Feedback
9 (100%)
May NPD Numbers
  • Wii - 675,100
  • Nintendo DS - 452,600
  • PlayStation 3 - 208,700
  • Xbox 360 - 186,600
  • PSP - 182,300
According to NPD data, the Wii install base in the U.S. is at about 10.2 million, nearly tying the Xbox 360's 10.27 million install base.

Top 10 software sales

01. Grand Theft Auto 4 (Xbox 360) - 871,300
02. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 787,400
03. Wii Fit (Wii) - 687,700
04. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) - 442,900
05. Wii Play (Wii) - 294,600
06. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) - 171,100
07. Iron Man (PS2) - 130,600
08. Guitar Hero III (Wii) - 116,800
09. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (DS) - 107,000
10. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (DS) - 102,000

Source: Kotaku Software and Hardware

No more PS2 sales tracking? Aren't they outselling the 360/PS3 on the norm?

Wow, Iron Man PS2 had some pretty big numbers.

[quote name='Rig']So GTA IV on the 360 kicked ahead this month. Kinda figured it would.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's maintaining a 2:1 sales ratio, which it had done in the last two days of April when it was released.

GTA's importance to one system or another will be seen in long term trends (which I don't suspect will deviate from the 2:1 ratio), but also perhaps in how well MS markets the DLC exclusivity when it becomes available - if they get a surge in sales at that point.

Almost 700k in 11 days is pretty good. Also shortages aren't helping numbers. How many units has GTA IV sold? It is amazing how awesome it is selling. Not that I expected any less.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']So much for Wii Fit being the newest biggest thing ever.[/quote]

Actually it's sold out everywhere just like Wii systems, currently Wii Fit is going for $130 and more on Ebay.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Wii Fit stays in the top 10 chart for the entire year and maybe even longer, much like Wii Play.

I was shocked to see PS3 sell more than 360, to be honest (June I knew it would happen). I was mostly thinking it would have happened in April, if anything. Funny how I can never predict NPD. I thought Wii Fit was going to destroy everything with its demand.

According to Joystiq, PS2 was like...132k or 123k. Something like that.

Nintendo: "Wii Print Money"
Sony: "Comeback baby, oh yeah"
Microsoft: "3rd place means not first loser"

I'm always surprised when the PS3 outsells the 360. The issue is that the 360's user base has matured very well, and for them its nice to sell units but the truth be told, its about getting over 800k pieces of software sold. The PS3 needs to mature its user base to where its possible that one of their games can sell at least 800k.

Every NPD I only think "time machine and Nintendo stock." Although if I had a time machine I probably wouldn't need the money....

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm always surprised when the PS3 outsells the 360. The issue is that the 360's user base has matured very well, and for them its nice to sell units but the truth be told, its about getting over 800k pieces of software sold. The PS3 needs to mature its user base to where its possible that one of their games can sell at least 800k.[/quote]

they only outsold them by 22k units. Not that big of a deal considering they have mg launching this month and some people may have bought it early.

I think both sony/msft need to think about a big price drop on there systems. I can't imagine either company is all that happy at less then 220k a month for the better part of this year.

[quote name='KingBroly']According to Joystiq, PS2 was like...132k or 123k. Something like that.
[/quote]
NPD isn't publicly reporting on it anymore, but Sony released the 132k number in their PR.

Really surprised Nintendo didn't get more Wii and Wii Fit out there last month. But against all odds, Reggie's claim that they'd lead in the US by June has come to be.

Well, Wii Fit is sold out everywhere and going for profit on Ebay as noted above--so that's what has the numbers down lower than many expected. I imagine they'd be a lot higher if they got more product out.

are they not getting enough product out or are distributors hoarding them. Scott Rubin, from agi podcast/website now has an online store. He was buying from a local distributor. Both the wii and the wii fit were being sold to him a decent amount over retai. They also had excess inventory. I believe he claimed that other stores were hoarding them for this upcoming holidays as well. So is it really nintendo, or is it people trying to limit supply and increase the cost of them?

[quote name='SpazX']Every NPD I only think "time machine and Nintendo stock." Although if I had a time machine I probably wouldn't need the money....[/quote]

:) I always think of making money with a time machine, if I had more imagination I could probably think of something better, "King of the World" maybe. Or steal the Ark of the Covenant and keep my PSP games in it.

It's good for Sony that the PS3 outsold the 360, but it wasn't by much.
I wonder how long it will take the PS3 user base to catch up with that of the 360 if they're only selling 20'000 units a month more :whistle2:k

[quote name='benjamouth']:) I always think of making money with a time machine ... Or steal the Ark of the Covenant and keep my PSP games in it.
[/QUOTE]

I guess you deserve to have your face melted Nazi-style for your hubris.

Or just owning a PSP.

[quote name='snipegod']I guess you deserve to have your face melted Nazi-style for your hubris.

Or just owning a PSP.[/quote]

facemelt.gif

PSP rocks dude !!

[quote name='ryanbph']they only outsold them by 22k units. Not that big of a deal considering they have mg launching this month and some people may have bought it early.

I think both sony/msft need to think about a big price drop on there systems. I can't imagine either company is all that happy at less then 220k a month for the better part of this year.[/QUOTE]

Well I wouldn't be happy knowing that the wii is selling almost twice as much. MS could price drop, but they're making their money off of software sales. Pressure is more on PS3 imo. If I was MS, I'd drop a system package down to 250, just to put some pressure on the Wii. The Wii is cheapeast and has enjoyed the market of persons who don't have 400/500/600 to spend on a video game. Sony is no where near able to hit 250, but MS can do it... and still have a more expensive package available as well.

Sony is happy, because they have to take what they can get. Sony needs year round deals... free Blu Rays, Gift Cards, when you're last, you have to give incentives. But then again, perhaps Sony is happy right where they are. who knows...

[quote name='ryanbph']are they not getting enough product out or are distributors hoarding them. Scott Rubin, from agi podcast/website now has an online store. He was buying from a local distributor. Both the wii and the wii fit were being sold to him a decent amount over retai. They also had excess inventory. I believe he claimed that other stores were hoarding them for this upcoming holidays as well. So is it really nintendo, or is it people trying to limit supply and increase the cost of them?[/quote]

My guess is that Nintendo is holding them back. With the weak dollar they probably prefer sales in Japan and especially Europe (where I think prices tend to be higher anyway)

[quote name='Thomas96']Well I wouldn't be happy knowing that the wii is selling almost twice as much. MS could price drop, but they're making their money off of software sales. quote]

if they are making there money off software, then having a bigger installed base should lead to more game sales, thus more money. I also think they are making decent money on the system. When it launched there were rumors that it should drop in cost by $75 a year. The entire point of the arcade sku was to be the first to $199, then $99 as that is when systems really more. It has been out 2 1/2 years and the arcade has dropped about $20 or so dollars. Currently they are the "next gen " market leader, they should lead and force sony to follow. The ps2 prices dropped and then msfts would. It looked silly last year when the ps3 price dropped at e3, and msft said they don't need to drop the price, and then a month or so later they dropped the price.

[quote name='happy']My guess is that Nintendo is holding them back. With the weak dollar they probably prefer sales in Japan and especially Europe (where I think prices tend to be higher anyway)[/quote]

When the wii launched the americain dollar wasn't that bad. It wasn't that bad early last fall. The really weakened dollar started to become apparrent in the last 6 months, so that doesn't explain for nintendo to hold them back then. Like I said earlier about scott rubin/agi/ and the online store he has and the distributors charging above retail for a store. It was going to cost him $140 for the wii fit, for him to turnaround and sell. The distributor was holding back supplies of the wii and inflating the prices on them as well

[quote name='ryanbph'][quote name='Thomas96']Well I wouldn't be happy knowing that the wii is selling almost twice as much. MS could price drop, but they're making their money off of software sales. quote]

if they are making there money off software, then having a bigger installed base should lead to more game sales, thus more money. I also think they are making decent money on the system. When it launched there were rumors that it should drop in cost by $75 a year. The entire point of the arcade sku was to be the first to $199, then $99 as that is when systems really more. It has been out 2 1/2 years and the arcade has dropped about $20 or so dollars. Currently they are the "next gen " market leader, they should lead and force sony to follow. The ps2 prices dropped and then msfts would. It looked silly last year when the ps3 price dropped at e3, and msft said they don't need to drop the price, and then a month or so later they dropped the price.[/QUOTE]

We look at the NPD numbers every month, and we look at it, and we give our opinions about what each company needs to do to improve. Obviously, we've all got the right ideas, but the truth is that we're not on the same timeframe that the companies are at. MS and Sony show no real sense of ugency to take actions to try to sell as much as the Wii. Sony isn't in any urgency to try and sell as much as the 360. It seems to me that every company has a plan/strategy and each company is staying the course. Sony is slow, because they feel that they're on a 10 year strategy and with that thinking, I guess these first two years (almost) are just part of the early adoption phase.

The Wii is cheapeast and has enjoyed the market of persons who don't have 400/500/600 to spend on a video game.
The markups on eBay and CraigsList prove you're wrong. People want the Wii because it's a Wii, not because it's cheaper than the alternatives.

[quote name='Moxio']What the hell is Iron Man PS2 doing so high up there?[/QUOTE]
$30 bargain price.

Other numbers:

Multi Top20:
1. Grand Theft Auto IV* (Xbox 360) 871.300
2. Mario Kart (Wii) 787.400
3. Wii Fit (wii) 687.700
4. Grand Theft Auto IV* (PS3) 442.910
5. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) 294.600
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) 171.100
7. Iron Man (PS2) 130.600
8. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) 116.800
9. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (NDS) 107.000