Mass Effect 29.99 at Family Video YMMV

ruffinra

CAGiversary!
I was at family video today and saw used copies of Mass Effect for 29.99. I am not sure if its YMMV or not, this was the Family Video off Patterson in North County for people in the St. Louis area. Anyway I thought this was a great deal since a used copy of it at gamestop is 54.99.

Family Video used games are ALWAYS YMMV. A store clears out 'extra' copies of a game, however the computer system defines it. It's usually the store getting a stock of a game down to one or two copies per store. In the last few weeks I've seen Mass Effect, Skate, COD4, Halo3, and PGR4 all down to the $29.99 price.

Of course, FV disks get so scratched that they aren't even worth $10 to me.

[quote name='vidGuy']Family Video used games are ALWAYS YMMV. A store clears out 'extra' copies of a game, however the computer system defines it. It's usually the store getting a stock of a game down to one or two copies per store. In the last few weeks I've seen Mass Effect, Skate, COD4, Halo3, and PGR4 all down to the $29.99 price.

Of course, FV disks get so scratched that they aren't even worth $10 to me.[/quote]

I dunno if all Family Videos do this but I recently bought a used game from them and they buffed the disc on the spot. The surface actually came out looking good as new and the game plays just fine.

[quote name='vidGuy']Family Video used games are ALWAYS YMMV. A store clears out 'extra' copies of a game, however the computer system defines it. It's usually the store getting a stock of a game down to one or two copies per store. In the last few weeks I've seen Mass Effect, Skate, COD4, Halo3, and PGR4 all down to the $29.99 price.

Of course, FV disks get so scratched that they aren't even worth $10 to me.[/quote]

All game sales are company-wide, however it depends on how many copies a particular store has in stock to determine how many they can sell. All games that are being sold get priced Monday night/Tuesday morning each week, we just sold Super Mario Galaxy for $19.95, but the copies we had went within hours. The prices are so good, you gotta be quick on most high-end games..

And as the guy before me said, all games purchased get resurfaced, if they dont offer, ask them to do it. Game will generally come out looking brand new..

[quote name='DaKrazie1']All game sales are company-wide, however it depends on how many copies a particular store has in stock to determine how many they can sell. All games that are being sold get priced Monday night/Tuesday morning each week, we just sold Super Mario Galaxy for $19.95, but the copies we had went within hours. The prices are so good, you gotta be quick on most high-end games..

And as the guy before me said, all games purchased get resurfaced, if they dont offer, ask them to do it. Game will generally come out looking brand new..[/quote]

WE NEED a Family Video Clearance thread.. Seriously. All game clearances are store wide as I've seen the same prices at my local FV and same in two stores in another town.

I went to visit my sister and stopped by a couple family videos in her town.. Picked up Mass Effect ($30) and Super Mario Galaxy ($20) both were complete (you really have to hunt for a manual or ask up front). And they've ALWAYS buffed the game out for us. I've purchased several games from them before due to the great prices. I was shocked to see SMG at that price and my bro already owns it! Ended up selling to a friend for the same price. MINT COND!

So maybe if this thread could finally become the official B&M Family Video clearance thread that'd be great. I have one in my town, but almost always the games go quickly, so I'd like to know on the spot rather than checking in every 2 weeks haha.

Worthless pile from Bioware. So many problems with the game, both technical & story/gameplay, I seriously don't see how it got so many awards...then again, Microsoft was backing it

[quote name='briansraregames']Just to add to the list of games, I got Orange Box and the simpsons game both for the 360 for $19.95 today at my local FamVid[/quote]

No Orange Boxes for sale at mine, only have 2 for rent so I guess they already clearanced out. Boohoo

[quote name='aznguyen316']damn marked down even further? hmm were there more than 2 copies? jw if they want to keep 2 in stock or not.[/quote]

Nah, it was the last one for sale. They have 3 copies of Pikmin2, but wouldn't budge when I offered to buy one. :(

[quote name='Sphinx625']Nice I live right next to there by Riverwood Estates.

Whats wrong with NOCO?[/quote]

Because I have a bad sense of direction, I'm white, and I'm weak, and if I end up in the wrong part of N. County after dark, I'll be dead. Same thing for East St. Louis, I just don't go to those 2 parts of the area.

[quote name='sp00ge']Nah, it was the last one for sale. They have 3 copies of Pikmin2, but wouldn't budge when I offered to buy one. :([/quote]

Well I figured it's the last one for sale. What I meant was, did they leave any copies on the shelf for renting? I'm getting a feel for how many they sold off and how many they want to keep in store for rental purposes. My local store has two for rent none for sale so I'm assuming they sold off their extras and are keeping these last two for renting.

[quote name='aznguyen316']Well I figured it's the last one for sale. What I meant was, did they leave any copies on the shelf for renting? I'm getting a feel for how many they sold off and how many they want to keep in store for rental purposes. My local store has two for rent none for sale so I'm assuming they sold off their extras and are keeping these last two for renting.[/quote]

Yeah, it seems they sell off all but 2 copies. That's why I had high hopes for Pikmin 2, as there were 3.

On a similiar clearance note, my local Giant Eagle store's video department, Iggle Video, closed down and I picked up both Mass Effect and Orange Box for $15 each.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Because I have a bad sense of direction, I'm white, and I'm weak, and if I end up in the wrong part of N. County after dark, I'll be dead. Same thing for East St. Louis, I just don't go to those 2 parts of the area.[/quote]

Not really dude. North county is 70% white. I think your thinking of North city. The Hazelwood School District is one of the best in St. Louis so...

Picked up a few wii games today at a FamVid in Laporte, IN

Metroid Prime 3, Mario Strikers Charged, My Sims, and Pokemon Battle Revolution. They were all $19.95

Yeah Family Video is pretty awesome on their prices... I picked up all these:

19.95:
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3 w/ manual
Simpsons (360) w/ manual
The Orange Box (360)

29.95:
Mass Effect w/ manual
Bioshock w/ manual and overlay(No FYE around here)

All around some pretty good deals... No PS3 games though.. I don't know if they even clearance them out..

went to the one in Schaumburg, IL (Wise Rd/Irving Park Rd). they had one copy of Mass Effect for $29.99 that i didn't pick up. it was supposed to be for a friend but he wasn't sure if he had time for it. should still be there.

I picked up Dirt for $19.95. Also saw PGR4 ($20) and Mass Effect ($30), plus a few lesser known titles.

[quote name='typeRJ']went to the one in Schaumburg, IL (Wise Rd/Irving Park Rd). they had one copy of Mass Effect for $29.99 that i didn't pick up. it was supposed to be for a friend but he wasn't sure if he had time for it. should still be there.[/QUOTE]

Stupid being at work! I live right by that one. Did you happen to see any copies of the Orange Box?

Here are some other games I saw on sale:

Rock band for PS2 (Game Only)
Simpsons PS2
God of War 2 PS2
Conan 360
Stranglehold 360

and some more but I can't remember right now.. (will update if I remember) Is Conan or Stranglehold worth picking up?

[quote name='SONIKtheHEDGEHOG']Yeah Family Video is pretty awesome on their prices... I picked up all these:

19.95:
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3 w/ manual
Simpsons (360) w/ manual
The Orange Box (360)

29.95:
Mass Effect w/ manual
Bioshock w/ manual and overlay(No FYE around here)

All around some pretty good deals... No PS3 games though.. I don't know if they even clearance them out..[/quote]

We havent put any PS3 games up for sale, just for the simple fact that most stores only get 1-2 copies of each game, because nobody rents PS3 games. We rent more Xbox/Gamecube games than PS3 games, just not very successful.

As for price drops, I can keep you guys updated on new additions. All games are put on sale Monday nights at around 9 PM EST when we get the email. Depends on the store, how many copies they have and/or how well their copies rent. This flucuates due to damaged copies, copies not returned, etc.

The only new game put up for sale this week was Halo 3, which is $29.95, I believe, and each store is allowed to sell 50% of the copies that didn't rent over last weekend, so some stores might have 1-2 for sale, but seeing as Halo 3 is always rented out, most stores probably aren't selling any right now.

I can try keeping you guys updated each week..

[quote name='DaKrazie1']We havent put any PS3 games up for sale, just for the simple fact that most stores only get 1-2 copies of each game, because nobody rents PS3 games. We rent more Xbox/Gamecube games than PS3 games, just not very successful.

As for price drops, I can keep you guys updated on new additions. All games are put on sale Monday nights at around 9 PM EST when we get the email. Depends on the store, how many copies they have and/or how well their copies rent. This flucuates due to damaged copies, copies not returned, etc.

The only new game put up for sale this week was Halo 3, which is $29.95, I believe, and each store is allowed to sell 50% of the copies that didn't rent over last weekend, so some stores might have 1-2 for sale, but seeing as Halo 3 is always rented out, most stores probably aren't selling any right now.

I can try keeping you guys updated each week..[/quote]

What about old GameCube games? What are the odds of them selling them off? My FV has 3 copies of Pikmin 2 that have been on the shelf for weeks without rental. I asked about buying one of them, but they wouldn't budge. Any trick to get them to let one go or is it a lost cause?

[quote name='DaKrazie1']but seeing as Halo 3 is always rented out, most stores probably aren't selling any right now.[/quote]

Depends on the store. Most 360 gamers in my area must have bought the game, as my local FV has 8 copies and I've never seen more than two out at a time.

Double score for me today. After braving the cold to get a Wii, I stopped at FV. They had one copy of Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles for 19.99. I also asked again about Pikmin 2 and the manager sold me one of the three copies for $7.99. No manual, but otherwise complete.

I went to the one in maplewood(stl MO) they didnt have anything useful...like 3 or 4 used off beat ps2 games. Anyone wanna possibly tell what they found at the other locations in stl.

[quote name='Einhanderkiller']It's $9 at the Microsoft ExpertZone.[/quote]

If you work in video game retail, it is.

bread's done
Back