Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

I still haven't played Overlord, the CAG in me is still waiting for it to go on sale again since it hasn't since I got ME2. I loved LotSB though, that's probably my favorite DLC of any game ever. And Firewalker just flat out sucked.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']I still haven't played Overlord, the CAG in me is still waiting for it to go on sale again since it hasn't since I got ME2. I loved LotSB though, that's probably my favorite DLC of any game ever. And Firewalker just flat out sucked.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Overlord (along with Kasumi and LOTSB) went on sale last year around Christmas time. I remember being pissed because the week before I bought a points card to get Kasumi and LOTSB and paid full price for those downloads then found out 2 days later they were going on sale. Thankfully, I had enough points leftover to snag Overlord when it went on sale.

On the BioWare site it actually says that only the Defender armor and the Valkyrie rifle are exclusive to Gamestop; all preorders will include the M55 Argus rifle (second one in the video).

Personally, I used to be real keen on getting all of the exclusive preorder bonuses for games (paid through the nose on eBay for some of that ME2 stuff :lol:), but Dragon Age II was so choked with dozens of exclusive bonuses from so many different places, I kind of made my peace with not catching 'em all. :)

The thing that really kills me about this is once again fuckin EA is gonna make us enter a code for some online pass (ME2's Cerberus Network). And that code is usually only good for one console use... Unless we can save it to the cloud, anybody know if that's possible?

And so the pre-release insanity begins. I have it preordered at gamestop, so I'm covered there. I just hope the other retailers don't have awesome exclusives cuz that'll get expensive. I sell retailer exclusive dlc.....rarely buy it.

I'm surprised they haven't announced a Facebook game or an ios / android app tie-in. Maybe a galaxy at war app is still coming.

I already have the CE preordered at Gamestop. Do I need to do anything in order to make sure I get these bonuses or are they only for the standard edition?

If nothing else pops up for Amazon, I may actually switch my pre-order. However, I've heard so many horror stories about gamestop not having sufficient quantities, I"m inclined to stay with Amazon.

I preordered at Best Buy when they briefly had the CE for $69.99, so hopefully they get something too. From the FAQ on BioWare's site it sounded like there is more to announce but the Gamestop bonuses leaked so they had to confirm them early.

hopefully Best Buy won't blow Gamestop's offer out of the water...I'd hate to have pay a fortune for the code on eBay after release since there's no Best Buy around me.

Guess I need to pre-order a non-CE at Gamestop to make sure I can get their pre-order bonus as well as the Amazon pre-order bonus. I have a CE pre-ordered at Amazon currently.

I doubt Best Buy's pre-order bonus will be better than either Amazon or GS.

They should have custom BioWare-themed skin packs for Tali's face. Like, preorder from Amazon and you get Merrill, preorder from Best Buy and you get Mission Vao, preorder from Gamestop and you get Amy Rose.

Just sayin'

I think that would be a little odd to have Tali open up her helmet and see Merrill's face, Dalish tattoos and all, staring back at you. :shock:

[quote name='GamerDude316']I already have the CE preordered at Gamestop. Do I need to do anything in order to make sure I get these bonuses or are they only for the standard edition?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing, I'd be pissed if it was only for the standard edition.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']I'm wondering the same thing, I'd be pissed if it was only for the standard edition.[/QUOTE]Pre-order bonuses are the same between the CE and non-CE.

FYI the 360 CE can no longer be preordered in-store at Gamestop. It's still available online but that will likely expire within the week. PS3 and PC CE are still available both in-store and online.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think that would be a little odd to have Tali open up her helmet and see Merrill's face, Dalish tattoos and all, staring back at you. :shock:[/QUOTE]
Not if Rannoch is really Thedas in the far future. Plot twist!!

New comic series coming in April, titled Mass Effect: Homeworlds.

Thanks to previous mini-series, Mass Effect fans have been able to learn more about characters like The Illusive Man and Aria T'Loak. Now the fauxhawked soldier who'll be running alongside your Commander Shepard gets the spotlight in the first issue of the new Mass Effect: Homeworlds series. You can take an exclusive look at issue one's covers in the images above. Written by Mass Effect 3 lead writer Mac Walters, each installment of Homeworlds will focus on one of the main characters of the game. You can look for Mass Effect: Homeworlds to hit comics shops and digital storefronts this April.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI the 360 CE can no longer be preordered in-store at Gamestop. It's still available online but that will likely expire within the week. PS3 and PC CE are still available both in-store and online.[/QUOTE]

Well that makes me glad I took care of mine before. I thought about Amazon but the GS in my town is likely to do a midnight release and I want the game at 12:01 on release!

[quote name='Arikado']New comic series coming in April, titled Mass Effect: Homeworlds.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, Arikado! I eat up any little morsel of fiction I can get related to the ME universe! Even if it stinks like the latest comic series featuring Aria. That short one-shot featuring Vega was pretty cool.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI the 360 CE can no longer be preordered in-store at Gamestop. It's still available online but that will likely expire within the week. PS3 and PC CE are still available both in-store and online.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the head's up.

Any other words about the pre-order bonuses that GS will have versus other retailers?

[quote name='shrike4242']Thanks for the head's up.

Any other words about the pre-order bonuses that GS will have versus other retailers?[/QUOTE]

This is from BSN:

Initially this information was going to be coming a little later, but since some retailers began to update their websites this past weekend, we wanted to get you as much information, not to mention the cool new videos and screenshots as soon as possible. We will be providing a more thourough list of retailers, including retailers outside North America, as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

It sounds like Amazon, Best Buy, etc. will have their own retailer exclusives, but BioWare isn't ready to confirm them yet (and wasn't ready to confirm Gamestop's either until an early leak forced them to).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This is from BSN:

Initially this information was going to be coming a little later, but since some retailers began to update their websites this past weekend, we wanted to get you as much information, not to mention the cool new videos and screenshots as soon as possible. We will be providing a more thourough list of retailers, including retailers outside North America, as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.
It sounds like Amazon, Best Buy, etc. will have their own retailer exclusives, but BioWare isn't ready to confirm them yet (and wasn't ready to confirm Gamestop's either until an early leak forced them to).[/QUOTE]I ended up pre-ordering from GS as well as Amazon (I pre-order everything from Amazon) to get the GS pre-order items for ME2.

This time around, I may have to pre-order a non-CE from GS as well as my current Amazon pre-order for the CE to pick up their pre-order bonuses. Didn't all of the pre-order items for ME2 that were GS "exclusives" end up being released as an item pack at some point for XBLM points? If so, then I may just not to do a second pre-order and just wait it out to be downloadable.

Yeah Gamestop added the pre-order video to their in-store TV reel yesterday along with shutting off 360 CE preorders in-store.

No idea how varied the in-store bonuses will be, but the Valkyrie Rifle and the Defender Armor have the Gamestop exclusive tag on them so it looks like the Argus rifle may be for every store's preorder, then the other bonuses vary by retailer.

The Gamestop exclusives from ME 2 were part of one of the items pack pay DLC's.

[quote name='shrike4242']Didn't all of the pre-order items for ME2 that were GS "exclusives" end up being released as an item pack at some point for XBLM points?[/QUOTE]
Actually, no. The Inferno Armor that was Amazon's exclusive bonus was made available in an item pack, but the Terminus Armor and Blackstorm heavy weapon from Gamestop were not. I'm not sure if they were included in the PS3 port.

ETA: Just checked the wiki, the Terminus and Blackstorm are DLC on PSN but not on XBLM.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Actually, no. The Inferno Armor that was Amazon's exclusive bonus was made available in an item pack, but the Terminus Armor and Blackstorm heavy weapon from Gamestop were not. I'm not sure if they were included in the PS3 port.

ETA: Just checked the wiki, the Terminus and Blackstorm are DLC on PSN but not on XBLM.[/QUOTE]

Ah my mistake. I saw it as a free PSN download last year and assumed it was part of one of the item packs on 360 also.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah Gamestop added the pre-order video to their in-store TV reel yesterday along with shutting off 360 CE preorders in-store.

No idea how varied the in-store bonuses will be, but the Valkyrie Rifle and the Defender Armor have the Gamestop exclusive tag on them so it looks like the Argus rifle may be for every store's preorder, then the other bonuses vary by retailer.

The Gamestop exclusives from ME 2 were part of one of the items pack pay DLC's.[/QUOTE]Guess it'll be a ME3 pre-order then. :roll:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Actually, no. The Inferno Armor that was Amazon's exclusive bonus was made available in an item pack, but the Terminus Armor and Blackstorm heavy weapon from Gamestop were not. I'm not sure if they were included in the PS3 port.

ETA: Just checked the wiki, the Terminus and Blackstorm are DLC on PSN but not on XBLM.[/QUOTE]I thought they did end up on XBLM, though I guess not. I know I used the Blackstorm from time to time in ME2, so I guess it was good that I pre-ordered @ GS.

came to the ME1/2 party pretty late so I have a question

were the pre-order guns/armor good or was it a collector/completionist thing that makes you guys "need" all the pre-order items, I'm just curious

[quote name='theredworm']came to the ME1/2 party pretty late so I have a question

were the pre-order guns/armor good or was it a collector/completionist thing that makes you guys "need" all the pre-order items, I'm just curious[/QUOTE]
Mostly a collector/completionist thing. :D Some of the preorder bonus items are interesting but they're not radically different from what's in the base game. Now some of the paid DLC guns that were introduced later do outclass the regular stuff (Locust, Mattock, Kestrel armor).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Mostly a collector/completionist thing. :D Some of the preorder bonus items are interesting but they're not radically different from what's in the base game. Now some of the paid DLC guns that were introduced later do outclass the regular stuff (Locust, Mattock, Kestrel armor).[/QUOTE]

good to hear, I don't like to give gamestop my business unless it's for a pre-order bonus that is worthwhile

[quote name='theredworm']came to the ME1/2 party pretty late so I have a question

were the pre-order guns/armor good or was it a collector/completionist thing that makes you guys "need" all the pre-order items, I'm just curious[/QUOTE]

yeah I'd say its a completionist thing too. I already have my preorder locked at GS so I wasnt planning on switching anyway (I dont like GS much either but they'll have a midnight release in my town and I'm not waiting an extra second if I dont have to), so the bonuses are nice but hardly a dealbreaker.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Mostly a collector/completionist thing. :D Some of the preorder bonus items are interesting but they're not radically different from what's in the base game. Now some of the paid DLC guns that were introduced later do outclass the regular stuff (Locust, Mattock, Kestrel armor).[/QUOTE]Out of the pre-order items, I think the only thing I actually used was the Blackstorm. Initially, I may have used the Terminus armor and the Inferno armor for ME2, though by the time you make it through a few levels and buy some upgrades, the basic armor + upgrades works best.

The Mattock is the best paid gun you can get, IMO, with the Locust right behind it. The Arc Projector was the best free gun you ended up with, IMO.

I used the Terminus armor for an entire Soldier playthrough just because it looks so cool, and I wasn't playing on the higher difficulties so I didn't really need to sweat the stats. I agree that the Arc Projector is the best heavy weapon overall, with the Avalanche, grenade launcher, and Collector laser being situationally very useful.

I really didn't use any of the pre-order DLC or any of the paid DLC weapons/armor just because I didn't think it was needed as the stock stuff is powerful enough. The auto-helmets with the armor killed it for me, too.

I hope we get the 'fire within' armor for getting Battlefield 3 for use in ME3 multi, ala the Blood Dragon armor.

I'm just happy they are showing off what the pre-order weapons and armor can do before hand instead of just what there name is. I could care less about what comes from what retailer, I just want the game.

[quote name='merchie89']just preordered CE on amazon, wish they had the $10 credit....[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot that you could preorder from Amazon... so I just did... thanks!:whee:

[quote name='ratzombie']Maybe we will get lucky again and end up getting all of the Mass Effect 3 pre-order DLC for free. :D[/QUOTE]

Oh god man, that was the best thing ever two years ago.

Anyways, I've had my preorder at Amazon since the day this was announced, shame there's no Amazon exclusive... but the game will be here waiting for me when I get out of work in March!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I read on the bioware forums that the demo may be pushed back to February. Anyone else hear this?[/QUOTE]

No, but I wouldn't be surprised. IMO it seem like even the March 6 date is too soon for the full game to be out. I just hope(& pray) the game isn't a rush job like DA 2..

I jumped on the CE pre-order. I have only bought one other CE at launch and that was Jade Empire, which I hated. So hopefully this goes better.

I also am planning on playing through the first two games main quest line again in preparation. I just started the first one and have gotten to the part where you became a spectre. So far its pretty fun. I actually enjoyed all the equipment the game through at you.

Yea ME1's inventory and equipment customization was pretty cool, but it did get tedious when you had to keep on turning armor and weapons into omni-gel. But in ME2, I feel that they dumbed down the whole customization portion in favor of DLC.... I feel that EA had a hand in this... :censored:

bread's done
Back