Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Ryuukishi']NeoGAF poster claiming to be an EA PR person says some stuff about Mass Effect 3

Purportedly based on demo reels making the rounds at EA. No earth-shattering revelations, but he does make some interesting claims:

- Squadmates from ME1/2 will return (but he backpedals when pressed for details)
- The game is currently in a playable state from start to finish
- Gameplay footage would "drop jaws," and he mentions seeing the Reapers rendered in-engine[/QUOTE]Legitimate or not, seeing that guy's posts reinforces two things for me:

1. This is going to be the longest year of my life.

2. It's almost time for me to unsubscribe to this thread, find that underground bunker I've been looking for, and lock myself in (with my PC and 360, and copies of ME1 and ME2) until ME3's release date.

:cool:

It wouldn't be too surprising if the game was already fully playable. If it's true that they are reusing the ME2 engine with only minimal alterations, and if the story was already mapped out, and basic content creation started relatively soon after ME2's release...

(Does anyone know whether the whole trilogy's story was planned out in advance? Or are they making it up as they go along?)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']NeoGAF poster claiming to be an EA PR person says some stuff about Mass Effect 3[/QUOTE]

Ugh... dammit. I told myself I wasn't going to look at stuff like this, but I almost instantly clicked the link. This yearlong wait is going to be even tougher than I thought.

[quote name='Ryuukishi'](Does anyone know whether the whole trilogy's story was planned out in advance? Or are they making it up as they go along?)[/QUOTE]

I would assume with as an ambitious of a story that Mass Effect has, the basic framework for the plot has been laid out since the beginning. I'm sure there have been changes and retcons throughout the course of development, but you don't really plan a trilogy without knowing what's going to happen.

[quote name='Arikado']you don't really plan a trilogy without knowing what's going to happen.[/QUOTE]
Unless your name is George Lucas. :lol:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Legitimate or not, seeing that guy's posts reinforces two things for me:

2. It's almost time for me to unsubscribe to this thread, find that underground bunker I've been looking for, and lock myself in (with my PC and 360, and copies of ME1 and ME2) until ME3's release date.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

Boooooo. Someone has to update the OP with the first trailers, concept art and details when they tease them. Forget about the year until release, I'm getting impatient waiting for more details to be released.

Don't make me start taunting you with completely made up rumors. Did you know Shepard is really a Reaper?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Legitimate or not, seeing that guy's posts reinforces two things for me:

:cool:[/QUOTE]Coward. Face your destiny with reading everything there is about ME3 as it comes out. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It wouldn't be too surprising if the game was already fully playable. If it's true that they are reusing the ME2 engine with only minimal alterations, and if the story was already mapped out, and basic content creation started relatively soon after ME2's release...

(Does anyone know whether the whole trilogy's story was planned out in advance? Or are they making it up as they go along?)[/QUOTE]I'm sure they made enough enhancements to the ME2 engine going into ME3 to make it visually different, though I doubt they could completely recreate the engine from scratch in the timeframe between ME2 going GM and ME3 going GM, plus make the game.

[quote name='Arikado']Ugh... dammit. I told myself I wasn't going to look at stuff like this, but I almost instantly clicked the link. This yearlong wait is going to be even tougher than I thought.

I would assume with as an ambitious of a story that Mass Effect has, the basic framework for the plot has been laid out since the beginning. I'm sure there have been changes and retcons throughout the course of development, but you don't really plan a trilogy without knowing what's going to happen.[/QUOTE]Anytime Bioware plans out something to be multi-game, I'm sure they have the whole story arc as a high-level outline in mind before working on the first game in the trilogy. I'm sure they've been adding and adjusting things as they've been available from other sources (ME novels, ME comics, etc.), without making major retcons along the way.

Then again, anything's possible.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Boooooo. Someone has to update the OP with the first trailers, concept art and details when they tease them. Forget about the year until release, I'm getting impatient waiting for more details to be released.

Don't make me start taunting you with completely made up rumors. Did you know Shepard is really a Reaper?[/QUOTE]Do your worst. I'm sure he's digging his bunker hole as we speak with earplugs in his ears.

[quote name='Anexanhume']It was up for pre-order day of announcement. I'm holding off the CE announcement though.[/QUOTE]They went up and I couldn't find them afterwards, so I was surprised to see them again.

I'm also in the "waiting for a CE" announcement, since I need to have the third CE in the set.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Boooooo. Someone has to update the OP with the first trailers, concept art and details when they tease them. Forget about the year until release, I'm getting impatient waiting for more details to be released.[/QUOTE]That's why I made the disclaimer :D

I'm too selfish to let anyone else make the ME3 thread, but it will get updated with like an E3 trailer and information about the versions of the game coming out and release date. The moment that some serious ME3 information gets leaked or announced, a huge flare is going to go off in the sky that will let me know it's time to go underground.

You could also get Shrike to edit my OP if there's a consensus reached in here that certain things should be posted (as long as he keeps the OP looking pretty).

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Don't make me start taunting you with completely made up rumors. Did you know Shepard is really a Reaper?[/QUOTE]I should go.

[quote name='shrike4242']Coward. Face your destiny with reading everything there is about ME3 as it comes out. ;)[/QUOTE]I like to think of it as an act of strength, not a lack of fortitude. Cowardice is me seeing "EA rep gives details of ME3" and clicking the link and looking through it before I can even process the words in my brain because I'm a fucking Husk when it comes to new ME information :lol:.

[quote name='shrike4242']Do your worst. I'm sure he's digging his bunker hole as we speak with earplugs in his ears.[/QUOTE]I had to start digging when that beautiful teaser trailer was shown off at the VGAs. No time to waste, man, the Reapers are coming.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm also in the "waiting for a CE" announcement, since I need to have the third CE in the set.[/QUOTE]I'm at the front of that line with $150 or more ready to be put in the hands of the nearest clerk that can hand me the Mass Effect 3 CE with included bonus DVD, artbook, metal case, N7 patch, replica Garrus Vakarian Kuwashii Targeting Visor, and model Normandy.

:cool:

[quote name='shrike4242']
I'm also in the "waiting for a CE" announcement, since I need to have the third CE in the set.[/QUOTE]

Yup same here.

I just finished about every single mission except for the suicide mission and teh Cerberus Network DLC(which will get soon).

I loved 1 but i didnt know how much better 2 could be and i am finding it a lot better. I regret not starting this earlier than i should have but it looks like i will have to wait a whole year for it. I hope the DLC of bridging ME II and ME III gets some nice added hours of playtime.

toss me in to the CE people too.

I hope they do another steel book like 1 and 2 for the CE.

I have the first one ocmplete, lost the contents for the 2nd which I'm working on getting back.

It'd be a nice set piece for my 360 collection.

The February 2011 issue of OXM has a two-page article entitled "Mass Effect 3: Our Hopes and Fears". Pretty nice little article, and I'll transcribe it when I get home from work, since it's worth reading (and posting) and I know it'll make someone's head possibly explode. :lol:

[quote name='shrike4242']The February 2011 issue of OXM has a two-page article entitled "Mass Effect 3: Our Hopes and Fears". Pretty nice little article, and I'll transcribe it when I get home from work, since it's worth reading (and posting) and I know it'll make someone's head possibly explode. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Got that issue earlier this week. I think they hit the nail on the head with their Do's and Don'ts. I expect a lot of these horrible teases in the next few months. By that, I mean OXM had a red banner on the top of the cover which read "MASS EFFECT 3!" as if it was teasing news like it had for the new X-Men game. *sigh*

[quote name='shrike4242']The February 2011 issue of OXM has a two-page article entitled "Mass Effect 3: Our Hopes and Fears". Pretty nice little article, and I'll transcribe it when I get home from work, since it's worth reading (and posting) and I know it'll make someone's head possibly explode. :lol:[/QUOTE]If all they talk about is adding planetary exploration and fixing the "lack of RPG elements from ME2", then I'm punching someone. Every Mass Effect 3 Wishlist that I have seen has sounded the same, but at least it provides a good basis for discussion :cool:

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']If all they talk about is adding planetary exploration and fixing the "lack of RPG elements from ME2", then I'm punching someone. Every Mass Effect 3 Wishlist that I have seen has sounded the same, but at least it provides a good basis for discussion :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I read the IGN one before, I think I'm going to stop though, I won't be let down by Bioware, they should bring on any changes they see fit.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']If all they talk about is adding planetary exploration and fixing the "lack of RPG elements from ME2", then I'm punching someone.[/QUOTE]
Ain't that the truth.

[quote name='My Mas Efectz Wishlist']
1. Moar numberz!!!
2. Mako racing minigame
3. Garrus/Thane romance just like this fan ficton that I rote
[/quote]

Actually, to be serious, I would be in favor of some things like squadmate armor customization similar to Shepard's in ME2, or a little more exposure of mechanical elements like the numerical attack and accuracy values of various weapons. I don't want to have to sort through 96 copies of the same ammo upgrade in my inventory, or have my sniper scope bounce around the fucking screen like Shepard has Parkinson's because I failed to put enough points into the right stat.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']If all they talk about is adding planetary exploration and fixing the "lack of RPG elements from ME2", then I'm punching someone. Every Mass Effect 3 Wishlist that I have seen has sounded the same, but at least it provides a good basis for discussion :cool:[/QUOTE]I think you'll have things on the list you'll agree with, things on the list you won't agree with, and a couple of things to make your head explode. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']I think you'll have things on the list you'll agree with, things on the list you won't agree with, and a couple of things to make your head explode. ;)[/QUOTE]

Was changing the leveling structure/exp rates back to ME 1 style? :D

It's not that I didn't like ME 2s, I jsut got mroe replayability out of ME 1s. :)

As promised, from Feb 2011 OXM:

Mass Effect 3 - Our Hopes and Fears

Before the battle for Earth begins, we rattle off our highest expectations and biggest worries for the final chatper in the Mass Effect trilogy.

(picture of Garrus, male Shepard and Ashley)

Anderson feeds a Turian his forehead in the first game, and Shepard goes head-to-head with a Krogan in ME2. Mass Effect 2 better have an epic headbutt.

Five Things That Must Happen:

1. Return Of The Rachni - We saved the Rachni queen in Mass Effect - we're not pro-genocide, no sir. They've got to come back and save the galaxy, right?

2. Cure The Genophage - The disease nearly guarantees a Krogan extinction - we want to help our favorite grumpy frog-dino race survive so they can kick everyone else's asses.

3. Geth / Quarian Alliance - The Quarians are gonna have to suck it up and team up with their self-aware A.I. creations for the greater good.

4. Keepers As The Key - These mantis-lookin' dudes are integral when it comes to killing the Reapers. How so? We don't know. Let's find out.

5. Udina's Horrible, Brutal Death - We desperately want to shoot this jerkwad in the face. Now.

Hope - Cooperative Campaign:
Sure, this is Shepard's story, but we've always got squadmates by our side, combat or no. Mass Effect 3 should take a cue from Bioware's upcoming MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic - give us co-op conversations and independent exploration. We want our friends to play Good Cop, Bad Cop and Badder Cop with Shepard, Garrus and Grunt.

Fear - Competitive Multiplayer:
Chucking our pals off of ledges with Biotics? Hacking A.I. to take out online opponents? As awesome as it sounds, that's not something we care to play in Mass Effect 3. BioWare's stellar single-player stories are what keep us hooked. Taking time away from that - especially in the final chapter - for some deathmatch? No thanks. We're fans of "less talk, more rock" philosophy when it comes to radio stations, but that's not what we want in the Mass Effect finale.

Hope - Familiar Faces:
Legion one of our favorite characters ever, came into the picture too late for someone with so much untapped potential. Same goes for DLC darling Kasumi. We want to learn more about the Good Guy Geth and the sexy thief than ME2 allowed. We're also pining for the return of old favorites, Wrex and Garrus. Most of all, though, we demand to melt alien faces alongside Mass Effect's toughest old-timer: David Anderson.

Fear - More Mining And Driving:
Driving the Mako is easily the worst part of the first Mass Effect, while scanning money-making rocks kills the sequel's otherwise stellar pace. Dearest development team, please cut this crap altogether. We just wanna chitchat, shoot guns, and punch nosy reporters in the mouth. Please don't give us homework.

Hope - Strong Relationships:
Mass Effect gets points for having the best romantic relationships in games, but let's get real here: impressing crew-members just to get into their pants isn't a relationship - it's a sexual conquest. The imminent end of the universe and other characters' reactions would affect how you and your loved one interact, too, for better or worse. We want to struggle rather than simply score.

Fear - Stupid Boss Fights:
Mass Effect 2 has one of the most amazing, unforgettable finales in any game we've played. Despite the unexpected (potential) deaths of any and all teammates, it's sullied by a laughable final boss fight that's utterly beneath Bioware. Shooting the glowing weak points on a gigantic Terminator robot was a hokey and weak end to an incredible suicide mission. We much preferred the grueling fight against a zombified Saren Arterius in the first Mass Effect - better still, let's scrap these traditional boss fights outright in ME3.

Hope - The Little Things:
When your virtual friends are dying in nuclear blasts, it's easy to forget the small details. Step back a bit and the really fun stuff starts standing out. Swilling space booze with Doc Chakwas, discovering the number of testicles on a Krogan, and dealing with obsessive spectre fanboys are still some of our favorite moments. Keep your fingers crossed that ME3 isn't too absorbed in the alien apocalypse to ignore these more subtle poignant and hilarious moments.

Fear - Ammo Shmammo:
This is the future, man - why are we still relying on bullets? Also, why does the "future" of Mass Effect 2 have greater limitations than that of the energy-based weapons in its predecessor? We hated scavenging for ammo after a big firefight. Bring back those blasters that overheat if we don't use them strategically. They're less of a hassle and keep us focused on the mission.

Hope - The Big Things:
The Mexican standoff with Wrex, the uplifting Spectre ceremony, and convincing the villain to blow his brains out - these standout situations are what give the first Mass Effect a slight edge over its sequel's story. It contained so many huge, epic scenes with unpredictable outcomes and strong emotional resonance. ME2 shipped out these sorts of highlights - insane introduction aside - in favor of amplifying the action elsewhere. We want ME3 to bring the shivers, screams and tears.

(picture of Mordin and Liara)

Wanted: A downloadable flashback to the Skyllian Blitz instead of post-finale shenanigans.

^^^^
I do hope those wishes come true. Thats what i want lol.

So just finished Mass Effect 2......Yeah definitely at the top of my list for 2010. The Boss fight was lame but everything else was astonishing. now spoiler so who ever hasnt played can't see it....
I wish i didn't dick around when the collector's captured the crew. Could have save Yeoman Kelly lol.

now i really see why you guys love this game.

The article's actually not half bad-- only thing I strongly disagree with is the ammo comment, ME2's system is better, continuity be damned. :)

And while I didn't have too much of a problem with the final boss of the game proper, the end boss of Lair of the Shadow Broker was way more epic, so BioWare seems to be going in the right direction.

[quote name='shrike4242']
Hope - Cooperative Campaign[/QUOTE]As promised...

headexplodes.png

Co-op is not going to happen in a million years, no use wasting time fretting about it. :) This is not Borderlands, where you are solo in single-player, or Gears of War, where the bots with you in single-player are completely independent. Controlling your squad is built into the fabric of basic ME gameplay. Maybe in some future spin-off, but they are not rebuilding the basic gameplay from the ground up for a game releasing later this year.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Co-op is not going to happen in a million years, no use wasting time fretting about it. :) This is not Borderlands, where you are solo in single-player, or Gears of War, where the bots with you in single-player are completely independent. Controlling your squad is built into the fabric of basic ME gameplay. Maybe in some future spin-off, but they are not rebuilding the basic gameplay from the ground up for a game releasing later this year.[/QUOTE]Don't get me wrong, my brain doesn't explode over the idea of them adding it (because I know it's impossible), it's over the fact that someone actually wants that in their game. I can't imagine someone willingly piggybacking off my Shepard as we play, watching me make decisions and living out the consequences. I know I'd never join someone's game to play as any of the squadmates or as "Mercenary X".

I can't wait for this game when it does come out. Very interested in what kind of choices will befall the series when they occur. I don't think adding co-op will make the game any better than it already is. But this is BioWare, and they haven't done anything wrong, thus far.

[quote name='shrike4242']As promised, from Feb 2011 OXM:
Hope - The Big Things:
The Mexican standoff with Wrex, the uplifting Spectre ceremony, and convincing the villain to blow his brains out - these standout situations are what give the first Mass Effect a slight edge over its sequel's story. It contained so many huge, epic scenes with unpredictable outcomes and strong emotional resonance. ME2 shipped out these sorts of highlights - insane introduction aside - in favor of amplifying the action elsewhere. We want ME3 to bring the shivers, screams and tears.[/QUOTE]

See this is what happens when you have sequels to original ideas in either games or movies. You become desensitized towards anything that rocks your world because you're expecting it to rock your world with the first movie/game being so good.

Matrix movies cough

That said I was rocked by the Shadow Broker and yeah the time you explore a Collector ship from the inside and see football field amounts of space for future abductions.

I'll join the "longest year of my life" brigade :D

I figure around late summer I'll play through ME1-ME2 again. Just did recently, not 100% satisfied with my character though. (Missed some little ME1 things)

However, I hate to say it but I don't really want to slog through ME1 again. I love the story, but don't want to run around the Citadel, go up and down elevators, and go dune-buggying in a Mako.

Think I could get away with skipping some ME1 minor quests?

I won't replay the games. I do still need to do Lair of the Shadow Broker on my female, renegade playthrough though.

And I'll play whatever other DLC comes out between now and then, assuming they really put one out and aren't just being vague to keep suckers like me who won't replay the game again from selling it!

[quote name='Lparsons7641']I'll join the "longest year of my life" brigade :D

I figure around late summer I'll play through ME1-ME2 again. Just did recently, not 100% satisfied with my character though. (Missed some little ME1 things)[/QUOTE]Even though I probably don't need to, I started replaying my major characters in ME1 - getting them to level 60 from scratch and prepping them for another ME2 run through. So far I've beaten ME1 3 times since late December/New Years, and I still have a lot more playthroughs to go on 360 and PC. Everything must be perfect for ME3, as far as I'm concerned :cool:

[quote name='Amblix']They did say multiplayer will be present in ME 3 when it was announced wasn't it?

I hope it's co-op over competitive.[/QUOTE]

Nothing has been confirmed. Personally, I hope they keep multiplayer out entirely. If they throw it in, make it something seperate from Shepard and his crew, maybe an Alliance squad fighting on Earth or something. It would be such a disconnect, especially in the finale of the series, to have some dickbutt jump into my game and start to control Garrus.

[quote name='Arikado']Nothing has been confirmed. Personally, I hope they keep multiplayer out entirely. If they throw it in, make it something seperate from Shepard and his crew, maybe an Alliance squad fighting on Earth or something. It would be such a disconnect, especially in the finale of the series, to have some dickbutt jump into my game and start to control Garrus.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like...it wouldn't make sense at all.

[quote name='Arikado']Nothing has been confirmed. Personally, I hope they keep multiplayer out entirely. If they throw it in, make it something seperate from Shepard and his crew, maybe an Alliance squad fighting on Earth or something. It would be such a disconnect, especially in the finale of the series, to have some dickbutt jump into my game and start to control Garrus.[/QUOTE]

Good point, a constant tug of war battle on Earth seems like a good online battlefield. If this was indeed separate from the single player I'd accept it. Using mass effects while shooting people online sounds incredibly awesome to me. However that said I hope it doesn't detract from the single player quality. Knowing Bioware though I highly doubt that will be the case.

Ran across this link on the Bioware forums, via the Mass Effect Wikia site:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/4589520&lf=8

[quote name='Bioware forum post']Hi Folks

We are looking for ideas of what you want to see in an uber-collector's edition for Mass Effect 3. Now, by "uber" I don't mean the sort of usual collector's edition with maybe an art book, soundtrack, DLC items, etc. I am looking for ideas for a super-exclusive (and likely rather pricey) super edition item that would be for the hardest of hard core collectors.

Recently there was a Collector's Edition of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 that came with a set of working night vision goggles. That is the sort of idea I am looking for here. If you can suggest other "uber" editions from other game companys or what you would like to see, we are looking for ideas.

For example, my idea is to have a desktop replica of the Normandy done to scale that would come with a section of the roof you could lift off and see a light up galaxy map inside.

So let us know your ideas. Don't worry about things like "how would you ship them" or "the cost would be too high" or whatever. Throw out your ideas and we'll see what the Dev team does with them.
smile.png
[/quote]

Garrus' visor, here we come?

Wikia site thread talking about ME3:
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_3

[quote name='Amblix']Whatever it is I'm getting it.

Hopefully they don't go batshit crazy on production of it ala Halo Reach.[/QUOTE]That all depends on what they have in mind for a pricetag.

FYI if you watch any of the bonus features from ME 1 they said from the beginning this was going to be a trilogy so yes that was the plan from the get go.

It's so interesting to see the 2005 and 2006 videos and compare them to what Mass Effect 1 became. They're on the PH version of ME 1 if you ever want to see them.

[quote name='Amblix']Whatever it is I'm getting it.

Hopefully they don't go batshit crazy on production of it ala Halo Reach.[/QUOTE]

I'll buy two sight unseen. I'm a certifiable whore for CE's and ME is my favorite series.

At first I was going to say oh no the Night Vision Goggles thing is spreading but damn it I would love a desktop Normandy! I'm suck a sucker.

Edit: Oh by the way, I recently looked over the Mass Effect 2 page on IMDB to confirm the voice actress I had heard somewheres else and say a good discussion about Aria. Aria as a possible squad mate in ME3, hmm I like it and def would get some good convos going between your squad. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys think about this as a potential banner image change (instead of the current one with Shepard gazing out the deck down at Earth):
attackz.png

?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think I prefer the current image of Shepard over Earth. That's a cool picture though; where is that from?[/QUOTE]Half DeviantArt, half me :D

Holy shit my favorite film scorer Clint Mansell(Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Black Swan, Moon, etc.) is scoring this game. I am now totally already excited about this game!

[quote name='Necrozilla']C.G.I. trailers lol Fool me once...[/QUOTE]What's wrong with the occasional CGI trailer? Even ME2 had a few, but after everything was said and done they still had like a 10:1 ratio of in-game cinematics used in trailers versus complete CGI.

[quote name='dastly75']Holy shit my favorite film scorer Clint Mansell(Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Black Swan, Moon, etc.) is scoring this game. I am now totally already excited about this game![/QUOTE]

But what about Jack Wall!!! :cry: He did such an great job on the score on the first two games..

X just keep the Shepard pick on the OP.

[quote name='dastly75']Holy shit my favorite film scorer Clint Mansell(Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Black Swan, Moon, etc.) is scoring this game. I am now totally already excited about this game![/QUOTE]

[quote name='js1']But what about Jack Wall!!! :cry: He did such an great job on the score on the first two games..

X just keep the Shepard pick on the OP.[/QUOTE]

I am excited about the announcement, but I fear Mansell's lack of experience in video games. I hope he can adequately capture the mood of Mass Effect.

bread's done
Back