Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Could have sworn it said Nov 1 the first time I checked it. I thought a 1-day event was pretty silly. This is much better.

Edit: Happened to still have my original window open and it did say the 1st. Either a typo or they extended it. Whew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips on using the N7 Fury? I want to make the most out of Dark Channel and Annihilation Field. I haven't used her much since unlocking her back when the Earth DLC came out.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Any tips on using the N7 Fury? I want to make the most out of Dark Channel and Annihilation Field. I haven't used her much since unlocking her back when the Earth DLC came out.[/QUOTE]

Someone, I think Slimjim, had a good build posted a few pages back. His tip about using incinerary ammo to explode with throw and follow up with a biotic explosion was good.

Duh, I missed that entirely and only one page back, too. For shame.

Great build guide Slimjim! I learned a lot and will be kicking butt with her this weekend.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Duh, I missed that entirely and only one page back, too. For shame.

Great build guide Slimjim! I learned a lot and will be kicking butt with her this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! She is one of my favorite characters to use by far. I should be getting a friend to record some gameplay from my POV here soon, so once I get that done and uploaded I will toss it in here.

[quote name='simosaurus']Someone, I think Slimjim, had a good build posted a few pages back. His tip about using incinerary ammo to explode with throw and follow up with a biotic explosion was good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks as well. I just recently started doing some guides to add to a thread on the BSN for builds and guides. I was lucky enough to learn from a lot of really good players, so I figured I would pass on what I could.

If anyone is interested I do have a few more that I have done. I have the N7 Fury, Human Engineer, Quarian Male Engineer, N7 Demolisher, and just made one last night for the Human Adept. Send me a PM and I would be glad to link you to them (don't want to flood this with my builds) and would be willing to work on a few more if there are any request.

Is there an overall best class to build for Gold? I did really well on Silver last night with a salarian engineer (against geth - energy drain!). But didn't know if there was a gold standard type class that was generally always effective.

I still only have about one character unlocked per class right now and still no Krogan. But the promise of 70k credits on Gold has me dreaming.

At this rate..Ill never finish the campaign...

Any class is viable for gold. Some are just easier than others. For example, the Krogan Battlemaster is virtually unkillable, so he's popular for solo runs. Infiltrators are also good choices because tactical cloak is just so useful both defensively in evading enemies and offensively because of its damage bonus. However, just stick with characters you are comfortable with and you can easily get up to gold.

Ran with our usual group and got the Halloween Challenges. It was also cool to do Bronze matches and work with characters I'd normally not use. Pumpkins are just artifacts but damn fun though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another N7 Day tease:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/community/n7day/

Welcome to the first annual N7 Day! To commemorate the 5 year anniversary this month of the original Mass Effect, BioWare will be celebrating with a day filled with in-game and online fun. And you can join us!

Over the last 5 years we have seen Commander Shepard’s tale unfold and it’s been as much a journey for us as our fans. We are humbled by the support and passion of each and every one of you. Mass Effect wouldn’t be what it is today without you, and sharing the experience with our fans was the first thought on our minds. We created N7 Day for you—an opportunity to unite us and our fans in a global celebration of Mass Effect.

It’s a day for everyone, where we can put down our Omni Tools, and raise a glass of Serrice Ice Brandy (or soda for the younger crowd) while we relive our favorite memories from the series.

We have a whole host of fun activities planned for you, too! There will be online events, in-game rewards, behind-the-scenes, N7 Day exclusive assets, and much, much more! Stay tuned for updates on how you can get involved.

Be sure to mark November 7th, N7 Day on your calendars, and join us for a memorable day of festivities—Your day.

n7day_vignette-t.jpg

I think N7 day will be a lot like what's going on now with the Halloween Challenge. Maybe a specific N7 Day banner for MP, some unique weapons maybe. It'll be fun.

I wonder when I'll get to play AC3 and Halo 4? ;)

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Is there an overall best class to build for Gold? I did really well on Silver last night with a salarian engineer (against geth - energy drain!). But didn't know if there was a gold standard type class that was generally always effective.

I still only have about one character unlocked per class right now and still no Krogan. But the promise of 70k credits on Gold has me dreaming.

At this rate..Ill never finish the campaign...[/QUOTE]

I actually find Engineers to be the most versatile of any class. There are always shields/barriers to strip and armor to burn. I can't think of any character I would rather take into an unknown/unknown/gold game since most classes have some type of downfall against certain enemies. Now any character is gold viable, but if I had to rate them it would go (rating every character, not just one or two):

1) Engineer (seriously, no real weakness aside from not doing tons of weapon damage)
2) Infiltrator (lots of weapon damages, tactical cloak to drop some aggro)
3) Soldiers (can take a decent amount of damage and put out plenty as well)
4) Adepts (slap on an Acolyte and biotic explosions everywhere, weakness is geth mostly)
5) Vanguards (with biotic charge and good situational awareness they have the best survivability)
6) Sentinels (best when you have teammates to combo with, but fairly tanky and versatile as well)

That list changed once tech combos were made easier since all characters have a way to set up explosions off of ammo types now. I don't dislike any of those classes, just my personal ratings where they sit at the moment.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I think N7 day will be a lot like what's going on now with the Halloween Challenge. Maybe a specific N7 Day banner for MP, some unique weapons maybe. It'll be fun.

I wonder when I'll get to play AC3 and Halo 4? ;)[/QUOTE]

Dude, when Halo 4 hits I'm gonna be across the galaxy, long gone lol.

I would be all over this if they put the first one on the engine for 2 or 3 and made the game look about as good as them. Normally I wouldn't care, but I think it would be nice to get the first one updated to the new and fix some of the bugs it had.

Bugs aside, ME1 is still my favorite. It just seemed so much more open and epic, and the story is unmatched. I probably like it so much because KOTOR was one of my favorite games ever, and ME improved upon it in nearly every way.

[quote name='Feeni']Bugs aside, ME1 is still my favorite. It just seemed so much more open and epic, and the story is unmatched. I probably like it so much because KOTOR was one of my favorite games ever, and ME improved upon it in nearly every way.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I completely agree. ME1 had the story, the exploration, tied it all together in a great package. I've done almost a dozen playthroughs and could easily do more. Sure it had its flaws (Mako controls, inventory, etc) but what it got right was still incredible.

I also still consider ME1 the best. It's the only true RPG of the series. While I love me2 and me3, I miss the original RPG elements from the first one.

ME3 is the best game ever, to me. But I have to admit that ME1 is a very close second. It captured sci-fi better than any game before and did a great job setting up the universe. Plus, ME2 nor ME3 come even remotely close to letting you explore like you could in ME1. That coming from the resident Mako fanatic of the ME-related forum threads 'round here.
2156645-masseffect_hatersgonnahatemako.jpg

I love all three games in the series for different reasons, but just in terms of storytelling nothing beats ME1. There are so many moments in that game that just gave me chills.

The beacon visions, the conversation with Sovereign on Virmire, the race to the Ilos relay, and that final charge up the Citadel are all things that instantly spring to mind.

For the fun of running and blowing things up, I love the sequels, but the story of ME1 is unmatched.

For story, I'd have to go with ME1>ME3>ME2. ME3 is a very close second to ME1 though storywise, ME2 doesn't come into its own except in a few areas as well as the endgame.

For gameplay, I'd have to go ME3>ME2>ME1.

I rank them all equally, I think. 1 has its shit inventory, poorly-thought-out skill system, and boring hill climbs. It also felt like the most open, unconstricted member of the trilogy, and its presentation of the universe was by far the most interesting. 2 has its over-reliance on the Paragon:Renegade "choice", minimal plot development, and inconsistent aesthetics. It also has greatly refined combat and the whole "suicide mission" thing was actually really damn cool. 3 has rolltastic combat, some lame-ass enemies, and a shit ending. It also manages to strikes some semblance of balance in terms of weapon and armour variety and was shockingly tasteful in how it managed the cameos of past characters who aren't named Jacob.

And in all three of them, "skip this line of dialogue" and "choose the next line of dialogue" is the same god damn key. Sweet fucking Jesus, how did that shit make it past ME1 holy fucking Christ you guys what the fuck?

[quote name='The Crotch']And in all three of them, "skip this line of dialogue" and "choose the next line of dialogue" is the same god damn key. Sweet fucking Jesus, how did that shit make it past ME1 holy fucking Christ you guys what the fuck?[/QUOTE]
Seriously, that is the WORST.

For me Mass Effect 2 trumps the other games in every area except music, I like ME1's music the best. ME2 is my favorite game ever. It's harder to pick my second favorite of the trilogy, both ME1 and ME3 have such distinct strengths and weaknesses it's hard to decide how they balance.

I can't get myself out of the MP to play the DLC I downloaded. I will download this when I get the points from Bing.

N7 Day Challenge (Ends at 8:00am PST on Friday, November 9th)
The N7 Day Multiplayer challenge will be extended until Friday so that soldiers around the world will be able to participate and claim their spoils of war.

The Alliance has seen an influx of recruits. Men and women from human colonies across the galaxy have completed training and are ready to fight. They will be joining us as we continue our offensive against the Reapers.

N7 Day Alliance Challenge: Requires three extractions while playing as a human character (basic human kits, N7 humans, ex-Cerberus). This can be completed on any map at any difficulty.
Completing this challenge will unlock the N7 Day banner as reward.

[quote name='Arikado']No squadmates? No Normandy? Can't revisit Omega when you're done? :cry:

Everything else seems promising, though. Really digging Nyreen's look, too.[/QUOTE]I think that might be a small price to pay if it's good, right?

While I havent watched the stream yet I did read that article and gotta say I dont like how much they are touting this as a one-off kind of adventure. I dunno, I was just hoping for something a little more substantive for $15.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I really don't think we're getting any more permanent squadmates past Javik.[/QUOTE]

I dont think so either and I'm okay with that, I just wish that we were getting something different. I feel like this is just being done so people can see what Aria's like in-squad (shes probably the most requested person for a squad character who wasnt in 1 or 2's squad) instead of a deep story. After we take Omega back we wont be able to return and Aria will probably "oversee" things from Purgatory anyway. I dunno I just feel $15 is a steep price for this.

I'm glad they worked the Reaper Adjutant's into the game. I was annoyed when they featured so prominently in the comic, then no-show in-game. Sure I'd love to spend more time with GArrus and Liara, but I think these two new squadmates should be pretty darn interesting.

[quote name='The Crotch']I basically just miss expansion packs.

Remember those? Awakening? Brood War? Opposing Force? Age of Kings?

fuck, expansion packs are sweet.[/QUOTE]

how do you do expansion packs in a close ended game?

bread's done
Back