Mass Effect 2 $48 on Amazon (PMing Walmart) *DEAD*

Ya, I agree. For anyone that hasn't started the first one yet, wait. This will be at least $35 by Black Friday-- 9 months from now, I know. But if you haven't started the first one yet, give yourself some time to play it before you buy the sequel.

Mass Effect 2 is awesome but if you have not finished the first game I would do that first because the ramifications of your actions carry over. Plus it only takes 20 hours or so to beat the main quest line in ME1 so it is not even that long for an RPG of epic proportions.

Used my gift cards. The Star Trek movie warmed me up to this franchise. Hopefully it lives up to the hype, never played the first and hearing the dodgy framerate, elevator, inferior shooter controls, and MAKO make it an easy excuse to skip the 1st.

If nothing else I can sell the code for at least $5 by itself.

Those are NOT reasons to skip the first. It's a great game, and those problems have been way exaggerated. Do yourself a favor and play the first before the second.

[quote name='KueMan10']Those are NOT reasons to skip the first. It's a great game, and those problems have been way exaggerated. Do yourself a favor and play the first before the second.[/QUOTE]
I played MGS4:GotP without playing any MGS before so I think I'll be good :cool:; and as for the persistent choices, I'd rather everyone be alive and don't plan to waste time "romancing" anyone, in any game, ever.

[quote name='KueMan10']Those are NOT reasons to skip the first. It's a great game, and those problems have been way exaggerated. Do yourself a favor and play the first before the second.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the first is very worthwhile. Don't miss it. Overall of course the second is better due to enhanced gameplay, but the first features a better story - particularly plot climax.

[quote name='triforcer']shit, i was hoping i could still hold off buying it cause i still haven't beat ME1. very tempting.[/QUOTE]

same.

It doesn't matter *that* much if you haven't played ME1. Although, the first is a very good game and I highly recommend it be played before 2 to get the full experience. Everybody should pick this game up at this price though. And that goes doubly for the people that have a gift/promo credit from a preorder. Yea, the game might be cheaper near the end of the year. You might also have tons of backlog by then and still have an excuse not to get it. If you have the first and haven't beat it, buy this and play them back to back. It's very much worth it.

I know I'm going to buy ME2, but I'm just waiting for the right price and this might be it...I don't know if I can wait any longer/plus I don't think I want to take the risk of the price going back to 59.

[quote name='Static X'] If you have the first and haven't beat it, buy this and play them back to back. It's very much worth it.[/QUOTE]
Personally, I'm really torn about this. I bought ME1 on launch day, expecting to love it even though I'm not an RPG fan as a rule. I had read all kinds of previews, watched trailers, hell, I even read the prequel novel to prepare for it. I really, really wanted to love it, I just.... didn't. I don't mean to hate on it, but between the inventory system, and feeling lost when it came to leveling up as well as what I was supposed to be doing next, it started feeling like a chore, and I never finished it.

It sounds like ME2 would be much more accessible for me, and the hype has gotten to me again. I put it on my request queue on Goozex, but I'm at least several months away from getting it that way. This price is very tempting, but I still can't decide if I can make myself go back and get through the first one. :whistle2:k

Hmmm......... I haven't played ME1 yet. I got it at Kmart for $10 but then have heard things to make me hold off on it. I do have a $10 gift card for Walmart.com that I'll probably never use. But also very tempted on the Amazon BC2 deal.

I'll probably splurge and buy it on Walmart for $38 with my $10 gift card. Thanks for the heads up!

ME2 is a far better game than Mass Effect (worst inventory management and driving controls ever!). But it is totally worth $20 and ~12 hours of your time to run through the first one. The story in 2 just feels much more personal when your own past decisions are reflected in the game world.

The MAKO controls are SO bad. I had to replay the ending of ME1 to correct my save file just a few weeks ago. Holy crap, I could not believe how awful the controls were. With that said, it was fun blowing stuff away with the shotgun. As many others have, I definitely recommend playing the first.

It showed up as $48 earlier, now shows $54.99. But if you do a search for Mass Effect 2 it shows up as $48 in the search results.

[quote name='Danimal']Personally, I'm really torn about this. I bought ME1 on launch day, expecting to love it even though I'm not an RPG fan as a rule. I had read all kinds of previews, watched trailers, hell, I even read the prequel novel to prepare for it. I really, really wanted to love it, I just.... didn't. I don't mean to hate on it, but between the inventory system, and feeling lost when it came to leveling up as well as what I was supposed to be doing next, it started feeling like a chore, and I never finished it.[/QUOTE]

It's unfortunate, because you can be level 17 or 18 before you even leave the station, so there's not a lot of chances for combat and learning exactly how all the players work. As far as the first game goes, I'd say it takes a full 10 hours before you start to understand what your playstyle is like in combat, what characters you want to have with you, and what skills will be useful when you get there.

But once you actually leave the station, it all starts to pick up. And the only thing that well and truly pissed me off about the first is when you hit the item cap. It tells you you have to get rid of something by converting it to omni-gel, but for some dumbass reason they decided that you can't access your inventory and get rid of the old stuff, you have to get rid of all the new stuff you just picked up. As long as you make sure to sell old crap before you hit the 150 item cap, you won't be seeing red like I was.

[quote name='aciske']It showed up as $48 earlier, now shows $54.99. But if you do a search for Mass Effect 2 it shows up as $48 in the search results.[/QUOTE]

Seems like it's dead now. Did the search and it's still $54.99 ... though the PC version is $46.99, so maybe that's what you were looking at.

Can someone explain to me what you miss out on if you pick up a used copy of the game? I know that there is somekind of code you need to access something extra in the game that only comes with new copies. But what does that code do? And is the game unplayable without it?

Basically, the new copy comes with a code to get access to an in-game "network" that gives you a slew of free DLC, the most significant of which is an extra squadmate. This "network" won't give you all upcoming DLC, but presumably a decent trickle of smaller stuff over at least the next few months. You can buy this component separately for $15 (if I remember correctly).

To be frank, as of right now its not a big deal one way or another. The extra squadmate doesn't have dialogue trees (he just sort of jabbers at you when you're standing next to him on your ship) and the other things are small side missions or fairly trivial items.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']ME2 is a far better game than Mass Effect (worst inventory management and driving controls ever!). But it is totally worth $20 and ~12 hours of your time to run through the first one. The story in 2 just feels much more personal when your own past decisions are reflected in the game world.[/QUOTE]

I bought ME1 on Steam for $5 but haven't played it but already jumped into ME2 on 360. I did play ME1 for ~8hours on 360 but quit due to other things hehe. Anyway, I'm curious if the PC has better inventory and controls? I don't expect you to know, but your post got me thinking since I haven't played it. I like the gunplay in ME2 a lot, is ME1's (PC) as fun? I don't remember it much it's been over 2 years. Cover system, actual shooting mechanics not based on dice rolls?

Anyway, I was able to PM the walmart price to my Best Buy purchase.

Yeah, the PC version is supposed to be better but I haven't played it myself.

I actually thought the combat in ME1 worked just fine. The biggest difference to me was that in ME1 you automatically snapped to cover, which could be flaky as to exactly where you needed to stand. Pressing a button to snap to cover is a much more sensible method. Also there was infinite ammo in ME1 but the guns had a cooldown if you fired too much, so you spent a lot of time hiding in cover waiting for your ammo to respawn.

bread's done
Back