Mass Effect - Should I continue playing? [Use Mass Effect General Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkTigerWoods

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (92%)
I just started this game yesterday I have become very bored. I'm about 7 hours in and I have the ship and can go to other planets but the game is not really keeping my interest. Plus the frame rate is awful and loading around every corner(and the elevators... :bomb:). I've play KOTOR before and got about 15 hours in before quitting that. I thought this might be better since its a shooter and more of an action rpg. Anyway, will this game pick up later or should I just quit now?

I'm a big fan of Mass Effect... but if you don't enjoy it by the point you're at I'd say chances are you're not going to.

While I wouldn't encourage anyone to play a game they aren't enjoying, I just played it and really liked it. The combat isn't the greatest, but the dialogue sequences are what set it apart for me. You actually get to see your character's face and hear his/her voice (unlike Fallout). But I gave up on KOTOR too, and I didn't even get as far as you.

Do you have the game installed? It helps quite a bit and the game overall is one of the best RPGs (imo) to have come out in the last couple years.

Are you following the story or just doing random stuff? If you follow the story a tad more and open up the rest of the characters, you may find yourself enjoying it.

I really loved Mass Effect even though I am not much of an RPG fan.

If you don't like it after 7 hours, you won't like it any more later. The game stayed pretty consistent throughout...not that thats a bad thing or anything, as I found the game pretty good.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']I just started this game yesterday I have become very bored. I'm about 7 hours in and I have the ship and can go to other planets but the game is not really keeping my interest. Plus the frame rate is awful and loading around every corner(and the elevators... :bomb:). I've play KOTOR before and got about 15 hours in before quitting that. I thought this might be better since its a shooter and more of an action rpg. Anyway, will this game pick up later or should I just quit now?[/quote]
What exactly are you looking/hoping for in terms of gameplay/story? We can provide a better yes/no answer if you tell us that.

The first 45 minutes were slow for me but then I fell in video game love. If you are 7 hours in and not enjoying it you shouldn't force yourself to play it if you don't enjoy it. Probably just not your cup. I spent 38 hours on the game and enjoyed ever second (after the first 45 minutes). Hell I was even having dreams about the storyline....

The game is phenomenal, and I've put 40 hours in it.

But if you don't agree by now, it's not for you. In fact, RPG's aren't for you, except maybe hack and slashes.

Give it a few more hours. If you really can't get into it, it's not your game. It took a bit for me to get into it, and I loved it. It does start sluggish and slow, but keep an open mind and hang in there. The game offers a lot.

Gotta go with the others, if you don't like something 7 hours in, why bother?

There are games I've put in, played for 5 minutes and knew I'd hate.
There were also games I played for 10 hours hoping they'd get better and never did. I really wanted to like Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant, but I couldn't make myself.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']I just started this game yesterday I have become very bored. I'm about 7 hours in and I have the ship and can go to other planets but the game is not really keeping my interest. Plus the frame rate is awful and loading around every corner(and the elevators... :bomb:). I've play KOTOR before and got about 15 hours in before quitting that. I thought this might be better since its a shooter and more of an action rpg. Anyway, will this game pick up later or should I just quit now?[/QUOTE]

7 hours of a game that you aren't enjoying in just one day? You must be a glutton for punishment. I can barely make it more than an hour or so into a game if I'm not enjoying it.

I personally loved ME, but if you aren't feeling it after 7 hours, you probably won't ever really warm up to the game. I think the story picks up, but your issues with the frame rate and loading won't be eased at all. They don't magically improve the later you get into the game. Also, there aren't any changes to the combat system coming up later in the game; if you don't care that much for it where you are currently at in the game, you most likely won't feel in different about 25 hours later.

I actually finished Mass Effect and I don't play many RPGs at all. I thought it was OK. I'd probably give it a B- and I'm most likely going to skip Mass Effect 2 unless they fix a LOT of stuff (mainly pacing, dialogue, side quests and load times)...

My initial thought is to keep playing because the game gets much better as you go along. On the other hand if you're not enjoying it for the problems that you've stated, those don't change at any point so I'd just ditch it if I were you.

I really liked the game for what it's worth.

If you don't do any of the side quests and follow a guide, you only have like 5 hrs left. I finished the game in about 12.5 hours. I hate side quests.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give it 1 or 2 more hrs before I decide. Thought I'd respond to some posts.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Why play something you aren't enjoying? Quit and play something else.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes a game(or movie) will start off slow and get much better later on. Ex. Assassin's Creed; I didn't like that game much when I started it but by the end I really enjoyed it.
[quote name='SynGamer']Do you have the game installed?[/QUOTE]
Yup, it stills chugs along and if we're forced to sit thru 30 sec elevator rids every 200 ft they should at least put up some pong on the screen.
[quote name='SynGamer']What exactly are you looking/hoping for in terms of gameplay/story?[/QUOTE]
The story is ok. The problem is the endless dialog trees and lack of fights. And too many side quest are fetch quests: Go here, ride an elevator, talk this person's ear off til they give the goods, go back, ride an elevator, talk some more, get xp and useless add-ons.
[quote name='thrustbucket']In fact, RPG's aren't for you, except maybe hack and slashes.[/QUOTE]
I'm a RPG fan, I have FF XII and FF III in my backlog.
[quote name='Sparta Omni']Give it a few more hours. If you really can't get into it, it's not your game. It took a bit for me to get into it, and I loved it. It does start sluggish and slow, but keep an open mind and hang in there. The game offers a lot.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'm hoping.
[quote name='thrustbucket']I think a lot of people bought Mass Effect thinking it would be Gears of War with more story and leveling.[/QUOTE]
I didn't expect that but I thought there would be more action then I've seen.
[quote name='will52']If you don't do any of the side quests and follow a guide, you only have like 5 hrs left. I finished the game in about 12.5 hours. I hate side quests.[/QUOTE]
Might try that.

If I had to take a guess:
You're either not following the story directly or you picked a class you don't enjoy playing.

What set this game apart for me was playing a sentinel. I could snipe and use support magic to knock enemies around. And ironically, my pistol was pretty wicked too.

The first time I played it, I wasn't sold on it. 3 hours in and I felt bored as heck. I didn't know where to go, didn't pay attention to dialog. I was used to games putting the missions right in front of you. But once you start paying attention to dialog so you know where to go and you talk to your crew, you get literally sucked in.

Sadly the second time I played it was on PC so I didn't get achievements :( but I'm going to play it again on 360 just to play a different class.

Oh and make a female human toon. Lesbian love scene? Yes please.

The story is ok. The problem is the endless dialog trees and lack of fights. And too many side quest are fetch quests: Go here, ride an elevator, talk this person's ear off til they give the goods, go back, ride an elevator, talk some more, get xp and useless add-ons.

This tells me that you have not gotten to the meat of the game yet. The main part of the game has a lot of action. In fact toward the end all you do is fight, fight, fight.

Most of the dialog is entirely optional. If you don't enjoy it, skip it. I believe the most direct route though any dialog is to always choose the option on the right.

The same thing happened to me a year ago. Put in 10 hours, got my ship, was still bored and haven't played since. But I've noticed that as I play other games, my tastes can change and broaden. When I start playing it again, I will likely see it in a new light, and can quite possibly really get into it next time.

The game was one of my first tastes of an RPG, so I wasn't quite sure what to think of it when I started. However, as I progressed I loved the story, my only regret was not doing all the sidequests, because I had planned on doing them after I beat the main story..... That was a mistake, but now it's been long enough that I can go back and play it again, and do all the sidequests!

7 hours is a long time. I really liked this game right away (and for the touch over 20 hours I put into it (I only picked and chose side quests) I really enjoyed it. Really, my rule is 2-3 hours for a game to grab my interest. Even when I was younger (and had less games) 5 hours was usually my mark where I'd give up. In 7 hours, you have a feel for the game, if you aren't enjoying it, what do you hope for another 2 hours.

The only thing I would say is that this is a very story driven game. If you aren't paying attention to the story, your really missing the meat of the game (the game is excellent, but it's really driven by the story).

So, I voted for giving up. I think it's excellent, and would hope you enjoy it, but if you played for 7 hours, what do you hope another hour or 2 will change?

Yea, I'm done. I tried getting thru the ice planet but I just couldn't play it anymore. Quick question: if I did not like this, will I also dislike Fallout 3?

They're both fairly story heavy and free-form, but Fallout 3 is more actiony than ME. Imagine Oblivion with guns and you'll have a fairly good idea.

I'm currently having this same issue with Resistance 2. I really want to like it but there are just so many design issues.

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']I just started this game yesterday I have become very bored. I'm about 7 hours in and I have the ship and can go to other planets but the game is not really keeping my interest. Plus the frame rate is awful and loading around every corner(and the elevators... :bomb:). I've play KOTOR before and got about 15 hours in before quitting that. I thought this might be better since its a shooter and more of an action rpg. Anyway, will this game pick up later or should I just quit now?[/quote]

I'm not sure if it took me 7 hours or so, but it did take me quite awhile for the game to "click" for me, at least with the character I had created. I actually started playing the game when it came out and then didn't come back to it for 2 months or so. Combat was really frustrating to me and I kept dying, conversations weren't that interesting to me, etc... But then, everything sort of came together for me... I realized that I could play my character as a shotgun wielding badass rather than a timid weakling who only popped up every once in awhile to shoot. I started to put more points in my conversation skills and found my conversations to be a bit more interesting. There were still some aspects of the game I hated, and after randomly exploring a couple planets I decided a lot of the sidequests weren't really worth it, but overall I ended up loving it (and the last section of the game is very cool).

I can't tell if you'll have the same reaction, but I do know that I had a couple friends who were hesitent about trying the game... They asked me if it was worth playing, I told them yes, and they both ended up loving the game and couldn't figure out what took them so long to try it in the first place.

Really though the character doesn't change the gameplay THAT much. I mean, I started as an Engineer and beat the game with him. Then I went for an assault, which I found very similar, just using a different gun. I was about half way through a biotic then I stopped playing...all of them I found very similar in terms of fun levels...although I preferred using engineer and biotic skills than just shooting my way through as I did with assault.

Well I'm playing right now and I think it's an awesome, awesome game! However, if you are bored with the eploration part of it, just skip all the sidequests and just do the main ones : Feros, Liara, Noveria, etc... you'll loose a great chunk of the quests, but hey, at least the story will keep moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back