Mass Effect - Gen. Discussion & Info - Pinnacle Station DLC Now Available 400pts

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']post impressions.[/QUOTE]

About a half hour in, the graphics are freaking amazing. Love the conversation wheel.

The combat is very hard to get used to, especially from someone who's played all of Bioware's other western RPGs. I'm sure once I get used to it It will be fine.

So nothing new really, just confirming that this game is awesome. Once I get about 5 hours in i'll say how the story and exploration is.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']About a half hour in, the graphics are freaking amazing. Love the conversation wheel.

The combat is very hard to get used to, especially from someone who's played all of Bioware's other western RPGs. I'm sure once I get used to it It will be fine.

So nothing new really, just confirming that this game is awesome. Once I get about 5 hours in i'll say how the story and exploration is.[/QUOTE]

awesome. keep us posted.

Graphics and voices are blowing me away so far. Combat is still a bit wonky especially since I've been using the shotgun and it just doesn't seem to be packing enough of a whallop unless you're really close and as a Vanguard, a mage/soldier, I seem to be killled before i can get close enough to use it, so I'm going to restart, likely as a soldier and leave the magic to me group, though an Infiltrator sounds fun.

[quote name='opterasis']*waits patiently for the collectors edition*[/quote]

I know, me too, especially since it does seem to look very nice from the pictures. It's just messy with this online ordering stuff. That doesn't mean I didn't run out to my K-Mart and check, but no dice.

Will I like this game if I didn't like KOTOR that much? I kinda missed out on KOTOR and just bought it 3 months ago so it could have been it being such an old game that I didn't like it as much. But any opinions?

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']Will I like this game if I didn't like KOTOR that much? I kinda missed out on KOTOR and just bought it 3 months ago so it could have been it being such an old game that I didn't like it as much. But any opinions?[/QUOTE]

For me, KOTOR has aged very well. I could hop back on and beat it in 2 sittings whenever. Bioware creates amazing RPG experiences. So yes, I am a bit bias, but how can you blame me? This company creates awesome games. It's a shame about EA.

As for your question, the gameplay is somewhat similar to KOTOR. The way towns are set up, how you walk around. I can tell Bioware made this game without knowing they did. It's just their style.

Some differences: The combat is completely different. It's brutally hard. I've died about 10 times and I'm 5 hours in. The conversation system is different, and is the best I've ever seen. It feels like I'm controlling a blockbuster movie.

Basically, if you like Western RPG's you NEED to play Mass Effect. The story is shaping to be killer, and the gameplay is nothing short of awesome. But I can't force you to like the game, unfortunately. KOTOR is in my top 5, and will probably stay there.

If I were you, I'd atleast rent the game.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']Will I like this game if I didn't like KOTOR that much? I kinda missed out on KOTOR and just bought it 3 months ago so it could have been it being such an old game that I didn't like it as much. But any opinions?[/quote]
If the combat style is what held you back from KOTOR, I would say that this game has a much more active combat style and you would almost definately like it more.

All I can say at this point is that I hope EA lets BioWare continue to make this a trilogy. No matter how long this game takes it is going to be over too soon. The amount of detail that they have put into the game is simply outstanding. I have already begun collecting information about some side quests and am about to take off on those journeys. Plan on taking my time with this one and doing everything.

[quote name='tcrash247']Just checked 2 Kmarts, no dice. Guess I'll have to wait like almost everyone else :([/quote]

Same here, I checked two Kmarts today with no luck.:cry:

Just beat it, clocked in at 15 hours.. with a few sidequests.

Going to go back and get some achievements and do a bunch more sidequests. The game was really short, but I'm not complaining.

I'll probably sell this sometime this week, so I can recoop my money. I'll be getting the collectors edition still.

That said, this is the best game in years. Instantly in my top 5.

Mini review:
+Killer soundtrack, along with some of the best sound around.
+The story is going to be remembered for a long time to come, tons of turmoil and betrayal.
+Felt like an epic movie, and the user can control a lot of the outcomes.
+Tons of replay potential. This game is MASSIVE, even if the main story is kind of short.
+Some great achievements, you literally need to play this game AT LEAST three times to get all the achievements.
+Combat is HARD. Very welcome, as most games are pushovers. You will be murdered, a lot. Play this game on a harder difficulty like it's meant to be played.

-Short main quest (though honestly, it's hard to find something to knock this game so I had to)
-Some minor frame rate issues, though it mostly runs smooth.

Verdict- 9.8/10

15 hours? The hell? I hope there are a LOT more sidequests/explorations. I want to milk this game for all it's worth.

That being said, I'll be heading out to Kmart to see if they have this game tomorrow :)

[quote name='hootie']15 hours? The hell? I hope there are a LOT more sidequests/explorations. I want to milk this game for all it's worth.

That being said, I'll be heading out to Kmart to see if they have this game tomorrow :)[/QUOTE]

I know, I was sad when the game ended :(

If I wanted too, I could probably beat ME in 10-12 hours... even though the quest is short, there is a lot packed in. It's one hell of a ride.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Just beat it, clocked in at 15 hours.. with a few sidequests.

Going to go back and get some achievements and do a bunch more sidequests. The game was really short, but I'm not complaining.

I'll probably sell this sometime this week, so I can recoop my money. I'll be getting the collectors edition still.

That said, this is the best game in years. Instantly in my top 5.

Mini review:
+Killer soundtrack, along with some of the best sound around.
+The story is going to be remembered for a long time to come, tons of turmoil and betrayal.
+Felt like an epic movie, and the user can control a lot of the outcomes.
+Tons of replay potential. This game is MASSIVE, even if the main story is kind of short.
+Some great achievements, you literally need to play this game AT LEAST three times to get all the achievements.
+Combat is HARD. Very welcome, as most games are pushovers. You will be murdered, a lot. Play this game on a harder difficulty like it's meant to be played.

-Short main quest (though honestly, it's hard to find something to knock this game so I had to)
-Some minor frame rate issues, though it mostly runs smooth.

Verdict- 9.8/10[/QUOTE]

glad to hear about the sound. I already like everything you have said :)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']glad to hear about the sound. I already like everything you have said :)[/QUOTE]

Sad part is I probably beat this game before some of the review sites did. The IGN podcast said they were 10 hours in and the end wasn't in sight. Either they can't read, or they did absolutely nothing but sidequests.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']I know, I was sad when the game ended :(

If I wanted too, I could probably beat ME in 10-12 hours... even though the quest is short, there is a lot packed in. It's one hell of a ride.[/quote]

You must have plowed through the game. I am five hours in and still in the Citidel working the main quest and a few side quests. There is so much history and underworkings in the game that you find by taking to people or reading computer screens someone left turned on; if you skip through it... you are missing out and a good portion of the overall experience and many side quests.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']You must have plowed through the game. I am five hours in and still in the Citidel working the main quest and a few side quests. There is so much history and underworkings in the game that you find by taking to people or reading computer screens someone left turned on; if you skip through it... you are missing out and a good portion of the overall experience and many side quests.[/QUOTE]

Just because I beat it in 15 hours doesn't mean I didn't talk to NPCs. I explored about 10 planets not in the main quest. Did a few sidequests here and there. The main quest is very short, trust me. It will go from the Citadel to the end of the game right quick. You can delay it by doing the sidequests, but they don't hold a candle to the main story.

I tend to beat games quickly, that's just how I am. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it to the fullest.

Also, like I said I'll be replaying this game for a long time to come.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Just because I beat it in 15 hours doesn't mean I didn't talk to NPCs. I explored about 10 planets not in the main quest. Did a few sidequests here and there. The main quest is very short, trust me. It will go from the Citadel to the end of the game right quick. You can delay it by doing the sidequests, but they don't hold a candle to the main story.

I tend to beat games quickly, that's just how I am. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it to the fullest.[/quote]

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just saying that I'm playing it a bit differently. I am reading every Codex entry, doing all side quests and exploring to the fullest. I figured the game would be about 20 hours when I'm done with everything.

My problem is that if I don't do everything I want to the first run through, I generaly will not go back and play again. That being the case, I am doing every little additional thing and it is been an excellent experience.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just saying that I'm playing it a bit differently. I am reading every Codex entry, doing all side quests and exploring to the fullest. I figured the game would be about 20 hours when I'm done with everything.

My problem is that if I don't do everything I want to the first run through, I generaly will not go back and play again. That being the case, I am doing every little additional thing and it is been an excellent experience.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Didn't mean to come across like an ass, I guess I sort of did.

I always replay Bioware RPGs, I've replayed KOTOR more times then I can count. So I'll be replaying ME for many years to come.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Cool. Didn't mean to come across like an ass, I guess I sort of did.

I always replay Bioware RPGs, I've replayed KOTOR more times then I can count. So I'll be replaying ME for many years to come.[/quote]

Maybe you can help me with this. What do the Licenses you buy in the various stores actually do ? Doesn't really say in the description.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']since you beat it, my main question is that if you played through it once, does anything carry over to your next playthrough?[/QUOTE]
I'm wondering this as well. It really seems like this game was meant to be played through multiple times, so some type of New Game + option would be ideal.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Maybe you can help me with this. What do the Licenses you buy in the various stores actually do ? Doesn't really say in the description.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, was wondering that myself.

[quote name='defiance_17']I'm wondering this as well. It really seems like this game was meant to be played through multiple times, so some type of New Game + option would be ideal.[/QUOTE]

No, no New Game + unfortunately.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']
No, no New Game + unfortunately.[/QUOTE]
No carryover of anything whatsoever? If so, that's really disappointing.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Sorry, was wondering that myself.

No, no New Game + unfortunately.[/quote]

How many achievements did you earn on the first play through?

[quote name='defiance_17']No carryover of anything whatsoever? If so, that's really disappointing.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get asked to save a game after the credit's rolled. I haven't started a new game yet, so I guess I can't say for sure.. but I wouldn't count on it.

[quote name='King']How many achievements did you earn on the first play through?[/QUOTE]

I probably could have gotten more, but I fell short on Pistol and Sniper rifle kills.

I ended with ~400, I can probably grab about 80 more without starting a new game.

If you look at the achievements, some are just ridiculous. Spending the game with a certain species in your party.

Edit: Just tried starting a new career, looks like you can import your old character. Sorry for the confusion.

Calamity: I mentioned your game length analysis on another forum and was accused of being a troll and that you are lying. LOL.

People want to believe this game really is 70 hours and are starting to get extremely defensive.

[quote name='Malkovich']Calamity: I mentioned your game length analysis on another forum and was accused of being a troll and that you are lying. LOL.

People want to believe this game really is 70 hours and are starting to get extremely defensive.[/QUOTE]

I actually just checked my last save, it was 13:53, add on about a half hour for the final boss and ending (that's being pretty liberal).

[quote name='Nelo Ice']hmm calamity which class did u use?
and if youve played more than one which class would u reccomend to start as[/QUOTE]

Soldier is going to be the easiest, since you can use all guns and heavy armor. Next playthrough I'm going to do Biotics/Tech for the achievements.

After playing it for seven hours today, Getting all squad members except one.. cant figure out for the hell of me which one im missing.. its the one to the right of the first male soldier who joins..

Its a freaking blast man. Shaqfu to the max man.

DEFINITE BUY!

Infiltrator

Level 9

The chick from the start and the weird guy.. Rex I think? Great team ...

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']After playing it for seven hours today, Getting all squad members except one.. cant figure out for the hell of me which one im missing.. its the one to the right of the first male soldier who joins..

Its a freaking blast man. Shaqfu to the max man.

DEFINITE BUY!

Infiltrator

Level 9

The chick from the start and the weird guy.. Rex I think? Great team ...[/QUOTE]

You're missing
Liara or whatever. She's required for the story, so you won't miss her.

guess i'll use soldier then when i get my copy in from liongames

was thinking about vanguard though guess i'll use that for a 2nd play through

Just to clarify:
- The level cap on the first playthrough is 50.
- Beating the game the first time raises the cap to 60.
- You can reach this cap by playing a new character (very hard to reach) or using an old character to re-enter the game.
- You bring over all your gear and money from the previous playthrough when you restart with an old character.
- You can customize new characters on subsequent playthroughs using unlocked talents earned from achievements. Think Adept with a shotgun.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=585782&forum=104&sp=30

Thats from the lead designer.

When you import an old character into a new game, does the difficulty of the enemies increase? Because it would be kinda boring to slaughter low level enemies with some level 50 dude.

I have a question for those playing the game, and I'll spoiler it, just in case:

Where in the world is that Kyle dude who is running some cult? For the life of me, I can't find where he would be!

[quote name='Chroma914']I have a question for those playing the game, and I'll spoiler it, just in case:

Where in the world is that Kyle dude who is running some cult? For the life of me, I can't find where he would be!
[/QUOTE]

I have absolutely no clue what your talking about, and I beat the game. Must be a sidequest, but it sounds awesome. Can you be more specific?

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']I have absolutely no clue what your talking about, and I beat the game. Must be a sidequest, but it sounds awesome. Can you be more specific?[/quote]
I had wrapped up a sidequest I picked up in the Citadel about some missing miners, and I received an incoming transmission from one of the Admiral's (I think) saying that some dude Kyle had formed some cult on a planet in a certain solar system, and needed to be stopped. I went to the solar system (the name escapes me right now, as I'm not in front of the game ATM) and there was only one planet to land on. After landing, I didn't find anything other than some mercenaries and some large insect thing that popped up from out of the ground. Sorry I couldn't be more specific!

[quote name='Chroma914']
I had wrapped up a sidequest I picked up in the Citadel about some missing miners, and I received an incoming transmission from one of the Admiral's (I think) saying that some dude Kyle had formed some cult on a planet in a certain solar system, and needed to be stopped. I went to the solar system (the name escapes me right now, as I'm not in front of the game ATM) and there was only one planet to land on. After landing, I didn't find anything other than some mercenaries and some large insect thing that popped up from out of the ground. Sorry I couldn't be more specific!
[/QUOTE]

Ok, well I beat the miner sidequest and it IS on the planet you described. I didn't see anything else on the planet and I explored it thoroughly. If I see what you're talking about I'll let you know. I'm currently doing some sidequests, and trying to get 1 million credits.

[quote name='lokar36']Calamity,
what lvl did you finish at?[/QUOTE]

43. Getting to 50 now on a previous save.

Gah i hate everyone and everything now! I want this game so bad... I have a question:
What is the save system? Can you save anywhere or are there save points?

PS: Curse Bioware for notreleasing the collectors edition in stores

PSS: Is the collectors edition only available at ED/gamestop.com? That would also be the shaft.

Calamity,
how hard is it to make money? everyone keeps saying equipment is so expensive. can you buy the good stuff or do you have to find it?

[quote name='lokar36']Calamity,
how hard is it to make money? everyone keeps saying equipment is so expensive. can you buy the good stuff or do you have to find it?[/QUOTE]

I have 600,000 credits and nothing to spend them on.

The merchants are useless as far as I'm concerned. I found all of my equipment. But to answer your question, yes.. everything they sell is way overpriced.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Save anywhere except in battle.[/quote]
Sweet thanks man. Anyone know who is going to be selling the collectors edition other then GS/EB?

[quote name='abhinav']Sweet thanks man. Anyone know who is going to be selling the collectors edition other then GS/EB?[/QUOTE]

Amazon.com is the only other one I think. Sucks.

bread's done
Back