Marvel Trading Card Game Discussion

Darkside Hazuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Anyone picked this up yet?

I hit a few local joints today (Fry's, BB, GC) but was unsuccessful.

Opinions from those who've bought it would be fantastic.

I'm selling my PSP but I have the PC demo and I'll get the retail PC version when it's released.

I play the real VS System CCG semi-professionally so if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

I used to play the game myself but got out of it.

I did pick up a copy at EBGames though. I was pretty surprised when he told me they had only gotten in 1 copy. You'd think with a major license like Marvel that Konami would have a higher print run and advertising campaign for it.

Well it is a CCG not named Yu Gi Oh. The Marvel liscence is big, but this game probably won't do huge numbers and nobody wants to have stock of a game that won't sell. Two questions though. Is there online play and is that hypothetical online play going to be cross platform?

There is online play and it's cross platform with PSP and PC. DS only has online access with other DS's. Cards from the single player mode do not transfer to online (they can be used in LAN play.) Online play you have to buy the cards similar to Magic Online, although you start out with 2 XMen starters with you create your free online account. Pricing structure is on the website.

Well, it looks like I'll have to get this. The IGN review wasn't stellar, but reading between the lines it seems like a very solid and fun game, and that's what I would care about most.

I'll plan on getting it for DS.

I still haven't seen this at any of the big retailers (excluding the Evil Empire and the other Evil Empire, that's EB/GS and Wal-Mart respectively). No luck at CC, BB, TRU, or Target. it seems Konami isn't too interested in selling this (to be fair, it's available on their site and Amazon).

Ok so after playing for a about 4 hours tonight and finally "getting" the card system I think I'm ready to post some impressions.

First of all, for first time players the Tutorials are pretty good. I played through the initial three and felt like I got a good feeling for how to play. But of course it wasn't until I actually started playing on my own did I forget how some of the things worked. I ended up going back to the Tutorial only once to review. For the most part I found the Tutorial helpful and did a good job of explaining the mechanics and everything of the game.

The gameplay system, I've only played about 7 matches so far, seems to be pretty good. I like it. The only thing that I really dislike about the game is that sometimes things seem to happen a little too fast and I'm not sure which card the computer is using to power up which one, and which abilities are being used, etc. The game can get to the point where it seems very cluttered on the screen, which brings me to my biggest complaint of the game....

The presentation is AWFUL. My biggest gripe, you can never zoom in or get a close up of the art that's on the cards! That really ticks me off. One of the best things about the Marvel license I thought would be was being able to see these cards in high resolution and up close. You basically get just a "thumbnail" of each card and that's it. Really disappointing to me. The game needed a "Card Viewer" mode of some sort to be able to admire the cards up close. Also like I mentioned earlier, the game screen can get kind of cluttered. The text is a little small, but not really hard to read. It will just strain your eyes definitely. After playing for a couple of hours I needed a break from staring at the tiny text on the screen. In short bursts, this is not so bad, but in longer play sessions I found that it was some obvious discomfort from staring at the screen. I only noticed this because I don't feel this way playing any other PSP game.

The story mode in single player is a nice touch. Kind of like MGS Digital Graphic Novel you watch comic book style cut scenes in between each card match. Then you play a game. They really don't add anything to the game, but it's a nice filler and I suppose it gives you a decent recent to plow through the story mode so that you can read more of the story. But really it's nothing special.

To sum it up, the gameplay is fun, addicting, and challenging. But the presentation of the game as a whole seems like there was no effort put into it. If it wasn't for the Marvel license I would probably have no interest in the game itself. It's an average game with great gameplay but weak presentation.

I like the game and will probably continue playing it for weeks on end, but I can recognize that it's very underwhelming and did not live up to the potential that came with a great Marvel license.

I give it a 5 out of 10.

I have a question about this game:

Can you do breakthrough damage if you're defending, but your ATK is equal or higher than the attacker's DEF?

I picked up this game last week I've never played any kind of card game before so it was all new to me. I'd agree that the tutorials are pretty good. They slowly fill you in on all the details.

After playing for a week, I really like it. I wanted a game I could pick and play for 30 min, and that's exactly what you get. I do wish you could see the art up close but its no big deal. So far there is nothing that is too annoying to warn people about, its a solid "B" in my book.

But I have one question: I don't totally understand the damage part of it. When my card attacks or defends they usually get to damage the other card the difference of the stats (my attack is 5 and their defense is 3 so I get 2 points). But when the computer attacks they get the difference and something else (my defense is 3 and their attack is 5 but they get like 7 points instead of 2). Even if the stats match (like my defense 5 and his attack 5) the computer always gets points. Why does that happen?

[quote name='Trusty Mutsi']I have a question about this game:

Can you do breakthrough damage if you're defending, but your ATK is equal or higher than the attacker's DEF?[/QUOTE]

no, breakthrough is only for the attackers.

I've been enjoying the PSP version so much, I actually managed to convert myself and others over to the real thing! Doesn't hurt that packs and starters for the older sets are extremely cheap, especially compared to the rape-age that is YGO (love the game, but damn is it expensive).

I just wish there was a way to play friends over the web without buying packs.

Correct, breakthrough is only caused by an attacker on a defender. The only damage (barring other effects) that can happen to an attacker is if the attacker stuns.

As always I'm here as the resident pro of the game on this site (played in 3 VS Pro Circuits and several 10K's and PCQ's.) If you think this is hard, you should see some of the stuff the DC side of the game can through at you. Some people starting out can easily get a headache against an experienced (DC Origins set) Teen Titans player ...

I have the actual cards for the game, and I can say it's one of the less good TCGs... it's decent though, being a bit more random than strategic. The thing that killed it for me to get this on PSP was that for online you had to use real money to buy the cards... lame.

The TCGs that need to go on PSP are decipher ones like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars... now those are good.

bread's done
Back