Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

[quote name='Vinny']I completely agree with you. I've already seen it. And it's already ruined for me. I can't imagine them being able to fix this in any way... even using the Dallas ("it was all a dream!") route.

But I honestly can't think of any other outcry that made a developer take back their own bullshit and admit that they fucked up and will try to fix it... which I also find to be complete bullshit- EA will just milk DLC until people give up and BioWare is shut down (yes, BioWare will be shut down going by EA's track record).[/QUOTE]

Bioware hasn't really admitted anything wrong. Saying 'here's the Epilogue because of X, Y or Z' could calm some people's nerves but not all. A solution that looked planned from the get go makes them look better, but not completely, depending on how long it takes them to get it out. If they charge for it though, all bets are off.

If you have Shepard live (which by the way I think is a bad idea) and having someone who got out of the Normandy pull him/her out of the rubble would confirm the Indoctrination Theory easily. But it wouldn't explain why perhaps an extra 15 seconds of CG caused such a mess. As is, there's no closure, despite how easily it could've been done.

Personally, I think the inherent problem of the ending lies
in the final choice you make. Call me crazy, but I think at that point the game should make your choice for you based on the actions you've made up to that point based on your choices throughout ME1, ME2 and ME3. I don't know if they could do that or not, but it'd at least show your choices up until that point mattered.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Salamando3000']Dream ending? No no, around here we have the Indoctrination theory. If you're not familiar with it,
it states that everything that happened to Shep once she got blasted with Harbinger's laser happened in her head. The entire citadel scene is Shep trying to overcome the effects of the reaper's indoctrination. The final choice of Destroy corresponds to her breaking free of their control, whereas the other two have Shep becoming giving in.
Yeah, it's still not an ending, just a convenient "out" to allow Bioware to do another ending.

The most depressing thing about ME3 - consider the amount of time Bioware spent putting Chobot in the game as a character no one really asked for...and then consider the amount of time Bioware put into editing a stock image for Tali's face.[/QUOTE]

I had to look that up for more info. It sounds pretty plausible (though equally insufficient as an ending) but it honestly seems like nothing more than a coincidence to me (and maybe a bit of fan delirium).

Considering the backlash they got, if BioWare did do it intentionally, I think they would say something along the lines of "the fans missed a key element in the ending" a long time ago. They didn't... instead they first said "we're pound of our work", then "the reviews are really good", then "we're listening to the fans", and now "ok, fine... we'll do something about it even though we don't really want to".

I could be (and probably am) wrong though since I'm late to the party and didn't follow all of their PR/damage control.

And yeah, I don't get why the fuck they put Chobot in. Then again, wasn't she the one that got a job at IGN for licking the PSP? I think I can put two and two together as to how she ended up being in ME3.

I will say this...Chobot had the phattest ass in all of gamedom. I have never seen her backside in real life but man did they play it up on the game.

Finished my Insanity playthrough and cheesemint hunt.
Kai Leng and the Missile Defense weren't that bad, Maurader Shields was a pain in the ass though.

Liara is gonna have some explaining to do when my Cyborg Shepard catches up with her after a few hundred years.
Took her into the final battle, then she ditched him and hopped on the Normandy with Joker.

Do what I did, give up on the ME franchise.

Chose instead the more superior route of gaming and storytelling in videogames.

Join us in Dark/Demons souls.

Some of us like not being punished while playing games Joe. :)

Even From Software isn't above cash grabs Joe (ditching Atlus to take Namco/Bandai's publishing money and having a crappy CE to boot.)

Embrace the shotgun, XP. Embraaaace.

Also, in regards to the endgame on Insanity:
I feel like I seriously missed something with Marauder Shields. What exactly is it that makes him so difficult? I waltzed right through him, gun half-heartedly blazing.

UUUGHGHGHGHUGHUGHHGH.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Some of us like not being punished while playing games Joe. :)

Even From Software isn't above cash grabs Joe (ditching Atlus to take Namco/Bandai's publishing money and having a crappy CE to boot.)[/QUOTE]

To me it was the best decision they made, Having Demons Souls secluded to one system is pretty limiting, even though it's one of the PS3's and atlus's best sellers it seemed like it would have greatly benifitted from multiplatform release like most games.

Dark Souls CE was more of Namco's fault than anything, Atlus always has great CE bonuses with unique stuff, Namco really didn't know what to do so they just threw something together, besides the ME3 one isnt any better :roll:

At least the Dark souls CE was regular priced like the regular edition and not more :cool:

Speaking of ending changes for games:

http://kotaku.com/5897787/please-change-the-endings-of-these-video-games

And for this thread:

Mass Effect 3

How it ended: The ending to Mass Effect 3 involves vast amounts of energy spreading throughout the galaxy via the Mass Relays.
How it should've ended: Instead of energy, it should be Skittles, with Skittles explosions erupting at each Relay. Then we find out the entire Mass Effect series was just another entry in the long line of those weird-as-f*ck Skittles commercials.

[quote name='joe2187']To me it was the best decision they made, Having Demons Souls secluded to one system is pretty limiting, even though it's one of the PS3's and atlus's best sellers it seemed like it would have greatly benifitted from multiplatform release like most games.

Dark Souls CE was more of Namco's fault than anything, Atlus always has great CE bonuses with unique stuff, Namco really didn't know what to do so they just threw something together, besides the ME3 one isnt any better :roll:

At least the Dark souls CE was regular priced like the regular edition and not more :cool:[/QUOTE]

Only thing about the Dark Souls tin was that at least there's a normal sized case in there to put on the shelf. They got that right while ME 1, Gears 1, both Batman CE's, Deus Ex, and Skyrim didn't.

But I'll take all the full soundtrack, extra weapons, avatar prop, artbook, comic book, better tin, and included awesome DLC for a little bit more.

[quote name='joe2187']To me it was the best decision they made, Having Demons Souls secluded to one system is pretty limiting, even though it's one of the PS3's and atlus's best sellers it seemed like it would have greatly benifitted from multiplatform release like most games.

At least the Dark souls CE was regular priced like the regular edition and not more :cool:[/QUOTE]

Atlus does multi-platform releases now (see Catherine, KoF) so I think they could have easily did that for the sequel to their best selling game ever.

I just think From Software did them dirty, that's all.

Anyone down for some MP right now? Really trying to increase my GR quick, and would love to play with some CAG's! Send a request to Mr Dude65!

[quote name='shrike4242']Speaking of ending changes for games:

http://kotaku.com/5897787/please-change-the-endings-of-these-video-games

And for this thread:

Mass Effect 3

How it ended: The ending to Mass Effect 3 involves vast amounts of energy spreading throughout the galaxy via the Mass Relays.
How it should've ended: Instead of energy, it should be Skittles, with Skittles explosions erupting at each Relay. Then we find out the entire Mass Effect series was just another entry in the long line of those weird-as-f*ck Skittles commercials.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah lol now that would make total sense.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Embrace the shotgun, XP. Embraaaace.

Also, in regards to the endgame on Insanity:
I feel like I seriously missed something with Marauder Shields. What exactly is it that makes him so difficult? I waltzed right through him, gun half-heartedly blazing.

UUUGHGHGHGHUGHUGHHGH.[/QUOTE]

when i promote the infiltrator ill make a claymore toting human...who will run around and smack @#$%'s with some fat rounds. sadly, i'd much prefer a 2H omni claymore sword...hopefully the dmg output doesn't disappoint.

Honestly, I bet the damage increase coming out of cloak with a Claymore is insane. I've seen a few pretty legit shotgun infiltrators, but only tried it once. I'm not good at it.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Honestly, I bet the damage increase coming out of cloak with a Claymore is insane. I've seen a few pretty legit shotgun infiltrators, but only tried it once. I'm not good at it.[/QUOTE]

It is (especially when you factor in headshots) and with XP almost toting a Claymore X he's going to be pissing off a lot of randoms. I guarantee it.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']It is (especially when you factor in headshots) and with XP almost toting a Claymore X he's going to be pissing off a lot of randoms. I guarantee it.[/QUOTE]

I piss off randoms constantly...geth pulse rifle with incindy ammo and marksmanship, widow w/cloak, biotic explosions, I suppose I should find new ways to do so daily.

...now if they'll finally give me the krogan soldier card.

shepreap.jpg

I was thinking earlyer today about that thread that is being posted all over the place. Anyone ever wonder if someone from BioWare or EA read that 2 years and that is where they came up with the ending from.

Finished last night, had to read through and watch a crap load of stuff today, but boy, the ending sucked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

That video has me hating the ending even more, if possible. Is Bioware seriously that dumb to overlook so many plotholes? It makes me think something is planned, and if it is, that's still BS, because they're just suckering us for more money, and even if the DLC is free, WHY THE HELL DID THEY WAIT SO LONG AND WHY ARE WE WAITING IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Yeah, and I'm kinda mad I picked synthesis, like, what the hell was I thinking? How is DLC gonna work if one gave into "indoctrination"? I'M SO FREAKING CONFUSED I WANNA CRY! WHERE THE HELL IS GARRUS? THE MOST BADASS VIDEO GAME CHARACTER EVER AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE IS!!!!!

The Krogan soldier is a laugh riot. I was kind of getting bored of the MP and was gonna wait for some DLC, but it's a complete joy just running around and ramming everything, especially when you start to rage and take out fully shieled enemies with one heavy melee attack.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The Krogan soldier is a laugh riot. I was kind of getting bored of the MP and was gonna wait for some DLC, but it's a complete joy just running around and ramming everything, especially when you start to rage and take out fully shieled enemies with one heavy melee attack.[/QUOTE]

A whole team of Krogan is even better.

I just got the Krogan soldier last night. I have yet to play it because I have been playing other classes I have yet to use. When I was on last night it seemed like in the one group the next game someone would use the last class I did. If I didn't have people doing that then it was everyone was just out for points and no revives. I would be down and have the other 3 next to me and nothing. Everyone would split up and go for kills. Hell in one game no one went for any of the devices till time was almost half gone then I went for them. One person was next to the damn thing and then ran off.

This just ices the cake for me.

"The angry letter-scrawlers in their bedrooms are no longer isolated - they're connected to fellow sociopaths around the world, convinced of their absolute entitlement and the worthiness of their cause"
Actual quote from article http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-30-fanning-the-flames

This is why the phrase "gaming journalist" is a fucking joke. A joke. This is nothing more than the loudest jerkoffs with a platform to troll or be manipulated by the gaming companies they do not dare speak ill of. Differentiating opinions are great, but this is pure slander. I hope EA and Capcom run into a brick wall of angry consumers voting with their wallets. I know I will be.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']This just ices the cake for me.

"The angry letter-scrawlers in their bedrooms are no longer isolated - they're connected to fellow sociopaths around the world, convinced of their absolute entitlement and the worthiness of their cause"
Actual quote from article http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-30-fanning-the-flames[/QUOTE]
I've seen all kinds of opinions both ways, and that's cool, but it's kind of bizarre and scary how hysterical the Kotaku writers are in their attacks on BioWare fans. Makes you wonder what they think their stake in this is.

[quote name='KrizB']Not really ME3 releated and it's all speculation but;
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Viral-Marketing-Exposed-Big-Buyout-Horizon-40885.html

Almost a billion dollars in advertisng, some of it viral.
Wouldn't be surprised if some journalists were slipped a few bills/gifts here and there to try and smooth things over when the heat is on for any game.[/QUOTE]

Between that and the last article I posted, I wonder how much cross-pollination there is between marketers and gaming journalists. After all, and IGN employee is in ME3 and they are supposed to be fair and non-biased?

I'm going for my Insanity playthrough, did the beginning and now Javik's mission on Eden Prime. It's so well-produced I keep getting that feeling like it's building towards an epic ending. Credit to the game for being able to give that level of cinematic quality. Depressing.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']It's so well-produced I keep getting that feeling like it's building towards an epic ending. Credit to the game for being able to give that level of cinematic quality. Depressing.[/QUOTE]
I would have even taken the cliche Hollywood ending where
the Crucible disables the Reapers' shields ID4-style, Hackett and the fleets blow them all up, Anderson slaps Shepard on the back and they all ride off into the sunset to rebuild their home planets. Sure it would have been a little trite and cheesy, but these writers could have pulled it off in five minutes in their sleep. But then I guess we wouldn't have Lots of Speculation from Everyone.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I would have even taken the cliche Hollywood ending where
the Crucible disables the Reapers' shields ID4-style, Hackett and the fleets blow them all up, Anderson slaps Shepard on the back and they all ride off into the sunset to rebuild their home planets. Sure it would have been a little trite and cheesy, but these writers could have pulled it off in five minutes in their sleep. But then I guess we wouldn't have Lots of Speculation from Everyone.
[/QUOTE]

I would have hated that ending so much more than the current ending

[quote name='MSUHitman']That's essentially the Gears 3 ending and I would be fine with that.[/QUOTE]

Lol agreed, Epic is another dev who knows how to do cinematic quality and has likable characters.

Anyone know if there's something special going on in multiplayer this weekend?

I haven't played in a week since I'm trying to get some of the games I've started completed (so I can work on that backlog).

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Anyone know if there's something special going on in multiplayer this weekend?

I haven't played in a week since I'm trying to get some of the games I've started completed (so I can work on that backlog).[/QUOTE]

Promote 2 characters for a commendation pack

Loved the ending - wasn't expecting to after all the hubbub.

Robots/machines/synthetics rising up against their creators has been around for nearly 100 years (probably more) starting carl capek and rossum's universal robots play from the early 20s (about class/slave struggles). I've been using the concept of creation and creator cannot coexist in my artwork for nearly 20 years myself. I chose synthesis because I've dreamed of that concept for a long time - heck my MA thesis revolved around it ( I guess you could say my MFA thesis did too in a more refined/abstract way (post-synthesis?). To me it seems like the best path forward for life. I was completely satisfied with the ending. (but I also reconciled and was ultimately pleased with the LOST ending and I know there were lots of people conflicted and disappointed about that ending too.) I can understand being upset about there not being true multiple endings but this is the end of the series - the ending for me needed to be finite. To me - much of the multiple ending info is left to the gamers imagination. I've read/watched a bit about indoctrination theory but I just don't see synthesis as "bad" - it's not just combining reaper - but all synthetic - geth, edi, and so on. Seeing Edi and Joker (new adam and eve) at the end is pretty neat.

[quote name='bordjon']Loved the ending - wasn't expecting to after all the hubbub.

Robots/machines/synthetics rising up against their creators has been around for nearly 100 years (probably more) starting carl capek and rossum's universal robots play from the early 20s (about class/slave struggles). I've been using the concept of creation and creator cannot coexist in my artwork for nearly 20 years myself. I chose synthesis because I've dreamed of that concept for a long time - heck my MA thesis revolved around it ( I guess you could say my MFA thesis did too in a more refined/abstract way (post-synthesis?). To me it seems like the best path forward for life. I was completely satisfied with the ending. (but I also reconciled and was ultimately pleased with the LOST ending and I know there were lots of people conflicted and disappointed about that ending too.) I can understand being upset about there not being true multiple endings but this is the end of the series - the ending for me needed to be finite. To me - much of the multiple ending info is left to the gamers imagination. I've read/watched a bit about indoctrination theory but I just don't see synthesis as "bad" - it's not just combining reaper - but all synthetic - geth, edi, and so on. Seeing Edi and Joker (new adam and eve) at the end is pretty neat.
[/QUOTE]

I guess you just sided with Sarren, congrats.

Ah one multiplayer character, Sentinel, promoted, now working on my Adept, enjoying the biotic combos.:bouncy:

[quote name='bordjon']Loved the ending - wasn't expecting to after all the hubbub.

[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is that it's not vague enough to leave it to interpretation, The last 10 mins of the game basically lay it as it is, The star child (which is my biggest problem with the ending) is a two dimensional character that breaks down all the mystery and wonder that the series had built up in three minutes of some of the most retarded reasoning for genocide in history. That's the reason people are angry, the endings being 95% of the same is also another reason, we've come to expect from the series at least a tiny bit of closure on the outcomes of all our hardwork, and we are given 3 awful generic endings with nothing to show for it but joker macking with your girl.

after having 24 hrs or so to let the ending settle in -

I could honestly reconcile with any of the three endings. I guess the futurist/frontierist (ism) in me wants what I perceive to be the fastest route to evolution and the fastest way to progress knowledge and I guess I see synthesis as that path. Though over the past ten years I've been slowly (very slowly) moving away from that "need for speed" - who's to say we are in any rush. I guess though I just see the control and destroy options as being a slower move forward than synthesis. The "cyclic" discussion from star child regarding the destroy option makes it seem a bit like organics would be caught in an evolutionary loop.

My synthesis ending had EDI and Joker (adam and eve) walk out but then my LI Liara walked out after them. She was in my squad when "everyone" died which certainly seems to support the indoctrination theory. All it needed was some white horses running through the fields to say "it was all a dream." The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Bioware is planting or pushing the indoctrination stuff. Can't wait 'til we get some more dlc - and I too hope it's free!

Oh man I promoted my lvl 20 Adept and started with my lvl 1 Krogan Sentinel with a group of team work centric randoms. Shot from level 1 to level 6 in the first match, up to level 10 after that lol. Loving the rage and head butt gameplay.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Oh man I promoted my lvl 20 Adept and started with my lvl 1 Krogan Sentinel with a group of team work centric randoms. Shot from level 1 to level 6 in the first match, up to level 10 after that lol. Loving the rage and head butt gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I love playing as Krogans because of the headbutting they have as a melee and the little laugh they do.

And their little tails as they run. :lol:

I'll be getting on a bit later tonight if anyone wishes to play.

bread's done
Back