Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I really don't think that Thane won't be a major character in ME3. He's a love interest for female Shepard, was featured in the promotional CGI movies for ME2-- he's even on the cover art! BioWare didn't go to all that trouble just to drop him unceremoniously in the next game.

With Jacob, it seems clear that BioWare intended for him to be a popular/likable character, but he's failed to resonate with most fans. Still, I don't seem them marginalizing any potential love interests from prior games.[/QUOTE]

The human male LI has never been popular in Bioware games. Carth, Kaidan, Jacob etc. That's because most of us are playing are males, and if our femshep is going to get nasty, it's going to be some alien dude. Part of this is because we're perverted and part of it is because we can't take the emotional implication of placing ourselves in a character's mindset that loves another human male in a sexual way.

[quote name='Anexanhume']The human male LI has never been popular in Bioware games. Carth, Kaidan, Jacob etc. That's because most of us are playing are males, and if our femshep is going to get nasty, it's going to be some alien dude. Part of this is because we're perverted and part of it is because we can't take the emotional implication of placing ourselves in a character's mindset that loves another human male in a sexual way.[/QUOTE]
I know that's true for me. I enjoy role-playing as a woman, sometimes moreso than as a guy, but a romantic relationship with a man, even within that context, is not something I'm interested in. My fem Shepards generally go for Liara or stay foreveralone.jpg.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Also, does anyone else really believe the reports of
the new "Heavy Melee" class? I feel like that has to be a mistranslation, or the Spanish magazine was just wrong. I just can't imagine BioWare throwing a whole new class into the mix at this point-- especially one based entirely around melee attacks, which doesn't make much sense in a third person shooter. I think it's got to be referring to new melee abilities either for the Soldier, or that possibly aren't class-specific at all.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shrike4242']
About the
Heavy Melee class, it makes no sense. The Vanguard is the close-combat class in ME2, and I can't see how this "Heavy Melee" class would be anything different. Unless it's a copycat of the Vanguard, anyone with the need to get to melee distance without doing it in the blink of an eye would get destroyed.
[/QUOTE]

Nope.
According to Bioware's own Christina Norman on Twitter. "A few people asking me about a new "heavy melee class". No new classes. All classes have improved melee and a class-specific heavy melee."

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Nope.
According to Bioware's own Christina Norman on Twitter. "A few people asking me about a new "heavy melee class". No new classes. All classes have improved melee and a class-specific heavy melee."
[/QUOTE]That makes a lot more sense than what's been brought up on that Spanish site.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Called it. ;)[/QUOTE]Gold star for you, then. :applause:

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Seriously, it's going to be impossible to stay dark on this game. I should just give up.[/QUOTE]I saw no point in it, since I knew it was going to be one of the biggest games of 2011.

I'm sure Tha X and Arikado can make you some space in their bunker, if you need to go dark.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Seriously, it's going to be impossible to stay dark on this game. I should just give up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I give up. Bring on the info!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Garrus looking like a boss in ME3.[/QUOTE]

That artwork design of Garrus looks pretty badass, all of this news about Mass Effect 3 is making me want to play through Mass Effect 2 again

I tried to stay in the dark for about a week after the GaneInformer article and caved after that. I think all I need to not be spoiled about is the end and I'll be very, very happy.

[quote name='Spybreak8']OMG I thought this was part of a pre-order bonus for Mass Effect 3 lol. Super cool though.
Mass Effect's Normandy SR2 Model Display
I want it but I don't have room on my gaming/computer/sat modem/router desk.[/QUOTE]

I think this belongs in the ME3 thread, given what's actually on the ship now. I looked at this earlier and was bummed since it does seem to be a little spoilerish. Still trying hard to go in as blind as possible for ME3 (although if there's an E3 trailer, I doubt I'll be able to help myself).

This was also on that product's page earlier today, but was taken down later in the evening:
"We join the legions of gamers and graphic-story fans who've been anticipating the October release of the new Mass Effect game."

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So they announced a CE or anything yet?[/QUOTE]Nope, not yet. ME2's CE was announced a few months before release, so we probably won't see anything until Q4 of this year.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nooooo!

Though as Miyamoto says: delays are temporary, a bad game is forever.[/QUOTE]I'd rather have them delay it into Q1 2012 than rush it into Q4 2011 and have it need polish. Q4 is a hard release time for games, as we all know.

Q1 2010 release for ME2 didn't hurt it one bit with some of the games that came out in Q4 2009 that would have been competition.

Do I want my ME3 already? Of course, though they need to take their time and make it shine than the buggy mess other titles have been recently (FO: NV, DA2).

I don't mind the delay really. I care more that they make the game as good as possible, and this will let me focus on other fall games like Gears 3 anyway without ME sucking up all my gaming time. :D

Gee sorry, didn't think that link I posted had any spoilers, my bad. As for the delay, thank god, I mean really this year's holiday schedule would be very tight if ME3 came out along with everything else. I kind of like Q1, that's when I have gift cards and money from Christmas lol.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Gee sorry, didn't think that link I posted had any spoilers, my bad. As for the delay, thank god, I mean really this year's holiday schedule would be very tight if ME3 came out along with everything else. I kind of like Q1, that's when I have gift cards and money from Christmas lol.[/QUOTE]

Lol I always get a laugh when people seem happy that we will have LESS games to play. You realize that it is only May, and a score of more delays are bound to follow? I wouldnt' be surprised if the only two AAA titles after Sept are Gears and the latest COD game. Q1 also means we will be waiting for a whole year from now.

nooooo.jpg

[quote name='Anexanhume']Now skyrim and ME3 don't have to compete for my attention.[/QUOTE]

You, sir, make a very good point.:applause:

Looks like Gears 3 will rule my late 2011 gaming landscape uncontested.

Unless Final Fantasy XIII-2 actually comes out this year.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Lol I always get a laugh when people seem happy that we will have LESS games to play. You realize that it is only May, and a score of more delays are bound to follow? I wouldnt' be surprised if the only two AAA titles after Sept are Gears and the latest COD game. Q1 also means we will be waiting for a whole year from now.[/QUOTE]

It just depends on how much gaming time/interest you have.

I get 5-10 hours a week in tops on average so Gears and the latest CoD would keep me busy for a good while.

For instance, all I played from last fall to present off the top of my head are: Halo Reach, CoD Black Ops (still playing online), Dragon Age Ultimate and a couple XBLA games (X-men, Limbo and playing Outland now).

So basically I just need 5-7 games a year to play so I have no problems just getting a couple games per quarter that interest me.

Others are hardcore gamers and burn through more games and delays can suck and leave them with gaps where there's nothing new they're really stocked to play. So again, it just depends on your gaming habits.

I figured that I would post about my progress so far, and also on the topic of today's announcement. The best way that I can go about doing this is to illustrate a few, short pages from The Diary of X :lol:

Enjoy.

[Page 37]

Since 2007, when I first embarked on this journey, I've made my way through the harshest, most unwelcoming terrain, waded through the most violent of storms, hurdled over the deepest pitfalls, and narrowly avoided imminent destruction for longer than anyone thought possible. There's still a long road ahead.

~~~

[Page 48]
Come late 2010. Word of Mass Effect 3 rises out of the wild like the sun on a bright, summer day. Hope is born. The end is near.

~~~

[Page 55]

It's January 2011. T-minus one year and closing. Before me I see a colossal mountain, who's top is illuminated with the most lustrous aura that human eyes have ever seen. There's no doubting what awaits me at the summit of this immense mound of earth - the release of Mass Effect 3. The final challenge has been issued to me: I must scale this gigantic rock to reach my ultimate goal.

~~~

[Page 81]

April, 2011. My progress can best be defined as "slow but steady". Since the beginning of my ascension, I've noticed formations in the mountain that seem to serve as shortcuts to the mountain's peak. I decide against taking these straightforward paths. I've come too far to simply give up in the face of adversity and subject myself to anything less than the high road. There's a handful of slips and stumbles, but nothing worth noting. Just keep climbing; it can't be too much longer now.

~~~

[Page 99]

May 4th, 2011 - 1:00PM CST. As I pause from my pursuit of scaling this grandiose slag of rock, I look at my surroundings and surmise that I must be halfway to the top. Suddenly, as if to counter any sort of inclination I might have that this trek was nearing its completion, disaster strikes in the form of a rock slide. Helplessly I fall back down to the base of the mountain, a mere spec of dust amongst boulders. As I awaken to see the crumbling pile of rock around me I look upwards towards the mountain, who's scale has increased amongst the chaos that I had just survived. It looks back at me with the most threatening of glares, as if it were laughing at my pathetic attempt to overtake it. Though any normal man would have been buried within that avalanche of rock, I feel stronger inside. Eagerness and anticipation will not become me. With conviction and resolution flowing through my veins, I accept the mountain's challenge and embark on my upwards journey once more. Nothing can stop me now.

*scribbled at the bottom of the page*
Just. one. more. year.

*disappears back into the shadows*

:cool:

[quote name='dmaul1114']It just depends on how much gaming time/interest you have.

I get 5-10 hours a week in tops on average so Gears and the latest CoD would keep me busy for a good while.

For instance, all I played from last fall to present off the top of my head are: Halo Reach, CoD Black Ops (still playing online), Dragon Age Ultimate and a couple XBLA games (X-men, Limbo and playing Outland now).

So basically I just need 5-7 games a year to play so I have no problems just getting a couple games per quarter that interest me.

Others are hardcore gamers and burn through more games and delays can suck and leave them with gaps where there's nothing new they're really stocked to play. So again, it just depends on your gaming habits.[/QUOTE]

Well I have an insane backlog, but I can certainly choose not to buy any more games this year regardless if they are released or not. It's still a big lose for 2011 to have lots of delays.

Yeah, I guess. I just don't care. As long as I always have something I want to play, I don't care much about delays or whether one certain year was good year for gaming etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I guess. I just don't care. As long as I always have something I want to play, I don't care much about delays or whether one certain year was good year for gaming etc.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Not like there's anything I can do to force them to put the game out sooner. I'll play the games that're available and not lament the ones that aren't.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Looks like Gears 3 will rule my late 2011 gaming landscape uncontested.

Unless Final Fantasy XIII-2 actually comes out this year.[/QUOTE]

In Japan it will. Q1 for NA/EU. Just like FFXIII. I expect the same qualitative differences between the PS3 and 360 versions again.

I think this got delayed for 2 reasons:
#1 - EA is going to push Battlefield 3 insanely hard against Modern Warfare 3
#2 - POSSIBLE Wii 2 release

Sure, I'm bummed, but I want a perfect game, so take the time to do it right. That's what I say.

Gives me more time to replay ME1 and ME2. Maybe I'll finally get my insanity run done!

Oh God.

Mass Effect 3 tweaked for "larger market"

"One of the things that Ray Muzyuka and the team up in Edmonton have done is essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG," he said, "and essentially address a much larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 began to approach.

Cue the cries of "sell out," "dumbed down," and "where's my RPG". This might get ugly.

Dudes in the Eurogamer comments are already cancelling their preorders. :lol:

How can it be "tweaked for 'larger market'" when they've already said they're expanding some of the RPG elements that were thinned out for ME2? :whistle2:s

ME2 was already "tweaked" for a larger market when they made it more "you got your RPG in my shooter" than the "you got your shooter in my RPG" they had with ME1.

I certainly hope we don't get "Call of Mass Effect 3" or "Mass Effect 3 of Duty", though I can't imagine Bioware would shoot themselves in the foot that much after all the praise and awards ME2 picked up.

I think whatever they demo at E3 will be something to watch closely.

[quote name='shrike4242']I can't imagine Bioware would shoot themselves in the foot that much
.[/QUOTE]

See Dragon Age 2 for said foot shooting.

Hopefully they're just tweaking the shooting mechanics to make it a better shooter and not "dumbing down" the RPG elements any more. ME2 was about as dumbed-down as it gets.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']See Dragon Age 2 for said foot shooting.[/QUOTE]
If by "shooting in the foot" you mean "a flawed yet awesome game with many significant improvements from Origins" then... yeah. ;)

Well, if not on the Dragon Age series, at least all of us here can probably agree that Mass Effect 2 was both more accessible and more awesome than ME1, so I think BioWare deserves a little blind faith here, despite all the sky-is-falling talk that is sure to dominate the internet in short order.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']If by "shooting in the foot" you mean "a flawed yet awesome game with many significant improvements from Origins" then... yeah. ;)

Well, if not on the Dragon Age series, at least all of us here can probably agree that Mass Effect 2 was both more accessible and more awesome than ME1, so I think BioWare deserves a little blind faith here, despite all the sky-is-falling talk that is sure to dominate the internet in short order.[/QUOTE]

I will agree to disagree with you on DAII being better then DA:O.

Anyway onto Mass Effect. Yeah ME2 was incredible, only thing I didn't like was lack of ability to mess with armor for everyone on the squad. Still I think ME3 should be amazing and will have it pre-ordered soon as a CE is announced.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']See Dragon Age 2 for said foot shooting.[/QUOTE]So I've been told, which is why I'm not touching it until I get through DA1, DA: A and the DLC. That'll be a while at the rate I'm playing it, so they should have it all patched up by then.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']If by "shooting in the foot" you mean "a flawed yet awesome game with many significant improvements from Origins" then... yeah. ;)

Well, if not on the Dragon Age series, at least all of us here can probably agree that Mass Effect 2 was both more accessible and more awesome than ME1, so I think BioWare deserves a little blind faith here, despite all the sky-is-falling talk that is sure to dominate the internet in short order.[/QUOTE]I assumed I'd get a counterpoint view from Hell Monkey when you'd comment about DA2. :lol:

From what I've read, without any first-hand playing of said game, it seems like it would be better if they didn't seem to rush it out the door and had more time to bug-fix and polish it.

Yes, ME2 is more accessible than ME1. No question there. Did they trim some items out of it that I liked in the first game? Yes. Was it a huge issue? No.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I will agree to disagree with you on DAII being better then DA:O.

Anyway onto Mass Effect. Yeah ME2 was incredible, only thing I didn't like was lack of ability to mess with armor for everyone on the squad. Still I think ME3 should be amazing and will have it pre-ordered soon as a CE is announced.[/QUOTE]From what we've seen so far, assuming it doesn't change in the meantime, it looks like we'll get a nice fusion between the customizations from ME1 and the faster gameplay of ME2.

Unless they turn it into a multiplayer mess, it's a day 1 purchase for me with whatever CE they toss out there.

I'm perfectly fine if ME3 ends up even more shooter than RPG than ME2 personally. :D

My ideal game (not saying ME3 should be this, just what my ideal game would be) would basically be Gears of War gameplay with the questing, exploration, story and length of a WRPG.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Oh God.

Mass Effect 3 tweaked for "larger market"

Cue the cries of "sell out," "dumbed down," and "where's my RPG". This might get ugly.

Dudes in the Eurogamer comments are already cancelling their preorders. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The important quote to get is who was speaking, and who was being talked to.

"Speaking during an investor Q&A today, Riccitiello explained that Mass Effect 3 will boast greater mass appeal than its two predecessors. "

When a CEO is talking to investors he is telling them what they want to hear does not mean anything beyond what we already heard is being changed.

[quote name='spid']When a CEO is talking to investors he is telling them what they want to hear does not mean anything beyond what we already heard is being changed.[/QUOTE]
Yup, and the people who are actually in a position to talk about gameplay, Casey Hudson and Christina Norman, have talked about increasing the amount of skill customization and stat crunching from ME2. I have no doubt there will be elements of the game that hardcore RPGers won't welcome, but all this "Gears Effect of Duty" talk is just silly.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm perfectly fine if ME3 ends up even more shooter than RPG than ME2 personally. :D

My ideal game (not saying ME3 should be this, just what my ideal game would be) would basically be Gears of War gameplay with the questing, exploration, story and length of a WRPG.[/QUOTE]No surprise with that opinion from you. :D

You might get your wish, you might not. Come back in Q1 2012.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yup, and the people who are actually in a position to talk about gameplay, Casey Hudson and Christina Norman, have talked about increasing the amount of skill customization and stat crunching from ME2. I have no doubt there will be elements of the game that hardcore RPGers won't welcome, but all this "Gears Effect of Duty" talk is just silly.[/QUOTE]I would take any information from those two to be far closer to the gospel truth than anything higher-level management have to say about ME3's direction.

I'm still thinking that we'll get the nice middleground in ME3 that we're all looking for as a nice compromise between ME1 and ME2.

Maybe they'll listen to Tha X and make the femShep the default option instead of Sheploo. :rofl:

[quote name='shrike4242']No surprise with that opinion from you. :D

You might get your wish, you might not. Come back in Q1 2012.
[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm sure I'll love ME3 regardless.

And I wouldn't want to see it turn into my "ideal game" as that would alienate too much of the existing fanbase. That's just a game idea I hope some developer takes up in a new game down the road.

bread's done
Back