Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Ryuukishi']http://www.fixmasseffect3.com/

I don't think they picked the best examples to illustrate how ME2 faces can't be manually recreated in the ME3 character creator though. Apart from the goofy-looking female Shep, I'd say the other three look pretty good. The one in the top right corner is practically an exact match.[/QUOTE]Those don't look like good examples to me either, since they look close enough to me between the before and after pics.

Though, as I used default faces for Sheploo and femShep, it's not an issue with the default faces, just the user-created ones, right?

My import looks completely wrong. And I am sure that even if it was "close", it would still matter to me every time I play the game and see a cut-scene. Part of the appeal of the series is the 1 character through all of the games, so I'm sure to the people that have those "close" representations - they want better. How this got through I still cannot comprehend. I just want to know if we are talking days or months with some kind of fix. From what I've read the problem might even be with ME1 or ME2 so I wonder if they will have to update those games to properly fix this.... This is the one game series that I truely love - fix this please Bioware. SOON.

[IMG-C=6463]26716[/IMG-C]

So has anyone (multiple plot spoilers up to after Citadel)

- seen the Joker and Garrus cockpit joke scene?
- danced with Jack?
- Hoped Thane would kick Leng's ass?
- cried (or almost) with Mordin?
- hummed Gilbert and Sullivan ala Salarian version all day after that?
- got pissed when NPC's were gone on teh Citadel when coming back in after Tuchanka to do a bunch of turn ins?
- tried to reload several times to grab that one piece of war asset while the reapers chased you down?
- Want a Reapers Blackstar (voidstar whatever) Gun?
Just a few things so far... loooooove it.

The problem is not the games, it is the new tech. the animations and capturing used in todays high def games is much more detailed, capturing a low res photo with a high def camera it tried to fill in the blanks. Kaiden has the original head from ME1 too but the tech updates it to what it creates from what it sees in the model now.

I honestly do not see the big deal, but play defualt Shep, custom ones look weird to me, and even with one, would not let something so trivial as afew new face pieces to keep me from reveling in this title.

[quote name='shrike4242']Thanks.

Guess the facial glitch and some of the other issues are still pending a patch.[/QUOTE]
not a fan of shepard looking over his shoulder when he talks to someone? come on

Looks like they are still tweeting from the ANN account. It seems to be "live" in that events are happening in the number of real hours they take in the game.

[quote name='Freemason']
I honestly do not see the big deal, but play defualt Shep, custom ones look weird to me, and even with one, would not let something so trivial as afew new face pieces to keep me from reveling in this title.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to argue, but if they had changed the way default shepard looked for ME3, would that matter to you?

Because that is what has happened to some of us.

And this won't affect my enjoyment of the game long-term, but I know that if I played it now - I would regret it. Sure I could put an hour or more into the character editor, but I shouldn't have to do that... Lucky for me, the game has a great multiplayer that I will enjoy until Bioware fixes this mess.

[quote name='hufferstl']My import looks completely wrong. And I am sure that even if it was "close", it would still matter to me every time I play the game and see a cut-scene. Part of the appeal of the series is the 1 character through all of the games, so I'm sure to the people that have those "close" representations - they want better. How this got through I still cannot comprehend. I just want to know if we are talking days or months with some kind of fix. From what I've read the problem might even be with ME1 or ME2 so I wonder if they will have to update those games to properly fix this.... This is the one game series that I truely love - fix this please Bioware. SOON.[/QUOTE]
No, I totally agree with you, this was a major Shaq-Fu-Up on BioWare's part and they deserve to get taken to task for it. I personally was able to recreate my ME1/2 Shepard to a point that I'm very happy with , but I don't doubt that that has been difficult or impossible for other players and that situation totally sucks. And whether or not it's possible to recreate your Shepard from scratch, you shouldn't have to in the first place. There's just no excuse for the game being unable to handle this.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Haven't seen a response on this, so I'm asking this question again, spoilers if you have Ashley alive in ME3

I never bought the Tennyson poetry book for her in the hospital (thought it would be there for a long time and didn't expect it to disappear), does this mean I can't get her as an LI at all? I romanced Liara in ME1 and Miranda in ME2 but I wouldnt mind making Ashley an LI in this one if possible. I dont have any earlier saves so how screwed am I?
[/QUOTE]

no idea. i had her a LI in ME 1 and it was pretty straight forward in this one. Just choose all Paragon choices for me and boom got the Paramore achievement. i dont think your screwed. I would hope Bioware didnt hinge LIs on one mistake

So finally delved in the Multiplayer today. Quite fun but god is it sucky to start. Im using an adept and I feel like biotics are doing damage but weapons stink on damage.

My custom face didn't transfer either, but I did a pretty good job recreating my Wan Xai Shepard, the dirty Chinese wizard.

Maybe a dumb question (as I haven't touched multiplayer) but how do you unlock diffrebnt races? I want a Salarian Engineer.

[quote name='GUNNM']not a fan of shepard looking over his shoulder when he talks to someone? come on[/QUOTE]
I had shep and liara both do that when talking to.each.other

[quote name='Rodimus']My custom face didn't transfer either, but I did a pretty good job recreating my Wan Xai Shepard, the dirty Chinese wizard.

Maybe a dumb question (as I haven't touched multiplayer) but how do you unlock diffrebnt races? I want a Salarian Engineer.[/QUOTE]

Buy veteran packs.

[quote name='integralsmatic']So finally delved in the Multiplayer today. Quite fun but god is it sucky to start. Im using an adept and I feel like biotics are doing damage but weapons stink on damage.[/QUOTE]
Best suggestions I have for just starting is use the pistol and go for headshots. The Assault Rifle and SMG suck, the starter Sniper Rifle does pack a decent punch to a softened target, better with headshots. Headshot everything, shoot the reapers in their center face, the geth in their banana heads and the humans right in the dome.

[quote name='Rodimus']Thanks, just gotta play I guess[/QUOTE]You can also buy Veteran unlock packs for 80MSP and Spectre unlock packs for 160MSP, if you'd rather go that route.

[quote name='hufferstl']Not trying to argue, but if they had changed the way default shepard looked for ME3, would that matter to you?

Because that is what has happened to some of us.

And this won't affect my enjoyment of the game long-term, but I know that if I played it now - I would regret it. Sure I could put an hour or more into the character editor, but I shouldn't have to do that... Lucky for me, the game has a great multiplayer that I will enjoy until Bioware fixes this mess.[/QUOTE]

honestly no it wouldn't bother me as long as it was close. master Chief looks different in all the Halo games, Marcus Fenix gets more detail and different grimaces, Alan Wake looks different, it happens all the time with new technology. I DO understand the frustration with those not having ANYTHING close to their custom made Sheps, but if it can be remade with some time in the creator, awesome. If it took you a long time to make your face and it is what you are accustomed to playing, I see your issues and understand how that can take you out of the immersion of your last saved games, but if you choose not to try to remake it, and they are working on the fix, not much can be done but find something to do, or live with what is available.

Honestly guys, I would not hold out for a fix for this. If they address it at all, which I don't think they will, then it will be something like automating the process of getting a kinda-sorta translation. Importing the mesh unaltered a la ME2 is probably not in the cards.

[quote name='Freemason']honestly no it wouldn't bother me as long as it was close. master Chief looks different in all the Halo games, Marcus Fenix gets more detail and different grimaces, Alan Wake looks different, it happens all the time with new technology. I DO understand the frustration with those not having ANYTHING close to their custom made Sheps, but if it can be remade with some time in the creator, awesome. If it took you a long time to make your face and it is what you are accustomed to playing, I see your issues and understand how that can take you out of the immersion of your last saved games, but if you choose not to try to remake it, and they are working on the fix, not much can be done but find something to do, or live with what is available.[/QUOTE]

Even the art depicting shepard has evolved him.

Mass-Effect-PC-box-art-500x500.jpg

vs

masseffect3box_610.jpg

[quote name='GamerDude316']Haven't seen a response on this, so I'm asking this question again, spoilers if you have Ashley alive in ME3

I never bought the Tennyson poetry book for her in the hospital (thought it would be there for a long time and didn't expect it to disappear), does this mean I can't get her as an LI at all? I romanced Liara in ME1 and Miranda in ME2 but I wouldnt mind making Ashley an LI in this one if possible. I dont have any earlier saves so how screwed am I?
[/QUOTE]

Yes it's possible, I was loyal to Miranda up until that cute
drunk
scene with Ashley and after that she sends you
a couple of meetup requests and it's possible to ask for something "more"
. You do not need to buy her the book, I actually antagonized the hell out of her the first half of the game. The funny thing is I have a save right before
I have to choose between a romance scene with Liara, Ashley, and Miranda since they are all in the same spot

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished..

I don't know what to say

I have never gone back and redone any of my decisions, but having half my old squad die before the final battle just takes the oomph out of having kept everyone alive in the last game. Then again I feel like the choices in this game have been funneled that all of this was out of my hands anyway

Anyhoo, insanity leggo!

Dude what the hell?

I hate that I am the one that has to say this but....this game has THE WORST fucking mission system for a AAA title ever. The journal never updates with your current status, the way you get side missions by simply being around random NPCs is retarded.

What I have been doing is just randomly going to star clusters, scanning for everything and then going back to the ciddy and just walking around floor by floor for hoping that random NPCs show up.

That aspect is deeply disappointing for such a high caliber game. Its horrid how its set up, cant even sort side missions from main missions.

Starting the game as we speak! I'm actually glad for the opportunity to redo my Shepard because I was never happy with my ME1 job in the first place and was forced to stick with it through ME2.

After mulling it, I think I'm gonna play Sentinel again because I enjoyed it so damn much in ME2. Really seems to best fit my play style and I love the versatility of that class. Plus I am a tech armor whore. ;)

Last time round you guys (okay, X) were super helpful in providing me with a prescribed skill upgrade map. Can haz again?

[quote name='Tybee']Starting the game as we speak! I'm actually glad for the opportunity to redo my Shepard because I was never happy with my ME1 job in the first place and was forced to stick with it through ME2.

After mulling it, I think I'm gonna play Sentinel again because I enjoyed it so damn much in ME2. Really seems to best fit my play style and I love the versatility of that class. Plus I am a tech armor whore. ;)

Last time round you guys (okay, X) were super helpful in providing me with a prescribed skill upgrade map. Can haz again?[/QUOTE]Give him some time to plow through the game a whole bunch of times, and I'm sure he'll be happy to do so. He was on his Vanguard playthrough when I was on XBL a couple of days ago, though I'm sure he's working on playthrough #2 before long, which I'd guess would be an Engineer.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dude what the hell?

I hate that I am the one that has to say this but....this game has THE WORST fucking mission system for a AAA title ever. The journal never updates with your current status, the way you get side missions by simply being around random NPCs is retarded.

What I have been doing is just randomly going to star clusters, scanning for everything and then going back to the ciddy and just walking around floor by floor for hoping that random NPCs show up.

That aspect is deeply disappointing for such a high caliber game. Its horrid how its set up, cant even sort side missions from main missions.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why they didn't have the same journal system in that they have in ME2. Your status for each quest would always update. With the ton of quests available, it would be pretty helpful in ME3.

For the side missions vs. main missions, main missions always say Priority: Location name.

Its kinda of annoying when you get a bunch of side quests that you can't do become you haven't found said cluster.

All in all, a great game so far (20 hrs in), but a few technical issues (playing on PS3) + the issues you brought up kind of mar it. Still, it's shaping to be one of my favorite games ever, and the story/characterization, as usual, are outstanding.

EDIT: Question for people who bought CE. I'm having troubling getting the soundtrack. I go to that link, and its saying you're not registered to the Alliance News Network. I activated the DLC, online pass, and GS codes. Do you have to play an online match?

EDIT 2: How do you improve galactic readiness? Can it only be improved by playing online? Mine is still at 50%.

[quote name='sandaz93']I don't know why they didn't have the same journal system in that they have in ME2. Your status for each quest would always update. With the ton of quests available, it would be pretty helpful in ME3.

For the side missions vs. main missions, main missions always say Priority: Location name.

Its kinda of annoying when you get a bunch of side quests that you can't do become you haven't found said cluster.

All in all, a great game so far (20 hrs in), but a few technical issues (playing on PS3) + the issues you brought up kind of mar it. Still, it's shaping to be one of my favorite games ever, and the story/characterization, as usual, are outstanding.

EDIT: Question for people who bought CE. I'm having troubling getting the soundtrack. I go to that link, and its saying you're not registered to the Alliance News Network. I activated the DLC, online pass, and GS codes. Do you have to play an online match?

EDIT 2: How do you improve galactic readiness? Can it only be improved by playing online? Mine is still at 50%.[/QUOTE]

Yea playing the MP increases your galactic readiness. If you do just about everything in the SP however,
your forces will number over 6,000 so
at 50% galactic readiness you can still achieve the optimal ending.

25 hours in, still ahve one major race to go with the Asari, just finished the Geth/Quarian missions, sitting at 97% Readiness, still have a TON of quests to do and people to see. FANTASTIC. GAME.

(although i hate the mission structure in this one too, ME2 was far superior.)

[quote name='Freemason']25 hours in, still ahve one major race to go with the Asari, just finished the Geth/Quarian missions, sitting at 97% Readiness, still have a TON of quests to do and people to see. FANTASTIC. GAME.

(although i hate the mission structure in this one too, ME2 was far superior.)[/QUOTE]

Im pretty similar to you I think but I did the Asari first and am now doing the Quarian mission. I took a break from it yesterday and played just a little bit today. Trying to stretch this great game out as much as I can.

[quote name='Soodmeg']ystem for a AAA title ever. The journal never updates with your current status, the way you get side missions by simply being around random NPCs is retarded.

.[/QUOTE]
I was laughing at this too.
After the citadel attack
I would just walk by people talking and got like 5 random missions.

[quote name='Mad39er']Best suggestions I have for just starting is use the pistol and go for headshots. The Assault Rifle and SMG suck, the starter Sniper Rifle does pack a decent punch to a softened target, better with headshots. Headshot everything, shoot the reapers in their center face, the geth in their banana heads and the humans right in the dome.[/QUOTE]

it helped. Finally bought enough packs and got the mattock. I like semi autos and this was fun to use. i never used it in single player.

have to say the Reapers are fucking cheesy. That Banshee kills me every time.

[quote name='integralsmatic']it helped. Finally bought enough packs and got the mattock. I like semi autos and this was fun to use. i never used it in single player.

have to say the Reapers are fucking cheesy. That Banshee kills me every time.[/QUOTE]
Banshees are a real bitch at times, if you can bottleneck them in a hallway with something else though you can rocket the piss out of them easily. It is easy to miss them, so aim at the floor/wall if you're not sure.

A Vanguard can actually solo Banshees pretty decently/quickly if they're careful enough to avoid the instant death melee grab. If you ever see a Vanguard take on a Banshee, back them up because they'll need it if they get grabbed to interrupt the kill animation.

[quote name='Mad39er']Banshees are a real bitch at times, if you can bottleneck them in a hallway with something else though you can rocket the piss out of them easily. It is easy to miss them, so aim at the floor/wall if you're not sure.

A Vanguard can actually solo Banshees pretty decently/quickly if they're careful enough to avoid the instant death melee grab. If you ever see a Vanguard take on a Banshee, back them up because they'll need it if they get grabbed to interrupt the kill animation.[/QUOTE]

duly noted.

thats all i have been running in to lately are high level soldiers and vanguards. I got my readiness rating up in no time with these beasts.

Finally beat this game. Not so sure if I like the ending. Bioware still made a dam good game. I chose the paragon ending where they all survive but i know you have to do a second play through for the secret ending. well great game nonetheless.

I decided to wait on continuing my Infiltrator Shepard until they fix the face glitch. Instead I started a Vanguard Femshep on Insanity.

I had enough fun with ME2 on Insanity that I'm not sure I want to play the game any other way. That said, I've never played a Vanguard before an it's taking some getting used to.

While it is a change of pace to the system, and a pain in the ass to navigate some, I thin it was implimented to make you listen to the stories and have them come as a reward for your attention instead of them having an exclimation mark above their head. While a good way to integrate the storytelling, i agree it is rough sometimes, but i actually enjoy checking all areas when i come through so that i can get updates to teh other tales going on. Did anyone notice that there are tons of people whose story evolves and progresses as you do? Their dialogue expands farther into their story as you pass by after each story mission.

for instance - in the hallway on the Normandy Docking area there are two female soldiers. One is assigning the woman to missions on Cerberus, and she keeps trying to get a transfer to fight Reapers, further down the road you find out that her troublemaker brother got his act together and sent her a letter showing he got in a good job with benefits and pay and that they even gave him shiny new white and orange armor. So she wants to fight Reapers as she fears she may have to fight her brother.

There are dozens of stories like this aorund the Citadel with more popping up each time you visit, so it is worth paying a listen to everyone as you go about your business.

played quite a bit of mulitplayer yesterday and got the quarian infiltrator, soooo much fun against geth hacking them and having them fight themselves

[quote name='Filbert']I decided to wait on continuing my Infiltrator Shepard until they fix the face glitch. Instead I started a Vanguard Femshep on Insanity.

I had enough fun with ME2 on Insanity that I'm not sure I want to play the game any other way. That said, I've never played a Vanguard before an it's taking some getting used to.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I don't know if Vanguard is a good idea with Insanity lol. The Vanguard class is all up in your face kind of close combat thing yet you'll not want to be out in the open for very long.

[quote name='Freemason']While it is a change of pace to the system, and a pain in the ass to navigate some, I thin it was implimented to make you listen to the stories and have them come as a reward for your attention instead of them having an exclimation mark above their head.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw this as a more organic way to uncover side quests and things to do in the universe. I like one couple that were in the Citadel talking about enlisting and after I told them it was a good idea the one chick was like who the heck was that? lol, just your average N7 eavesdropper.

Oh I forgot to say it's surprising that you can't have just one disc in and not have to worry about disc swapping if you have both of them installed onto the hdd (as I currently do).

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally managed to get some playtime with ME3 last night, and holy crap, great game, even just a few hours in. The dialogue, the pacing, the music, it's all put together extremely well against the pending unbeatable doom.

So far,
made it through leaving Earth, and went through Mars and made it to the Citadel.

Noticed that the Earth mission was pretty much the same as in the demo, though I did notice the dialogue bits about Arrival's events.

Mars mission was great, well-paced and well-designed for the combat sequences. I thought the darkened room with the flashlight was great, especially when the Cerberus troops showed up and then you surprise them in the dark. I think I missed a weapon upgrade on Mars, not sure if I should go back for it or not. :bomb:

I'm guessing that either Ashley or Kaiden gets attacked by Dr. Eva on Mars, whichever one of them you have with you?

Citadel looked good this time around, though I'll be curious to see how the Council sequence goes if you had them die and replaced them with an all-human Council at the end of ME1.

I also did run into the facial direction glitch while talking with Liara on the Normandy.

I just beat the game last night, overall great series in gaming with alot of myth and back story to the game and i enjoy every moment of it but now that I've beat the all three games there is a lot of plot holes and story itself doesn't make sense

First of the ending to mass effect 3 is a contradiction to the ending of mass effect 1 since the entire first game resolve around the reaper sovereign trying to retake control of the citadel, because the citadel turns out to be mass relay, and use it to get other reapers to come through and harvest the galaxy, but in mass effect 3 the ending show that the citadel CONTROLS the reaper WTF, maybe i miss something, then what was the point? I know that they show the citadel was rewritten by the protheans so its relay wont work for the reapers, but since the citadel controls the reaper then couldn't it signal the reapers that it cant open its mass relay and tell the all reaper to come check it out instead of sending sovereign around trying to find answers?.

Second mass effect 2 took place TWO years after mass effect 1 why didnt the reaper travel from dark space after sovereign was destroy instead they just wait around and then use pawns to gather humans just as Shepard was about to be brought back to life (i could be wrong and it could have taken them about two years to travel from dark space to the galaxy) but the hold point of using the collectors doesn't make sense since the reaper could have just been quiet and move from dark space and attack the galaxy and it would have been unprepared after it had sent the collector to kill Shepard, since the majority of the galaxy didn't believe in the reapers in the first place.

And third mass effect 3 dosent make any sense or explain anything major to the story, the reapers were created to harvest organics and turn them into synthetics so that the organics wont make its own synthetics which will end up killing them....doesn't make sense and all three endings doesn't make sense, kill all synthetic, control the synthetic, or merge with the synthetic all ending up destroying all mass relays which disconnect the galaxy, the reapers the main antagonist is never truly explain or given a full back story other then they were created for a purpose, no info was given on who created them which became the bigger mystery. I hope mass effect 3 would of clear some of these problems up but its just add more to it! and since it was PLANED trilogy they should have worked this out and give answers to players!

the kid was annoying also because i couldn't skip those dumb dream sequence and it seem like it was force into the game since there was never an introduction of children ever before, why?

is it because its a video game that the story was flaw?
Or because its a video game and i should shut up and enjoy what i can and who cares

Just my two cent in the matter, please correct me if im wrong

Those Spectre packs are sort of a rip off. Spent 1600 MS points. I got Quarian Infiltrator 3x, Black Widow 1x, Krogan Shredder 2x, Asari Vanguard 3x, Geth Shotgun 2x.

Geth Shotgun is sooooo awesome.

[quote name='zewone']Those Spectre packs are sort of a rip off. Spent 1600 MS points. I got Quarian Infiltrator 3x, Black Widow 1x, Krogan Shredder 2x, Asari Vanguard 3x, Geth Shotgun 2x.

Geth Shotgun is sooooo awesome.[/QUOTE]

Geth shotgun really is, I used that gun my whole insanity playthrough on ME2.

Charge it up for one hit instakill and it's good at long range too.

[quote name='shrike4242']Also, whoever said Jessica Chobot's character looks like Snooki was 100% dead on with that assessment.[/QUOTE]
where do you find her character?

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite place to invade your privacy on the Citadel...

[quote name='GUNNM']where do you find her character?[/QUOTE]

She's on the Citadel in the docking bay as soon as you arrive there the first time. She's a war asset if you let her become an imbedded reporter aboard the Normandy and can help improve other assets by cutting interviews with Shepard.

Has anyone invested in the weapons at the Spectre Requisitions console? They are mighty expensive, but because I'm an insane completionist, I have a ton of money. Curious if any of them are worth the investment.

[quote name='shrike4242']Does anyone think it's worth going back
to Mars
to pick up a missing weapon mod? Probably be an hour or so worth of backtracking.[/QUOTE]

Most mods can be bought in the various stores I think.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite place to invade your privacy on the Citadel...

She's on the Citadel in the docking bay as soon as you arrive there the first time. She's a war asset if you let her become an imbedded reporter aboard the Normandy and can help improve other assets by cutting interviews with Shepard.

Has anyone invested in the weapons at the Spectre Requisitions console? They are mighty expensive, but because I'm an insane completionist, I have a ton of money. Curious if any of them are worth the investment.[/QUOTE]
welp looks like I missed her then

bread's done
Back