Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='Malik112099']While scanning it goes at least twice as fast. I think the main purpose was to increase the speed while not scanning which is more than noticeable. I just constantly tap the left trigger while scanning until I see a spike on the graph. If you are constantly holding down the left trigger to scan the planet I dont know what to tell you other than that's a fool's game. If you notice in the video I do the tap method with the left trigger and it makes scanning a pretty quick task.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the tap method is fastest. Still doesn't explain why you can scan so extremely quickly post-upgrade on the PC but not on the 360. Like I said though, I'll compare it via post & pre upgrade when I do my next runthrough.

Since I had the PC version anyway I fired it up just to see for myself, there really is no comparison even without the upgrade on the PC the actual scanning is going much faster. There is no need to tap at all, it could have been a deliberate choice to make it more thorough for console players but until I hear otherwise i'm just going to assume someone screwed up.

Just started the game and I just got on the ship. So I dont want to run over a spoiler but
do they tell how joker got his legs back? Also I'm surprised that Bioware would have it that in the story you let the citadel council die in the first game. Atleast if you start over thats what they did. I have yet to load up one of my saves.

I have to say that the only thing I dont like is that you can not change your gear when you are on a mission like you could in the first game.

[quote name='kylerg']I am a 57 in ME1 playing through on HxC, any chance I can get to 60 in this playthrough? Think I am half way-- only have about 7 mainline missions done.[/QUOTE]

Is this your 3rd playthrough? Then it's possible. It's pretty much impossible to get it until your 3rd playthrough. I did every single side mission and mined every mineral and found all the artifacts in the first game when I beat it the first time, then on my recent second playthrough I did all of that again plus the 2 DLC packs and was still 60k XP short of 60.

57-58 and 58-59 require 120k XP, while 59-60 requires 200k XP.

[quote name='sendme']Just started the game and I just got on the ship. So I dont want to run over a spoiler but
do they tell how joker got his legs back? Also I'm surprised that Bioware would have it that in the story you let the citadel council die in the first game. Atleast if you start over thats what they did. I have yet to load up one of my saves.

I have to say that the only thing I dont like is that you can not change your gear when you are on a mission like you could in the first game.[/QUOTE]

He never lost his legs, they just never showed him walking in the first game. He still has brittle bone syndrome. There's also a major event with him very late in the game.

On some missions, like the one to recruit Archangel, there will be a computer terminal midway where you can switch weapons, but not Shepard's armor.

Guess it's just me but, on the 360 with the default speed, I still don't find scanning that much of a problem. I always have plenty of every mineral for upgrades and that's without even hitting every planet. /shrug

My copy just came today. Right now, I'm thinking of starting up second playthrough of ME1. First one was paragon soldier with the male Shepard. I'm debating another playthrough of this character with another class or try a female Shepard. I don't know if I will or not. I just have the feeling I it might be hard to go back to ME1 after ME2.

I'm also thinking of selling of my CE armor code. I was lucky enough to be up when xbox live had all the DLC for free, so I don't really need it. I wonder if I could get enough to pay for my CE guide?

[quote name='Fjordson']Guess it's just me but, on the 360 with the default speed, I still don't find scanning that much of a problem. I always have plenty of every mineral for upgrades and that's without even hitting every planet. /shrug[/QUOTE]

The beginning costs aren't bad at all, but once you get the first few damage bonuses, the other bonuses you unlock cost significantly more.

[quote name='wildcpac']Does the mineral limit ever go up? I believe the max is 35 000.[/QUOTE]

The maximum limit it shows visually is 25,000. The actual maximum limit you can carry? It's probably 999,999. You can go over 100,000 but that's all I know.

Just beat it.

Mordin was my only death. It sucks, I was only missing one omni-tool upgrade and of course, because of that he died. I chose to blow up the facility in the end, too, but I also have a dupe save so I may reload, try to save Mordin, and save the facility. HAHA! As I was typing this, I figured out a really fucking easy way to save Mordin. I'll just put the bastard in my party and he'll be fine.

I'm really digging the game. It's sooo good.

There was some pretty funny stuff in the Citadel:

Shepard going around giving his advertisement to EVERY store saying the same exact line. :rofl:

A thing I do for probing planets is to scan and then let go, move a bit and scan again. I don't have any problem finding resources but sometimes I need only one resource with my other resource banks full. Can I have these upgraded (like an upgrade a possible crew member can give me) as a few researches are more than what I can acquire totally for one mineral. I'm past 20 hours in and oh my god the story is good.

*Includes a single-use code granting access to the Cerberus Network, an online system providing access to included bonus downloadable content.

That sounds fishy.

[quote name='kylerg']*Includes a single-use code granting access to the Cerberus Network, an online system providing access to included bonus downloadable content.

That sounds fishy.[/QUOTE]

It totally is.

The cerberus network is the portal for free ME2 content. It costs 1200 points to buy, but everything in it will supposedly be free. If you don't have an EA account, you'll have to create one before you can use that key. It took me 20 minutes or so of fiddling around with codes before i could even play the game (factoring in the xbox reboots for the DLC to activate).

They implemented it that way to make people rethink buying a used copy -- save $5 on the game, but then you have to spend over $10 to get the full experience. why buy used when new is 'cheaper'?

Its a brilliant strategy to combat the used game market.. but its still a douche move to your customer.

The problem, for me at least, is if the free content will be worth while? They, BioWare, have already confirmed paid DLC will be sold separately (as in not through the Cerberus Network) so really, are we going to gain enough content to make us go back through and play the game? I'm still debating if I want to eBay the card for $10 or so. That would essentially lower the price for my CE to about $58...

I still don't have it, and won't anytime soon (god I need a job!), so Question(s):

Mako better?
How do conversations end? Do the look left (thiers) then walk away, all odd like?
How deep is armor customizing?
If you start new or edit, is there any more (good) options for making your guy? I'm tired of my Clone Trooper Shepard (Seriously, add some white armor, and the helmet, and it becomes a horrible/awesome crossover)

ME1 related question. Can I delete the Bring Down the Sky DLC from the HDD and not break the game?

I want to run my 57 up to a 60 first.

I've just finished my first playthrough. I'm about to restart ME1 to begin a new character from scratch and go renegade in ME2

Jack and Legion died in my game.

Romance spoiler
After all the effort of romancing Tali, we don't even get to see her face, what a letdown

I'm really impressed with the game so far but there's something that really upsets me. You can't toggle helmet on the fly like in the first game. In this game some of the helmets boost stats and such so you wanna have them on but I would like to take it off when not in combat so I can see Shepard's face during conversations. You can only take your helmet on and off on the Normandy it seems. Also all the pre-order armors : Terminus, Inferno, Collector, Blood Dragon; you cannot take the helmet off on those at all. I know it's a small issue but it really upsets me.

[quote name='Shockdrop']I still don't have it, and won't anytime soon (god I need a job!), so Question(s):

Mako better?
How do conversations end? Do the look left (thiers) then walk away, all odd like?
How deep is armor customizing?
If you start new or edit, is there any more (good) options for making your guy? I'm tired of my Clone Trooper Shepard (Seriously, add some white armor, and the helmet, and it becomes a horrible/awesome crossover)[/QUOTE]

Mako is totally gone.

Armor customizing is strange. You can select the default armor, or pick from any of the various DLC armor that you put in with a pre-order code or CE. With the default armor you can select patterns, change the material type, choose primary, secondary colors, etc. It's pretty deep from that stand point. You can make anything from a badass all black suit to a insane pink and yellow one if you want to. The new thing is that you don't get "drops" of armor so to speak. And there are no "stats" on the armor that you do get. Each piece can grant you a specific bonus. So you can get into the situation where you are wearing something that you don't like as much, but it has better bonuses on it.

[quote name='roymustang']Also all the pre-order armors : Terminus, Inferno, Collector, Blood Dragon; you cannot take the helmet off on those at all. I know it's a small issue but it really upsets me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's fairly annoying. I like the Blood Dragon armor a lot, but got tired of never seeing Shepard's face so now I'm using slightly customized default armor. Looks pretty sweet though.

[quote name='roymustang']I'm really impressed with the game so far but there's something that really upsets me. You can't toggle helmet on the fly like in the first game. In this game some of the helmets boost stats and such so you wanna have them on but I would like to take it off when not in combat so I can see Shepard's face during conversations. You can only take your helmet on and off on the Normandy it seems. Also all the pre-order armors : Terminus, Inferno, Collector, Blood Dragon; you cannot take the helmet off on those at all. I know it's a small issue but it really upsets me.[/QUOTE]
What really annoys me about it is that Dragon Age did it perfectly. The helmets were taken off during dialogue scenes. I don't know why ME2 didn't do this as well.

Yep, makes no sense. I was playing with the other armors early on, and like others have said, it just kind of annoyed me to never see his face in conversations, so I dropped them.

Tali: Shepard, is that really you!?
Shepard: Yes, it's me.
Tali: I don't believe it!
Shepard: Hold on, let me take off this helmet.

Shepard: FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

[quote name='BattleChicken']Its a brilliant strategy to combat the used game market.. but its still a douche move to your customer.[/QUOTE]
I don't really get how it's a douche move to the customer. If you're a customer, you get the full experience because you can one time download the DLC. If you're buying the game used, you're not exactly a customer (since they didn't get any of your money). I've actually put 10 hours in on Insanity and I still haven't even activated Cerberus Network. I'm actually starting to think I shouldn't because I'm probably getting more of the intended experience this way without any over-powered DLC weapons.

Can anyone help me with a progress check?

I just finished the mission on Horizon, and I'm trying to do as many side missions as possible. How far along in the game am I? 33%? 50%?

Thanks!!!

[quote name='TheFreshPrince']Can anyone help me with a progress check?

I just finished the mission on Horizon, and I'm trying to do as many side missions as possible. How far along in the game am I? 33%? 50%?

Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

It is impossible to tell since no one knows all the side missions you have completed thus far. What does it matter?

Well, I think I've hit the point of no return (I don't want to be told what the point is if you already know).

Got tired of scanning all the planets constantly at the end to try and finish upgrading everything this run. I think I have around 75,000 Iridium/Palladium/Platinum worth of research until I have every single bit of it, but I just got tired of it and have all of my classes upgrades anyways. As for purchases, I have 275k left of stuff in shops but probably around 150k credits left on me. So it doesn't look like it's possible to buy everything in a single playthrough (and yes, I explored everything completely).

[quote name='chrisswiss83']I don't really get how it's a douche move to the customer. If you're a customer, you get the full experience because you can one time download the DLC. If you're buying the game used, you're not exactly a customer (since they didn't get any of your money). I've actually put 10 hours in on Insanity and I still haven't even activated Cerberus Network. I'm actually starting to think I shouldn't because I'm probably getting more of the intended experience this way without any over-powered DLC weapons.[/QUOTE]

thats cool. if the armor was IN THE GAME originally i bet however youd use it no!?

EA made a dick move having to make us use THE internet site in Oder to activate them, so stupid. half the people didnt even have their gamertag linked correctly when typing them in.

Just hit 30. Easier than I thought it'd be. I've also only got one system at under 100% scanned. I think I'm going to finish that up today and then I'll probably take some time off playing until the next DLC comes out.

This game has done something few others (Fallout 3 comes to mind) have, and that's actually make me want to read and listen to files and actually pay attention to all the other crap that is going on. It's interesting and does actually add something to the experience. The bachelor party in Eternity was freaking classic, as was the conversation between with the Turian trying to get with the Quarian.

Started it up last night and I'm loving it so far. Put about 6 hours in, did the Professor and Archangel missions and some side quest stuff.

The combat is much better, game looks great and doesn't have the slowdown and other issues of the first one. Only nitpicks are the scanning of planets is tedious (maybe even moreso than the Mako) and the load times are still pretty long.

I couldn't take the craptacular exploration (or lack there of) in this game so I went ahead and finished it a hour ago. I'm starting a new Infiltrator game on my second profile soon but overall I'm satisfied with the storyline. If the final game can find a happy medium between the RPG elements of the first and the rewarding combat and remarkable character depth of the second then I feel we will finally have a complete game in our hands. Otherwise... both have something the other is missing.

Sadly
Zero and Legion didn't make it
in my canon play-through and I think I'll keep it that way after I finalize it. After all my main goal throughout the trilogy is to add as much outside depth as humanly possible to my Shepard. The only reason I didn't bother continuing the story because you'd have better odds winning the lottery than finding a combat oriented side quest in this game. Jesus. Besides...
finding out you can get Kelly to strip for you in an Asari dancer outfit was Mastercard priceless.
I'll gladly wait until a FAQ (and a scanner speed update) shows up before I even attempt to complete everything.

Oh, and some of the romance scenes in this game are pure comedy. ME1 were tastefully done for the most part... but I could have sworn they let the Twilight author go crazy. Pass on the puke kthx.

im working on writing down the galaxy and all the planets and such so i know all the probing spots. if anyones interested when im done ill paste it on here if it helps people out. only reason im doing it is so i know where i probed already.

Why did a game without a theoretically infinite source of money put in a money sink in the form of fuel and probes? Or am I missing something?

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']We'd appreciated James... especially those rich in Zero and Platinum.[/QUOTE]

o i havent written down what there rich in. what i recorded is the names if they are rich/good/mod/poor in minerals, and some of them if they have a anomolly. I started recording sometime after i already played, so some planets don't have a rich/good... by their name. I should be finished writing on paper tonight though, don't know when ill type it up.

I'm so glad that the game came early for me Tuesday. Aside from going to class (struggling to let the game go), I was able to just kick back and play all week.

~34 hours later, I have:
Level 30 Vanguard - Mostly Paragon (100% Paragon full, 25% Renegade full)
Assault Mastery (Destroyer) - maxed
Pull (Field) - maxed
Shockwave (Improved) - maxed
Charge (Heavy) - maxed
Warp Ammo (Heavy) - maxed
Incendiary Ammo - level 1

+ finished the game and survived
+ all my squadmates survived :cool:
+ my fish and my space hamster survived
+ all weapon/biotic/tech improvements are at least level 3/5, if not maxed out (I take good care of my crew)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also really glad that I can come back to the internet now that I can't be spoiled any longer :lol:

I honestly have to go waaay out on a limb to think of a bad thing, or "con", to say about this game. The only things that I would have liked to see would be:

More Citadel time -
I felt like Anderson would talk more to Shepard and have a more behind the scenes role in the game - not just one conversation. I also would have liked to see more of the Presidium, but I can understand why most people may not have been ready to see that the infamous Commander Shepard was, in fact, alive.

More post-game conversations -
Don't read unless you've beaten the game:
I really wanted to know what lies ahead for people like Thane, Samara, Jack, and Legion. Jacob and Miranda will undoubtedly stick with me (especially since they both approved of me telling the Illusive Man to shove it). Grunt will probably hang around since I am his Battlemaster, but I could see him going back to the Urdnot clan. Garrus won't go anywhere, he loves me too much. Tali's my Paragon love interest, so I have her by my side for life. I have a feeling that Mordin won't stray too far, especially since I am keeping the data/results of the genophage cure with me. Zaeed's the only squadmate I don't really see having any significant role in the future. I wouldn't mind him tagging along if he'd use that damn medical equipment I spent 50k Platinum on and repair his ugly-ass face. Will Thane die in the estimated 8-12 months!? Will Samara stick with me like she said she would, or at least be ready to assist whenever I call upon her (aka personal Justicar bodyguard)!? Will Jack change her ways now, and will she want to stick around with my crew!? She seemed to be calmer towards the end of the game, I hope some of that lasts. Will Legion go back to the Geth...or...better yet...will the Geth turn into allies for Shepard!? So many questions left unanswered.
Of course, all this is just wild speculation on my behalf because, like I stated at the beginning, there's no discussion of the future of my team.

So, walking around on my ship I happened to notice that Kelly isn't there anymore because she died in the last part. That's sad. :( I'd just gotten her to go for me and feed my fish while I'm away. I looked up on the Mass Effect wiki though and I'm glad to know she can still be a romance option on my FemShep.

After reading through the thread:

I may be the only person in the world who likes the resource scanning in this game (not just "I can stand it"..likes!) and I'm okay with that. It does get stale if you save it all for one big push at the end or whatever, but if you scan planets in between trips to Omega, Ilium, etc. then it's not bad at all. No matter what anyone says, for me: six hours of sending out probes > even two hours of going up and down mountains with the Mako.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, other things I forgot to mention in my previous post:

1. I guess if I had to pick three new favorite characters from this game, it'd be (in order): Legion, Thane, and Samara. Although I was pleasantly surprised with every single new character, these three stood out big time for me. Although Legion is obsessed with Shepard in the story, it turned out being the opposite for me while playing the game. His "personality", the information he brings to the table, his combat skills, and his dialog put him over the top for me. Thane is easily one of the coolest characters in any video game that I've played/heard about. The dialog with his character was one of the highlights of the game for me. Samara was the biggest surprise for me, personally. I had a general idea of the awesomeness of Legion and Thane, but I had no idea I'd like Samara as much as I do. If I ever make a female Shepard, Samara would be the model I'd use.

2. The learning curve was brutal for me at the beginning. Actually, it may be unfair to call it a learning curve, since the game actually gives a good tutorial on how to play it. I guess I should call it the "un-learning curve". The fact that I soaked 100+ hours into ME1 just before this game came out left me way too familiar with the first game's controls. I basically had to forget ME1's combat altogether so that I'd be sharp through ME2. Of course, about 3-4 deaths before I even got control of the Normandy SR2 helped me learn the new system the quick way. About 3 hours into the game, though, I think I mastered the fighting (at least the Vanguard style) and soared through the rest of the game with maybe 2-3 more deaths that I can think of.

3. To put it rather bluntly: I love this fucking game. In my eyes, they did everything right - whether it be the ME1 tie-ins, the romance subplots, the level/planet design, the resource system and leveling up weapons/skills, the customization, the missions/side-missions/messages, the movie-quality feel of the game, the interrupt system...everything. I can't wait to play as Renegade and, eventually, experience every class and every Male Shepard romance (although Tali is my #1 forever and ever - thanks in part to the most well-written romance in video gaming history :cool:).

Game of the Year for 2010. Game of the Year for Forever. (at least until ME3 comes out)

I gotta say the special Loyalty missions in this game are a lot better than just finding armor in a locker in the first! One allowed me to explore a scene that reminded me of Heavy Rain and I even had to split up and go solo for that one. Another reminded me of Lost and another Law and Order. Cool beans! I'm loving this game.

[quote name='TheFreshPrince']Can anyone help me with a progress check?

Thanks!!![/QUOTE]

The next recruit/loyalty mission you do is going to prompt you to put disk 2 in, so really you're 1/3 through the main story according to Bioware (they have said the first 1/3 of the game is on disk 1 with the rest on disk 2, except for the finale.)

bread's done
Back