Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='GamerDude316']the more I think about it, the best way for Bioware to handle the ending is to
make everything after the final run to the beam a dream by unconscious Shepard. The Normandy crash-landing can be explained as him visualizing his friends getting to safety and the Stargazer scene can simply be him imagining that his sacrifice works. But best of all it would retcon the entire Starchild and the whole "we created synthetics to kill organics to stop synthetics from killing organics" mess with destroying the mass relays. Let Shepard wake up from that, go on the beam and have some final encounter with the Illusive Man and then a final reveal where the Reaper are still the ultimate bad guys and he has to sacrifice himself for the galaxy or (if you have enough EMS) find a way to rid the threat and still live and then have an epilogue afterward showing the fallout. It's a much better way to give closure than this color magic bull Bioware fed us.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's a popular theory, and holds weight once you connect the dots. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about it. Here's a good one (spoilers for anyone that hasn't finished the game):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbghjn7_Byc

another thing that detracted from my experience in the ending was that my shepard didnt have any eyelids, so throughout the entire ending my shepard was a horrifying bug-eyed abomination who would also at odd times break his neck 180 degrees.

As someone only two hours into me3 sp seeing all the complaining about the ending is putting a damper on the game. I'll go read a billion spoiler posts of everyone bitching when I'm done.

[quote name='theredworm']As someone only two hours into me3 sp seeing all the complaining about the ending is putting a damper on the game. I'll go read a billion spoiler posts of everyone bitching when I'm done.[/QUOTE]

Less reading. More playing. Make your own decision.

The game is honestly a fantastic piece of art, many feel jaded with the closure factor and inconsistancy in the end sequence, The ride to get there and the experience I had playing it, was far greater than the luke warm ending. To me it was the journey, not the destination. I still have hopes they will expand it a bit or brig some quality DLC down the pipe, but its an experience you must take for yourself and let yor own conclusions guide your views.

MP Note: The Locust ROCKS.

And why did the galactic readiness ratings change? I had been getting 3% across the board for every completed bronze until today

[quote name='Freemason']Less reading. More playing. Make your own decision.

The game is honestly a fantastic piece of art, many feel jaded with the closure factor and inconsistancy in the end sequence, The ride to get there and the experience I had playing it, was far greater than the luke warm ending. To me it was the journey, not the destination. I still have hopes they will expand it a bit or brig some quality DLC down the pipe, but its an experience you must take for yourself and let yor own conclusions guide your views.

MP Note: The Locust ROCKS.[/QUOTE]

Mp is what is holding me up.

hey everyone, im not sure if this has been brought up in this thread but if it has i apologize.

somebody started a petition to show bioware how upset the community is regarding the endings, and started collecting donations that will go towards Child's Play, the charity CAG partners with every year.

its a great cause, as im sure you all know. i kicked in $5 myself. i wish i could do more but times are tough.anywho, if you guys have a few extra bucks to spare, why not give it to the kids and stick it to the man at the same time? :)

heres the link. almost $60,000.00 at the time of this posting :D

http://retakemasseffect.chipin.com/retake-mass-effect-childs-play

[quote name='Hobbs1975']Mine came with 2 pictures and 2 comics.

They just didn't pay the stuffers enough to care. Probably spent too much on the 16 different endings.[/QUOTE]

wow its werid

[quote name='Tony Stark']Does anyone know why my Collectors Edition came with 2x Normandy Prop's?
(not complaining, just wondering the reasoning)[/QUOTE]

Because they fear the wrath fo Iron Man.

[quote name='6er']And why did the galactic readiness ratings change? I had been getting 3% across the board for every completed bronze until today[/QUOTE]

GR decays over time...once you max it, you will even get a 5% XP bonus when you complete gold (at least). This way you're encouraged to continue to play MP.

so i did the reaper event but no pack, when do we get it?

[quote name='100xp']GR decays over time...once you max it, you will even get a 5% XP bonus when you complete gold (at least). This way you're encouraged to continue to play MP.

so i did the reaper event but no pack, when do we get it?[/QUOTE]

I heard Tuesday.

Thinking you are "owed" a certain ending is lame, even if one is donating to charity. I wonder how many people who donated actualy finished the game.

[quote name='usickenme']Thinking you are "owed" a certain ending is lame, even if one is donating to charity. I wonder how many people who donated actualy finished the game.[/QUOTE]
Perfectly understandable logic if this were the first game

[quote name='Arikado']Yep, that's a popular theory, and holds weight once you connect the dots. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about it. Here's a good one (spoilers for anyone that hasn't finished the game):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbghjn7_Byc
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw that video too. At about the 10:10 mark, is it me or does the StarChild also look a bit like Shepard when first walking toward you? Could be more proof that its just a vision perpetrated by Harbinger.

Either way, I just want an ending that better reflects what you did in the course of the 3 games. That last 15 minutes didnt feel like Shepard or Mass Effect to me and that is on Bioware.

@Arikado
Yeah I saw that video too. At about the 10:10 mark, is it me or does the StarChild also look a bit like Shepard when first walking toward you? Could be more proof that its just a vision perpetrated by Harbinger.

Either way, I just want an ending that better reflects what you did in the course of the 3 games. That last 15 minutes didnt feel like Shepard or Mass Effect to me and that is on Bioware.

[quote name='usickenme']Thinking you are "owed" a certain ending is lame, even if one is donating to charity. I wonder how many people who donated actualy finished the game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GUNNM']Perfectly understandable logic if this were the first game[/QUOTE]

Yep, what GUNNM said. Problem with the "owed" or "entitled" argument is that BioWare strung the fanbase along big time. I posted it earlier, but here it is again: collection of quotes from BioWare employees leading up to the release of the game, mostly involving the endings.

I'm also willing to bet the majority of those that have donated have finished the game. Even if they haven't, at least the money is going towards a good cause.

Just realized something...

This game has one piece of bullshit wrong with it that Dragon Age II had wrong with it. You have one area within which you are able to run around and talk to NPCs. Every other place is just for missions or for resource scanning.

The problem with the game is that I've played for 25 hours and a lot of that has been running around the citadel trying to find assholes that I found some heat dampening electro shock biotic control mechanism schematics for after over hearing a conversation. Seriously...who the fuck thought this was ok?

I mean, I'm having fun, but the game is disappointing because the jumps made from 2-3 in terms of scale are not near as large they were from 1-2, and in some ways took steps backwards.

EDIT: Why is this showing up as if it is in GamerDude316's post?

I think the minority of fans feel they "owed" anything. Most of us simply expected a much better effort after the first 2 games and about 95% of this one. The endings are awful and seem like something out of a Wii budget title, not the conclusion of AAA trilogy. Even worse, it completely contradicted Bioware's entire concept of our decisions meaning something. Your decisions end up meaning next to nothing.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I think the minority of fans feel they "owed" anything. Most of us simply expected a much better effort after the first 2 games and about 95% of this one. The endings are awful and seem like something out of a Wii budget title, not the conclusion of AAA trilogy. Even worse, it completely contradicted Bioware's entire concept of our decisions meaning something. Your decisions end up meaning next to nothing.[/QUOTE]

I agree...

Your decisions mean, go left? or go right? lol

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']EDIT: Why is this showing up as if it is in GamerDude316's post?[/QUOTE]

The ending is so bad that it broke this topic :applause:

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Just realized something...

This game has one piece of bullshit wrong with it that Dragon Age II had wrong with it. You have one area within which you are able to run around and talk to NPCs. Every other place is just for missions or for resource scanning.

The problem with the game is that I've played for 25 hours and a lot of that has been running around the citadel trying to find assholes that I found some heat dampening electro shock biotic control mechanism schematics for after over hearing a conversation. Seriously...who the fuck thought this was ok?

I mean, I'm having fun, but the game is disappointing because the jumps made from 2-3 in terms of scale are not near as large they were from 1-2, and in some ways took steps backwards.

EDIT: Why is this showing up as if it is in GamerDude316's post?[/QUOTE]

Nail on the head. My thoughts exactly. While it's still a fun, great game, it's definitely my least favorite of the series (~15 hrs in) and reminds me way way way too much of Dragon Age 2.

Like DA2, it feels like they dumbed down the gameplay and scaled back the "RPG"-ness to get... mass appeal...:cool:

At least here the story kicks all sorts of ass (so far) whereas DA2 never really went anywhere, at any time (story or world-wise).

Ratio of RPG to shooter:
ME1: 85:15
Fantastic RPG with competent shooter aspects

ME2: 65:35
RPG with simplified mechanics and improved shooter aspects, but still tons of RPG interaction, dialogue, squad members, side quests, exploration, choices, etc. Strikes a nice balance between cover based shooter gameplay and true RPG depth.

ME3: 25:75
Solid shooter with some RPG elements thrown in. Granted, if this was the first in the series or another series entirely, I'd be all over it. More shooters need this level of story/interaction, instead of just funneling you down one corridor to the next. For Mass Effect, however, it is very, very disheartening.

Dude, what the fuck is wrong with this game? Who the fuck is Officer Delk? I noticed that his name just randomly appeared when I was on the ciddy. I have no idea who/what they are as I dont remember every talking about it.

On top of that, the only journal entry that could be referring to them just says, "a guy," WHAT THE fuck. There is also no way for me to know if I already have the thing he is looking for or if I have to get something from him to start something else. I cant even randomly press A on people and wait for someone to say, "hey you got my shit yet buddy?"

And god damn it why does my journal always start half way down when I click on it.

Muahhahaha, the story is superb but everything else is garbage, which is strange because they were fine in the last games.

I know, I should be complaining about the ending....but I havent got there yet so I dont know what it is.

EDIT: ADJKSDJAFLKJSDAFISDJFSDP Are you serious?!?!!? I just found him, he is no where near the section in which he is listed under. I spent 30 min just running in a circle trying to get something to trigger and finally walked off and found him down the hall in another room.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I should get the pack for finishing on Silver when released Tuesday b/c I was on a squad of randoms that got somebody out, even though I died on extraction. In any case, I'm open to playing MP tonight if people need help getting that. My best character is a LVL 18 Adept. I have a high level soldier and Vanguard, but don't have great weapons. Also you MUST have the EA scan gameplay option on or you can't get the pack, and yes it won't show up in the store until Tuesday, and you only have a week to redeem it.

In fact all I will be playing of this game now is MP. I even put my disks back into the Chinese Disney crap tin since I won't have to take disc 2 out anymore (listen to my podcast for details of that.) After the ending I can't see going through everything again with my secondary character. 3 times each I beat ME 1 and ME 2, but I think it's going to be just once for ME 3. Such a great series (still one of the best of all time IMO) and the last 10 minutes just falls flat.

I sometimes wonder if Bioware has forgotten how to write a compelling ending. First Dragon Age 2 and now ME 3 ...

LOL. Before this event you'd practically have to beg for people to use their equipment, but now? I constantly watch kids blowing their missile launchers between the first and sixth wave on a lone Brute or Banshee we could have taken out in seconds. My goodness... I know every game has some semblance of a learning curve, but damn. It's obvious for some people ME is the only way they would ever experience multiplayer. Maaaaaaaadddd funny.

I wrote up an editorial about the ending for gamingoutsiders but it's not up yet. I'll post when it goes live.

Basically I agree that if this were one title than I'd be ok with whatever ending they gave us but since it was a trilogy and a connected trilogy for that matter, you have to feel the developer is obligated to the fans, aside from the fact the ending makes no sense as well.
ME3yodawg.jpg
Lol, heck a bunch of ME3 was influenced off of the fans in the first place.

Oh yeah, that multiplayer last night was crazy, crazy good. My Drell Adept is so close to hitting level 20!

K, I'm needing some CAGs on my friendslist. Realized all my cag gamer friends are on my PSN list. On MP now. And FYI, I'm only decent right now, just want to be honest about that. I'm not ripping it up like BF3 for those I've played with there

He's the true hero of the series.
Shepard ended up doing more damage to the galaxy than the Reapers ever could. And Marauder Shields made one final valiant effort to stop him.

Will be playing mp a little later tonight and would love to get together with some fellow cags to do the silver reaper challenge.

Kilik64 is my gt and been playing as adept level 16 right now.

[quote name='6er']I can't beat silver reapers. CAGs or randoms, no dice. It not worth one weapon IMO.[/QUOTE]

the biggest problem I see is, most randoms tend to too tight with their equipment...and expect the other ppl on their team to carry them, revive them, missile the enemy, and come equipped with warp and armor piercing ammo. try jumping in and out of groups and seeing if their N7 rating is a decent lvl as well as at least 2 out of 3 ppl using equipment. it makes a huge difference.

[quote name='100xp']the biggest problem I see is, most randoms tend to too tight with their equipment...and expect the other ppl on their team to carry them, revive them, missile the enemy, and come equipped with warp and armor piercing ammo. try jumping in and out of groups and seeing if their N7 rating is a decent lvl as well as at least 2 out of 3 ppl using equipment. it makes a huge difference.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. Now I place equipment use limits on myself when I'm playing alone especially in regards to Medigel. Only two uses per game max unless we're on an objective round and I really need the credits. Far too many selfish/inexperienced players expecting every 100+ N7 in the wild to waste all their shit clutch cosplaying Captain Save-A-Scrub. Nah, I'll pass, thanks. The only person I'm trying to carry is myself if I don't know you.

I accepted your FR btw 6er and will be on in a few. If anyone who hasn't cleared the event yet needs some help hit me up. I'll be more than happy to lend a hand. (Note: Please have some kind of CAG identification in your profile if you forget to add it in your FR. I always delete requests from randoms I've never spoken to and almost scrapped two from CAGs yesterday)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I accepted your FR btw 6er and will be on in a few. If anyone who hasn't cleared the event yet needs some help hit me up. I'll be more than happy to lend a hand. (Note: Please have some kind of CAG identification in your profile if you forget to add it in your FR. I always delete requests from randoms I've never spoken to and almost scrapped two from CAGs yesterday)[/QUOTE]
Just FR'ed you. I'll probably be on tonight a little bit after Walking Dead.

I really hate the 100 friend list limit, so stupid. I think we should get up to 50 per game or the ability to group our friends depending on which game, thus freeing up space on the overall list!

Anyways the Banshee fires off a slow burning energy ball right. The damn thing went through a wall and hit me! wtf

[quote name='Spybreak8']I really hate the 100 friend list limit, so stupid. I think we should get up to 50 per game or the ability to group our friends depending on which game, thus freeing up space on the overall list!

Anyways the Banshee fires off a slow burning energy ball right. The damn thing went through a wall and hit me! wtf[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought one of the reasons XBL was turned off on 360 was so they could increase the friends list, yeah ...

Amen Spy. I've been on bended knee praying for M$ to implement SOME type of half decent grouping system for years so I know exactly who plays what. Beacons are annoying, invasive, only pop up if you own the game and definitely won't cut it. I've lost count of how many people I've gotten rid of because we don't play anything together and I have no idea what games I met them from.

I had no idea Banshee Warps could phase through walls. Probably lag, but just one more reason to work on my evade game. I always seem to get hit with one bar of health and 50% or less shielding so I'm screwed if I don't use a survival pack. ;\

Ryu: I accepted your FR and I'm on now. Hit me up anytime you want. I'll probably be on until the next showing of Walking Dead.

[quote name='6er']I can't beat silver reapers. CAGs or randoms, no dice. It not worth one weapon IMO.[/QUOTE]

get on with the solid CAG team, we cleared Silver Reapers with 3 the other night.

[quote name='GUNNM']Perfectly understandable logic if this were the first game[/QUOTE]

I don't agree but to each his own. A game is not solely an ending. If I enjoyed over 100 hrs of Mass Effect trilogy, the supposed horrible ending only comprised less than 1% of that time.

Then again, I even liked the scanning in 2.

bread's done
Back