Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='GhostShark']Well, I tried to watch the trailer, but then Jennifer Hale showed up and I noped right out of the video. It's so excruciating even after one line.

Since I don't really care about the single player for the demo, how is the Multi-player? Granted there is MP on the demo.[/QUOTE]

Multiplayer doesn't go live until the demo is released to the general public next week.

[quote name='Anexanhume']ExpertZone is a program for retail employees (think best buy, gamestop, etc.).

Training may be for the kinect features?[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much correct. The 'training' is just getting firsthand experience with the game and its features so you'd have an easier time selling it to customers.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Multiplayer doesn't go live until the demo is released to the general public next week.[/QUOTE]MP demo goes live on the 17th for the general populace, though anyone that bought BF3 and redeemed their online pass gets the MP demo on the 14th, the same day as the SP demo.

Major Nelson is going to be giving away codes for the SP demo as part of his "Free Code Friday", if you're following him on Twitter. Coming up in about an hour.

[quote name='shrike4242']MP demo goes live on the 17th for the general populace, though anyone that bought BF3 and redeemed their online pass gets the MP demo on the 14th, the same day as the SP demo.[/QUOTE]

Since the general public gets in on the multiplayer on the 17th, that's when it'll happen for us early demo folk, too. The guys with the BF3 pass get to cut in line.

If you're wondering how I know this, it's because my ExpertZone email explicitly states that we don't get access to multiplayer until the 17th.

Major Nelson's code giveaway is going on now, until 5PM ET / 4PM CT / 2PM PT.

Tweet to @majornelson who your favorite ME character is and why.

[quote name='kennistond']Does anyone know if you get exclusive ME3 gear for playing the demo? If not, I think I'll just wait for the game.[/QUOTE]You get exclusive gear for ME3 from playing the Kingdom of Amalur demo, one for playing it and one for making it all the way through until the end video credits. You get gear for KoA for playing the ME3 demo. It's discussed earlier in the thread.

[quote name='shrike4242']You get exclusive gear for ME3 from playing the Kingdom of Amalur demo, one for playing it and one for making it all the way through until the end video credits. You get gear for KoA for playing the ME3 demo. It's discussed earlier in the thread.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was just making sure.

Sweet, a buddy who works in retail gave me his code. Demo queued for when I get home. Please stop snowing in Illinois so traffic doesn't go to hell!!

My thoughts on the demo SP, multi-player is not available at the moment :

The Earth setup seemed to move way to fast, I hope that it is a bit more extended/fleshed out in the final version.

Seeing the reapers come in and do damage and not be a cut scene was very cool. The music at the end of the level gave me goosebumps.

The female Krogan level was good I loved seeing the ME 1 crew(Wrex, Liara, Garrus) together. It did stink that I could not take Wrex with me.
Some of the things I dislike/unsure about in the demo:
The display on where to go to next. For example in ME 2 when you push the right stick you get the arrow and it points you where you have to go, in ME 3 it would just say protect Krogan and have a square box around it even if you are a floor down and a floating arrow appears on screen and didn't do a good job of directing me to the next floor(not that I truly needed it)

I am not sure about the leveling up system either, that has changed since ME 2 as well. your leveling up branches off after level 2 on each power,ammo, tech, etc. So you don't have to wait until the fourth level to choose between squad ammo or making the ammo stronger.

The graphics and animations are improved which I like but the running animation on Shepard bothered me. He/she just runs to fast and the camera zooms out a bit where as in ME 2 it zoomed in a bit. Maybe it's just an adjustment issue because I'm playing ME 2 right now(again).
Overall, I enjoyed the demo. I will replay it later to check out the kinect features and the new femshep.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']Argh, I'm so jealous of all of you getting the demo early. Guess I have to wait until V-Day.[/QUOTE]Same here. I didn't win it from Major Nelson's Friday Code Contest, so I have to wait it out until next Tuesday.

I remembered that during the Xbox Dashboard beta, someone accidentally posted a Mass Effect 3 beta, that people could play for a couple of hours before it was shut down. Is this beta the same as that one?

everything felt stiff and not fluid but I'm only assuming that the final product will not be like this. Like sticking to walls didn't feel smooth and shoddy to me? otherwise it was ok, not much to go on really, especially knowing the final product will be epic and this was just a half assed schlong tease. sigh. *waits for release*

I played through most of the demo, but didn't want to do too much since I'll be playing the full game next month.

The voice controls are excellent.

I did that facebook app to try and get some avatar gear and so far have just got another demo code. I guess I gotta wait a bit to do it again and try and get some avatar gear.

Demo impressions:

Combat
Combat feels tighter. Powers travel much quicker to the target, heightening the pace of the action. Multiple ability detonations are much more satisfying. Enemies seem smarter and will definitely flank you. The roll + cover system is better implemented and I don't find myself rolling into unwanted places. Didn't see the omniblade melee attack but did see a biotic one. Pretty cool addition to give you options during combat.

Graphics/Cinematics
Slight improvement over ME2. The big change are the cinematics and environment. Opening scene gives you a great sense of scale and the feel that what is going on in the world around you can impact you. Makes it more immersive IMO.

Powers/Leveling up
Similar to ME2, but you get 3 levels of specialization rather than 1. Weapon mods aren't shown in the demo.

Spoiler factor
Not that high actually. The two missions you do have either been talked about or shown, so there's not much to be spoiled if you've seen those.

As far as faces, you see Vega, Ashley or Kaidan, Liara, Anderson, Garrus, Mordin and Wrex.

It's been so long since I've finished ME2, I don't even remember half of my decisions or who died. I wish there was a way to see that. I'll be playing the ME2 DLC this month, though, so hopefully that will refresh my memory. I'm not sure if I'll even bother playing the demo, as it will just make the wait even worse!

[quote name='seanr1221']Get early demo access through Facebook

https://apps.facebook.com/xboxmasseffect/?fb_source=canvas_bkmk_top&count=0[/QUOTE]

Cool, I got the SR-2 Normandy Avatar Item. :bouncy:

Edit: Gah, I'm finally employed now so I can afford the ME3 CE but they're all out of stock for the 360 version. I have it set for Amazon and Buy to alert me if they come back in stock though, unlikely I know. Just pre-ordered with Newegg, weekend deal, now though. I just watched the fem shep, customization armory and interactive storytelling trailers (I've been trying to hold off from any footage of the game); I'm foaming at the mouth! EPIC

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished the demo. Man, it was great. I'm super hyped for the game now and can't wait! The controls were tight, the cover system and rolling were fluid, and the humor was still there. ^^

I just finished the demo with kinect controls enabled and I was impressed. I just have to remember what the names were of the powers. It got a bit hectic at times, with enough practice it will be second nature.

Question.....I vowed to only play the multilayer portion of the demo. To those who played the campaign portion, how spoilerific is it? I mean, I know the opening of the game is revealed, but .... I'm trying to stay true to my goal of not being spoiled in any way. I am weak.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Question.....I vowed to only play the multilayer portion of the demo. To those who played the campaign portion, how spoilerific is it? I mean, I know the opening of the game is revealed, but .... I'm trying to stay true to my goal of not being spoiled in any way. I am weak.[/QUOTE]

Tough to say. If you know what happens in the opening of the game, you'll be okay there. As for the second half of the demo, it's the same
Sur'Kesh
demo that has been shown off countless times at cons. There was a cameo during this portion that I thought was great, but I would have preferred to see it happen in the actual game.

I'd say if you already know the premise of both missions, you won't be too spoiled. I'm a little bummed because little things here and there, like cameos or bits of dialog, won't be brand new to me in the final game, but I don't really heavily regret playing through the demo.

Oh, and the music is fucking phenomenal. As is the sound design.

[quote name='Arikado']Tough to say. If you know what happens in the opening of the game, you'll be okay there. As for the second half of the demo, it's the same
Sur'Kesh
demo that has been shown off countless times at cons. There was a cameo during this portion that I thought was great, but I would have preferred to see it happen in the actual game.

I'd say if you already know the premise of both missions, you won't be too spoiled. I'm a little bummed because little things here and there, like cameos or bits of dialog, won't be brand new to me in the final game, but I don't really heavily regret playing through the demo.

Oh, and the music is fucking phenomenal. As is the sound design.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, bro. That was exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to hear the music.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']The app won't even load for me. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Keep trying. It's probably getting hammered with traffic. I was lucky and got my code on my very first attempt, but I know GhostShark had trouble getting in and getting one. He had to wait a while, but he eventually got in and claimed a code.

[quote name='Arikado']Tough to say. If you know what happens in the opening of the game, you'll be okay there. As for the second half of the demo, it's the same
Sur'Kesh

Oh, and the music is fucking phenomenal. As is the sound design.[/QUOTE]

The way that the reapers' vocalization is worked into the music. Just amazing.

Argh, had to quit halfway through the second mission, Soldier on Hardcore. Did they take out the Veteran difficulty setting? I'll play it again later tonight as a Vanguard... and probably the other classes too. :)

Couple of observations:

- Are the faces somehow less animated and expressive? I might have rose-tinted glasses for ME1 and 2 but I don't remember the faces seeming this... stiff. Maybe I've just been playing too much Final Fantasy.

- Heavy melee attacks are the shit!

- The Kinect integration is surprisingly great. It's natural, the recognition is good (although I was having problems between "switch to shotgun" and "switch to submachine gun"), and it actually does turn out to be incredibly immersive to be able to just shout out "Garrus, on me!" in the middle of a firefight.

Ho-Lee fuck. That was amazing. So much to say....

- It wasn't too spoiler-ish. I didn't see anything that I hadn't already read or seen in previews.
- The music and sound effects blew me away. They convey the epic scale and I was very glad to hear a few nods to the ME1 soundtrack right away.
- Kinect integration is the shit! Without a second thought, I found myself shouting responses, orders and commands. Very second nature. Love it.
- The graphics are outstanding, a definite improvement from ME2 and some of the best I've seen on a console yet. To Ryu's point, sometimes the faces can be a bit stiff, but I still think it's way better than ME1/2.
- Combat is polished to a pritine shine.
- Direction and cinematography, if that makes sense, is improved greatly.
- Usual dry wit in the writing and dialogue is back.

It's just amazing. I don't see how this one can be screwed up and I might be playing my new favorite game of all time. The sci-fi epic to end all.

[quote name='blueweltall']Did you guys unlock any Kingdom of amalur contents for playing it?[/QUOTE]

Good question! I'm about to pop in KoA:R right now. I'll report back.

bread's done
Back