Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

ME 2 won game of the year at X-Play.

I plan on starting it this weekend, should I go as a vanguard again? I played as a vanguard in ME 1 and loved doing the lift and then blasting with the shotgun.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']I plan on starting it this weekend, should I go as a vanguard again? I played as a vanguard in ME 1 and loved doing the lift and then blasting with the shotgun.[/QUOTE]Vanguard is extremely different from ME1 in this game. If I were you, I'd do a YouTube search for "Mass Effect 2 [class name] trailer" and look at the trailer for each class. The trailers are narrated by Christina Norman (lead gameplay designer) and give you a nice overview of each class.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Vanguard is extremely different from ME1 in this game. If I were you, I'd do a YouTube search for "Mass Effect 2 [class name] trailer" and look at the trailer for each class. The trailers are narrated by Christina Norman (lead gameplay designer) and give you a nice overview of each class.[/QUOTE]This is some very good advice to follow, xtreme_Zr2.

Completely unrelated, going through as a Vanguard on default difficulty versus an Adept on Hardcore difficulty is quite a different experience. Good in a number of ways, a bit frustrating in a few. Still damn fun, no matter what.

So, I'm on record that ME2 squadmates should never be allowed near a shotgun on anything higher than Casual difficulty, but I am curious-- what shotgun do you guys prefer for squadmates? I would generally go with the Eviscerator but I'm looking for opinions on whether the Geth Plasma Shotgun is a better choice.

I've just started the Shadow Broker.. its pretty cool. I just
took down Tela Vasir.. I really liked the bit where you had to drive through the city and chase her. I kinda wish I didn't have to concentrate so much on the driving because the whole skyline etc was breaktaking. Reminded me a little of that scene in Attack of the Clones

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Graphical comparison between ME2 PS3 and Xbox 360: http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/12/16/mass-effect-2-meeting-jacob

PS3 version does look a bit sharper, but it could just be the difference in brightness.

Also, they have a general preview of the PS3 version. In addition to the new motion comic intro, which sounds pretty slick, they've removed the hacking and bypass minigames from story missions, and sped up the resource mining even more.

If I had a PS3, I'd be all over this. :/[/QUOTE]I don't think I'll pick this up at launch, though I will probably pick it up over the summer when it should be cheaper, in prep for ME3 on the PS3.

I'm curious to figure out why they decided to remove the hacking and bypass minigames from the story missions, as that's about half the game. I'm assuming story missions to be anything that isn't a side mission, such as character acquisition missions, loyalty missions and anything that extends the plot along.

The article makes it sound like a pacing issue, like they thought it broke the flow of the game in situations that are supposed to be "urgent."

It seems to me that's always going to be an issue in an RPG though, whether in the form of "Let me pause in the middle of this heated firefight to go to the menu and assign some skill points" or "We're on an urgent mission to save the galaxy, but I'm going to make some time to mill around Illium and see if there are any contract disputes I might be able to help with." :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The article makes it sound like a pacing issue, like they thought it broke the flow of the game in situations that are supposed to be "urgent."

It seems to me that's always going to be an issue in an RPG though, whether in the form of "Let me pause in the middle of this heated firefight to go to the menu and assign some skill points" or "We're on an urgent mission to save the galaxy, but I'm going to make some time to mill around Illium and see if there are any contract disputes I might be able to help with." :)[/QUOTE]That's the one thing I've always found funny about ME1 and ME2, you have this urgent mission to save the galaxy and you're off doing random side tasks. Pretty funny that they chose to slim down the "urgent" story missions and not the story itself. :D

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Apparently the PS3 version of ME2 runs on the ME3 engine.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-16-ps3-mass-effect-2-uses-me3-engine[/QUOTE]Nice. Gives some hope that they'll have more time to tweak it for the PC/360/PS3 before it releases, since I'm sure they have a number of months to tweak it before they have to lock it down as done to make sure the get the rest of the game done.

Also gives some hope that it'll look at least as good on the 360 as it does for the PS3 when we get to ME3.

Does anyone know, since DLC you buy for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age is attached to your Bioware social account, if it will carry over between systems (like Dragon Age 360 DLC to your PC version).

I've gotten everything for Mass Effect 2 on the 360 but Overlord, Kasumi, and Shadow Broker. Just got a PS3 as well. If it carries over, it would set me up perfectly.

[quote name='detha']Does anyone know, since DLC you buy for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age is attached to your Bioware social account, if it will carry over between systems (like Dragon Age 360 DLC to your PC version).

I've gotten everything for Mass Effect 2 on the 360 but Overlord, Kasumi, and Shadow Broker. Just got a PS3 as well. If it carries over, it would set me up perfectly.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that only free DLC will carry over; that seems to be the pattern so far between the 360 and PC versions. I just checked my DLC page on BioWare's site, and all of the free promotional stuff is listed for Xbox 360 and PC, but the DLC that I purchased for Xbox 360 (like Stolen Memory and Overlord) does not also show up for PC.

Staff of Parthalan Dragon Age II Xbox 360
Hindsight Dragon Age II Xbox 360
Staff of Parthalan Dragon Age II PC/Mac
Hindsight Dragon Age II PC/Mac
Staff of Parthalan Dragon Age II PS3
Shadow Broker Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Equalizer Pack Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Recon Hood (Dr. Pepper) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Umbra Visor (Dr. Pepper) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Firepower Pack Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Aegis Pack Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Overlord Pack Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Kasumi - Stolen Memory Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Inferno Armor Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Alternate Appearance Pack 1 (Garrus, Thane, Jack) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Terminus Weapon and Armor Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Blood Dragon Armor Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Collectors' Weapon and Armor Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Sentry Interface (Dr. Pepper) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Cerberus Weapon and Armor (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Normandy Crash Site (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Cerberus Arc Projector (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Firewalker Pack (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360
Recon Hood (Dr. Pepper) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Umbra Visor (Dr. Pepper) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Inferno Armor Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Terminus Weapon and Armor Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Blood Dragon Armor Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Collectors' Weapon and Armor Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Sentry Interface (Dr. Pepper) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Zaeed - The Price of Revenge (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Cerberus Weapon and Armor (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Normandy Crash Site (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Cerberus Arc Projector (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
Firewalker Pack (Cerberus Network) Mass Effect 2 PC/Mac Download
The Stone Prisoner Dragon Age: Origins Xbox 360
Blood Dragon Armor Dragon Age: Origins Xbox 360

Just finished the Shadow Broker DLC.. i'm pretty disappointed to be honest. It was over so quickly.. definitely should of only been 400MS points.

[quote name='detha']Does anyone know, since DLC you buy for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age is attached to your Bioware social account, if it will carry over between systems (like Dragon Age 360 DLC to your PC version).

I've gotten everything for Mass Effect 2 on the 360 but Overlord, Kasumi, and Shadow Broker. Just got a PS3 as well. If it carries over, it would set me up perfectly.[/QUOTE]I'm guessing that everything we've had as free DLC (Firewalker missions, Zaeed, weapon / armor items) on the 360 and PC, plus the paid packs (Kasumi, Overlord, Shadow Broker, Aegis pack, Kestral pack, Firepower pack, Dr. Pepper items) will all be in the PS3 on-disc and included with it.

Anything that might come out after the fact as free DLC (which I don't expect from this point forward) should be across all three platforms, though paid DLC only remains for the console or PC you bought it for.

According to Kotaku, the comic intro piece is actually a Cerberus Network download, so only new purchasers will even get to use it, and people without a Cerberus code will presumably be stuck with the default choices. Seems to me that it also leaves the door open for the comic showing up on the 360's Cerberus Network as well.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']According to Kotaku, the comic intro piece is actually a Cerberus Network download, so only new purchasers will even get to use it, and people without a Cerberus code will presumably be stuck with the default choices. Seems to me that it also leaves the door open for the comic showing up on the 360's Cerberus Network as well.[/QUOTE]Oh boy, looks like the "love" EA shows for used copies of ME2 hits the PS3 as well.

Since it's going to be a Cerberus Network download, I'm sure the download of the Cerberus Network item itself will appear on PSN for $15, like it is on XBLM for the 360.

Would be nice if it was a free download for anyone with a PC or 360 copy of ME2, or even a small cost (400 MSP) download.

This was a nice thing to pull out of the Kotaku article:
[quote name='From Kotaku article']Bioware plans to release more Cerebus Network content for all platforms in 2011.[/quote]

Hello more DLC.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Just finished the Shadow Broker DLC.. i'm pretty disappointed to be honest. It was over so quickly.. definitely should of only been 400MS points.[/QUOTE]
headexplodes.png

I don't mean for it to look like I'm calling you out (I'm not), but you are literally the first person I have heard of who was disappointed with this DLC - and that's after scavenging through the BioWare threads, looking at all the reviews, etc.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I don't mean for it to look like I'm calling you out (I'm not), but you are literally the first person I have heard of who was disappointed with this DLC - and that's after scavenging through the BioWare threads, looking at all the reviews, etc.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I actually just played through it again last night, and I was struck once again by how exciting and cinematic it is. It's probably more epic than anything in the main game excepting possibly the final mission. The only thing I find disappointing about it is
the death of Tela Vasir. What a badass! I want more Vasir!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I actually just played through it again last night, and I was struck once again by how exciting and cinematic it is. It's probably more epic than anything in the main game excepting possibly the final mission. The only thing I find disappointing about it is
the death of Tela Vasir. What a badass! I want more Vasir!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I went through it about a week ago with my Insanity playthrough and I quite enjoyed the challenge. I felt the level design for the DLC was very well done but that's just what I do on the side so maybe that's why I noticed it.

I'm also excited to see the PS3 version of ME2 use the ME3 engine. That means it will look that or even better when ME3 comes out!!!

Not sure if this has been talked about but, what about a limited edition of the PS3 version? No mention of that or the Collector armor that comes with it. I kinda found that odd.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']
headexplodes.png

I don't mean for it to look like I'm calling you out (I'm not), but you are literally the first person I have heard of who was disappointed with this DLC - and that's after scavenging through the BioWare threads, looking at all the reviews, etc.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, I heard it was killer DLC so I went into it thinking this is totally going to get me into the game again but it was over in like an hour or so.

I'd want the comic to come to other platforms so I could start a Female Shepard character. I don't want to play through Mass Effect in order to play the sequel again. I hate the original's technical problems.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'd want the comic to come to other platforms so I could start a Female Shepard character. I don't want to play through Mass Effect in order to play the sequel again. I hate the original's technical problems.[/QUOTE]
You can still start a new female Shepard in ME2. She'll be a bit of a Renegade by default, but that's the best kind. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You can still start a new female Shepard in ME2. She'll be a bit of a Renegade by default, but that's the best kind. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Wrex is dead on the default profile. That just ain't gonna fly.

Well
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Commdor/BioWare_Reveals_ME2_PS3_Content_Details

shows that this method allows you to quickly import a character with the actions you want so expect this comic idea to come around with ME3. Really it's a great way to get new people into the game with a semi-connected character, although likely nothing can compare to playing through the game. Like King stated though you just want a simple import character and this does it. I would doubt that this feature would be PS3 exclusive only in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Arikado']Yeah, but Wrex is dead on the default profile. That just ain't gonna fly.[/QUOTE]That's why I made sure he lived in my Renegade playthrough on ME1. Too valuable not to let him live.

Going through Kasumi's Stolen Memory for the second time is even more satisfying than the first time and it was damned good the first time around. :D

I need some help...

I am on my third play-thru and wanted to see the story when the whole crew + Shepard die. I know to not upgrade anything nor do any loyalty missions... but I just gathered the whole crew and was expecting the Illusive Man to contact me about the IFF. But he didn't. Is there something else I need to do for that to happen? Or is it just a time thing?

I appreciate the help.

[quote name='shrike4242']That's why I made sure he lived in my Renegade playthrough on ME1. Too valuable not to let him live.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, there are some decisions that I just always have to make the same way, no matter the character or playthrough. Ashley surviving on Virmire, Wrex alive, and the Collector base destroyed.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, there are some decisions that I just always have to make the same way, no matter the character or playthrough. Ashley surviving on Virmire, Wrex alive, and the Collector base destroyed.[/QUOTE]In my Paragon 1st playthrough of ME1, Ashley survived on Virmire and Kaiden died. On my Renegade playthrough (playthrough #2), the reverse happened.

This time around when it comes to the Collector base, I destroyed it on my Paragon play-through on ME2, and I'll let it survive on my Renegade play-through, especially since it'll be one of those plot point situations leading into ME3.

I know this has been debated ad nauseum, but I just can't see how saving the Collector base is a good idea in the context of what we've already seen in the ME universe. Of course the writers could do whatever they want, but so far we've been hammered over the head in both games with examples of people who thought they could use Reaper tech to their own advantage, and it always ends in indoctrination.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I know this has been debated ad nauseum, but I just can't see how saving the Collector base is a good idea in the context of what we've already seen in the ME universe. Of course the writers could do whatever they want, but so far we've been hammered over the head in both games with examples of people who thought they could use Reaper tech to their own advantage, and it always ends in indoctrination.[/QUOTE]I know it probably won't be a good idea to let the base survive, though I want to see how it goes down in ME3 with the base intact.

If anyone can figure out how to spin it around for humanity's needs, it'll be Cerberus. And if it goes like past things we've seen with them, it'll be tainted good at best and quite badly at worst.

[quote name='shrike4242']I know it probably won't be a good idea to let the base survive, though I want to see how it goes down in ME3 with the base intact.

If anyone can figure out how to spin it around for humanity's needs, it'll be Cerberus. And if it goes like past things we've seen with them, it'll be tainted good at best and quite badly at worst.[/QUOTE]

Would't it be nuts if Cerberus some how managed to in-doctorate people while having some sort of control over it. Oh the other alien races aren't going to like that. ;)

Yeah so I just did the Overlord missions again on my 5th playthrough profile. Had to collect Jack and do Horizon before I was able to go after Overlord. Damn died a few times on Horizon even on Veteran lol. Grabbed the Data Hound achievement on Aite since I was looking for it this time and not going through the main mission objectives as strongly as before. God you'd think Bioware would patch this game to decrease the volume of the VI. He's soo loud still (I understand why but still)! Everyone else talks low and then you get this digital high volume noise. The people in my household were saying what the hell is that and I had to apologize a few times for that loud crazy sheit.

[quote name='yukine']I had some Gamestop credit I forgot about, so I finally bought Lair of the Shadow Broker.

Hopefully it's good. ;)[/QUOTE]There's no need to hope. It's the real deal.

:cool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']There's no need to hope. It's the real deal.

:cool:[/QUOTE]Amen brother. :D

Though, as I go through it for the second time, I guess you have to run into Liara and that whole situation on Illium before you can run through it.

I see the teaser for it on the main screen of the game, though it's not listed in my Journal for a mission I can run through. Overlord, yes, Stolen Memories, yes (which was even more awesome with femShep and the 2nd time around), Firewalker, yes, though no LOTSB.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'd want the comic to come to other platforms so I could start a Female Shepard character. I don't want to play through Mass Effect in order to play the sequel again. I hate the original's technical problems.[/QUOTE]
Own it on PC.

Have access to a bajillion save files from other players.

I beat mass effect 2 this morning and wanted to know something.

okay so here goes.

At the end it gives you the option to continue the game or start over with everything you gained from your previous play through I chose that option. (Thinking I could just go back on my previous saves and go back through and beat the game again and try to save my entire crew from dying). Well low and behold my game is that I saved are all deleted. don't really care about the people dying achievement.

But all the work I did for making the decisions through the whole game on my first play through. Are you those decision gone now since I have started the same char on the second play through.

Hm that's strange, I chose that option to and it has my old career saved.

I'll have to go check my xbox to see how to access it, but my playthroughs are definately saved under different careers, my level 28 from the first playthrough, and the continued one that is level 30 on insanity difficulty.

My laptop saves got wiped so I can't check it here at work. x:

[quote name='gotwood']Well low and behold my game is that I saved are all deleted.[/QUOTE]
On the load screen, hit the Y button to switch careers.

Merry Christmas!

Quick question, I bought my son a ME 1 and I found a ME 2 CE @ gamestop(used) the codes were used. I was wondering if I can use the PC version codes for the Xbox? Like if I got the collectors edition(pc) could I use the Collector armor/gun and the cerberus network for xbox?

Rumor has it that the big ME2 DLC packs are going on sale again on December 28th. These include: Lair of the Shadow Broker, Stolen Memory, and Overlord.

If this is true, and you're someone who hasn't bought any/all of these packs, then these next two sentences are for you: do yourself a huge favor and buy all three of these fucking packs. I'm assuming most people received money for Christmas (at least a little), so stop being so tight with your money and enjoy some of the greatest missions in any Mass Effect game :cool:.

If it isn't true, then...buy them anyways! Unless you're one out of a billion, you'll thank me after beating those missions.

It's not a rumor, it's happening according to the DotW thread, we just don't know for sure what DLC will be fore sale.

I think if all three go on sale, I'll probably just pick up Kasumi and Shadow Broker. I haven't heard much about Overlord.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Rumor has it that the big ME2 DLC packs are going on sale again on December 28th. These include: Lair of the Shadow Broker, Stolen Memory, and Overlord.

If this is true, and you're someone who hasn't bought any/all of these packs, then these next two sentences are for you: do yourself a huge favor and buy all three of these fucking packs. I'm assuming most people received money for Christmas (at least a little), so stop being so tight with your money and enjoy some of the greatest missions in any Mass Effect game :cool:.

If it isn't true, then...buy them anyways! Unless you're one out of a billion, you'll thank me after beating those missions.[/QUOTE]

Nope didn't get any money.

Still gonna wait for an Ultimate edition. :)

It's a pretty obvious clue on the XBL dash. ME2 DLC is definitely going to be on sale. I've bought it all day one, so no big deal for me. Though I strongly encourage everyone to get it if they haven't.

More interesting is the rumor that new DLC is coming to ALL PLATFORMS in 2011.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']It's a pretty obvious clue on the XBL dash. ME2 DLC is definitely going to be on sale. I've bought it all day one, so no big deal for me. Though I strongly encourage everyone to get it if they haven't.

More interesting is the rumor that new DLC is coming to ALL PLATFORMS in 2011.[/QUOTE]
It probably will, more money for them.

Though more DLC = better for everyone. :)

bread's done
Back