Mass Effect Limited Edition available - online only!

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I haven't seen this posted yet, and I know several people have been waiting for the rumored Mass Effect Limited Edition. EBgames/Gamestop now have the game available for pre-order for $69.99:

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=200404

Apparently the Limited Edition will only be available online... Please pardon if old :)

Edit: Coupon code GTZ10 works to get 10% off your order! Thanks guys!

Edit 2: Now also available from Amazon for $69.99 w/ free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000XJJRTI/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

10/25 - Apparently the GTZ10 code for EBgames/gamestop no longer works due to the inclusion of a free bonus disc :( SAVER is the free shipping code, however.

Also, EBgames is offering free 2-day shipping right now using coupon code: EFFECT or USA 2-DAY. Probably just a twenty-four hour deal.

11/21 - Edited title for those who care :)

Finally got mine from Amazon yesterday. I don't understand why they didn't have the preorder bonus disc. If you are paying extra for a limited edition, you obviously want everything available. Doesn't affect me since I preordered from Best Buy to get it, but still doesn't make sense.

[quote name='milmanias']Finally got mine from Amazon yesterday. I don't understand why they didn't have the preorder bonus disc. If you are paying extra for a limited edition, you obviously want everything available. Doesn't affect me since I preordered from Best Buy to get it, but still doesn't make sense.[/quote]

I am wondering this myself. I was sure it said in the description when I ordered you got the preorder bonus disk - after all it was a preorder!

Fortunately some guy at Gamestop had given me a bunch of preorder stuff (wihtout preordering) a few weeks ago. So I got one there. But still its curious about Amazon.

[quote name='gunstar808']I am wondering this myself. I was sure it said in the description when I ordered you got the preorder bonus disk - after all it was a preorder!

Fortunately some guy at Gamestop had given me a bunch of preorder stuff (wihtout preordering) a few weeks ago. So I got one there. But still its curious about Amazon.[/quote]

Yeah i wasnt sure id get one from EB since it was advertised that it would come as a bonus then it was taken down, which i didnt care because then i could get the 10% off, but i ended up getting one anyways so that made me happy.

[quote name='Vcize']I just got mine in the mail from GS. It wasn't crushed or anything but there's definitely a lot of rattling coming from inside the tin. I assume this is just the way stuff is set in there and that's not the disc I'm hearing rattling around? Those of you that have gotten it, does the disc come in another DVD case inside the tin or is that the disc I'm hearing?

I'd open it to find out but I broke down from the wait and picked up the regular version retail so not sure if I'm going to be keeping this one or not.[/QUOTE]

It rattles because the art book and instruction manual are loose inside the case. The game disks are in a cardboard case and plastic holders. It is also loose but the disks should be protected as long as they stayed clicked to the plastic holder.

I got mine in the mail today from GS - the back of the tin has a dent. :(

The cardboard foldout holding the discs inside the case is damaged too, most likely as a result of it being to jiggle around inside the case.

The plastic covering on the outside was torn on one of the corners, and most of the other corners were bent too. Good job using pocket lint as packing material GS.

Please post the responses you receive from GS about your issues so we can find out if they're going to do something about it.

Man, I guess I got lucky with my copy. It arrived one day after the game came out with no dents. And after playing this for a little while, I'm glad I got the CE.

I ordered two, so I lucked out in that Gamestop had to ship it in a box. Even still, the one I opened for myself was a little dinged up. The bonus disc popped out of the cardboard holder, which itself was also damaged. I'm not concerned about it though, and the discs themselves were OK. The other materials were in good shape too. It's not nearly as bad as the Halo 3 LE, but MS still needs improvement on their package design with these collector editions.

I hope the other one isn't mangled since it's an Xmas present for my brother. I suppose there's always the MS disc replacement program.

As for the LE guide, I got that within a few days of ordering from buy.com which was a shocker. It was in perfect condition since it came in a box. The novel shipped separately, which I just received yesterday. Good deal!

[quote name='evisto']I can also confirm that SOME brick & mortar Gamestop stores DO have the "online only" Mass Effect Limited Edition in stock, and for sale. If you want to find it near you, just use the link below and replace the "XXXXX" with your ZIP code:

http://www. gamestop.com/productavail.asp?miles=10&sku=200404&zip=XXXXX

It seems that these stores do have them in stock, but you may have to ask them for it.

Good hunting![/QUOTE]

thanks for the link, I was able to pick one up today. The only EB that had it in my area was the kiosk one (those little shops on the walking path in the mall). That shop isn't even on the map, I ended up having to call them just to figure out where it was.

Not sure if Nintendo Wii's are still rare to find but this kiosk still had a couple left. Might be worth checking out in the future for sold out stuff since most people wouldn't bother looking there.

[quote name='erehwon']So, do you guys think the LE is worth it? The collector in me is tempted to pick it up from BB, but I really can't afford it.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing in the LE that directly affects gameplay, but it does have some good extra material like the art book and the codex. I haven't tried the bonus disk yet though.

It's only $10 more if you get it but the book that was published may give you more background and depth to the game than anything in the LE.

And BTW, since when has LINT become packing material? That stuff got everywhere when I opened mine up.

[quote name='baddasspk']I found it at a local GS...which I found odd...[/quote]
same here, picked it up after trading in some games. they had a bunch in the cabinets.

I asked how they managed to get a hold of some since it was online only and apparently that GS took pre-orders for the limited edition before they got news that it was supposed to be online only. The copies left over were from people who didn't pick them up.

I told GS about my damaged copy, and this is the response I got:

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. It is stated on
our website that Value Shipping is provided by USPS. While we may
package it in a box, they may repackage within a mailing label, as that
is their customary delivery method. We highly recommend that you contact
your local store to see if they have any copies of the limited edition
left for exchange. All you will need is the game and the packing slip
and the store should be able to further assist you. If the store is
unable to locate a copy, there are two methods that we can follow to
assist.

1 - You can contact the manufacturer to see if they can assist with
replacing the case.

2 - We can e-mail you a UPS return label to ship the item back to us for
a refund.

We would typically go ahead and send out replacements for these items.
However, as this was a Limited Edition version, the manufacturer is no
longer producing copies, thus we do not have any stock left. Again we do
apologize for the inconvenience. We will be more then happy to assist
with a refund if you are unable to locate another copy for exchange, or
if the manufacturer will not assist with a replacement.

It was a nice response, although I would've preferred if they just properly shipped the game in the first place. I'll try exchanging it at a store in a few days I guess.

[quote name='AZPunisher']So where is the best place to buy the Limited Edition now?[/quote]

I'd poke around your local gamestops and ask if they happen to have any in stock. It was definitely weird to spot one in the drawer...

for drama's sake this was the dialogue:

me: "Can I get a copy of Mass Effect?"

employee: "Yeah sure, let me get it for you."

*employee slides open display case, at least five Mass Effect LEs are sitting there*

me: "Oh can I actually get one of those Limited Editions?"

employee: "What? Where? We actually have them? wow."

me: "Yeah that's crazy, I thought they were online only."

employee: "Yeah me too, I think we probably took pre-orders before they posted the info online. But hey lucky us"

[quote name='AZPunisher']So where is the best place to buy the Limited Edition now?[/quote]
bestbuy.com is still selling them albeit at regular price, i just ordered mine from there cause i had a bunch of old GGCs lying around (ah the good old GGC days...) with a couple bucks left on each of them, which took a total of amost 20 bucks off, so I bit.

It might cost a little more with tax and shipping but not really when you consider the gas you'll be wasting driving to various GS/EB stores which may end up not having it.

Saw about 5 of these at Gamestop today, just an update. You can use the 10% coupon to get it down to 62.99 + tax.

Also, with so many available it doesn't look so limited as the GS website led us to believe. not the first time that's happened.

So...hope you didn't buy this to sell later or anything!

I got a copy fromm bb and it too was in some ghetto packaging and arrived damaged. I'm gonna reorder and return the first one.

[quote name='humzai']I got a copy fromm bb and it too was in some ghetto packaging and arrived damaged. I'm gonna reorder and return the first one.[/quote]

man tell me about it! Wtf is up with BB shipping? They just put these metal colector's edition boxes in these flimsy plastic enveloppes, my Halo 3 collector's edition tin was all dented, I haven't opened Mass Effect yet, but I'm scared. BB needs to learn how to ship stuff from amazon, they send you a hard box for even a DS game.

UPDATE: I just opened my Mass Effect and I guess I got lucky cause it's undamaged, but shame on BB for such cheap crappy shipping materials.

[quote name='roymustang']man tell me about it! Wtf is up with BB shipping? They just put these metal colector's edition boxes in these flimsy plastic enveloppes, my Halo 3 collector's edition tin was all dented, I haven't opened Mass Effect yet, but I'm scared. BB needs to learn how to ship stuff from amazon, they send you a hard box for even a DS game.

UPDATE: I just opened my Mass Effect and I guess I got lucky cause it's undamaged, but shame on BB for such cheap crappy shipping materials.[/quote]

Wow, I have never heard of the Limited Edition cases getting dented when ordering from Best Buy. That is a good thing for me to remember. I ordered my Mass Effect from EB Games and that arrived fine. Gears of War was from Amazon, Halo 3 was from Lion Games, Perfect Dark Zero was from Buy.com. I guess it was just a matter of time before I made the mistake of ordering a Limited Edition from Best Buy. Thanks for the heads up!

I have not seen one in any of the STL Gamestop's. One of the post on an earlier page had the sku and search URL for searching for the LE. I did a 100 mile search, no copies.

bread's done
Back