Marvel vs. Capcom 3 discussion thread

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Are games ever going to get back to the point where companies make a FULL game and then do DLC later? Jesus.[/QUOTE]

no.

[quote name='Rodimus']Is it wrong that I love using Arthur so much? I'm able to pull off a lot of bullshit with him. Sometimes I hate myself for being so cheap.[/QUOTE]

He's a keep away character so no. You can get wrecked if they get in close. I've been loving MODOK because its so much fun to play keep away.

[quote name='MtlTom']
You can also mod the SE with Sanwa parts. It's roughly about a $50 upgrade for a new stick and 8 buttons. Very very easy to do as well. You can get parts from Madcatz or Lizard Lick.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware about the modding, but I really want a TE in general. I think I would be more comfortable wit hte bigger form factor, plus it already has Sanwa parts.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Are games ever going to get back to the point where companies make a FULL game and then do DLC later? Jesus.[/QUOTE]

Play a Nintendo game. No DLC, EVER.

they don't have ken and juggernaut in the game so I am not buying it

Sorry for asking this without reading the whole thread, but I keep hearing about overpowered characters. How do these compare to say like Sagat in SFIV as like the S rank character? Are they just slightly better than the rest or to the point where they are "cheap" (I know there should be no such thing in fighters, but you know what I mean)? Is it insane to think Capcom would release a balancing patch? I don't remember anything like that being released for SFIV, other than the obvious Super SFIV version. If anyone can answer any of these questions I would appreciate it. Part of me is dying to open my Special Edition version lying on my desk, but all this talk about the balance of the game has me worried.

I think its becoming widely accepted that Sentinel, especially with X-Factor, is pretty overpowered. If you hop onto youtube and watch tournament players play, almost all of them rock Sentinel as their third teammate. When they turn on the X-Factor, it's pretty ridiculous how much damage it does and also how little damage it takes.

[quote name='KingBroly']Play a Nintendo game. No DLC, EVER.[/QUOTE]
Or play Valve games on PC and you get all of the DLC they release for free.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I don't even know what to make of this. What is grab stun super? Are you talking about Hyper Grav and then doing his super? Cause if so, you know you can block Hyper Grav (the move where the balls shoot out and incapacitate you) right, bud?[/QUOTE]

TimeSplitt is not fighting game savvy. When SF4 came out, he kept complaining about all this silly stuff that proved he had no idea what he was doing. Take his complaints with a shaker of salt.

i fucking suck at this game so hard. i thought i was making an improvement, but i seem to be back where i started. i think i'm like 6-30 in ranked games. the good news is i haven't broken anything in my apartment yet, but i've definitely broke some world records for consecutive uses of a certain string of words that probably can't be written here.

[quote name='ubernes']i fucking suck at this game so hard. i thought i was making an improvement, but i seem to be back where i started. i think i'm like 6-30 in ranked games. the good news is i haven't broken anything in my apartment yet, but i've definitely broke some world records for consecutive uses of a certain string of words that probably can't be written here.[/QUOTE]

Are you only playing people your rank? I've also noticed that a lot of noobs (pardon the term), don't use x-factor. It's definitely a game changer if you only have 1 character left.

[quote name='ubernes']i fucking suck at this game so hard. i thought i was making an improvement, but i seem to be back where i started. i think i'm like 6-30 in ranked games. the good news is i haven't broken anything in my apartment yet, but i've definitely broke some world records for consecutive uses of a certain string of words that probably can't be written here.[/QUOTE]

Mission Mode is your friend, learn the basics, Air combos, Team air combos, USE ADVANCING GUARD!!! this will get your ass out of tough situations when they are hitting you constantly while you guard

USE YOUR ASSISTS! I cannot stress that enough, some people just aren't used to the assist system, time your assists wisely so they are safe on arrival and use them to advance your current character.

Learn your OTG combos, hit em while they're down and keep punishing them, Dante, Wesker and X-23 have good OTG setups that are easy to combo into.

[quote name='MtlTom']You lagged in BlazBlue and I never get lag in that game.....

Your post inspired me to change my avatar ;).

GGs today to you and Jimbo.[/QUOTE]

GGs to you and Jimbo as well.

I think I've adjusted appropriately. I will never underestimate Level 3 XFactor Sentinel again. I will throw everything at him just to waste time if I have to.

I was fighting a friend today who's relatively new to the game, but I had already taught him the ways of Lvl3 X-Factor Sentinel. I almost OCV'd him, he turns on X-Factor with Sentinel and kills TWO team members with block damage ONLY. That's fucking stupid. Luckily, I could use X-Factor to negate chip on my last character, and spam keepaway Hypers.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Sorry for asking this without reading the whole thread, but I keep hearing about overpowered characters. How do these compare to say like Sagat in SFIV as like the S rank character? Are they just slightly better than the rest or to the point where they are "cheap" (I know there should be no such thing in fighters, but you know what I mean)? Is it insane to think Capcom would release a balancing patch? I don't remember anything like that being released for SFIV, other than the obvious Super SFIV version. If anyone can answer any of these questions I would appreciate it. Part of me is dying to open my Special Edition version lying on my desk, but all this talk about the balance of the game has me worried.[/QUOTE]

This game is "cheap." Every single character in the game is cheap. Almost every one of them has gimmicks, annoying attacks, ambiguous mixups, 50-100% combos with minimal meter usage... but since every character is cheap, it's not really all that bad once you understand that. Matchup knowledge is just going to be incredibly important, because otherwise you're going to get hit with something you've never seen before and that you won't know how to get out of without experimentation.

That said, I don't have a problem with any of it. ;)

[quote name='joe2187']Mission Mode is your friend, learn the basics, Air combos, Team air combos, USE ADVANCING GUARD!!! this will get your ass out of tough situations when they are hitting you constantly while you guard

USE YOUR ASSISTS! I cannot stress that enough, some people just aren't used to the assist system, time your assists wisely so they are safe on arrival and use them to advance your current character.

Learn your OTG combos, hit em while they're down and keep punishing them, Dante, Wesker and X-23 have good OTG setups that are easy to combo into.[/QUOTE]

People block in this game? :p

[quote name='timesplitt']i would like the skilled players here to test this out and play with it and against it

have magneto last, save up your level 5 until you have to use him

when he is out; use the hyper beam to attack them and the ball to grab them and then the super when you find an opening. i would like to know a strategy to get past this. I have already found these as help but i still can't win because of misses/badluck

1.using the orange punch attack to bring him out early (wastes super and i miss sometimes) (X-23 is small)
2. getting close and spamming but this hurts my assistants and my attacks aren't fast enough to stop him, i go to punch and my punch doesn't DEACTIVATE his super still hitting me. AND HE CAN GRAB Me[/QUOTE]

Dude, you had this problem in SSFIV. You're not blocking. In this game, it's a million times harder to block rushdown than in SSFIV, but you need to try. Don't just mash buttons. If you're getting cornered, block, then superjump out to gather your thoughts. Use Advancing Guard to get some breathing room. As was mentioned before, Magneto's "ball grab" is blockable. It sounds like you need to start spamming stuff yourself, or learn how to offensively pressure someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a penalty for rage quitters? I hope there is otherwise I can predict a lot more coming. Just had my first one :(

[quote name='DV8']Is there a penalty for rage quitters? I hope there is otherwise I can predict a lot more coming. Just had my first one :([/QUOTE]

Yes. With enough rage quits, people get banished to a category of rage quitters, where they can only face other rage quitters.

This sounds like a joke, but it is not.

RE: Sentinel

From the Ustream MvC3 tourney last, there was definitely a lot of lvl 3 X factor Sent comebacks going on. Having him 3rd is something players will certainly have to plan for/respect while playing. You can try some snapbacks to force him out early, but that is easier said than done. Also, you can save your X Factor to help counter there's - eliminates chip damage and heals.

A lot of the guys in the tourney were playing teams without Sentinel and were competitive. JWong won the tournament playing Wolv/Akuma/Storm - and you rarely saw Storm. Some wicked Dante, Haggar, Tron and Hulk action too (on different teams). Admittedly there were quite a few Maneto/?/Sent teams :bomb:

As I said before you need a plan for Sent 3rd slot atm. But I think he's an issue atm because he is kind of fotm. After seeing the craziness that was Hagger's pipe in the tourney - adjustments will have to be made for him as well. But this kind of meta game keeps things interesting right? ;)

-

[quote name='gunstar808']RE: Sentinel

From the Ustream MvC3 tourney last, there was definitely a lot of lvl 3 X factor Sent comebacks going on. Having him 3rd is something players will certainly have to plan for/respect while playing. You can try some snapbacks to force him out early, but that is easier said than done. Also, you can save your X Factor to help counter there's - eliminates chip damage and heals.

A lot of the guys in the tourney were playing teams without Sentinel and were competitive. JWong won the tournament playing Wolv/Akuma/Storm - and you rarely saw Storm. Some wicked Dante, Haggar, Tron and Hulk action too (on different teams). Admittedly there were quite a few Maneto/?/Sent teams :bomb:

As I said before you need a plan for Sent 3rd slot atm. But I think he's an issue atm because he is kind of fotm. After seeing the craziness that was Hagger's pipe in the tourney - adjustments will have to be made for him as well. But this kind of meta game keeps things interesting right? ;)

-[/QUOTE]

Yeah, snapbacks, well timed X-Factor, and Hyper Spam (just to gain time and halt the regen) are your best bets at the endgame. The worst thing you can do is not have a plan for level 3-XFactor Sentinel, because the odds are stacked heavily against you.

I'm sure there were plenty of people who used viable teams sans Sentinel, but who also had counters specifically for that looming threat. It's not really a surprise that Justin Wong won, with or without Sentinel.

Sent an invite to the CAG Scrub Club.

It seems to my untrained eye that Arthur and Sentinel are completely broken after Pure Apathy wiped the floor with me with them in seperate matches when we were playing random teams. Also I don't understand why I have problems throwing Dragon Punch manuevers in either Marvel game, but I can do them on command almost in SSFIV.

[quote name='GuardianE']Yes. With enough rage quits, people get banished to a category of rage quitters, where they can only face other rage quitters.

This sounds like a joke, but it is not.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering how well that will actually work out over time.

Anyway, my friend was using Sentinel/Deadpool/Morrigan and just wiping the floor with me. I don't even want to see what would happen if he used Sent 3rd and saved his X-Factor. Anybody have advice on the best anti-Sent characters as of right now? I was doing OK with Dante's teleport to get around the spam but once he was down, I was done. I know my game needs a lot of work such as learning how to use assists properly, but I figured I would have put up a little better fight seeing as how he only got the game today and I've had it since Tuesday. :bomb:

[quote name='joe2187']Learn your OTG combos, hit em while they're down and keep punishing them, Dante, Wesker and X-23 have good OTG setups that are easy to combo into.[/QUOTE]

I know X-23 can combo OTG off her QCF+H throw easily enough but it seems like comboing after an air combo ground slam is pretty difficult to me. The charged QCF+M will only hit a very small percentage of the time. Am I missing something or is the throw setup the only "easy" one you were referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']Sent an invite to the CAG Scrub Club.

It seems to my untrained eye that Arthur and Sentinel are completely broken after Pure Apathy wiped the floor with me with them in seperate matches when we were playing random teams. Also I don't understand why I have problems throwing Dragon Punch manuevers in either Marvel game, but I can do them on command almost in SSFIV.[/QUOTE]

SSFIV has input shortcuts for easier special moves. In SSFIV, you could perform a Dragon Punch by tapping the Down-Forward direction twice and pressing a punch button. MvC3 has lenient timing, but no shortcuts as far as I know.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Does anyone want to get together tonight or tomorrow night and knock out the "Match-up" achievements on XBL?[/QUOTE]

I really want to. I was supposed to do these with my brother but he hasn't even bought the game yet. If you see me later on tonight send me an invite. My schedules a little tight but I should be on around 10pm - 12pm.

Is it possible to knock out 3 of these at the same time?

[quote name='Rodimus']I really want to. I was supposed to do these with my brother but he hasn't even bought the game yet. If you see me later on tonight send me an invite. My schedules a little tight but I should be on around 10pm - 12pm.

Is it possible to knock out 3 of these at the same time?[/QUOTE]

You mean 10pm to 12am I hope? That is great time for me.

I'm not sure. I'll hit True Achievements and check before I get on tonight. If not sure we can still knock them out pretty quick. (I stink so you shouldn't have to work hard to beat me, lol)

[quote name='Rodimus']Is it possible to knock out 3 of these at the same time?[/QUOTE]

Sure is!

For local play, can two Gamertags be signed in at once? My gut tells me no.

[quote name='GuardianE']For local play, can two Gamertags be signed in at once? My gut tells me no.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing they can, I don't see why not.

Is playing with a fighting stick enough of an advantage/better experience to warrant buying one? MvC3 is really my only fighting game I'm playing, but playing with a controller kind of sucks. I just don't want to spend 70 bucks on a stick if it's not worth it.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I just don't want to spend 70 bucks on a stick if it's not worth it.[/QUOTE]

I think Amazon has one for $50, if that is better, lol.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Clicks every time you move the stick? That would drive me craaaaazy.[/QUOTE]

Its an arcade stick. They all kind of click. Micro switches and all.

Anyone try the PDP marvel fightpad? I'm getting one after work today at a local gamestop and i'm hoping its good. I just don't have the money for a tournament ed. Stick.

I was thinking of a loud click, is it a tolerable noise? The review on Amazon described it to sticking a card into bike spokes. That's pretty dang loud.

Anyways, do you guys find it more enjoyable than playing with a controller? Easier to input moves and all that?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I was thinking of a loud click, is it a tolerable noise? The review on Amazon described it to sticking a card into bike spokes. That's pretty dang loud.

Anyways, do you guys find it more enjoyable than playing with a controller? Easier to input moves and all that?[/QUOTE]

I bought a Madcatz TE SE Stick when SSFIV came out. It definitely made some moves easier to pull off, while others a bit more difficult, for me at least.

Charge moves become completely second nature on the stick and it also made 360s much, much easier. I think the only motion that still gives me issue is the Dragon Punch motion. Growing up, I also made the input F>D>F whereas it's actually F>D>DF. Thus on the stick I have the habit of doing F>D>DF>F and I end up doing a Hadoken motion. I've had to teach myself to make sure I hit the DF gate on the stick.

The noise is a non-issue, you won't even hear it once you start playing and the game's sounds take over. Although be warned, if you've never used a stick, it'll take a solid month or so of consistent play for you to get adjusted to it. Keep that time dedication in mind and consider if you're willing to put in that time before plunking down the cash.

Examine this gif closely and your head will assplode...

xfgammacrush6q6a.gif

Hating this game more and more now. I'm winning but I gotta say I feel the opponents pain when he has 3 characters and I have Sentinel. I don't even have to hit the guy, it's just X-factor, Chip, chip, him trying to escape, super, dead, chip, chip hit, super omfg.. The game wouldn't be so bad if x-factor didn't exist.

[quote name='DV8']Hating this game more and more now. I'm winning but I gotta say I feel the opponents pain when he has 3 characters and I have Sentinel. I don't even have to hit the guy, it's just X-factor, Chip, chip, him trying to escape, super, dead, chip, chip hit, super omfg.. The game wouldn't be so bad if x-factor didn't exist.[/QUOTE]

Don't use Sentinel then, ya dingus. ;)

[quote name='joe2187']Examine this gif closely and your head will assplode...

xfgammacrush6q6a.gif
[/QUOTE]

Am I not seeing something. It's mighty impressive, no doubt. But, I feel like I'm supposed to be seeing something particularly "OMG" worthy beyond the normal insanity of this game.

[quote name='Killbomb']
I know X-23 can combo OTG off her QCF+H throw easily enough but it seems like comboing after an air combo ground slam is pretty difficult to me. The charged QCF+M will only hit a very small percentage of the time. Am I missing something or is the throw setup the only "easy" one you were referring to?[/QUOTE]

Fun starts at 35:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOVCpbupr_4#t=22m17s

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Am I not seeing something. It's mighty impressive, no doubt. But, I feel like I'm supposed to be seeing something particularly "OMG" worthy beyond the normal insanity of this game.[/QUOTE]

3 character full team super at full health Vs. Hulk. Hulk X-factor cancel's into a super kills all three in one go.

[quote name='Zmonkay']3 character full team super at full health Vs. Hulk. Hulk X-factor cancel's into a super kills all three in one go.[/QUOTE]

Oh. That shows how much of a novice I am at this. That really is amazing. Holy crap!

[quote name='GuardianE']Yes. With enough rage quits, people get banished to a category of rage quitters, where they can only face other rage quitters.

This sounds like a joke, but it is not.[/QUOTE]

That is amazing. Every game with an online vs mode should institute this.

bread's done
Back