Mass Effect 2 (PS3) $29.99 @ Amazon (again)

[quote name='Wavedash']I heard this was buggy as hell. Comments?[/QUOTE]

I've done 2 play thrus on the PS3 version and have had one hard freeze... I've had like 6 play thrus on the 360 version and no hard freezes...

So it hasn't been a problem for me.

Its really hard to bite on the PS3 version with the 360 one being so cheap. I wonder why EA would release this at a full $59.99 retail when the 360 one at the time was $19.99. I am interested but I need it to drop more but props for amazon for offering the best deal I have seen so far!!

[quote name='Davestation']Its really hard to bite on the PS3 version with the 360 one being so cheap. I wonder why EA would release this at a full $59.99 retail when the 360 one at the time was $19.99. I am interested but I need it to drop more but props for amazon for offering the best deal I have seen so far!![/QUOTE]

The price is semijustified because of all the DLC included with the PS3 release (for free), as well as the updated graphics.

Thank you so so much OP!!! I was kicking myself for missing this yesterday

Turns out I had 19 dollars in reward points i could use making it only 13 w tax...

I have pc version but
A. Want the dlc
B. Want to buy ME3 on PS3 so want to do another playthroigh to make my decisions count

[quote name='BobbyTastic']The price is semijustified because of all the DLC included with the PS3 release (for free), as well as the updated graphics.[/QUOTE]

No, no its not at all the case. If you look at this trend since "Timed Exclusives" have been around you will see that the system to get the game later they get special stuff and the games where usually not full retail but more of a discounted price. This is the first time that I have seen a $40 retail difference between the exact title on different consoles. Even "GOTY" editions are only $10-$20 more when they are released into retail not a whopping $40. Since "Timed Exclusives" have expired it was common practice for publishers to add more content to the games being ported over to help sales.

[quote name='Davestation']No, no its not at all the case. If you look at this trend since "Timed Exclusives" have been around you will see that the system to get the game later they get special stuff and the games where usually not full retail but more of a discounted price. This is the first time that I have seen a $40 retail difference between the exact title on different consoles. Even "GOTY" editions are only $10-$20 more when they are released into retail not a whopping $40. Since "Timed Exclusives" have expired it was common practice for publishers to add more content to the games being ported over to help sales.[/QUOTE]

That's why I said semi-justified. Basically, it wasn't just a straight vanilla port. But yes, you're certainly right. I would have expected to see this released @ $40, but greedy people are greedy. I'd say this is a fair price for the game, if I had a PS3.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']That's why I said semi-justified. Basically, it wasn't just a straight vanilla port. But yes, you're certainly right. I would have expected to see this released @ $40, but greedy people are greedy. I'd say this is a fair price for the game, if I had a PS3.[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between being greedy and being rational.

Playstation has never had the ME franchise, so its not a rerelease. How dumb would they be starting it at a budget price? No company would do it.

If Gears of War 2 came out for PS3 last year, do you think it would have been anything but full price?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']There's a difference between being greedy and being rational.

Playstation has never had the ME franchise, so its not a rerelease. How dumb would they be starting it at a budget price? No company would do it.

If Gears of War 2 came out for PS3 last year, do you think it would have been anything but full price?[/QUOTE]

Yes, or cue lots of bitching and moaning. The market needs to take the fact that people can own more than one console, into consideration. It's rational, but it's still a money grab.

[quote name='Davestation']No, no its not at all the case. If you look at this trend since "Timed Exclusives" have been around you will see that the system to get the game later they get special stuff and the games where usually not full retail but more of a discounted price. This is the first time that I have seen a $40 retail difference between the exact title on different consoles. Even "GOTY" editions are only $10-$20 more when they are released into retail not a whopping $40. Since "Timed Exclusives" have expired it was common practice for publishers to add more content to the games being ported over to help sales.[/QUOTE]

The fallout 3 GOTY was $60 when it came out while the original release was around $20-30...same with the Borderlands GOTY, although in both of these cases the GOTY prices generally fell to $40 within a few months.

As for ME2 on the PS3, I thought it was more a decision on bioware's part to wait until the ME3 engine was more complete so they would only need one engine for both PS3 versions of ME2 and ME3....given ME1 was Xbox exclusive, I think they weren't sure what the what the market demand was going to be for a PS3 version so they wanted to keep an eye on costs for the PS3 development...waiting also had the benefit of seeing the PS3 installed base grow substantially in 2010.

And to bobbytastic's point, I'm sure they are aware many people have both systems.....and for those have both, the odds are they already bought the 360 version...So the $60 price is targeted at those who only have a PS3.

If you have other versions but not the DLC don't bother with this. There are frequent minor bugs that get annoying after a while.
If you have never played ME but are interested I would recommend it at that price. Bugs aside, its a fanfuckingtastic game.

[quote name='Davestation']Its really hard to bite on the PS3 version with the 360 one being so cheap. I wonder why EA would release this at a full $59.99 retail when the 360 one at the time was $19.99. I am interested but I need it to drop more but props for amazon for offering the best deal I have seen so far!![/QUOTE]

I don't have a 360 so buying it cheaper was never an option and it was a new game to me when it came to the ps3. I had no problem paying full price and I loved the game. I think it is one of those games that will drop way low pretty fast though.

[quote name='ruibing']I have it on Steam. I will buy it for the PS3 if it's $20.[/QUOTE]

+1 No major interest in it since i play these on the 360. But it would be neat to have the DLC. I refuse to buy digital d.loads. Kinda lame actually that i hear events from the DLC are key to the story in ME3.. what kinda BS is that?

im sure itll hit 20 eventually. And if not, oh well

[quote name='Orangekun842']If you have other versions but not the DLC don't bother with this. There are frequent minor bugs that get annoying after a while.
If you have never played ME but are interested I would recommend it at that price. Bugs aside, its a fanfuckingtastic game.[/QUOTE]

bugs such as....?

Whats with PS3 getting buggy ass versions of games? I heard Fallout 3 and Obivion ran like ass on ps3 too

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']There's a difference between being greedy and being rational.

If Gears of War 2 came out for PS3 last year, do you think it would have been anything but full price?[/QUOTE]

Yes companies do do it. Look at Capcom bringing over Resident Evil 4 from Gamecube to the Playstation 2. They gave us all the extras and and a $10 price cut. I use this example because its a Triple A title. If you think that game does not qualify as a Triple A title, lets take Rockstar finally releasing Grand Theft Auto on X-Box. They did not add content, but instead released both games in a double pack for $29.99!! So yes, companies do do it.

[quote name='K_G']The fallout 3 GOTY was $60 when it came out while the original release was around $20-30...same with the Borderlands GOTY, although in both of these cases the GOTY prices generally fell to $40 within a few months.
[/QUOTE]

"GOTY" seems to be a new model introduced this generation. I do not recall those prices, the only one I remember was Modern Warfare 2 GOTY and the "GOTY" was only $10 difference. But I have not paid much attention to the "GOTY" prices and regular edition prices that much but I have seen the price fall on Borderlands, though Fallout 3 GOTY took much, much longer.

[quote name='iwannadie']I don't have a 360 so buying it cheaper was never an option and it was a new when it came to the ps3. I had no problem paying full price and I loved the game. I think it is one of those games that will drop way low pretty fast though.[/QUOTE]

I can see that but I am just stating that other publishers have been more generous when they ported over a franchise. There are some examples that games do get ported at full price (Star Ocean Last Hope International) but I have never seen a $40 difference. That is all I am saying, I have had the chance to get the game at $5 on Clearance for the 360, but I knew the PS3 version had the DLC so I passed. I am waiting to get it at a better (more comparable) price. When it hits $20 I will probably jump on it. I am a fan of having content on disc, not DLC on a hardrive.

[quote name='Davestation']
I can see that but I am just stating that other publishers have been more generous when they ported over a franchise. There are some examples that games do get ported at full price (Star Ocean Last Hope International) but I have never seen a $40 difference. That is all I am saying, I have had the chance to get the game at $5 on Clearance for the 360, but I knew the PS3 version had the DLC so I passed. I am waiting to get it at a better (more comparable) price. When it hits $20 I will probably jump on it. I am a fan of having content on disc, not DLC on a hardrive.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, I would have certainly not complained if it came to the ps3 at 30 or 40 bucks.

[quote name='Kenshindono']+1 No major interest in it since i play these on the 360. But it would be neat to have the DLC. I refuse to buy digital d.loads. Kinda lame actually that i hear events from the DLC are key to the story in ME3.. what kinda BS is that?

bugs such as....?

Whats with PS3 getting buggy ass versions of games? I heard Fallout 3 and Obivion ran like ass on ps3 too[/QUOTE]

I've played Fallout 3 on both :ps3: and :360: for about 40-50 hours on each version and they seem about equal, although the :360: version may perform slightly better. The only problem I've had so far with the :ps3: version is that it has froze up 1-2 times and it was really laggy when I was playing the Operation Anchorage expansion.

I was waiting for it to hit $20... but I caved. I actually have the collector's edition for 360, however my 360 died and I decided not to replace it. So I've been dying for it to drop in price so I can get back to playing it (Thankfully I wasn't too far).

Sucks that I'll lose my data from the first game, but oh well.

[quote name='Kenshindono']+1 No major interest in it since i play these on the 360. But it would be neat to have the DLC. I refuse to buy digital d.loads. Kinda lame actually that i hear events from the DLC are key to the story in ME3.. what kinda BS is that?

bugs such as....?

Whats with PS3 getting buggy ass versions of games? I heard Fallout 3 and Obivion ran like ass on ps3 too[/QUOTE]

There are those that entertain the conspiracy that Bethesda has a 360 bias, considering the 360 has been their console of choice. *cough* It's kinda true though, imo.

FO3 in general is pretty good concerning the bugs. And @ Dave, I also prefer having the DLC on a disk (generally runs cheaper anyway, at least compared the XBLM DLC prices) and would prefer ME2 for the PS3, but sadly I do not own the system.

@ Orale, What are you talking about?
@ Rychy, Understandable, but at least Genesis kinda gives you ME1 bonuses? (Comes with the game too!)

[quote name='BobbyTastic']There are those that entertain the conspiracy that Bethesda has a 360 bias, considering the 360 has been their console of choice. *cough* It's kinda true though, imo.

FO3 in general is pretty good concerning the bugs. And @ Dave, I also prefer having the DLC on a disk (generally runs cheaper anyway, at least compared the XBLM DLC prices) and would prefer ME2 for the PS3, but sadly I do not own the system.

@ Orale, What are you talking about?
@ Rychy, Understandable, but at least Genesis kinda gives you ME1 bonuses? (Comes with the game too!)[/QUOTE]

I think their posible bias may come from the fact that the 360 development wise is closer to pc archetecture than the ps3, makes porting easier. Bethesta have mainly been pc developers untill this gen of consoles afterall

i beat oblivion, fallout 3 and new vegas on the ps3 and only encountrered very few minor graphical bugs. nothing where i had to restart my ps3. i think people are blowing the bugs out of proportion. bethesda games on the ps3 are awesome.

Wasn't really full price if you bought it release week. They were selling it for $57 with a $20 credit on Amazon. $37 dollars I considered entirely reasonable for the base game and all the released DLC to date for a first release of an older AAA game from another system.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I think their posible bias may come from the fact that the 360 development wise is closer to pc archetecture than the ps3, makes porting easier. Bethesta have mainly been pc developers untill this gen of consoles afterall[/QUOTE]

No, I agree. Which makes for a bias somewhat, correct? I wasn't trying to insinuate MS pays them off or something. And personally I think all versions of Bethesda's games are blown out of proportion in the bug department (aside from New Vegas, and Brink, kinda).

A $20 GC with the purchase of ME 2 for PS3, damn, how generous. I guess Amazon figured it wasn't going to sell crap unless it made an offer like that.

bread's done
Back