Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

But remember, it's your squad that levels this time around. So it'll be a little different, and I imagine it will still take multiple play-throughs to max out.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Does the original still hold up? I want to play ME2, but after hearing about the self-referentiality I'm hesitant to play it without playing ME first. What should I do?[/QUOTE]

Buy the first game for the whopping 15-20 bucks it goes for these days and play it, ME2 isn't going anywhere in the meantime

I was able to view some gameplay first hand from a friend who got a copy early (i.e. bought it from the store he works at early and wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired for it). If anybody wants some details on some gameplay specifics, I may be able to provide them. Just tell me what you want details on, but keep in mind my knowledge is still limited.

Of course I'll spoiler tag any answers in case anybody doesn't really care to know.

[quote name='Draekon']I was able to view some gameplay first hand from a friend who got a copy early (i.e. bought it from the store he works at early and wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired for it). If anybody wants some details on some gameplay specifics, I may be able to provide them. Just tell me what you want details on, but keep in mind my knowledge is still limited.

Of course I'll spoiler tag any answers in case anybody doesn't really care to know.[/QUOTE]

If you do not play the first game, you do that little interview or whatever at the beginning where you build shepard's back story. How detailed is it? Do you answer a specific question pertaining to each of specific thing that a the choice in the 1st game can affect? Or does it ask you one question and your answer choice affects, for instance, killing Wrex and killing the Rachni Queen.

Do you understand what I am asking?

I know I'm just making the wait harder for myself but, I've been listening to some of ME 2's music that's been uploaded on YouTube. Wow. It's so good. Some of it has an almost Blade Runner-like feel to it. Jack Wall did a fantastic job.

For anyone who is interested: according to the guy Giant Bomb had on their podcast, if you import a save from ME1 you will be able to change the class/appearance of your Shepard from what it was.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']If you do not play the first game, you do that little interview or whatever at the beginning where you build shepard's back story. How detailed is it? Do you answer a specific question pertaining to each of specific thing that a the choice in the 1st game can affect? Or does it ask you one question and your answer choice affects, for instance, killing Wrex and killing the Rachni Queen.

Do you understand what I am asking?[/QUOTE]

I didn't encounter that as I'm sure he's already past it. I more or less saw how they changed hacking/decryption, the new battle and skill system, loading/transportation screens (aka the new "elevator"), the new equipment system, the upgrade system, and the whole flight system, and the new quest system. While there is some info on it out there, I could probably go a little more in depth on them.

P.S. Feed your fish.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']For anyone who is interested: according to the guy Giant Bomb had on their podcast, if you import a save from ME1 you will be able to change the class/appearance of your Shepard from what it was.[/QUOTE]

Awesome!

I only was able to get 1 hour of this game in this morning and I have to say it is drastically superior to the first one in regards to everything. There are some pleasant suprises in the beginning also :)

[quote name='XxSmityxX']I only was able to get 1 hour of this game in this morning and I have to say it is drastically superior to the first one in regards to everything. There are some pleasant suprises in the beginning also :)[/QUOTE]

WTH? How did you get the copy?

Joystiq video interview with Keschuk himself here:http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/22/interview-bioware-greg-zeschuk-on-mass-effect-2-and-3/
"You may not even see the impact of a decision in Mass Effect 1 in Mass Effect 2, but in Mass Effect 3," BioWare's Dr. Greg Zeschuk told us while elaborating about the whole Mass Effect franchise. The pedigreed co-founder of BioWare isn't simply set on promoting the upcoming Mass Effect 2, but a vision for the entire trilogy. "In planning out the overall trilogy, we know what general story beats we want to hit along the entire thing. So we know the key events we want to have in 3, and right now the team is starting to flesh that out, fill in the spaces. And of course, we're going to be waiting for the fan response to Mass Effect 2, to see what works and what didn't work, what we can strengthen."

Fan reaction is a huge part of the BioWare design, but according to Zeschuk, the Mass Effect team still goes with what they want to do. "Fan reaction is usually a really important part of what we do. We listen to everything the fans say, everything the press says. And when we make a sequel, that's one of the guiding things. Overriding that though really is the team's choice. And I think that's interesting because obviously the fans have been very vocal about who they want to see and how they want to see them. We've made our choices, and they may or may not be happy with what we did. But at the end of the day, they're going to think the experience was incredible. And you have to remember there's a third part, as well. Hey maybe you didn't see who you wanted to see in number two, but maybe you'll see them in number three. We're going to keep fans guessing."

People probably bought it from the store they work at, that's what I would do if I still had my retail job. Lucky bastards!

Cannot wait to get this Monday night, I might just hafta play all night!

Also finished up my last ME1 acheivements, 1200/1200!

[quote name='NamPaehc']So is ME3 going to happen prior to ME2 in the timeline? Or will they progress in order?[/QUOTE]
Why the hell would they go back in time for ME3? Even assuming that made sense, the devs have stated multiple times that your decisions in 1 and 2 will affect the story in the third game...

Some local stores are selling them early ...

Scanning Planets is actually worse than Mako driving since you need to do it constantly to get resources for upgrades..... And somehow they've managed to one up themselves on the tediousness of it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Why the hell would they go back in time for ME3? Even assuming that made sense, the devs have stated multiple times that your decisions in 1 and 2 will affect the story in the third game...[/QUOTE]

Or some where in the middle of 2? Someone mentioned there is a time gap of a few years. I thought it was between 1 and 2... At least I few months there. The missing years could be in the middle of 2, I'm not sure where I saw it now.

[quote name='Zoglog']Some local stores are selling them early ...

Scanning Planets is actually worse than Mako driving since you need to do it constantly to get resources for upgrades..... And somehow they've managed to one up themselves on the tediousness of it.[/QUOTE]

You can speed the process up considerably by
keeping your cursor tool on the right side of the planet to speed things up and using a single probe to mark where you started if you need it
. Still a time consuming and repetitive, but not too terrible. At least not compared to driving the Mako around on those terribly designed planets.

[quote name='Zoglog']Some local stores are selling them early ...

Scanning Planets is actually worse than Mako driving since you need to do it constantly to get resources for upgrades..... And somehow they've managed to one up themselves on the tediousness of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they had the regular edition at Sam's Club last night. Since I had the Collector's Edition pre ordered I didn't bother.

Anyone order the CE from Amazon and use FSSS? When I pre-order games from Amazon, they generally hit the "shipping soon" phase by Sunday, but mine hasn't, yet. I'm just hoping there isn't gonna be an issue with the supply of the CEs.

[quote name='NamPaehc']So is ME3 going to happen prior to ME2 in the timeline? Or will they progress in order?[/QUOTE]

The Last scene in ME2 is...

A Huge fleet of Reapers headed (assumingly) towards you.

So i think its safe to say it will be a continuation, unless they Kojima it and they make a game about Shepard's Father.

When discussion about the end of the game has already begun, then I know it's my cue to head underground until I beat the game.

I hope everyone enjoys the game, because I know I will. I'll see you on the other side :cool:

(image link in this post is a semi-spoiler for Miranda, but one that no one would hate me for)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']When discussion about the end of the game has already begun, then I know it's my cue to head underground until I beat the game.

I hope everyone enjoys the game, because I know I will. I'll see you on the other side :cool:

(image link in this post is a semi-spoiler for Miranda, but one that no one would hate me for)[/QUOTE]

:bouncy:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Anyone order the CE from Amazon and use FSSS? When I pre-order games from Amazon, they generally hit the "shipping soon" phase by Sunday, but mine hasn't, yet. I'm just hoping there isn't gonna be an issue with the supply of the CEs.[/QUOTE]

My order says it won't be shipped until February 1st.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Anyone order the CE from Amazon and use FSSS? When I pre-order games from Amazon, they generally hit the "shipping soon" phase by Sunday, but mine hasn't, yet. I'm just hoping there isn't gonna be an issue with the supply of the CEs.[/QUOTE]

I ordered with prime and no shipping soon yet either.

There's always walmart at midnight guys! That's what I am doing! And they've been pretty good lately about having the special editions that aren't all big and bulky, so I think they might the CE.

Hey, At least i used tags, it'd be really bad if i let something slip like the Illusive Man is really Shepard's father or something.

Overall the game was really good minus the inventory & ammo systems. I love how Bioware PR tries to spin the ammo system to say they're not using clips that run out when that is exactly what they are.

Yep I'm out until I finish the game. I won't finish it for at least a few weeks I'm sure so goodbye CAG thread until February.

I will stick around another day for early impressions but after that i'm out too. In the meantime I guess I need to go back to Dragon Age so I can wrap that up sometime soon.

Someone who has played it already; is someone in you party having tech required for hacking etc. if you want to open locked stuff and get into computers?

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Someone who has played it already; is someone in you party having tech required for hacking etc. if you want to open locked stuff and get into computers?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like the last poster said, hacking and decryption (now called bypass) no longer requires skills. Also, they changed the whole process and each one is now separate and different.

Game is great in many aspects and far more polished than the first game (especially the side-quests). Only bug I've encountered so far is getting blown on a crate and unable to get down.

However a couple things are kind of amusing/annoying.

1) Inventory altogether is scrapped, everything is simple upgrades now. I don't mind but I think it'd piss off some high end rpgers.
2) As I mentioned before, Scanning is more boring than mako driving was in the first game and it's necessary if you plan on upgrading anything.

Imagine moving a reticule across a giant marble very slowly (VERY slowly) and trying to find spikes on a graph. That's pretty much it and you'll spend way too long on each planet. Not quite sure what the devs were thinking on this one.

Not saying I miss the mako driving, but it was certainly more "enjoyable" (never thought i'd be saying this) than scanning.

After playing ME1 I think I'll hold off for when this game is like $20, I can't play this game and still do well on an FPS game. It's just too different in my case. I do want to play this game though.

[quote name='Zoglog']

1) Inventory altogether is scrapped, everything is simple upgrades now. I don't mind but I think it'd piss off some high end rpgers.
.[/QUOTE]

I am in no way shape or form against this personally. On my second play through of ME1 it astounded me how much garbage was thrown my way, I constantly had to convert stuff to omni-gel or sell it otherwise I hit that inventory limit on every mission.

[quote name='coolsteel']I am in no way shape or form against this personally. On my second play through of ME1 it astounded me how much garbage was thrown my way, I constantly had to convert stuff to omni-gel or sell it otherwise I hit that inventory limit on every mission.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. The inventory in ME1 was fucked.

[quote name='coolsteel']I am in no way shape or form against this personally. On my second play through of ME1 it astounded me how much garbage was thrown my way, I constantly had to convert stuff to omni-gel or sell it otherwise I hit that inventory limit on every mission.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with your assessment, they could have implemented a better inventory system, rather than just scrapping it altogether.

I like the idea of not going through enemy stores in order to find new gear. Honestly, you are apart of the military. You don't see our soldiers over in Iraq plugging some insurgents and pilfering their stuff looking for, "upgrades". The idea that the shit you have is so top of the line you can't buy or find it is a good one!

[quote name='Zoglog']
Imagine moving a reticule across a giant marble very slowly (VERY slowly) and trying to find spikes on a graph. That's pretty much it and you'll spend way too long on each planet. Not quite sure what the devs were thinking on this one.

Not saying I miss the mako driving, but it was certainly more "enjoyable" (never thought i'd be saying this) than scanning.[/QUOTE]

I recall reading that there is a way to speed the process up with a button hold or something, are you doing this? I just find it hard to believe that this planet scanning is worse than getting on a planet and driving the Mako around trying to climb mountains to get to some "debris".

bread's done
Back