Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

I'll be on later tonight for the silver teams probably. A little intimidated by this thread since I've not had the time to break it down like some have. Some of you I have played with before. I'm not a full on moron, but I'm sure I could use some strategic advice for surviving and dominating the higher levels. I'll communicate, stick with the group and use my packs. I just hate it when two people fire missles at the same target or use ammo packs.

Will hop on for some MP tonight (later, gotta beat the ending first) or pretty much all day tomorrow so if any of you guys wanna play just add my GT, Cydoniac. Unfortunately I don't have my headset right now :(

Anybody know when these event packs will be available for purchase/awarded to us? Just finished a Reaper Silver with randoms to see what the deal was and didn't get anything out of the ordinary for it.

Help needed:

I keep getting killed by a pair of banshees, where you're defending a missile battery near the end of the game (I think). On Casual difficulty and have had no problems up until now, but I've died seven times in a row and am about to say fuck it and Youtube the rest of the game. I'm playing as an Adept, have warp and pull, the usual guns. Garrus and Liara as my squadmates, they get downed almost immediately by those banshees. Any ideas to get past this?

[quote name='aerotive']Help needed:

I keep getting killed by a pair of banshees, where you're defending a missile battery near the end of the game (I think). On Casual difficulty and have had no problems up until now, but I've died seven times in a row and am about to say fuck it and Youtube the rest of the game. I'm playing as an Adept, have warp and pull, the usual guns. Garrus and Liara as my squadmates, they get downed almost immediately by those banshees. Any ideas to get past this?
[/QUOTE]

There's a rocket launcher or some other heavy weapon there on the ground floor of one of the buildings. And you don't have to defend forever, when the game mentions something about the missile, just make a mad dash and press the button.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Anybody know when these event packs will be available for purchase/awarded to us? Just finished a Reaper Silver with randoms to see what the deal was and didn't get anything out of the ordinary for it.[/QUOTE]

7 days after event ends I think

yeah just beat a silver and didn't get anything - was expecting immediate gratification! Oh well - guess I can wait.

[quote name='Tony208']There's a rocket launcher or some other heavy weapon there on the ground floor of one of the buildings. And you don't have to defend forever, when the game mentions something about the missile, just make a mad dash and press the button.[/QUOTE]

Thanks was able to one shot the first couple banshees, got somewhat further, but kept dying over and over. I watched the last ~ 20 minutes or so on Youtube.

Guys, under options -> online make sure you have the submit feedback on so you qualify for the challenge. For the most part this should be on already but just double check.

Anyone else have problems with the sound? It cuts out on explosions the whole game, now on one particular mission its horrible. It's not my home theater, as tv and other games are perfect I tried swapping hdmi cables AMD av ports also so i know its not anything but game or xbox.

[quote name='gotdott']Guys, under options -> online make sure you have the submit feedback on so you qualify for the challenge. For the most part this should be on already but just double check.[/QUOTE]

do you know if submit feedback is default to yes? I'm not on my xbox now and won't be until probably tomorrow night or Sunday so I can't check it but I don't think I changed any of those settings from default.

[quote name='bordjon']do you know if submit feedback is default to yes? I'm not on my xbox now and won't be until probably tomorrow night or Sunday so I can't check it but I don't think I changed any of those settings from default.[/QUOTE]

It was for me and my friends but yea definitely make sure to check when you get a chance.

I think I should have received a Commendation Pack and/or a Victory Pack but did not. What should I do?
You should verify the following:

You were logged in with the correct Origin ID (linked to your Xbox Gamertag or PSN ID if you are playing on a console)

Verify you have data tracking enabled per the first question in this FAQ: in the game, go to Options -> Online -> Upload Gameplay Feedback, and make sure it is “ON”. If it was “OFF” during the challenge period, you will not be able to receive the unlocks.

Appreciate the correction, Got. I had damn well better get my pack because my online options are always set to on whenever I boot up this game. Good game shout outs to Chubby, Skybreaker, Goodbye and Mason tonight. We had some pretty brutal runs but got the job done in the end. Not sure what's worse though - the fact we cleared with three people on Sanctuary without issue or the only way we could clear with four was playing on the exact same map. ;\

Good times rocking Operation Goliath tonight with the CAG crew. Thanks everyone!! And thanks to Ink for saving our butts more than a few times! Ha!

[quote name='6er']Anyone else have problems with the sound? It cuts out on explosions the whole game, now on one particular mission its horrible. It's not my home theater, as tv and other games are perfect I tried swapping hdmi cables AMD av ports also so i know its not anything but game or xbox.[/QUOTE]
On the PS3 side I've experienced sound cutting out for a round of multiplayer a couple of times, it usually comes back after the next round. It's actually quite crippling with surround sound because the game makes phenomenal use of it to the point of necessity for me.

All right I just beat it so I now I can go back and see the discussion. I think my ending was one of the better ones,
and if a lot of people got the one where the Normandy door is opening and it cuts off
, I can see where the frustration is coming from.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Triple post FTW.
Does it make anyone else sad that other CAGs who haven't finished the game yet keep talking about how to get the "best" ending? I want to be like, "Just do what you want, your final EMS score makes virtually NO difference in how the ending plays out." :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Well Shepard lived in mine and I think the destruction/Shepard lives ending is, in my mind, one of the 2 best endings (along w/synthesis) after watching all 6 on IGN's wiki page.

Still can't tell the difference between the "good/bad" become a Reaper endings. They look EXACTLY the same.

I'm playing total Renegade and my friend beat it on Paragon and
I'm not done yet, but so far I've lost Tali and Miranda, and my friend is like "WTF what did you do." HAAHHAHA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how the outcomes on these are completely different.

i think its stupid miranda wasnt a party member. the only reason i denied a romance with her at the beginning was because I knew she was never gunna be around

Finally beat the game and read through everybody else's ending thoughts, mine below

Another CAG said it felt like running a marathon and when you finally finish the race you get punched in the stomach...thats about how I feel too. For all the talk of different choices affecting you and all the promises Bioware made about giving answers, it all felt forced and contrived. 4 years of choices and in the end we get 3 colors and a lame explanation about how the Reapers are killing organics to save organics? It just makes no sense.

I chose "destroy" because thats what the ENTIRE series has built up to IMO, everytime someone tried to control the Reapers they became indoctrinated themselves so why would Shepard even consider that as an option? Interestingly, I took Garrus and Ashley as my last squad (they were my end squad in ME1 the first time through and Garrus was in my first endrun of ME2) but it was Liara (my LI) and Javik who walked off the Normandy with Joker.

No matter the ending, where was the aftermath? How about showing us the characters we've immersed ourselves in for the last 4 years? Nothing from Hackett, Wrex, Councilors or any of your ME2 squad thats still alive was really disappointing to me. And where was Harbinger? I know he was the Reaper attacking at the end but we couldnt get a dialogue wheel? Showed me how rushed the end came off and it felt like there was no impact at all in the galaxy that I just saved. Hell even a quick minute showing some familiar characters interacting afterwards on Earth would have made things better.

Don't get me wrong I still liked ME3 a lot and found that the game as a whole played INCREDIBLY and gave me so much emotion right up until the ending sequences, but the end itself was so weak and uninspired. I doubt we'll see any DLC but I'm not even sure I want it...the fact that Bioware actually thought most fans would like these endings is a sad commentary on how little they truly get their fanbase. I'm okay with Shepard dying to save the galaxy since that seemed pretty obvious but I wanted to see it handled better.

Will post in the morning about what I enjoyed (which really was a lot, so many great moments) but the ending felt like such a poor return on my emotional investment in the series.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Finally beat the game and read through everybody else's ending thoughts, mine below

Another CAG said it felt like running a marathon and when you finally finish the race you get punched in the stomach...thats about how I feel too. For all the talk of different choices affecting you and all the promises Bioware made about giving answers, it all felt forced and contrived. 4 years of choices and in the end we get 3 colors and a lame explanation about how the Reapers are killing organics to save organics? It just makes no sense.

I chose "destroy" because thats what the ENTIRE series has built up to IMO, everytime someone tried to control the Reapers they became indoctrinated themselves so why would Shepard even consider that as an option? Interestingly, I took Garrus and Ashley as my last squad (they were my end squad in ME1 the first time through and Garrus was in my first endrun of ME2) but it was Liara (my LI) and Javik who walked off the Normandy with Joker.

No matter the ending, where was the aftermath? How about showing us the characters we've immersed ourselves in for the last 4 years? Nothing from Hackett, Wrex, Councilors or any of your ME2 squad thats still alive was really disappointing to me. And where was Harbinger? I know he was the Reaper attacking at the end but we couldnt get a dialogue wheel? Showed me how rushed the end came off and it felt like there was no impact at all in the galaxy that I just saved. Hell even a quick minute showing some familiar characters interacting afterwards on Earth would have made things better.

Don't get me wrong I still liked ME3 a lot and found that the game as a whole played INCREDIBLY and gave me so much emotion right up until the ending sequences, but the end itself was so weak and uninspired. I doubt we'll see any DLC but I'm not even sure I want it...the fact that Bioware actually thought most fans would like these endings is a sad commentary on how little they truly get their fanbase. I'm okay with Shepard dying to save the galaxy since that seemed pretty obvious but I wanted to see it handled better.

Will post in the morning about what I enjoyed (which really was a lot, so many great moments) but the ending felt like such a poor return on my emotional investment in the series.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much exactly my thoughts to a T
except my Shepard lived and got the Sopranos cutoff so that made me go really?

Not to toot my own horn too much, but got into a pretty decent discussion with whomever is running the @masseffect twitter feed at this time in the morning (I'm @msuhitman.)

Well lob me in the camp that thought the ending was complete garbage, I made the same choice hitman, supposedly I chose the "Worst" possible ending, but not in my opinion.

Everything after hitting the endgame point of the game was filled with horrible writing, and direction.

They didn't learn from their mistakes with Dragon Age 2.

[quote name='joe2187']Well lob me in the camp that thought the ending was complete garbage, I made the same choice hitman, supposedly I chose the "Worst" possible ending, but not in my opinion.

Everything after hitting the endgame point of the game was filled with horrible writing, and direction.

They didn't learn from their mistakes with Dragon Age 2.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age 2 overall didn't head in a good direction. 99% of ME3 is still quality so you can't really make that comparison.

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

This says the ending was botched on purpose because of the story leak before the release

[quote name='6er']http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

This says the ending was botched on purpose because of the story leak before the release[/QUOTE]

yeah its been brought up, was not the case and debunked. I still suspect there is more coming down the pipe. I am ok with the endings as is to a point that i can get by. If further DLC will at least fill in a few holes, or give us more time to followup with our team, I would be happy. And of course, i wanna see what happens to Maurader Shields-Health ( I hyphenated as to respect the maiden name)

And yes great game last night, i was pissed that Banshee took me down with a one shot when i was in the middle of a heavy melee animation and that my Turtle Beach cable from my headset seems to be shorting out and I couldnt speak or have you hear me i think. That was intense and now I want to unlock my frickin Salarian engineer... only one i still need. Wished I could have stayed longer but i was fightin teh wife off as it was as it was kid bed time lol, but i should have more time tonight to bust out a few maps.

Hell yeah last night's N7 Operation Goliath attempts were fun and intense! I tried running it with my Sentinal but he's so damn slow and got picked off by Ravagers more than once. I also tried purging my tech armor more than once around husks and the damn things would just jump on my neck!? Wtf... It was a lot better when I went to Adept and Cartwheel dodged attacks and moved around more freely. Glad we finally got a completion under our belt but man I felt mentally exhausted lol.

As I was driving back from work on Friday I heard the commercial that I had already heard but thought I was just making it up. Has anyone heard Brandon Keener, Garrus' VO, talking about the fish fillet for a McDonalds radio ad?! "hone right in on it" Ahaha, all I can think of was seeing Garrus talking throughout that whole commercial, priceless.

I also found this today, as I was trying to find some official record of that commercial lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8s9_pi9vQbs

[quote name='joe2187']Thats why I said everything after the endgame was filled with horrible writing and direction.[/QUOTE]

Yes I was pointing out that you are relating an ending to a whole game. Not really comparable

I tried a few games of Silver Reapers with randoms last night, we kept dying on Wave 8...

I'm going to have to get together with you guys, it seems like every night I get an invite from a CAG just as I'm getting tired of MP and getting back to my SP game. :p

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I tried a few games of Silver Reapers with randoms last night, we kept dying on Wave 8...

I'm going to have to get together with you guys, it seems like every night I get an invite from a CAG just as I'm getting tired of MP and getting back to my SP game. :p[/QUOTE]
Did some this morning and randoms and got past 6 once ugh some randoms are so bad.

LOL.

I love how Tali is my LI in this second playthrough yet
Liara's picture the last one that pops up during the ending.

Stop failing BioWare.

[quote name='MSUHitman']That's pretty much exactly my thoughts to a T
except my Shepard lived and got the Sopranos cutoff so that made me go really?

Not to toot my own horn too much, but got into a pretty decent discussion with whomever is running the @masseffect twitter feed at this time in the morning (I'm @msuhitman.)[/QUOTE]

yeah,
Shepard lived for me too when I did destroy but I wouldnt have minded him dying to finally end the Reaper threat since the series kept hinting that all 3 games. What should have happened was he dies in most playthroughs BUT if you get all the possible allies than it pays off in the end and Shepard lives followed by some kind of happy ending. I would have loved to see all the characters on Earth realize Shepard sacrificed himself and come together for a few seconds in mourning and then on the ultimate playthrough the end is him walking up on everybody. Yeah its cheesy but I think itd be great payoff for the fans and INFINITELY better than this starchild/color crap we got instead.

Anyway, some general game thoughts about what I did and didn't like:
What I liked:

- LOVED the Tuchanka missions. Great to talk with Wrex for a long time again and the Reaper/Thresher Maw battle was very well done. The fight to get to the hammers was a total "OH SHIT" moment and I loved it. Mordin sacrificing himself to cure the genophage tore me up and I nearly cried when he started singing. The sabotage of the cure was also well done and I couldn't believe when Shepard shot Mordin with that interrupt. Rivals Virmire for the best overall planet series IMO.
- Also loved the resolving of Geth/Quarian conflict. Scenes with Tali on Rannoch were very moving and taking that Reaper out with a laser had to be one of the most exhilarating moments I've felt as a gamer. The fallout from each choice was so heartfelt (I made peace but also played both races wiping each other out...I was devastated when Tali fell off the cliff) and made your decision really feel like it made an impact. Again, top 5 moment in the series.
- Loved that your squad moved around the Normandy and on the Citadel. It was so cool to walk in on Garrus/Tali (a very satisfying moment after having them for 3 whole playthroughs), Liara/Javik's argument after Thessia, Garrus and Joker's jokes on the bridge and even just overhearing Wrex and Garrus on intercoms. Made me squad feel even more connected.
- Much better inventory/weapon/class setups than ME2. I played as a Soldier and had no problem building up my guns and powers. Did I have an optimal setup? Probably not (rocked the Mattock and Claymore most of the game) but it worked well for me.
- Seeing a lot of Hackett. He's just so full of win. And bringing Adams back for engineering.
- Loved saving the Council (AGAIN) and finally hearing them praise me instead of condemning me.
- Sacrifice from your ME2 squad. Thane, Mordin, Legion (and Samara if you didnt do the paragon interrupt) all sacrificed themselves to save the galaxy and got incredible death scenes as a result. Kudos to the team for writing their stories like that.

What I didn't like:

- The ending, duh (see my previous post for why, not gonna repeat it here)
- Too many fetch type quests that didnt have any measurable impact, and not enough lighthearted quests to break up the action a bit
- Planet scanning (tied to the fetch quests...would have been better if they brought back the Mako and went to ME1 style sidequests)
- Lack of ME1 side characters in ME3...where were Major Kyle? Chairman Burns? Toombs? Helena Blake? Gianna? Lorik Quinn? Lot of characters missing who I thought should have been involved in some capacity or maybe they were and I just didnt trigger them even though I did every quest. I also apparently missed Liara's father reveal, anybody know where to trigger that?
- No hub worlds other than the Citadel was a fail. And while the Citadel was better than ME2's version there wasnt enough to do. Also didnt like how you couldnt bring squadmates with you there, would have been cool to see their reactions to some of the Citadel events (ie meeting Balak again)
- No galactic news segments (also Diana was AWFUL)
- Not having enough EMS in SP alone to get the "best" ending. Especially with that bar maxing out at 3000 is just dishonest on Bioware's part. I dont mind MP at all but nobody should have had to play it in order to better their SP experience, this is MASS EFFECT not COD effect.
- Similar to that, didnt like the COD feel some missions had. From the turret missions with Koris and the Rannoch Reaper to the Maruader Shields moment that type of play style didnt belong in ME3.
- NOT HAVING WREX AS A PLAYABLE SQUAD MEMBER!

I just read that the
Jacob situation plays out the same way even if you romanced him. Of course not all love interests are going to get the same treatment in the story (I would have loved to have seen more of Jack, but that's life), but that's pretty rough that Jacob actually dumps Shepard and immediately gets another woman pregnant. Ouch.

Finally got my Salarian Engineer, at 3 AM in the morning, but I got him. Multiplayer is seriously getting in my way of single player.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I just read that the
Jacob situation plays out the same way even if you romanced him. Of course not all love interests are going to get the same treatment in the story (I would have loved to have seen more of Jack, but that's life), but that's pretty rough that Jacob actually dumps Shepard and immediately gets another woman pregnant. Ouch.
[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't even want to get into the Jacob debacle. It reminds me too much of the Sazh afro nesting bullshit in FFXIII that everyone gave a pass when they really shouldn't have. Yet they have the nerve to find the time to overreact and senselessly bash Capcom for centering RE5 in Africa. :roll:

Every year I lose a little more faith in the gaming community than I did in the last. The majority seems hell bent on doing the wrong thing at the wrong time for the worst reasons whenever humanly possible.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
I honestly don't even want to get into the Jacob debacle. It reminds me too much of the Sazh afro nesting bullshit in FFXIII that everyone gave a pass when they really shouldn't have. Yet they have the nerve to find the time to overreact and senselessly bash Capcom for centering RE5 in Africa. :roll:

Every year I lose a little more faith in the gaming community than I did in the last. The majority seems hell bent on doing the wrong thing at the wrong time for the worst reasons whenever humanly possible.
[/QUOTE]
Ha, I didn't really consider the racial angle, just the arbitrary and totally unnecessary middle finger given to Jacob-mancers, however few they may be. Of course, the ending gives the ultimate middle finger to fans of all of the characters and the setting itself, so at least everybody's in the same boat.

the more I think about it, the best way for Bioware to handle the ending is to
make everything after the final run to the beam a dream by unconscious Shepard. The Normandy crash-landing can be explained as him visualizing his friends getting to safety and the Stargazer scene can simply be him imagining that his sacrifice works. But best of all it would retcon the entire Starchild and the whole "we created synthetics to kill organics to stop synthetics from killing organics" mess with destroying the mass relays. Let Shepard wake up from that, go on the beam and have some final encounter with the Illusive Man and then a final reveal where the Reaper are still the ultimate bad guys and he has to sacrifice himself for the galaxy or (if you have enough EMS) find a way to rid the threat and still live and then have an epilogue afterward showing the fallout. It's a much better way to give closure than this color magic bull Bioware fed us.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
Ha, I didn't really consider the racial angle, just the arbitrary and totally unnecessary middle finger given to Jacob-mancers, however few they may be. Of course, the ending gives the ultimate middle finger to fans of all of the characters and the setting itself, so at least everybody's in the same boat.
[/QUOTE]

Yep. BioWare did a thorough job of alienating just about everyone in this case. You should check out this eye opening thread at BSN when you get the chance. Some guy's been predicting/explaining their PR strategy right down to the letter. Extremely detailed. It's a miracle the mods have the foresight not to ban him yet.

On a positive note (for once) I think my Heavy Pistol/Drone spam Engineer Insanity playthrough might be the easiest one yet. By picking up the Defensive Drone bonus power I've got all ranges covered. The only reason I'm restricting myself to a pistol is out of boredom. I think with a respec and enough ammo capacity boosts I can make this work. No Overload or Incinerate either. All drones and turrets all the time.

MP is very slowly growing on me but I doubt I will stick with it past getting 100 percent of readiness. The loading turns me off, I am completely baffled by the technical limitations of this mode. Load to get to the MP screen, load to back out because it dumped you into a match of level 8s doing Silver for some reason, load back into MP, load the match. Loading when the host leaves the menu?

Its fine if you can get into a game on the first or 2nd try and everyone kinda sticks together.

Meh its just a huge pete peeve of mine, I would rather have you tone down everything than to sit through dozens of loading screens.

[quote name='Soodmeg']MP is very slowly growing on me but I doubt I will stick with it past getting 100 percent of readiness.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I'll probably hang it up once I get my character sitting at a nice level and 100% readiness, probably do it tonight. Once you find a good group of people it's a blast, but it's not always easy. Like you said level 8 guys wrecking a Silver run.

[quote name='GamerDude316']the more I think about it, the best way for Bioware to handle the ending is to
make everything after the final run to the beam a dream by unconscious Shepard. The Normandy crash-landing can be explained as him visualizing his friends getting to safety and the Stargazer scene can simply be him imagining that his sacrifice works. But best of all it would retcon the entire Starchild and the whole "we created synthetics to kill organics to stop synthetics from killing organics" mess with destroying the mass relays. Let Shepard wake up from that, go on the beam and have some final encounter with the Illusive Man and then a final reveal where the Reaper are still the ultimate bad guys and he has to sacrifice himself for the galaxy or (if you have enough EMS) find a way to rid the threat and still live and then have an epilogue afterward showing the fallout. It's a much better way to give closure than this color magic bull Bioware fed us.
[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
Yep. BioWare did a thorough job of alienating just about everyone in this case. You should check out this eye opening thread at BSN when you get the chance. Some guy's been predicting/explaining their PR strategy right down to the letter. Extremely detailed. It's a miracle the mods have the foresight not to ban him yet.
[/QUOTE]
At this point, I'm fine with them sticking to their guns, it's just dulled my enthusiasm for Mass Effect somewhat. I'll still play through ME3 a couple more times and go for the 1050/1050, and ME2 remains my favorite game of all time so I'm sure I'll return to it.

But I'm not sure if I'm interested in whatever DLC BioWare is planning for ME3. I'm glad that BioWare didn't do a Gears-style season pass because I would have bought it without hesitation but now I'd probably regret that. The multiplayer is enjoyable but I don't see it replacing Horde 2.0 for me long term, and I'm just not sure I'm interested in further single-player content. I guess it will just depend on what it is.

For someone who eagerly purchased every piece of DLC for both Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, including the costume packs, weapons, etc., I feel like that's a pretty extraordinary statement. If you'd told me on March 5 that I would be in this position after beating the game, I certainly would not have believed it.

If BioWare wants to admit their mistake, acknowledge that they did not give the fans what we deserve, and release some kind of re-do, whether it's a DLC or a Director's Cut version of the game, or whatever, I'll be first in line. Otherwise, I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude toward future Mass Effect content.

So whatever statement Mac Walters and Casey Hudson were trying to make, I hope it was worth putting a torch to their franchise and its fandom.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back