Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

I'm not sure why everyone is convinced this EDI dialog is related to DC and not some other DLC, but eh... we're speculating so I'm sure BioWare is pleased.

As for spoiler etiquette, well, it's called common f*cking sense and courtesy for your fellow man/woman vs. being a lazy jackass. It only takes a couple of extra seconds to type out a spoiler tag code so is it really THAT big of a deal? It's there for a reason and I know plenty of popular boards/communities that STILL don't implement it.

Save yourself the trouble of getting harassed for being selfish and use it unless/until the OP states it's cool to do without. Then you can direct all haters back to the post nearly everyone ignores (but shouldn't).

That's a really good point on the additional dialogue being recorded. It could very be for DLC that takes place during the main game. Gotta admit, I'm kinda bummed. I like the narration idea. But I'll take whatever bioware puts out.

my threoy on EDI's dialogue being tied to the extended cuts DLC is
her being a unique example of a synthetic, in a sense more evolved than the geth, legion, and what is explained in the endings. so a narrative from an unshackled, and somewhat unbias pov would seem logical. She's been through a lot and probably has a lot to say after all the radical changes. Otherewise, so long as it's VO for DLC playable or just cut scenes I'm all for it.

MP - the beauty of the batarians was embraced last night. I'll be on tonightz to slap some phantoms.

so i forgot i had the preorder argus rifle, i'm going to say it's probably good in casual mode but on insanity...it feel like the incisor in AR form. pure garbage, like a vindicator with more kick back...maybe if i was turian it would be better. aimrite?

[quote name='Freemason']i think i broke the Bioware store trying to buy the new Prothean and Anderson lithos... :([/QUOTE]

fffuuuuuuuuggggg.. 50 minutes to place an order, they decide to go live with their new web system the day the release two new lithos... very smart.

[quote name='gotdott']realized that actually i wont have time to play any this weekend since im graduating so good luck with dat phantom rain guys ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, buddy! We'll falcon punch a few for you.

XP, you ready?
niplc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='100xp']so i forgot i had the preorder argus rifle, i'm going to say it's probably good in casual mode but on insanity...it feel like the incisor in AR form. pure garbage, like a vindicator with more kick back...maybe if i was turian it would be better. aimrite?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, aside from the cool sound it makes it's basically a Vindicator but worse in every way. Kind of a missed opportunity there.

I didn't even consider the possibility that Tricia Helfer would be called in for an EDI-centric single player mission DLC that's separate from the Extended Cut, but I like that idea even better!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, aside from the cool sound it makes it's basically a Vindicator but worse in every way. Kind of a missed opportunity there.

I didn't even consider the possibility that Tricia Helfer would be called in for an EDI-centric single player mission DLC that's separate from the Extended Cut, but I like that idea even better![/QUOTE]

i like the idea of an EDI-centric DLC mission, but I hope it's not like the geth interface. though we're all probably at the point any ME3 additions are welcome.

@ - IanK, that clip is pretty epic. it could only be better if that was kai lang's head. even though that guy's character design is pretty badass. (geeze, talk about hammering in the spikes)

[quote name='100xp']@ - IanK, that clip is pretty epic. it could only be better if that was kai lang's head. even though that guy's character design is pretty badass. (geeze, talk about hammering in the spikes)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I keep thinking about trying to make my Batsoldier actually look cool, but his current neon vomit green/pink scheme is too hard to let go of.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Yeah, I keep thinking about trying to make my Batsoldier actually look cool, but his current neon vomit green/pink scheme is too hard to let go of.[/QUOTE]

the last thing the enemy should see is a glowing omni fist and vomit green/pink anyway.

(the b_blades even explode after the phantom's head popped)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I'm not sure why everyone is convinced this EDI dialog is related to DC and not some other DLC, but eh... we're speculating so I'm sure BioWare is pleased.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet it's for the EC. BioWare said they're shifting all DLC focus to it. I know, I know... I'm trusting their word here, but I think they want to try to put out this fire as soon as they can.

Even so, new dialog from a squadmate is a pretty big deal for DLC, I think. The previous games just had your squad going mute with no new dialog in all of it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, aside from the cool sound it makes it's basically a Vindicator but worse in every way. Kind of a missed opportunity there.

I didn't even consider the possibility that Tricia Helfer would be called in for an EDI-centric single player mission DLC that's separate from the Extended Cut, but I like that idea even better![/QUOTE]

I was really hoping it'd be like the Valkyrie. If you aim that in the right place (usually chest area), the second shot almost always pops the head.

Did anyone else completely abandon the game after hearing how horrible the endings were?

I play on PC and the fact that the endings are apparently absolutely atrocious along with the fact that I Origin is a broken piece of shit (I can't download DLC or redeem codes through it). I've pretty much decided to wait and play it later when the extended cut and all the other DLC is released.

Definitely seems to be a game where I wish I would have held out for the GOTY edition, but who the hell could have seen this coming with this game? Oh well!

I started playing the game just as the fan reaction was getting really loud, and I was still expecting to like the ending. Figured there was something that most people just didn't get.

But as it turned out, yeah, it was worse than that time I got caught in a hail storm in my underwear.

Like I've said, I plan to do a couple more playthroughs of the game. But I also plan to stop the game right after Marauder Shields and let my head fill in the ending proper-like.

I've little faith in the "extended cut" DLC.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Did anyone else completely abandon the game after hearing how horrible the endings were?

I play on PC and the fact that the endings are apparently absolutely atrocious along with the fact that I Origin is a broken piece of shit (I can't download DLC or redeem codes through it). I've pretty much decided to wait and play it later when the extended cut and all the other DLC is released.

Definitely seems to be a game where I wish I would have held out for the GOTY edition, but who the hell could have seen this coming with this game? Oh well![/QUOTE]

Definitely not. I enjoyed the 95% of pure awesomeness this game was. The MP provided time well spent too.

Old Yeller:

After all the hate Grunt got for just being a "regular krogan", that moment is, for me, the most badass in ME3 for me. Krogan? Sure. Tank bred? Sure. But who's his Battlemaster? SHEPARD IS.

"Regular"? HELL NO.

Like many (or few, don't really care too much) have said, 10 minutes can't ruin the other excellent 30ish hours.

It's the journey not the destination. And it sure has been one HELL of a great journey. Nothing can take that away.

Yeah EDI seems like a good character to explain what happened or what's happening since that was her role previously. That or Anderson yet Anderson well you know.
you know since he's dead ;(

[quote name='dualedge2']Old Yeller:

After all the hate Grunt got for just being a "regular krogan", that moment is, for me, the most badass in ME3 for me. Krogan? Sure. Tank bred? Sure. But who's his Battlemaster? SHEPARD IS.

"Regular"? HELL NO.

Like many (or few, don't really care too much) have said, 10 minutes can't ruin the other excellent 30ish hours.

It's the journey not the destination. And it sure has been one HELL of a great journey. Nothing can take that away.[/QUOTE]Agreed. That sequence was a very bad-ass ending to that whole mission, which was pretty bad-ass to begin with.

Some of it's been a little WTF-ish (DA2-style fetch quests of "I have this, you might find it useful"), though it's been pretty impressive with what I've gone through, ending notwithstanding.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']G33 & Dopa - Sent FR to both of you. My Weekends are usually locked in due to work so I'll only be on between early mornings till 3 pm and after midnight (EST). Since these events always start on Fridays that's when I usually make a few runs so let me know when you two are available.[/QUOTE]

I'll be on around midnight tonight. If we can get a group together for Gold, that'd be great :)

[quote name='IanKazimer']Just had to look this scene up again. So good. Got me all misty on my first playthrough.

Seriously, spoiler.

When that son of my bitch Old Yeller'd me away from danger, my stomach dropped into my shoes. I was gonna be so pissed if he died.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9z2TkVNWlM
[/QUOTE]

I don't remember that last part. Maybe I just missed it.

[quote name='sendme']I don't remember that last part. Maybe I just missed it.[/QUOTE]
I think it's possible for
Grunt to die instead of making it out at the end. Maybe if he wasn't loyal from ME2?

I'm on right now if anyone is interested in banging out a guaranteed Gold for their Commendation Pack. I'm good for a couple of games because I want to get that XBL Reward Promotion done asap, but I'll be on tomorrow and Sunday as well.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Did anyone else completely abandon the game after hearing how horrible the endings were?

Definitely seems to be a game where I wish I would have held out for the GOTY edition, but who the hell could have seen this coming with this game? Oh well![/QUOTE]

DO NOT rob yourself of the experience of ME3 despite the endings no mater how you feel about them. As stated, the journey, be it the graphics, the narrative, the characters, the culminating journey of MANY touching and genuinely genius moments in this game, ESPECIALLY if you are a fan at all of the series, should NOT be missed.

So, I couldn't sleep after trying for some gold runs with Simosaurus and Spybreaker, so I jumped back into my Insanity run. Finally, 1050/1050 achievements on my favorite game of all time. \\:D/

:whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee:
That was some intense shit man. The banshee/brute battle at the end wasn't so bad. Never thought I'd say that about taking on all those brutes and banshee. The toughest part towards the end...and I know I will face public mockery for this....was that mother fucking Marauder Shields!! That son of a bitch! He was hard to get by on Insanity! But I made it. I tell you what, though, that very end scene gets me every time. Hearing Buzz Aldrin as the Stargazer and when the child says "tell me another story about the shepherd." it nearly moves me to tears. Love that scene. I know a lot of people bitch about the end, but if you've been with the series from day one, you can't deny some of the emotional aspects like that.

on a collectors note, if anyone is wanting a Legion Action figure for business or play, go get them now or look overseas, US supplies have seemingly vanished overnight. I had to import mine from having it in my cart on amazon to it being gone there and out on the bioware store within hours. eBay is offering some for around $28 and going up.

[quote name='Freemason']on a collectors note, if anyone is wanting a Legion Action figure for business or play, go get them now or look overseas, US supplies have seemingly vanished overnight. I had to import mine from having it in my cart on amazon to it being gone there and out on the bioware store within hours. eBay is offering some for around $28 and going up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! Need to get Garrus and legion quick.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Can't stand that scene. It struck me as... cynical and condescending. All I hear from those two is, "Don't forget to buy our DLC!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU
[/QUOTE]

This, plus, I really don't give a shit about this random guy and his resized adult model child. I cured the genophage because I cared about Wrex. I brought peace between the quarians and the geth because I cared about Tali and Legion. I stopped the Reapers because I cared about THIS cycle. Where is the closure? Landing on a random planet somehow and smiling doesn't cut it. A guy talking to his kid doesn't cut it.

Plus, Buzz Aldrin saying "my sweet" is one of the creepiest things ever.

[quote name='Arikado']
This, plus, I really don't give a shit about this random guy and his resized adult model child. I cured the genophage because I cared about Wrex. I brought peace between the quarians and the geth because I cared about Tali and Legion. I stopped the Reapers because I cared about THIS cycle. Where is the closure? Landing on a random planet somehow and smiling doesn't cut it. A guy talking to his kid doesn't cut it.
[/QUOTE]
That is the crux of the "closure" issue to me.

Which of these things is Mass Effect about?

1. Eliminating a galactic threat to safeguard the existence of life

2. Wrex, Tali, Liara, Garrus, Legion and the geth, the salarians, the Citadel Council, Ash, Jack, Kolyat, Aria T'Loak, the elcor, Joker and EDI, Miranda, and on and on and on

#1 received 100% of the closure that the ending offered. If #1 is what is important about Mass Effect to you, then maybe you're pretty okay with the existing ending. It's pretty clear that Casey Hudson and Mac Walters ultimately are #1 kind of people, which is great for them.

If you answer #2, which, this is a BioWare game for god's sake, they're known for their characters and the extreme involvement that their fans feel with them, well, you got nothing. The whole game up to that point is stuffed with great character moments and a sense that these people and their fates really matter-- and then, suddenly, nothing.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']

:whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee:
That was some intense shit man. The banshee/brute battle at the end wasn't so bad. Never thought I'd say that about taking on all those brutes and banshee. The toughest part towards the end...and I know I will face public mockery for this....was that mother fucking Marauder Shields!! That son of a bitch! He was hard to get by on Insanity! But I made it. I tell you what, though, that very end scene gets me every time. Hearing Buzz Aldrin as the Stargazer and when the child says "tell me another story about the shepherd." it nearly moves me to tears. Love that scene. I know a lot of people bitch about the end, but if you've been with the series from day one, you can't deny some of the emotional aspects like that.
[/QUOTE]
Heh. This is how I have always figured the scene with MS goes down on Insanity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wD5TaMf2k

If anyone needs a member for a gold run, I would love to run. I have been trying to catch a public group, but have had little success. I'm ~ 530 N7 level. Feel free to shoot me a friend request.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That is the crux of the "closure" issue to me.

2. Wrex, Tali, Liara, Garrus, Legion and the geth, the salarians, the Citadel Council, Ash, Jack, Kolyat, Aria T'Loak, the elcor, Joker and EDI, Miranda, and on and on and on

#1 received 100% of the closure that the ending offered. If #1 is what is important about Mass Effect to you, then maybe you're pretty okay with the existing ending. It's pretty clear that Casey Hudson and Mac Walters ultimately are #1 kind of people, which is great for them.

If you answer #2, which, this is a BioWare game for god's sake, they're known for their characters and the extreme involvement that their fans feel with them, well, you got nothing. The whole game up to that point is stuffed with great character moments and a sense that these people and their fates really matter-- and then, suddenly, nothing.
[/QUOTE]

Ryu, you bring up a good point, It seems the majority of people fine with the ending just came in with Mass Effect 3, are casual Mass Effect fans or doesn't have such a strong relation with the characters. It seems odd, and ultimately highlights the out of place nature the ending has, that you'll be more disappointed with the ending if you're more of a fan especially considering this is a Bioware game (and they're a developer that listens to the community).
\
Yeah we had some good Gold runs last night, nothing stuck though, farthest we got was wave 9 lol. SOOO MUCH SHENANIGANS (AI cheating like a boss)! :booty:

Love the series overall, love the ME universe and mythology more than I ever got into SW or ST.

I definitely would have rather had a ending where it left things hanging like reapers died but everything is still f'd up and gotta mop up cerberus resistance and leftover indoc and coverted peeps.

Space magic blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider myself a hardcore ME fan. My initial reaction to the ending was that I was cool with it. It was what it was. Now that I have had some time to mull it over more...I still am okay with it. Sure, I'll make jokes because there's holes and it went in directions I would not have expected, but ultimately there's nothing I'm going to get up in arms about.

Had some good fun in the (futile) quest for Gold last night. And Chubbyninja, Spybreaker, & Co.: You're welcome for all those revive bonuses you got from picking my sorry ass up off the ground. If I have time tonight or tomorrow, I am willing to give it another shot.

[quote name='simosaurus']I consider myself a hardcore ME fan. My initial reaction to the ending was that I was cool with it. It was what it was. Now that I have had some time to mull it over more...I still am okay with it. Sure, I'll make jokes because there's holes and it went in directions I would not have expected, but ultimately there's nothing I'm going to get up in arms about.

Had some good fun in the (futile) quest for Gold last night. And Chubbyninja, Spybreaker, & Co.: You're welcome for all those revive bonuses you got from picking my sorry ass up off the ground. If I have time tonight or tomorrow, I am willing to give it another shot.[/QUOTE]

Well there will always be exceptions haha. I'll be on tonight as well but I've been getting my Kinect, video apps time in today.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That is the crux of the "closure" issue to me.

[/QUOTE]

While I think we are on opposites sides on this topic, you have nailed it in a most simple way. My thoughts....
I guess I fall in line with #1. I consciously wanted to like the ending because I was/am such a huge fan and I had faith in Bioware. I had faith in the vision of the team and I, unlike many, don't feel like I have a say. I was thankful for the opportunity to be involved, but when it comes to books, movies or games, I'm there to be taken on a grand adventure and I don't necessarily need to feel like I am calling the shots. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to the end and didn't hate it. I got to see the Reapers fall, Alliance soldiers throw up their guns in victory, I capped that bitch TIM in the head and I saw characters I care about walk out of the Normandy. Is there more I could have hoped for?

The more I think about it, the more I understand that the story was intended to be bigger than my bromance with Garrus, or my love with Liara, or even EDI's fine little behind. The overall message was projected to us in the genophage and geth missions. That's what this was all about. It's truly an epic story of biblical proportions where one badass space soldier and a crew of his buddies defeated the odds thus saving countless future generations and even species. The names are incidental, I'm afraid.

If you have an ipad, I STRONGLY suggest you pick up the app/book "the Final Hours of Mass Effect 3". I've had it for a few weeks, but just putzed with it. Now I've read it through and it really gives you insight into the conscious decisions the team made, all the way up to the final days before release. Casey Hudson and Mac Walters, in particular, give a lot of insight into their thought process, why they did what they did, and where the series goes from here. It really gives a lot of info to the hardest of the hardcore. Specifically, it shares
- a deleted scene during the run to the citadel beam where Shepard tells his crew to "get out of here" and you see Garrus and Liara running from a Harbinger blast (could answer the question how/why they were on the Normandy)
- they talk about the decision to not go with a traditional end boss because it felt to "videogamey" and they felt that the story didn't need to be restrained by traditional game expectations,
- why they didn't give a ton of info on the Reaper backstory
- there is a little insight into what that final scene with Stargazer is all about,
- Casey Hudson confirms that future Mass Effect games won't take place post-Shepard era.

I admit I'm kind of bummed about that last piece. But he did say that there would be content pre or during the events of ME3. Akuze w/ a young Shepard? First Contact War w/ Anderson? You know Anderson was originally the hero of the trilogy, right?

In the end, if nothing else, I had a great ride I had and am having a great time talking about the game with friends and I am making new friends through discussions like this and online with multiplayer. I'm glad that my time with the game will be winding down because my wife is ready to kill me for spending so much time playing games and staying up late. #-o

bread's done
Back