ass marten. Entered (even though I don't think my shitty Pentium 4 3.0 ghz is going to stand a chance against your PS3s...).

[quote name='Liquid 2']Damn, you kick ass marten. Entered (even though I don't think my shitty Pentium 4 3.0 ghz is going to stand a chance against your PS3s...).[/quote]

That's the great part of the contest.

Whether you can stand up to them or not is moot, because if I pull my name first....well, someone is walking out of here with a PS3. There isn't a downside ;)

[quote name='AngellicLulu']so if your name comes out first... there are better prizes that seems backwards.[/quote]

That's the point. ;)

If it doesn't come out first, I'll just have a PS3 that I'll have to make another contest for down the road. Basically, people are rooting for me to pull my name first. And if not, you have to enter yet again at some point in the future.

Wacky, I say.

[quote name='marten']That's the point. ;)

If it doesn't come out first, I'll just have a PS3 that I'll have to make another contest for down the road. Basically, people are rooting for me to pull my name first. And if not, you have to enter yet again at some point in the future.

Wacky, I say.[/QUOTE]Oh, I think Lulu was thinking the same thing you were: if you pulled your name first, you got to keep your PS3. :lol:

Go marten, woooo! ;)

[quote name='TemporaryScars']Aw, thats very nice of you, but there's no way I can compete without a PS3.[/QUOTE]There's a PC version. =p

People...you don't need a PS3 to compete.

All a PS3 gives you is the capability of more entries into the drawing.

People do win the lottery by buying 1 ticket. It is possible.

[quote name='marten']

People do win the lottery by buying 1 ticket. It is possible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's my M.O. going in to this (other than helping out with the Folding project). I have a 2ghz Pentium 4...so I'm not going to expect anything other than the inherent helping out.

Entered... I think. I'm not sure. I'm not showing up on the team page, but maybe it takes time. It's also still at 0/5000, whatever that means exactly.

I edited the end time to make it one week from today.

Reasoning: It looks like that even on the slower computers (I'm testing this on a 2.4Ghz old Pentium 4), one unit takes roughly two days. (Edit: Updated time once I completed my first frame on this slow notebook.)

That creates a bit of an issue in terms of getting entries, sooooooo....I'll make sure people entering can at least complete one work unit, and I'll come up with some ingenious scheme for the rest later on.

Good luck!

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Nvm[/quote]

Multiple computers go under one name, but the point totals are cumulative.

You can also set the program to only use a certain percentage of your CPU (it defaults to 100 percent), so if heat is an issue....well :D

I've been not folding for the summer due to heat issues, but I suppose this is reason enough turn it back on (that and slightly cooler weather).

Not that I'd feel right taking your stuff...

[quote name='CokeCola']I've been not folding for the summer due to heat issues, but I suppose this is reason enough turn it back on (that and slightly cooler weather).

Not that I'd feel right taking your stuff...[/quote]

Noone has complained so far ;)

Small update to the rules:

I figure with the amount of time it is taking to finish a WU, I might as well help you all out.

If you crack a barrier (500/1000/1500, etc.), that little smidge will net you an entry.

Examples:

491 points = 1 entry
500 points = 1 entry
512 points = 2 entries

You get the idea.

Wow, I think you may have just saved me from either having to get a new six-axis or a TV after I throw my controller at it while playing Heavenly Sword.

The controls were seriously ticking me off. I was about to try and toss my controller in the hopes it would improve my aim.

Thanks !

I need to confirm whether or not I will be eligible if its going to take 10 days to finish one WU. I'll still let it run, I just would like to know ahead of time that its not going towards anything.

Guess I'll have to get a few more machines running this, now that you've given me extra incentive. ;)

Shame this wasn't awhile ago, or I would've set up a bunch of the surplus machines from work to run over the weekend and really haul ass. :)

[quote name='marten']I edited the end time to make it one week from today.

Reasoning: It looks like that even on the slower computers (I'm testing this on a 2.4Ghz old Pentium 4), one unit takes roughly two days. (Edit: Updated time once I completed my first frame on this slow notebook.)

That creates a bit of an issue in terms of getting entries, sooooooo....I'll make sure people entering can at least complete one work unit, and I'll come up with some ingenious scheme for the rest later on.

Good luck![/quote]
Funny. My piece of crap computer says it will take about 10 hours for one work unit to end. by crap i mean 1.2GHz Celeron, lol. This is at 100%, although, I still have some other things running (firefox, trillian, etc.)

I'm hoping that charity entry for the people who don't manage to make the 500 points will win something for me. Lol. If not, oh well. At least my crappy computer is being put to good use, even though it doesn't really have an effect on the project as a whole.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I need to confirm whether or not I will be eligible if its going to take 10 days to finish one WU. I'll still let it run, I just would like to know ahead of time that its not going towards anything.[/quote]

10 days? yowch.

That's fine...push comes to shove on Thursday, we'll take care of it then.

so how exactly do we enter? do we just need to take a screenshot of it or is their a way to check your minutes?

[quote name='evilmax17']Cool!

Is everybody on the team automatically entered, or do we have to post here first?

Either way, count me in.[/quote]

Anyone already on the team is immediately entered, just because hey, you're producing.

As far as checking progress, the program has an estimated time to finish the WU in the lower'ish left corner of the program.

Reference: For an old laptop 2.4 Pentium 4, it's estimating 1 day, 13 hours for a 1250 piece WU.

bread's done
Back