Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Enter the room, but stay on the stairs. And then snipe away. Usually, their gun-arms are sticking out and you can hit those. Best to snipe with something that doesn't have vertical muzzle climb (i.e. single shot weapons). It may take a while to kill them, but keep at it. Small chunks of the Scion fly off, so you know you're hitting it.

Also, ammo wasn't an issue when playing through Insanity as a Soldier. The default ammo in the Revenant is 80/480. With the ammo pack (save and reload if it isn't working), it jumps to 80/527. If you unload all 560/607 shots and aren't able to find an ammo clip before running out, you're doing something horribly wrong. Of course, if you DO run out of ammo, there's always the Heavy Weapon, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, and Pistol.

You know what, Chubbs? I think I'll join you in the ME2 Insanity run. Will probably get to it on Friday or late Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dualedge2']Enter the room, but stay on the stairs. And then snipe away. Usually, their gun-arms are sticking out and you can hit those. Best to snipe with something that doesn't have vertical muzzle climb (i.e. single shot weapons). It may take a while to kill them, but keep at it. Small chunks of the Scion fly off, so you know you're hitting it.

Also, ammo wasn't an issue when playing through Insanity as a Soldier. The default ammo in the Revenant is 80/480. With the ammo pack (save and reload if it isn't working), it jumps to 80/527. If you unload all 560/607 shots and aren't able to find an ammo clip before running out, you're doing something horribly wrong. Of course, if you DO run out of ammo, there's always the Heavy Weapon, Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, and Pistol.[/QUOTE]

I dont even think I ever used the ammo pack, I just rotated weapons if the Revenant got really low on ammo. Most parts, it was fine using the Locust, Heavy Pistol, or Viper if I needed to for a short bit until I found more ammo.

a glorious combo!

Man, seeing this thread is making me want to bump up my next ME2 run. I was gonna wait until after I finished my KOTOR playthrough (9th time through, first in over 2 years) and then Portal 2, Skyrim DLC, and Borderlands 2....but now I'm just getting excited to play it. Brings a smile to my face knowing that I could kick some Collector ass again :cool:

Here's another dumb question.....where do you get the viper? ? I started with the mantis and can't remember where to get the viper. Was it on thane's recruitment mission?

[quote name='Spybreak8']Lol you guys are making me want to attempt 1000-ing Mass Effect 1, damn ally achievements. :cold:[/QUOTE]

Do it dude. I knocked 'em all out this year. After a certain point, it gets to be auto-pilot. I was generally working on shit while just blasting through the game over and over.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Do it dude. I knocked 'em all out this year. After a certain point, it gets to be auto-pilot. I was generally working on shit while just blasting through the game over and over.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, same here. I ended up doing 6 playthroughs total, but I completed all of the ally achievements before doing any higher-difficulty playthroughs. You could combine those if you wanted. ME1 can easily be beaten in 5-6 hours if you just blast through it.

Also, it's possible to get all of the ally achievements just by completing the main quest and all of the sidequests on the Citadel and the main story planets. I barely touched any of those random planet sidequests or the collect-a-thon stuff.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Do it dude. I knocked 'em all out this year. After a certain point, it gets to be auto-pilot. I was generally working on shit while just blasting through the game over and over.[/QUOTE]ME1 and all the achievements takes a lot more time than ME2 does. :shock:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, same here. I ended up doing 6 playthroughs total, but I completed all of the ally achievements before doing any higher-difficulty playthroughs. You could combine those if you wanted. ME1 can easily be beaten in 5-6 hours if you just blast through it.

Also, it's possible to get all of the ally achievements just by completing the main quest and all of the sidequests on the Citadel and the main story planets. I barely touched any of those random planet sidequests or the collect-a-thon stuff.[/QUOTE]How could you do ME1 in 5-6 hours?

[quote name='shrike4242']How could you do ME1 in 5-6 hours?[/QUOTE]
Skipping dialogue when possible, rushing through the mandatory content only, staying out of the menus. That's what I did for my Hardcore and Insanity runs.

I have an ME1 Engineer run going to get the engineering and ally achievements. Next I was going to do an adept on hardcore for a couple biotic cheevos and the last two ally ones. After that I was gonna do an insanity speed run as a soldier, hoping Ryuu would impart some of his wisdom on that when the time came. ;)

But first....100% for ME2!

Yup have Tali and Liara ally achievements, the hardest ones to get, left along with Engineer and Adept powers to nab. So obviously it looks like I'll have to do 2 playthroughs lol. Yeah I've got a guide too.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']hoping Ryuu would impart some of his wisdom on that when the time came. ;)[/QUOTE]
Ha. My wisdom is this, as best I can remember: Level 60 Soldier + max points in Immunity + Spectre Master assault rifle with Frictionless Materials X. Immunity makes you almost invincible and the cooldown is only a few seconds longer than the ability itself, so you can spam it constantly. Meanwhile you can hold down the fire button for ages and not overheat. You still might die once in a while going toe-to-toe with a krogan, but overall it is a pretty broken setup.

High Explosive Rounds X + HMWSG X (or any shotgun really) = Bye bye krogan. And anyone else for that matter. It had a small radius explosion, so aim between two targets for maximum hilarity.

And if they don't die, they'll be flying all over the place, giving the gun time to cool before they get back up.

I've done all the ally achievements for ME1, they honestly werent too difficult. Just picked the 2 squaddies I wanted to roll with and used em all the time. But, I still have the Insanity achievement and several others to wrap up, probably at least another 1-2 playthroughs to do so.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I've done all the ally achievements for ME1, they honestly werent too difficult. Just picked the 2 squaddies I wanted to roll with and used em all the time. But, I still have the Insanity achievement and several others to wrap up, probably at least another 1-2 playthroughs to do so.[/QUOTE]

Yeah initially I always changed my setup, going with different people and such.

Wow even on Normal I get killed by a Krogan because, wait for it, Mass Effect 1 is technically inferior to ME2/ME3. So, when I pick up Liara, the Krogan rushes me and I'm just used to combat rolling, wait that's not existent yet lol, knocking me down. That is I'm down and can't do anything, try to get up and the Krogan (who's like hovering in mid air above my body) is like nah you stay down... DEAD. WTF! Reload save and take everyone out in like seconds because you know you can chain a shit ton of powers yo.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah initially I always changed my setup, going with different people and such.

Wow even on Normal I get killed by a Krogan because, wait for it, Mass Effect 1 is technically inferior to ME2/ME3. So, when I pick up Liara, the Krogan rushes me and I'm just used to combat rolling, wait that's not existent yet lol, knocking me down. That is I'm down and can't do anything, try to get up and the Krogan (who's like hovering in mid air above my body) is like nah you stay down... DEAD. WTF! Reload save and take everyone out in like seconds because you know you can chain a shit ton of powers yo.[/QUOTE]That's the issue for anyone who does ME1 after ME2 or ME3. Lots of WTF moments.

[quote name='dualedge2']High Explosive Rounds X + HMWSG X (or any shotgun really) = Bye bye krogan. And anyone else for that matter. It had a small radius explosion, so aim between two targets for maximum hilarity.

And if they don't die, they'll be flying all over the place, giving the gun time to cool before they get back up.[/QUOTE]

Hi-Ex X + Shotgun. C'mon guys. I greatly doubt anyone's using their shotgun (at least in ME1), so why not give it a shot? He's going to be a very dead krogan after one hit :lol:

Almost forgot: For those of you replaying ME1, turn OFF the AUTO-SAVE. Turning this off makes the game run more smoothly with less stutter and pausing (for example, landing on planets is a much smoother experience where you can immediately start driving around after landing). It might also cause the game to crash less because auto-saving is where it likes to crash the most but, I'm not entirely sure. However, this has the side effect of requiring you to manually save more often due to the possibility of the game crashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and looked at the ME1 achievements again, I'm missing the following ones:

-Insanity playthrough
-Pinnacle Station DLC cheevos (which I plan on picking up when I go back to ME1, I got in on Target BF points so I dont feel bad spending 400 MSP on it anymore)
-150 Sniper Rifle Kills (whoops)
-75 Damping Fields
-75 AI Hacks
-75 Overloads
-75 Sabotages
-75 Neural Shocks

I remember thinking a lot of those would also count if my squad used them as well as Shepard but thats not true....so I'll have to start up some playthroughs again for these.

I had a lot of fun with Pinnacle station when I went back and gave it a chance. Those achievements were fun to get and a little challenging iirc.

My insanity run carries on. I'm doing a mission a night, with a few nights off here and there. I just got through Horizon last night without much trouble. I think the hardest thing so far was Garrus' recruitment mission.

Decided I'm going to run through the whole trilogy again on PS3. When I finish ME1 and import into ME2 I'll decide if I want to make it an Insanity PT. :)

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']My insanity run carries on. I'm doing a mission a night, with a few nights off here and there. I just got through Horizon last night without much trouble. I think the hardest thing so far was Garrus' recruitment mission.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I think the hard part was when Garrus has you close the doors on the first floor.

Are you doing your Insanity PT as a New Game+ (importing a saved ME2 character) or as an imported ME1 character?

Had to put my own Insanity PT on hold. I messed up a few decisions in ME1 and had to go replay parts of it to correct the mistakes. Thankfully, it didn't take too long, but I'm replaying ME2 as quickly as possible on a lower difficulty before leaping back into Insanity. Shouldn't take too long, but it's a fairly large setback.

[quote name='dualedge2']Nice. I think the hard part was when Garrus has you close the doors on the first floor.[/QUOTE]
Oh god, I'm getting 'Nam flashbacks. :cold:

The part on IIRC the left side, with the small corridor and the flamethrower vorcha waiting to surprise one-shot you around a tight blind corner. I just had to laugh the first time that happened.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Oh god, I'm getting 'Nam flashbacks. :cold:

The part on IIRC the left side, with the small corridor and the flamethrower vorcha waiting to surprise one-shot you around a tight blind corner. I just had to laugh the first time that happened.[/QUOTE]

That part and the floating platforms coming at you with all those god damn scions. Pain in the ass for my biotics but no problem for my infiltrator :D

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Oh god, I'm getting 'Nam flashbacks. :cold:

The part on IIRC the left side, with the small corridor and the flamethrower vorcha waiting to surprise one-shot you around a tight blind corner. I just had to laugh the first time that happened.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly where I stopped the last two tries, but this time it was the other side that gave me trouble. Those fucking varren and vorcha.....rrrrrr!

Based on what everyone was saying, I expected Horizon to slay me, but it wasn't bad at all.

Dualedge, I'm playing with an imported ME1 character after having finished ME2 already. Best of both options.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']That's exactly where I stopped the last two tries, but this time it was the other side that gave me trouble. Those fucking varren and vorcha.....rrrrrr!

Based on what everyone was saying, I expected Horizon to slay me, but it wasn't bad at all.

Dualedge, I'm playing with an imported ME1 character after having finished ME2 already. Best of both options.[/QUOTE]

Since my Soldier is my main character, I always Adrenaline Rush the corner and annihilate the flamer quickly. What irritates me is the part with the varren and vorcha (like Chubbs mentioned) because progressing is a little difficult when you're getting swarmed. Worse still, Garrus is taking damage the whole while so you really have to pace yourself.

As for importing, I prefer importing a completed ME2 character. Saves me the resources of making all those heavy weapons again :lol: That, being level 30, and having access to all (almost, except for the Geth Pulse Rifle but it's not very good) weapons helps.

Likely gonna start up my next ME2 run again tonight. Trying to decide between an Infiltrator or Engineer...decisions decisions. But then again, Dat Revenant :D

ME1: Just finished up Feros, with the playthrough where I'm going to run with Liara and Tali all the way to get the achievo, and got stuck in the ground/wall when you're taking on the Thorian. Luckily I just crouched and it got me out of it! That Asari clone was no match with Tali's Overload and Liara's throw and singularity skills. :D

I forgot how much I hated going through inventory, why can't I hit up to go to the last item on my list!

I started up ME2 again Saturday night. Playing as a Sentinel on Veteran, liking it a lot. Just on Omega now doing Mordin's recruitment. Tech armor ftw!

Recruited Mordin tonight. Curious, what do you guys usually do when Shepard meets Daniel and the Batarians? I usually charm/intimidate them into releasing Daniel and then let them go but I RP'd this Shep to kill them afterwards, he has distrusting memories of the Batarians from the Elysian Blitz and Bring Down The Sky, especially after being forced to let Balak go in order to save the scientists. Interestingly, he helped the Batarian victim from the plague, so he doesnt view ALL Batarians as bad guys.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Recruited Mordin tonight. Curious, what do you guys usually do when Shepard meets Daniel and the Batarians? I usually charm/intimidate them into releasing Daniel and then let them go but I RP'd this Shep to kill them afterwards, he has distrusting memories of the Batarians from the Elysian Blitz and Bring Down The Sky, especially after being forced to let Balak go in order to save the scientists. Interestingly, he helped the Batarian victim from the plague, so he doesnt view ALL Batarians as bad guys.[/QUOTE]

I always talk through it and get them to release Daniel and save the wounded Batarian on the way to the clinic. But, I've always hunted down Galen in Bets in ME1, so go figure.

I did Miranda's loyalty mission last night, but when it dropped me back in the bar on Illium I don't have squad points to distribute. I had 2 per squadie going in and 2 when it was over. Something doesn't seem right. So I need to go back to the Normandy and talk to Miranda for the experience points to trigger??

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I always talk through it and get them to release Daniel and save the wounded Batarian on the way to the clinic. But, I've always hunted down Galen in Bets in ME1, so go figure.

I did Miranda's loyalty mission last night, but when it dropped me back in the bar on Illium I don't have squad points to distribute. I had 2 per squadie going in and 2 when it was over. Something doesn't seem right. So I need to go back to the Normandy and talk to Miranda for the experience points to trigger??[/QUOTE]
Maybe you didn't level up? Loyalty missions with the EXP boost give ~920 IIRC. So it's possible to not level up from one.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Maybe you didn't level up? Loyalty missions with the EXP boost give ~920 IIRC. So it's possible to not level up from one.[/QUOTE]

That has to be it because I know slam unlocked.

Played through Eden Prime in ME1 PS3 last night. It's pretty much exactly the same as the Xbox version, I do feel like it played a little bit smoother though (monster mandatory install probably helps!). I'm kind of dreading the Mako sections, but I have to say, no matter how old that game gets it still looks and feels damn good to play. I'm thinking I might go for the ally achievements trophies for Ashley and Garrus.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I always talk through it and get them to release Daniel and save the wounded Batarian on the way to the clinic. But, I've always hunted down Galen in Bets in ME1, so go figure.

I did Miranda's loyalty mission last night, but when it dropped me back in the bar on Illium I don't have squad points to distribute. I had 2 per squadie going in and 2 when it was over. Something doesn't seem right. So I need to go back to the Normandy and talk to Miranda for the experience points to trigger??[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's usually what I've done too. Decided last night though to take a different approach, this Shep has nothing but bad history with Batarian hostage situations and feeling guilt over letting Balak go to save Kate Bowman, so he didn't trust those Batarians to honor the terms. I did save the wounded Batarian in the street since he was helpless and had information about the situation.

Yeah I was surprised to see that the long pauses in dialog in ME1 are pretty much gone, patched maybe? Aside from Liara looking over her shoulder/Kaiden just staring at me approaching him for like a minute before she/he decides to talk to me. lol

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah I was surprised to see that the long pauses in dialog in ME1 are pretty much gone, patched maybe? Aside from Liara looking over her shoulder/Kaiden just staring at me approaching him for like a minute before she/he decides to talk to me. lol[/QUOTE]
I've had one instance where Shepard's mouth moved but the audio didn't play. The frame rate just seems smoother overall than what I remember on the 360. However, it takes a year and a day to manually save the game. Is the PS3's HDD like radically slower than the 360's?

Well that's odd, last night driving around in the Mako -in ME1- I couldn't zoom in with the gun (after I had used the feature on the Moon looking at Earth actually). I could still fire and everything but I had to be really good to line up the explosive shot lol.

My insanity run progress continues. I did Miranda's loyalty mission and have recruited Thane. Next up is Samara and Garrus' loyalty mission before recruiting Tali and off to the Collector ship. All in all, things are going rather well. I'm having a lot of fun this time around (not that I didn't the last times).

I did Grunt's recruitment mission two nights ago and for the first time really felt myself missing ME3's gampelay. That final combat sequence before meeting Okeer really kicked my ass, I kept having trouble getting into cover and I was reminded of how ME2 would just have Shep stop everytime he got hit by an enemy, and he couldnt ever move into cover before dying.

Especially painful because I actually got through it on the first try and then I messed up the hack afterwards and screwed myself outta 1500 credits....thought "I'll just go through it again can't be that bad", 45 minutes later....ugh. Sad that that fight was infinitely harder for me than the actual boss fight with Jedore, the mech, and the krogan.

That battle just before Okeer is tough. I got through it by the skin of my teeth...squad dead, no gels and nearly out of ammo.

Last night I did Jacks loyalty mission and recruited Samara. It's going really well, to the point that I've checked to make sure it's still on Insanity.

It definitely gets easier as you get further into the game. All those weapon upgrades and stuff start to give you the advantage over the enemies.

[quote name='GamerDude316']That final combat sequence before meeting Okeer really kicked my ass, I kept having trouble getting into cover and I was reminded of how ME2 would just have Shep stop everytime he got hit by an enemy, and he couldnt ever move into cover before dying. [/QUOTE]

Weird. I have never had this problem is all 7 (soon to be 8 & 9, but I can't be sure for those) of my PTs. As for when I do that section, I take a certain path through the area and I've always made it through just fine.

Btw, the squad AI is pretty stupid. Don't EVER rely on it. I remember letting my squad get downed during the end of Reaper IF/F mission and just kiting the husks to my heart's content.

Damn Borderlands 2. Really sidetracked me on getting to my new Insanity PT.

[quote name='dualedge2']Weird. I have never had this problem is all 7 (soon to be 8 & 9, but I can't be sure for those) of my PTs. As for when I do that section, I take a certain path through the area and I've always made it through just fine.

Btw, the squad AI is pretty stupid. Don't EVER rely on it. I remember letting my squad get downed during the end of Reaper IF/F mission and just kiting the husks to my heart's content.

Damn Borderlands 2. Really sidetracked me on getting to my new Insanity PT.[/QUOTE]

This is my 7th play though as well and I always had this happen in ME2, especially when getting hit by the Blue Suns rockets. I mean, it's realistic, but it's annoying as hell to not be able to get to cover either.

bread's done
Back