Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']LMAO, had no clue you could do that, either...[/QUOTE]

I didnt know that either till just now, will come in handy for my remaining Citadel quests THANK YOU!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah. I think it's amusing that while Liara certainly has her fans (myself included), the hardcore fanboy community has largely latched onto Tali instead, meanwhile BioWare is all like, "No guys... here's your perfect badass waifu nerd wank-object, it's Liara! Over here guys! Hello!" :lol:[/QUOTE]

Which to me personally is not at all the direction I take her. I see the girl that doesn't know she is pretty type. Science nerd, plays in the dirt, has mommy issues, doesn't know her dad (initially), and generally falls in love with Shepard. Through her actions in the comics to save him, what she had to do, how she handled the awesome power of becoming Shadow Broker, it is kinda like she was the female version of Spider-Man. I think their chemistry and storylines throughout all the games was the best of all of the love interests. The way she talks to Shepard in Lair of the Shadow broker when he tells her they should have little blue babies, she gets embarrassed and slugs him saying, "You say such.. things."

I like how she is part of the "sexy female race" yet comes across as awkward, gawky, and innocent as opposed to the pole dancers and bartenders of the elder Asari. I love Tali, don't get me wrong, but Liara just fits, and she seems to show the most flow in the storyline and how they stroll through it together.

[quote name='Freemason']Which to me personally is not at all the direction I take her. I see the girl that doesn't know she is pretty type. Science nerd, plays in the dirt, has mommy issues, doesn't know her dad (initially), and generally falls in love with Shepard. Through her actions in the comics to save him, what she had to do, how she handled the awesome power of becoming Shadow Broker, it is kinda like she was the female version of Spider-Man. I think their chemistry and storylines throughout all the games was the best of all of the love interests. The way she talks to Shepard in Lair of the Shadow broker when he tells her they should have little blue babies, she gets embarrassed and slugs him saying, "You say such.. things."

I like how she is part of the "sexy female race" yet comes across as awkward, gawky, and innocent as opposed to the pole dancers and bartenders of the elder Asari. I love Tali, don't get me wrong, but Liara just fits, and she seems to show the most flow in the storyline and how they stroll through it together.[/QUOTE]
liara is the best, i dont get the whole tali thing

lol in fact i disliked tali so much she
jumped off a cliff lmao

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']liara is the best, i dont get the whole tali thing

lol in fact i disliked tali so much she
jumped off a cliff lmao
[/QUOTE]

Tali is the nice girl. Shes got the bottled "want to get out in the world" attitude, and is swept away by the idea of Shepard and what he stands for, her speech to him in ME2 was very honest and fitting for her. I got nothing against her as a character, and she's got some great quips and humor. The kind of girl you wanna take home to mom and dad, where Liara is the kind you want to take home to mom and dad and after they think "how the hell did he land a girl like that?

Miranda is a cheerleader Boshtet, Ashley seems borderline lesbian to me and disinterests me as a love interest until i found out how much i really have no connection to Kaidan or anything he says, so i am going to do a playthrough with her once just to see what happens.

yeah so surfing through twitter, a few sites, interviews, and through the guides info with what all is being said... this whole ending debacle is far from over

[quote name='shrike4242']Thanks.

Guess the facial glitch and some of the other issues are still pending a patch.[/QUOTE]
Ugh, I know a fix is confirmed but, man, I was really attached to this stupid character. I opened the box and if the game isn't fixed, I kind of feel justified to ask for my money back. I wish I had heard about this before I opened it.

[quote name='Anexanhume']
indoctrination it is then...
[/QUOTE]

EDIT: Never mind. It's a fake image. I took the bait and got trolled hard. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling through Hardcore with a Soldier and Liara +
Javik
as my primary squad. Guy is a little lacking in survivability (for all his hardass bluster he seems to die as much or more than Liara) but those biotic powers are tight.

I feel like Liara is the Miranda of this game; she's so good, you can't not take her. I'm also doing the Liara romance on this playthrough, but I enjoyed her so much as a platonic best friend for my other Shepard that I almost regret it.

FINALLY finished insanity
fuck that last marauder took me literally 20 tries
and 52/52

now to start from one again and hope this whole ending shindig is resolved by the time i finish again...

regarding the game's ending:
So I've been reading a lot of the theories about the ending of the game (indoctrination)... and if they are true, which I've come to accept that they are, then Mass Effect 3 has one of the greatest endings for any game I've ever played.

I chose the synthesis ending, even though my gut instinct told me to follow "Anderson's" actions and destroy all synthetic life. Reading about the theories and looking back on the scenes in the game - it was as if lightbulbs were being turned on inside my mind. I chose the synthesis ending, and by doing so, I lost. I may have put 30 hours into the game, upgraded all my guns/equipment, made every "right" choice I could to put together the strongest Alliance possible all to put me in front of that diverged path. And when the time came to choose, I chose poorly. I did everything "right" up to that point. But in making my decision... I lost.

Right now, I'm feeling a little distraught over the decision that I made. Mass Effect 3 didn't give me the ending that I wanted; however, it left me with a far greater emotional impact than it would have otherwise. And for that, I commend the writers at Bioware. Well done.

[quote name='gotdott']i think i now hate geth hunters more than banshees[/QUOTE]

gg earlier.

I'm hoping when the mp dlc goes in, we get a geth flamethrower...that'll flush'em out.

[quote name='100xp']gg earlier.

I'm hoping when the mp dlc goes in, we get a geth flamethrower...that'll flush'em out.[/QUOTE]

yea gg couldn't revive myself in either game since playing silver with randoms has literally depleted my stock of medigels haha

and while flamethrowers would be cool, i feel like it would increase exponentially the amount of sacredphoenixes running in and dying

[quote name='gotdott']yea gg couldn't revive myself in either game since playing silver with randoms has literally depleted my stock of medigels haha

and while flamethrowers would be cool, i feel like it would increase exponentially the amount of sacredphoenixes running in and dying[/QUOTE]

lol

that guy...he's something else.

granted I didn't get the wpn I wanted from the spectre pack, I did get +1 health pack cap. That'll help.

I just finished the Turchanga (or whatever, the Krogan world) mission where
you cure the Genophase.. and I am beyond pissed that I can't save Mordin. I didn't even like Mordin that much and I can't believe how pissed off I am. I get that BioWare is finally realizing the whole "every decision matters" but seriously, fuck this shit! Because I decided to save, rather than destroy, that one evil salarian doctor's data, I can't save him?! Oh wait, yes I can, by choosing an equally shitty choice!

Bah! :bomb:

[quote name='Arikado']Pretty much everything except the ending. I'm at work and typing this up here and there, so sorry if these seem a little disjointed or rambly. Some standouts off the top of my head:

-Everything involving the Quarian-Geth conflict. This has fascinated me since speaking to Tali in ME1. It ramped up in ME2 with Legion, and the conclusion in ME3 was fantastic. Entering the Geth consensus and hearing Legion expand upon the beginnings of the conflict was great, and hearing him referring to himself as "I" and calling Tali by name before sacrificing himself was one of the most moving moments I've ever seen in any story in any medium. As I've said before, Rannoch is one of my favorite moments in gaming, ever. It really was incredible, and it's made even better with Tali as a romantic interest. Her dropping the L bomb before you call down the strike on the Reaper made a great scene even better, and the unique dialog while sitting down with her on the cliff is wonderful stuff.

-Tali herself. She's been my favorite character in the series behind Wrex, and it's great to see how far she's come. The interactions she has with Shepard if they're in a relationship are really touching. The scene with her drunk is hilarious, too (EMERGENCEEE INDUKSHUN POOOOORT). That final conversation with her in London was some absolutely heart-wrenching stuff. Shame about the photoshopped face picture, though. There were so many opportunities to show her face in-game, but I guess they just didn't want to render it.

-Garrus. He has some of the best scenes and dialog in the game. Shooting bottles with him on the Citadel was one of the moments I've always wanted in the series: a chance to kick back with your close friend and forget about all of the troubles and problems in the galaxy, at least temporarily. I missed the shot... I figured with everything going on (seeing his homeworld burn, his family's whearebouts unknown), he could use a little bit of joy from winning a friendly competition.

-Speaking of Tali and Garrus, being able to thank the both of them for always standing with and believing in Shepard towards the end of the game (before landing in London) was extremely touching and satisfying.

-Tuchanka and Mordin's sacrifice, coming full circle and redeeming himself. "Had to be me. Someone else might've gotten it wrong." As I said, Wrex is my favorite character, and it was great to finally help him out with his race's biggest problem. The bond between he and Shepard was not only that of soldiers, but friends as well.

-Primarch Victus staring out over Palaven, watching it burn.

-Watching Thessia burn after Kai Leng steals the Prothean VI. The feeling of helplessness.

-Liara's VI program that includes your legacy. The conversation in the cabin was one of the most touching scenes in the entire series. Made me feel a little bad that I dumped her after ME1 on my main Shepard.

-Thane's death. His fight scene with Kai Leng was awesome, showing that he still had a little something left in the tank. The prayer for Shepard as Thane passes away was a bittersweet moment.

-Seeing Jack on Grissom Academy and having her slug you across the face instead of a traditional hello. Definitely Jack. Seeing David from Overlord during the same mission was a nice cameo, too.

-All of the squad dialog and chatter. There is a ton of unique dialog depending on who you bring with you on missions. The crew wandering around and interacting with each other on the ship is something I've always wanted, and the game delivered big time.

-Grunt fighting the Reaperized Rachni and emerging from the depths.

-"You did good, son."

-The music. Hearing tracks from the previous two games was great, but the new stuff really is spectacular.

I'm missing a ton. 99% of ME3 is the greatest thing I've ever played, filled with emotional moments and characters I genuinely care about. The journey through all three games has been incredible. It's just a shame it had to end the way it did.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree with all of these sentiments. The ending was a bit perplexing but I take the journey of all three games being so much more grand that any ending probably could have done justice. My mind is still blown that I started this journey almost five years ago and seen the series and characters develop more than I could have imaged at the time I started. Bravo to Bioware.

[quote name='Vinny']I just finished the Turchanga (or whatever, the Krogan world) mission where
you cure the Genophase.. and I am beyond pissed that I can't save Mordin. I didn't even like Mordin that much and I can't believe how pissed off I am. I get that BioWare is finally realizing the whole "every decision matters" but seriously, fuck this shit! Because I decided to save, rather than destroy, that one evil salarian doctor's data, I can't save him?! Oh wait, yes I can, by choosing an equally shitty choice!

Bah! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Actually...

It's not just the decision to save Maelon's data in ME2. In order for Mordin to live, Wrex must have died back in ME1. And you have to decide to sabotage the cure. So, it's really 3 decision across all 3 games that determines Mordin's fate.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Colin Moriarity opinion video where he goes after his favorite target recently, "entitled gamers." NO SPOILERS[/QUOTE]

I hate the fucking "entitlement" argument. If we weren't promised multiple endings and weren't promised our choices having an impact on the final outcome (not throughout the game itself, because I think it does a great job of that), then yeah, people could throw the "entitlement" argument around all they want.

Thing is, we didn't get what we were promised. We got shitty, similar
color explosion
endings. Of course fans are going to be pissed about that. I guess this doucher decided to forget the first two games and the majority of the third, as well as all of the promises BioWare made to everyone.

Hey, remember when Mike Gamble said this?

"You'll get answers to everything. That was one of the key things. Regardless of how we did everything, we had to say, yes, we're going to provide some answers to these people."

Oh, you mean that was all bullshit? fuck me for being "entitled," I guess.

Even if we weren't promised anything, as you pointed out, the 3 games all do an EXCELLENT job of making there be consequences for all your actions and creating radically different experiences for just about every gamer. I mean, to me, Mass Effect 3's best moments included
Mordin's death, the Geth welcoming their creators back to the homeworld, and Javik schooling Liara on Thessia.
. And those all things that a lot of people did not experience and had to YouTube after beating the game. And there a ton of great moments that I missed out on. All of that led us to believe we were gonna get our own little wrap-up to this fantastic trilogy. Instead, we got some slight variations on the same ending....the same crap ending...

[quote name='MSUHitman']Colin Moriarity opinion video where he goes after his favorite target recently, "entitled gamers." NO SPOILERS[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is I'm not even that mad about the endings. I'm more upset about the scope of destruction born from this sort of irresponsibility amidst an industry climate already obsessed with cutting corners and volatile to educated consumers. When it comes to Mass Effect I made my peace with the fact what I found enjoyable in the first game wasn't worth pursuing any longer. I'm cool with them throwing my branch of the fanbase under the bus leaving us behind for "greener pastures."

I get it - you don't owe me shit.

I'd just appreciate them showing some shred of loyalty to someone other than your bosses, themselves, or a fat stack of bills because right now it seems like the other side got the dealt dirtier than mine did for the same reason - a little extra cash. No fan regardless of their personal preference in gaming or stance on the IP deserves that.

The only way my view of the situation will change is if BioWare's solution to the problem doesn't cost any of us a dime, but I won't hold my breath for long nor wait around with my fingers crossed hoping for a miracle. There's far too much money to be made pimping out the desperate, unfortunately loyal, or mind numbingly clueless.

Besides... if taking a couple of seconds out of my day to voice my dissatisfaction for a product I paid for out of my own pocket is the new definition for the word 'entitled' then so be it. I'm proud to know better than blindly swallow every scrap of bullshit presented to me on a daily basis. Mainly because last I checked there isn't any known medium to date that's automatically exempt from the oh so apparent nuances of standard business practices. Some of which include owning up to your mistakes and making sure your customers are satisfied.

my new favorite map for gold is firebase reactor. the area near the spawn is easy to defend, the whole map is so wide open you can see phantoms coming and you are able to funnel atlases through the reactor itself. almost as easy as geth gold was before the patch, was able to run through it a few times with minimal gel use.

vanguard/adept/engi/infiltrator has been a solid combination

[quote name='gotdott']my new favorite map for gold is firebase reactor. the area near the spawn is easy to defend, the whole map is so wide open you can see phantoms coming and you are able to funnel atlases through the reactor itself. almost as easy as geth gold was before the patch, was able to run through it a few times with minimal gel use.

vanguard/adept/engi/infiltrator has been a solid combination[/QUOTE]

yeah the reactor room and the long hallways are great, plus the nade launcher seems to make good use of the close quarters. took a while before i realized soldier's AR auto reloads your wpn without you having to manually reload it...nifty trick. something to remember for anyone who didn't know.

let me know if you're going to do some cerberus gold runs, I'd like to get a spectre pack after 1 run vs 2.5 on silver...plus I still need the achievement to do gold on every map, I just don't recall which ones I haven't completed them on yet.

I cant wait to finish up the game tonight or tomorrow just so I can go back through and read the last 20 pages of this thread and open all the spoiler tags.

[quote name='gotdott']my new favorite map for gold is firebase reactor. the area near the spawn is easy to defend, the whole map is so wide open you can see phantoms coming and you are able to funnel atlases through the reactor itself. almost as easy as geth gold was before the patch, was able to run through it a few times with minimal gel use.

vanguard/adept/engi/infiltrator has been a solid combination[/QUOTE]

What about a Turian Sentinel running full powers and debuffs? i hit 76k points in my best game yet last night in Bronze, but with having warp and overload i would think that those would be awesome with biotic/tech explosions with the other classes as well. i'm about to hit 20 with him and would love to step up my game.

let me know if you're going to do some cerberus gold runs, I'd like to get a spectre pack after 1 run vs 2.5 on silver...plus I still need the achievement to do gold on every map, I just don't recall which ones I haven't completed them on yet.

I need my cheivement too so would love to roll on these as well.

[quote name='Freemason']What about a Turian Sentinel running full powers and debuffs? i hit 76k points in my best game yet last night in Bronze, but with having warp and overload i would think that those would be awesome with biotic/tech explosions with the other classes as well. i'm about to hit 20 with him and would love to step up my game.

I need my cheivement too so would love to roll on these as well.[/QUOTE]

the problem i've been seeing and experiencing with turian players has been, in gold difficulty their lack of evading and sentinels in particular seem to lack the survivability the other races have. Unless you're godly with a sniper rifle, it's never been a good experience as they go down faster than a $50 hooker. the turian may have more hps/shield but he seems to be as fragile as an asari adept with no cover...because after the 1st hit that stuns you, the follow ups take you down pretty quickly.

Also, biotic explosions are godly in gold difficulty.

[quote name='100xp']the problem i've been seeing and experiencing with turian players has been, in gold difficulty their lack of evading and sentinels in particular seem to lack the survivability the other races have. Unless you're godly with a sniper rifle, it's never been a good experience as they go down faster than a $50 hooker. the turian may have more hps/shield but he seems to be as fragile as an asari adept with no cover...because after the 1st hit that stuns you, the follow ups take you down pretty quickly.

Also, biotic explosions are godly in gold difficulty.[/QUOTE]

hmm, i could see the no evading part, but i would think he is a biotic/tech explosive crankign out machine. i'm under 3 seconds on each one to cast, you'd think he'd e setting off bombs with the adept and vanguard and tech splosions with an engy... how about melee/weapons Krogan? 1100HP 1400 Shields, specced max tech armor, rage, warlord then carry a Black widow and a falcon or geth shotty

[quote name='Freemason']hmm, i could see the no evading part, but i would think he is a biotic/tech explosive crankign out machine. i'm under 3 seconds on each one to cast, you'd think he'd e setting off bombs with the adept and vanguard and tech splosions with an engy... how about melee/weapons Krogan? 1100HP 1400 Shields, specced max tech armor, rage, warlord then carry a Black widow and a falcon or geth shotty[/QUOTE]

when i get the sentinel to 20 im going to promote him and then relevel my krogan so he's built as a damage sponge. the melee spec is godly in bronze and works to great effect in silver for the most part but i don't know how it fares in gold since the hvy melee is what triggers the majority of his effectiveness. no rage...no huge damage bonus. A vanguard biotic charging repeatedly seems to work better vs. the mini bosses.

so yeah...i'll take a krogan over a turian just so he can make some space when the team gets overrun which happens at times.

but hey...if you can make it work, welcome aboard.

Ohhhh.....I get it now. The whole thing with the endings.

It's Meta. They brought the game outside the game. Bioware is like Shepard right. Been kicking ass all over the world with Mass Effect for years. GOTY contender, one of the best games of this generation, all that. The fans, we're like the war assets ($$$$) in their pocket. See, now they think that their reputation rating is so high they can just Paragon option their way out of this. But their interrupt opportunity is fading see, cause they aren't reacting quick enough and their conversation options are greyed out. This is a full on moment of discontent ala ME2 squad faceoffs. Well guess what, it's loyalty mission time now bitches. What do you have for us Shepard/Bioware? There's no shortcut here, you have some work to do.

This parody message brought to you by the friends of indoctrination.

Played a ton of multiplayer last night, had a blast. Finally got the flow of things and feel like an asset rather than a hinderance.

Still haven't unlocked the Salarian engineer :bomb:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Actually...

It's not just the decision to save Maelon's data in ME2. In order for Mordin to live, Wrex must have died back in ME1. And you have to decide to sabotage the cure. So, it's really 3 decision across all 3 games that determines Mordin's fate.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's crap.
Wrex is dead but I wouldn't want to sabotage the cure either way.

[quote name='100xp']when i get the sentinel to 20 im going to promote him and then relevel my krogan so he's built as a damage sponge. the melee spec is godly in bronze and works to great effect in silver for the most part but i don't know how it fares in gold since the hvy melee is what triggers the majority of his effectiveness. no rage...no huge damage bonus. A vanguard biotic charging repeatedly seems to work better vs. the mini bosses.

so yeah...i'll take a krogan over a turian just so he can make some space when the team gets overrun which happens at times.

but hey...if you can make it work, welcome aboard.[/QUOTE]

cool, will have to check it out with both to see how they run, might finish levling up the Krogan Soldier too. Any tried the revenant with the Turian for Marksmanship?

[quote name='Freemason']cool, will have to check it out with both to see how they run, might finish levling up the Krogan Soldier too. Any tried the revenant with the Turian for Marksmanship?[/QUOTE]

havent unlocked the revenant yet, but the geth pulse rifle with incendiary ammo or cyro is basically a flame/ice thrower. if you want surpressing fire...this is awesome. just make sure you're close to an ammo crate as you will go through a clip of 100+ very quickly.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Bioware responds "we are listening" and that's pretty much it for now:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9992961[/QUOTE]
I would love to hear their reasoning on why that ending was worthwhile. I'm sure it will be some variant of "We wanted to avoid the predictable, upend expectations, and do something that would be discussed and debated for years." I wonder if they will even acknowledge that that's not what anybody wanted and not at all appropriate for the interactive story that Mass Effect had been telling for the previous 2.99 games.

First Tali, now this: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9993946 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm82gjZDIDU

Lyrics to song

"Sad night, the weeper of starwind sky
Take me where the shimmering lights are fading out
Through the shadows of hate and through the fires of grace
I followed the voice in the night, beautiful as black sky,
but nothing I found

My thoughts are captured by the magical chants
of the spirits, but i cannot see them with these dead eyes
Lost I am in these dismal streams
Lost I am forever in my life

The snow is falling on the withering leaves, I am left in the cold
The shadows are crying in the moonlight
Is this night the last of my life

Have we arrived from our journey, I must ask you now
At last I can cry, 'cause these sad words are calling me tonight
My eyes bleed for you my star, my pride and the love of my heart
But why did you had to fly so far, I raged and it tore me apart
I promise to you with sadness and hate
wherever I might go, you will know...

I give my life to the withering leaves
o the bleeding moonlight
to the crying shadows
I GIVE MY LIFE TO YOU"

Comparison image for both.

Bioware_hackwork.jpg

L.O.L. I wonder how the fanboys will try to spin this one. It was bad enough Tali's face reveal was an obvious
10 minute photoshopped picture of a Googled super model.
I knew I should have bought a larger supply of popcorn this month.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']L.O.L. I wonder how the fanboys will try to spin this one. It was bad enough Tali's face reveal was an obvious
10 minute photoshopped picture of a Googled super model.
I knew I should have bought a larger supply of popcorn this month.[/QUOTE]

real-genius-popcorn-house.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3uMeF4Wfy4

Not only did they steal the image from that video, but it also explains where they got the
color explosions from
. Anything else that Bioware wants to lazily take off the 'net? Maybe some DLC where Shepard does the Leo Strut?

Niiicccee. 100 Nerd Points awarded to you for the Real Genius reference. Still can't believe the whole internet is actually believing one random anon enough to spread that rumor razor thin though. There's way too many rainbows and unicorns sprinkled on top for me to take seriously, buuuuuttt... you know BioWare. If they remain silent for much longer we'll know without a shadow of a doubt it's true.

Just not for free. I'm sure EA's ceo would sooner sacrifice their first born than authorize such nonsense. If this were true though... BioWare will become legendary as the greatest troll of our time.

The sad part is, if any of this (or something like it) turns out to be true, it will complete bullshit and an insult to everyone who's ever liked Mass Effect... but I'll buy it anyway.

Would Microsoft even allow the DLC to be free? I remember the Left 4 Dead DLC costing points whereas the PC version got the DLC for free. Supposedly Valve wanted it to be free, but Microsoft said no.

"the leak" angle sounds kind of fishy to me. If the leak included info about other endings, you'd think it would pop up in any one of the many ending rants seen elsewhere. If then the leak didn't contain the endings, why change them? Unless, of course, a number of other areas had to be changed rendering them inaccurate or no longer usable.

If true, I hope it doesn't set a precedent that gamers think it's okay to release a game with some parts getting rushed in order to meet a release date and then patch in true endings or whatever later.

bread's done
Back