Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

Flanking and I have a poor history together. I leave flanking for Starcraft and Fire Emblem. For me, Mass Effect is all about the best spot to wait and the best retreat path.

There's a reason I favour sentinels and soldiers, not vanguards, I guess.

[quote name='The Crotch']For me, Mass Effect is all about the best spot to wait and the best retreat path.
[/QUOTE]
Funny you say that, because one of the things the devs are saying about ME3 is that they want you to be in constant motion. They are trying to eliminate the ME2 behavior of finding the best cover spot and just digging in for the entire battle. This probably translates to enemies that will aggressively flank all day. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Funny you say that, because one of the things the devs are saying about ME3 is that they want you to be in constant motion. They are trying to eliminate the ME2 behavior of finding the best cover spot and just digging in for the entire battle. This probably translates to enemies that will aggressively flank all day. :)[/QUOTE]
Motherfucker, ME3 sentinel Shepard will hunker down and hold his position. On Insanity, or whatever the new highest difficulty will be called. Mark my fucking words.

But X doesn't want to talk about The Other Game in this thread, if memory serves.

And for the opposite end of the spectrum, I plan on doing a female vanguard run at some point, since that's the only non-lame-as-fuck (engineer) class I haven't played as yet.

So I reloaded a slightly earlier save and decided to save Samara's Loyalty Mission for next to last. In the meantime, everyone but Kasumi, Zaeed, Tali and Samara are now loyal (I don't have Legion yet, but that'll be for last).

Hopefully I'll have enough Renegade to get enough points for that Mission now. Garrus' Loyalty Mission was...terribly easily. I just got up on some high crates a little bit back and was able to deal with the 2 Mechs somewhat easily.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Funny you say that, because one of the things the devs are saying about ME3 is that they want you to be in constant motion. They are trying to eliminate the ME2 behavior of finding the best cover spot and just digging in for the entire battle. This probably translates to enemies that will aggressively flank all day. :)[/QUOTE]Sounds like the Vanguards will love that and the Adepts will be dropping Heavy Singularities all day long. :D

I'm all for that change in the combat.

[quote name='The Crotch']Motherfucker, ME3 sentinel Shepard will hunker down and hold his position. On Insanity, or whatever the new highest difficulty will be called. Mark my fucking words.

But X doesn't want to talk about The Other Game in this thread, if memory serves.

And for the opposite end of the spectrum, I plan on doing a female vanguard run at some point, since that's the only non-lame-as-fuck (engineer) class I haven't played as yet.[/QUOTE]Vanguard is a fun class to play, once you get Charge upgraded to the max.

[quote name='KingBroly']So I reloaded a slightly earlier save and decided to save Samara's Loyalty Mission for next to last. In the meantime, everyone but Kasumi, Zaeed, Tali and Samara are now loyal (I don't have Legion yet, but that'll be for last).

Hopefully I'll have enough Renegade to get enough points for that Mission now. Garrus' Loyalty Mission was...terribly easily. I just got up on some high crates a little bit back and was able to deal with the 2 Mechs somewhat easily.[/QUOTE]
Doubtful. Though I believe there are a few chances to "catch up" on points, by-and-large, if you fail a check now, you'll never pass it.

If possible, re-spec your Shepard so you get a greater bonus to your paragon/renegade score and wear the best conversation-helping equipment you have.

Well I got the +100% Paragon/Renegade Combat Mastery Bonus and it took my Renegade Meter to the last bar, so I'm hopeful that'll do it if anything does. I was at the start of my third bar before, now I'm at start of my last. Also, I was unaware of conversation-helping equipment.

Also, I should state that when I did the Mission earlier and talked to the Mom I did the Paragon Check, which I probably shouldn't have done.

[quote name='KingBroly']Also, I was unaware of conversation-helping equipment.
[/QUOTE]
You can pick up the Death Mask on Tuchanka, I believe it gives a 10% bonus to negotiation. The Inferno Armor also has a negotiation bonus if you have that. I don't know if it's ever been confirmed whether armor negotiation bonuses carry over to times when you're wearing your casual clothes though.

[quote name='KingBroly']Was the Inferno Armor a pre-order bonus that got leaked out on XBLM?[/QUOTE]
Yup, it was the preorder bonus from Amazon, and also showed up again in the Equalizer DLC pack.

Yeah, I got all of the pre-order DLC because of the mistake.

I went back and I did the Mission, without doing the Paragon check with the Mother. I got the Renegade Check at the end and I went with
Morinth
. I'm enjoying my Renegade playthrough more than my Paragon playthrough. I guess it's because I usually don't play the evil path on games like this. I made a save before it just in case I want to go the opposite direction with that choice.

EDIT:
Just got Kasumi to be loyal, so now all I have to do is Zaeed and then Legion. I have a feeling that the Suicide Mission on Insane won't be pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']I have a feeling that the Suicide Mission on Insane won't be pretty.[/QUOTE]
It's rough, but
if you've got Horizon, the Collector Ship, and the Derelict Reaper under your belt, you can definitely beat the Baseship too
. Make sure to take the Cain for the final boss, and prepare to be disheartened when a huge nuclear explosion removes a whopping quarter of his armor. :p

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's rough, but
if you've got Horizon, the Collector Ship, and the Derelict Reaper under your belt, you can definitely beat the Baseship too
. Make sure to take the Cain for the final boss, and prepare to be disheartened when a huge nuclear explosion removes a whopping quarter of his armor. :p[/QUOTE]I remember when I did that on Veteran and had it be a two-hit kill, after a few random shots from a SMG.

On Hardcore, those two shots knocked him down most of the way to dead, though there was quite a bit of work left to kill him off.

If Insanity only knocks him down to half dead with both Cain shots, it's likely to be an ugly fight.

I'm going to have to get more Iridium. I need 3800 for the Cain and then an additional 10,000 for the final Assault Rifle Damage upgrade. So I'm going to find that before I get the Reaper IFF and Legion's Loyalty. The Cain comes first though.

And somehow I managed to
Romance Garrus
despite being a dick to everyone.

EDIT:
And it has just become even more hilariously awkward.

EDIT 2:
And I accidently gave up Legion. Super...don't really need him though.

I completed the "Lair of the Shadow Broker" DLC in Mass Effect 2, but didn't
free Feron before killing the Shadow Broker himself. Feron is alive and well on the ship afterwards...but "Free Feron" is still listed as an active mission in my journal.
Is there any way to get rid of it?

[quote name='liquidcross']That DLC came out over eight months ago. I figured we were well past spoiler range, but I'll edit my post accordingly.[/QUOTE]

we're CAG's, you know ppl will wait months for the price to drop...but thanks. that said, I haven't beaten what I downloaded when it did go on sale. ;)

Yikes. It could've made things a bit easier, but oh well. I beat the game on Insanity last Friday as well as Shadow Broker on Hardcore. I saved everyone I had, so that was good enough for me. The Suicide Mission wasn't too bad.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The Genesis comic/character creator was released for Xbox today! Costs 320 points though. :cold:[/QUOTE]Hopefully it'll go on sale as we get closer to ME3's release. :whistle2:s

320 XBLM points might not be worth it. :cry:

[quote name='shrike4242']Thought that would bring you out of stasis to comment. :D[/QUOTE]I've been meaning to respond multiple times in this thread since Insanity strategies were recently being asked for, but people seem to be beating me to the punch (and I haven't had the time for my wall o' text-s as of late).

I'm so against this announcement that I'm not even going to put it in the OP title! No laziness will be tolerated :twisted: :cool:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The Genesis comic/character creator was released for Xbox today! Costs 320 points though. :cold:[/QUOTE]

Pretty absurd that they charge for that.

It's nice to have it available for people new to the game who don't want to bother with playing both games, but no way it should cost points.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's nice to have it available for people new to the game who don't want to bother with playing both games, but no way it should cost points.[/QUOTE]
Or for those of us who have started a bunch of ME2 playthroughs with new characters, and are getting a bit tired of the Renegade/"everyone's dead" default scenario. I might pick this up the next time I feel the urge to run through ME2 with a different class or something, but I'll probably wait for a sale. 160 points seems about right for this (actually, making it free Cerberus Network content sounds about right :p).

Yeah, it should definitely, at the least, be free Cerberus Network content.

Moot for me as I've done my 2 playthroughs and have no desire to do any more.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I've been meaning to respond multiple times in this thread since Insanity strategies were recently being asked for, but people seem to be beating me to the punch (and I haven't had the time for my wall o' text-s as of late).

I'm so against this announcement that I'm not even going to put it in the OP title! No laziness will be tolerated :twisted: :cool:[/QUOTE]Don't worry, I'll go track you down when the bug for the Insanity run gets to me and I start on it. For now, it's slogging through DA: O at the moment. ;)

I'm also with the "it should be free for 360 owners" bandwagon, though I can see why they wouldn't, as you can get ME1 on 360 and can't get it on PS3. Might be an amusing bit to pick up with some free Bing-sourced XBLM points.

Yeah I saw there was something for Mass Effect 2 that was new under the new games part but then read that it was this, aawwwwww shucks. It's still a nice option that now 360 and PC users can experience although it might just be cheaper/more bang for your buck to get the original game atm lol.

[quote name='shrike4242']Might be an amusing bit to pick up with some free Bing-sourced XBLM points.[/QUOTE]
Yeah... I've been much more inclined to pick up random crap I don't need (hello Avatar clothes) now that I have a slow but steady stream of "free" points from Bing.

I picked up the Genesis interactive comic. I mean, to buy a comic book it costs $4 these days, so it seems like a justifiable price. Plus, come on, it's something ME related we don't have yet on the 360.

Eh I think it should go under the Cerberus Network but after thinking about it a bit I bet it's due to the agreement Bioware had with EA with all the DLC being paid ever since we past the specific date to start charging for DLC for ME2.

Sorry for the ridiculous title. I got this from blockbuster and it had no manual. During the initial "tutorial" part I pressed a button, I think it was the yellow Y, and now my whole body is a glowing orange and it doesn't seem to be going away. I have no clue what it means or if I am using up something i might need later. Ridiculous question, yes, but trying to figure out what I actually did. Thanks.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']Video proof or no advice will be given.[/QUOTE]

No possible way I can get that. The normal color of the uniform is a dark blueish color. He has a constant orange glow going over his suit. It isn't some sort of bug I don't think, I just want to know how to turn it off as I don't seem to be able to.

Or you could just give advice if you know what im talking about. Kind of makes it easier.

IMAG0021.jpg

Best I can do is a photo with horrible color. The clear stuff on the left guy is the constantly glowing orange. How do I stop it? Anyone know?

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like Tech Armor, if you're a Sentinel. What class are you using, schuerm26?[/QUOTE]

I picked sentinel at the beginning. I imported my person from Mass Effect 1. Is this a normal thing? I thought I hit a button and was using some sort of power that I probably souldn't be at this point.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think Sentinels start out with Tech Armor mapped to the Y button, so it makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Is it alright for me to just let it glow then? Im not wasting anything am I?

[quote name='schuerm26']Is it alright for me to just let it glow then? Im not wasting anything am I?[/QUOTE]
No, it will last however long it lasts and then you'll just have to wait for the cooldown to finish before you can use it again. It's normal.

All abilities recharge. Activating tech armour puts all your abilities on a long cooldown, preventing you from using any offensive abilities for a while after activation, but you want it running as often as possible - it's the best thing about being a sentinel. You get a great big boost to your shields that never wears out (though it does have to be re-activated if you ever lose your shields) and stuns any enemies near you if they do get through it.

Question though, i was at a loading screen and a hint was that higher renegade points open up more intimidation options. I have gone paragon (?) literally through both games so far. What does more intimidation options get you? The paragon options seem to get me what I need. What exactly changes during a playthrough?

Intimidate is just the renegade version of a paragon's charm (the blue text options). Generally speaking, they'll do the same thing. There are a couple harder charms (basically you need more paragon than you would renegade) and a harder intimidate in the game, so if you always want to get the best possible outcome of something, you should focus hard on either paragon or renegade (if you're mostly paragon right now, you can still pick up renegade points, but try not to do it at the expense of getting more paragon points).

As far as the general differences between paragon and renegade? Renegade generally has a higher body count. It's more of a "fuck aliens, go humanity!" thing. And there's a lot of punching people involved. I don't want to get into any more details that that; quite spoilertastic, really.

Paragon is focused on following the rules and doing the right thing.

Renegade goes for results, no matter who gets offended or hurt along the way.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Paragon is focused on following the rules and doing the right thing.

Renegade goes for results, no matter who gets offended or hurt along the way. [/QUOTE]
It can be a little inconsistent, though. Is being all "fuck aliens!" going only for results? Personally, I think buddying up to the 800 pound limb-regenerating reptile is the best means to most any end you need, but no, pro-alien is paragon and anti-alien is renegade (this was more pronounced in ME1, but still has some carry-over into ME2).

Major Mass Effect 2 spoilers:
Killing your enemies in their sleep is renegade, but brainwashing them so they'll be useful to you later on is paragon? And how exactly is killing a fucking justicar putting results first?

Also, destroying the collector base isn't paragon or renegade or anything. It's just fucking stupid.

In conclusion, binary morality systems can blow me. Knights of the Old Republic barely got a pass on this, but that's only because the whole "binary morality system" thing is a key component of the setting. It's god damn inexcusable now.

bread's done
Back