Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Most definitely. Biotic Explosions > Everything. I've never seen so many Banshees die that fast with such a minimal amount of effort required. Then again... Competent Players > Everything.

Found a 48hr code, been playing a few hours tonight to try and help unlock the packs for everyone by soloing as many Brutes as possible with my Krogan.

The during the final wave of the last game I played (Silver- Dagger), they spawned two Brutes and two Banshees right across from me near the extraction point.
Blasted all of them with my last missile. :cool:
The game didn't like that and started sending them again in groups of two when the rest of my squad got to the point.

We must have killed at least 12 of them if not more, plus an ass load of minor Reapers in those last few minutes.

Reminded me of those MMO beta tests where the devs throw everything at you before the servers go down.

From the ME FB page:

We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending.

We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive.

The best thing that came out of this drama besides the fantastic Marauder Shields meme is developers receiving a harsh but extremely important reminder - karma exists. Oh, and that taking your fanbase for granted will eventually come back to haunt you. Especially when you oversell your games and lie repeatedly in widely publicized interviews. Oops! [/Entitled Fan Response]

I don't get what all the hate is about. I just beat the game last night and some things I don't get but as long as the writers ended it how they wanted to end it I don's see what the issue is. Is it because
the game we have all been playing was just a story told to a child
?

I just beat it and I can see why everyone would bitch about it. They are pretty lazy but I am not going to go crazy over them because the ride up to it was super fun.

It sucks that I suck so much time over the course of 3 games to just end it like that especially this 3rd game which was by far the weakest of the 3 but whatever.

I also felt that there was only 1 real ending as the other ones seem to be going directly against everything you did through the entire series. So it was kinda confusing.

I went with control because at no point would it make sense to unite an entire galaxy just to murder half of them. Then the combo seem equally retarded. I am going to do exactly what reapers do and combo splice everyone whether they want it or not, my name is Shep not rick santorum.

The only thing I am super confused about is why the mass relays have to be destroyed but I figured they were built once they can be built again.

What the hell was that with the guy telling a story to his son or whatever?

To me that was the ending.
All of this was just a story told to a kid. Also I think that is why some of the questions were not answered and it ended up the way it was. If I remember the guy said things were forgotten over the years.
At least that is what I'm trying to tell myself. The last push to get to the ending was just to much. I had to say the hell with it and put it on the lowest difficulty just to beat the damn thing. Really wasn't worth it. The game felt like it was Mass Effect 2.5 to me and that you really were not going after the Reapers but Cerberus. The Reapers were just put in there to end the series.

First 2 games were great but this one just felt lacking, rushed and that multiplayer took the number 1 spot in development over the single player. I tend to wonder if the past 2 games would have been like they were had Bioware never had anything to do with EA. I'm really wondering that with this one.

EDIT: I thought I read a post form someone saying they put both discs up and will be playing only the multiplayer from now on. Can you play multiplayer with out a disc?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sendme']Is it because
?[/QUOTE]
"And then the fair maiden said to The Shepard, 'If this is about sex, just fuckin' say so.'"

"What did The Shepard do next, grandpa?"

"Well, my sweet... The Shepard tapped that tattooed ass."

"Awesome story grandpa!"

[quote name='sendme']I don't get what all the hate is about. I just beat the game last night and some things I don't get but as long as the writers ended it how they wanted to end it I don's see what the issue is. Is it because
?[/QUOTE]

This link is usually presented as a good primer for why many were dissatisfied with the ending.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
"And then the fair maiden said to The Shepard, 'If this is about sex, just fuckin' say so.'"

"What did The Shepard do next, grandpa?"

"Well, my sweet... The Shepard tapped that tattooed ass."

"Awesome story grandpa!"
[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha:rofl: Yeah for a mature game,
that kid
is getting a mature treat.

I decided to flip through my art book because I beat the game and wouldn't spoil anything.
Did any of you get that the child Sheppard sees on Earth REPRESENTS humanity on Earth? So says that in the art book...

I had hoped the child on Earth was your offspring, would make more sense, and would change depending on which species you got it on with. That's what I was hoping for Mass Effect 3, oh well.

Oh thought I'd share this article about Mass Effect and emotion:http://jtmgames.com/2012/03/18/emotion-and-mass-effect/

[quote name='Salamando3000']This link is usually presented as a good primer for why many were dissatisfied with the ending.[/QUOTE]

Excellent article.

The best mocking theory I can come up with for the ending now:

EA wants another game. Missed out on the cash of ME1 and want to milk their own trilogy. So, who's to say Shepard HAS to succeed at the end of ME3? What if that was all dream/death/hallucination? The Reapers could take up to a decade to harvest all life, and this was the end of Shepard's story. Next game, you lead what is left of the resistance against the Reapers. Your last save from ME3 calculates how strong the Reapers are and how strong your resistance force is. The cow keeps on milking.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Excellent article.

EA wants another game. Missed out on the cash of ME1 and want to milk their own trilogy. So, who's to say Shepard HAS to succeed at the end of ME3? What if that was all dream/death/hallucination? The Reapers could take up to a decade to harvest all life, and this was the end of Shepard's story. Next game, you lead what is left of the resistance against the Reapers. Your last save from ME3 calculates how strong the Reapers are and how strong your resistance force is. The cow keeps on milking.
[/QUOTE]
Would have been better to just slap a "To Be Continued" on the screen right after the scene with the Illusive Man. Whoops, sorry guys, did we say trilogy? It's actually a quadrilogy! Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion to Shepard's story in Mass Effect 4! :lol:

Sure, people would have been plenty pissed, but then, they're plenty pissed now, AND there seems to be little to no prospect for a sequel in the Mass Effect universe as we knew it.

I finally got the Hijacker achievement, but I had the toughest time with it. No matter what I did, the Atlas would always die outright before the glass broke. Had to experiment with different difficulties and weapons for a long time before something worked.

[quote name='sendme']To me that was the ending.
All of this was just a story told to a kid. Also I think that is why some of the questions were not answered and it ended up the way it was. If I remember the guy said things were forgotten over the years.
At least that is what I'm trying to tell myself. The last push to get to the ending was just to much. I had to say the hell with it and put it on the lowest difficulty just to beat the damn thing. Really wasn't worth it. The game felt like it was Mass Effect 2.5 to me and that you really were not going after the Reapers but Cerberus. The Reapers were just put in there to end the series.

First 2 games were great but this one just felt lacking, rushed and that multiplayer took the number 1 spot in development over the single player. I tend to wonder if the past 2 games would have been like they were had Bioware never had anything to do with EA. I'm really wondering that with this one.

EDIT: I thought I read a post form someone saying they put both discs up and will be playing only the multiplayer from now on. Can you play multiplayer with out a disc?[/QUOTE]

That sequence mainly did two things
1) show humanity survived in some capacity and 2) tease more games/DLC to come (okay, one more story...)

I guarantee people will get the reward for the Brute challenge. It's possible or probable they hit the goal, but even if they didn't meet the target they will give out the reward. They need good publicity in any way they can get it.

[quote name='theredworm']Wonder how many brutes were killed this weekend.[/QUOTE]

as long as it totals 1 million by the end date...I don't care.

[quote name='Anexanhume']That sequence mainly did two things
1) show humanity survived in some capacity and 2) tease more games/DLC to come (okay, one more story...)
[/QUOTE]

In that sense I could see Bioware doing a kind of prequel, while it's actually a sequel, where everyone is disconnected with the lack of Mass Relays now. Although that's highly unlikely though.

Well considering you'd probably have 3 to 6 Brutes a match, or was it less I wasn't keeping track, on Silver? I'm sure a lot of people played in the multiplayer event. Wonder if they'll give us stats later on.

Oh have you seen http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/18/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-strategy-videos-to-help-you-destroy-ev/
lolz (you probably know most of what's discussed as strategy in this video)

haha...3-6 per match? we get 3-6 per wave sometimes on silver. the online community will hit probably 3 million by tomorrow. which will be both good and bad. good that we hit the mark, bad letting EA probably set a higher challenge.

I would say 3-6 is a bit low for even bronze.

Ryu: Yes, I had trouble too. I didin't get it until the
attack on cerberus base with a mantis. Part of the trick is having enough other enemies to distract your squadmates.

Sorry about that silver match. Those guys were just randoms and I was dicking around with a vanguard to level quickly (on 48 hour gold pass). I'm sure we could have gotten it if I had been more careful. Hope you got it otherwise.

[quote name='100xp']haha...3-6 per match? we get 3-6 per wave sometimes on silver. the online community will hit probably 3 million by tomorrow. which will be both good and bad. good that we hit the mark, bad letting EA probably set a higher challenge.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. 3-6 in bronze maybe .

XP: Agreed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get both and I ended up with shit I'll actually use. I think after my Engineer and Vanguard playthroughs I'll be taking a long break from this game. If Raccoon City doesn't deliver then at least I'll have the Witcher 2 to fall back on. Not to mention the oh so sexy Bioshock Infinite.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ahahaha:rofl: Yeah for a mature game,
that kid
is getting a mature treat.

I decided to flip through my art book because I beat the game and wouldn't spoil anything.
Did any of you get that the child Sheppard sees on Earth REPRESENTS humanity on Earth? So says that in the art book...

I had hoped the child on Earth was your offspring, would make more sense, and would change depending on which species you got it on with. That's what I was hoping for Mass Effect 3, oh well.

Oh thought I'd share this article about Mass Effect and emotion:http://jtmgames.com/2012/03/18/emotion-and-mass-effect/[/QUOTE]

I knew the kid would have a large part to do with the game when I played the demo.
The kid at the end sounded like the kid in the story and the man sounded like The Illusive man.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Excellent article.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Anexanhume']That sequence mainly did two things
[/QUOTE]

Thats what I'm thinking. I just think that even Bioware now sees that the game would sell so they want to make as much cash off of it as they could. I have wondered all the way back to ME2 what the games would be like if they didn't have EA on the cover.

After thinking about the ending more I don't even know if I want to play the single player again. I know I will pretend ME3 never existed. I will at some point import my paragon male solder into ME2 and then at one point it into ME3 to see how it all links up. After that it will be a female renegade of another class. Once that is done it will be just the multiplayer from 3 and the first two games.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I would say 3-6 is a bit low for even bronze.[/QUOTE]

Well better to be wrong with a lower number than high in this case.;)

People are acting like there weren't any significant changes, or great experiences, from carrying over your Mass Effect 1 and 2 saves throughout ME3. That's not true in the least, as the campaign is very good always building to the pivotal climax. Sorry sendme, I'm not saying you per see, you just got me thinking of what's already being said on the internet by other gamers.

I had shared the sentiment as well initially when I went to go pick my 2nd playthrough profile as my Renegade FemShep but realized there's a lot of game still to be played here. It would be wasted, for me anyway, not to experience it again even though
we get the same ending with just different colors on the galactic map.
In my mind the ending doesn't spoil the game, contrary to popular belief of many gamers discussing this topic online.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']XP: Agreed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get both and I ended up with shit I'll actually use. I think after my Engineer and Vanguard playthroughs I'll be taking a long break from this game. If Raccoon City doesn't deliver then at least I'll have the Witcher 2 to fall back on. Not to mention the oh so sexy Bioshock Infinite.[/QUOTE]

you're a bioshock fan? i couldn't tell...lol

like we discussed the other night, the smg was really the only thing that was better or on par with the rest of the rare unlockable wpns. then there's 49+ more events to get the N7 wpns to level up to 10...should we be so lucky. I got more medi gell and rocket capacity the other night as well...that's right, I got 3 missiles for when all hell breaks loose at the extraction point.

Lucky bastard. I'd kill for more missles right now. Not to say I'm ungrateful for the shield and medi-gel upgrades of course. It's just... I'd trade them both in for more easy button ammo and A GOD DAMN QUARIAN INFILTRATOR. Ugh... they are my favorite race and I can't respec my Engineer (I just HAD to test out the turret's shock and cryo ammo - big mistake) without screwing everyone else up. I love my Salarian's color scheme and I'm too lazy to go through fixing everything up again. Not to mention the grind back to my original Decoy build. Nahhhhh... screw that shit. I'm straight.

[quote name='100xp']like we discussed the other night, the smg was really the only thing that was better or on par with the rest of the rare unlockable wpns.[/QUOTE]
What about the N7 Valiant? Seems like it compares favorably to most sniper rifles in the game, including arguably the Black Widow.

Any of you guys rocking gold consistently in MP? I'm pretty confident in my silver abilities as a Drell Adept, Krogan Sentinel, and Salarian Engineer. My highest wave in gold is 7 though. I'm wondering if there are any groups around that might be down for helping me graduate into the big leagues. Lemme know!

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Lucky bastard. I'd kill for more missles right now. Not to say I'm ungrateful for the shield and medi-gel upgrades of course. It's just... I'd trade them both in for more easy button ammo and A GOD DAMN QUARIAN INFILTRATOR. Ugh... they are my favorite race and I can't respec my Engineer (I just HAD to test out the turret's shock and cryo ammo - big mistake) without screwing everyone else up. I love my Salarian's color scheme and I'm too lazy to go through fixing everything up again. Not to mention the grind back to my original Decoy build. Nahhhhh... screw that shit. I'm straight.[/QUOTE]

I haven't unlocked the krogan soldier either...the krogan sentinal is fun but the urge to rage and jump into melee is counter productive in gold difficulty. Best saved for when the phantoms and centurions break through and everyone is trying to revive the next person.

I got a respec card as well, dangerous...as pressing the (Y) button will respec your character, while leveling it's very possible to accidently waste it vs. "undo" I like the ability to respec, but leveling is so quick and easy that just promoting seems better sometimes. I'd rather have gotten something else I didn't have already instead.

I tried both sentry specs and they work very well...just one works a lot less in silver and gold. I think if we built characters based on combinations bonuses, AoE, and duration etc the team as a whole would be much more effective. I've been doing that when i've promoted and so far it's had good results.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']What about the N7 Valiant? Seems like it compares favorably to most sniper rifles in the game, including arguably the Black Widow.[/QUOTE]

i haven't used the Valiant yet so I really don't know how it compares to the widow and I haven't unlocked the black widow or javelin yet.

Ugh... why can't we TRADE in this game? I rarely use BOTH of my Krogans. I'd would have happily traded one of them for that respec card. -_-'

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Ugh... why can't we TRADE in this game? I rarely use BOTH of my Krogans. I'd would have happily traded one of them for that respec card. -_-'[/QUOTE]

im fine with no trading...w/e the servers as unstable as they are at times, there would be more items lost in translation than it would make it worth while. there's already all the MP progress and packs that deleted themselves while ppl were shopping during MP.

here's the other thing about trading, when you X a wpn, I don't want some undeserving kid who didn't put in the hours or ms points into getting it...then complain or gloat at how much it sucks.

Edit: Also, if there was trading the replayability of the MP part of the game would be much less...most of us play to get credits to buy packs to unlock wpns and race/classes so we can use better equipment to play on harder difficulty levels to earn more credits.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']What about the N7 Valiant? Seems like it compares favorably to most sniper rifles in the game, including arguably the Black Widow.[/QUOTE]

This was the main sniper rifle I used in the beginning after unlocking it with the CE in the campaign. This and the Incisor are a couple of my favorites.

My article is live, take a look if you want: Does a disappointing ending make a game bad?

[quote name='Spybreak8']Well better to be wrong with a lower number than high in this case.;)

People are acting like there weren't any significant changes, or great experiences, from carrying over your Mass Effect 1 and 2 saves throughout ME3. That's not true in the least, as the campaign is very good always building to the pivotal climax. Sorry sendme, I'm not saying you per see, you just got me thinking of what's already being said on the internet by other gamers.

I had shared the sentiment as well initially when I went to go pick my 2nd playthrough profile as my Renegade FemShep but realized there's a lot of game still to be played here. It would be wasted, for me anyway, not to experience it again even though
we get the same ending with just different colors on the galactic map.
In my mind the ending doesn't spoil the game, contrary to popular belief of many gamers discussing this topic online.[/QUOTE]

I plan to port them over however that wont be for some time. I plan on having a max level character and allies with all the best armor. So I will have to play Mass Effect multiple times due to the one set of DLC. After that I would start on ME2. With ME2 it would just be till I max out the character and paragon or renegade. So by the time I get to ME3's single player again it will be some time and I may have forgot how the ending is. I would think the game would be better with the continuation of the character you started in the first ME. Other than why I have yet to transfer my character from ME over to ME2 and then to ME3 I don't see why someone would not do so. Hell even the reason I have not done so yet is stupid.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Any of you guys rocking gold consistently in MP? I'm pretty confident in my silver abilities as a Drell Adept, Krogan Sentinel, and Salarian Engineer. My highest wave in gold is 7 though. I'm wondering if there are any groups around that might be down for helping me graduate into the big leagues. Lemme know![/QUOTE]

I run through gold a few times a night, feel free to join me regardless of your level. it's actually not that bad of a transition just ask 100xp ;)

[quote name='gotdott']I run through gold a few times a night, feel free to join me regardless of your level. it's actually not that bad of a transition just ask 100xp ;)[/QUOTE]

yeah, you guys for the most part have a decent sense of humor and phantom awareness. ;)

...but I'm also a decent player and use equipment. :p

I heard you guys like speculation, so I brought lots of speculation for everybody!
1332067060748.png

[quote name='100xp']yeah, you guys for the most part have a decent sense of humor and phantom awareness. ;)

...but I'm also a decent player and use equipment. :p[/QUOTE]

If I didn't hear "phantom" at least once every 15 seconds I got worried.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I heard you guys like speculation, so I brought lots of speculation for everybody!
1332067060748.png
[/QUOTE]

SpeculationforEveryone1.jpg

EaLpY.jpg

e1f43319fc5906b6445833c2f20f797f.jpg

[quote name='Anexanhume']If I didn't hear "phantom" at least once every 15 seconds I got worried.[/QUOTE]

So...if you thought the landing pad on firebase white was bad, there's that map firebase reactor where basically two sets of four phantoms drop down from the ceiling right next to the extraction zone. It literally rains phantoms lol.

[quote name='100xp']yeah, you guys for the most part have a decent sense of humor and phantom awareness. ;)

Haha I realized how whenever one of us goes down we laugh and give each other crap, but when a random goes down we go ugh should have booted..what a double standard :lol:

Haha I realized how whenever one of us goes down we laugh and give each other crap, but when a random goes down we go ugh should have booted..what a double standard :lol:

Some guy was talking smack to us but we carried him through a gold and then he went quiet and played 3 more with us before he sent me a message apologizing and left.

[quote name='Anexanhume']If I didn't hear "phantom" at least once every 15 seconds I got worried.

SpeculationforEveryone1.jpg

EaLpY.jpg

e1f43319fc5906b6445833c2f20f797f.jpg
[/QUOTE]
287.jpg

@gotdott - we're elitists that's why. haha...plus none of the randoms were using mics and even less of them were using equipment...oh wait there was that one guy who used a sniper amp II w/his SMG.

I gave the drell adept the drell assassin speed boost spec unlock. I can't play any other race now, he moves so fast...it's like the same speed as someone running almost while he's walking. curse his crappy barrier hps though.

The more I read about what staff at Bioware has said at various junctures, the more convinced I am that they had absolutely no idea how to end the series. It's crazy to think that they would market a trilogy of games with a grand narrative arc and not have some idea of how they wanted it to end, but pulled "Speculation!" out of their ass when they couldn't design a good ending. Such a lazy writing cop out, and there's so much wrong with it from a writing perspective. Ugh.

I really liked this game until that last 15 minutes.

Mannnnnn.

I think the staff at BioWare were Indoctrinated by EA. Hell Mass Effect might be some sort of story about BioWare being bought by EA.

I won't post any spoilers below but the threads I've linked has spoilers for the ending of ME3 so don't read them if you haven't finished the game!

I found the following analysis of the ME3 ending to be spot on (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10022779/1). It's written by a screen writer and I found it fascinating to see someone explain many of the things that annoyed me with the ending so well.

It's also worth reading the long thread about the Final hours of ME3 (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9999272/1) . This is not a spoiler of the game but the possible intent of Bioware...
where it seems like the ending was more or less made to be a "discussion base" to generate more buzz around the game. (Well, they got a lot of people talking at least. ;-) )

I look forward to hearing this topic being discussed in coming spoiler sections on the Cagcast. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
287.jpg
[/QUOTE]

WIN

Also the thing that I had in the back of my head while playing ME3 (not a spoiler, used to conserve space).
me3cannotbeunseen.jpg

bread's done
Back