5 - PS3 - INFAMOUS (SCEA) - 175.9K
6 - NDS - POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION (NoA) - 168.9K
7 - WII - MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (NoA) - 158.3K
8 - WII - PUNCH OUT!! (NoA) - 156.9K
9 - 360 - X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED (Acti-Blizzard) - 120.7K
10 - WII - Wii PLAY W/ REMOTE (NoA) - 109.8K

11 - NDS - New Super Mario Bros (NoA)
12 - NDS - Mario Kart (NoA)
13 - PS3 - X-Men Origins Wolvering (Acti-Blizzard)
14 - 360 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (ACti-Blizzard)
15 - NDS - Gardening Mama (Majesco)
16 - 360 - Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (CDV SOftware)
17 - 360 - Call of Duty: World at War (Acti-Blizzard)
18 - NDS - Rhythm Heaven (NoA)
19 - 360 - Halo 3 (MGS)
20 - WII - Gold's Gym Cardio Workout (Ubisoft)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I'm shocked that many copies of UFC sold.

Also, I don't generally keep track of sales, but is that NDS number normal?

DS is still riding high from the DSi launch.

PS3 is down year over year for 7 consecutive months now
360 is down for 2 months
Wii is down for 3 months
PSP is the lowest NPD has ever recorded for the system.

Damn, the console sales are still slumping (except for the DS).

Also, thats kinda surprising that UFC did so well. I know it got a lot of good buzz in the game press but I didn't think it would be that high profile for the public.

[quote name='Wombat']I had no idea UFC was so popular, is the actual sport really that big?[/QUOTE]

The UFC is basically bigger than boxing at this point. Which brings up the lack of Fight Night Round 4 on the list, didn't it come out this month?

So big question for Infamous, will it sell less in the next month then what it did for its first week? Remember LBP and Killzone came out on the last day of their respective months and each sold more on the first day (which weren't terribly impressive figures) than they did for the entire month after.

[quote name='Wombat']I had no idea UFC was so popular, is the actual sport really that big?[/QUOTE]

Yep:D MMA is bigger than boxing now. Out here in Vegas they even do half and half fight cards of half MMA/half boxing, though the MMA pulls in more people than the boxing. There's also more MMA promotions going on now it seems that there has been for boxing for quite sometime. There's Square Ring productions, which is Roy Jones. Jr.'s, TUF 'N' Enuf (or however they spell it), UFC/WEC, Affliction, etc.

I actually really want to get the UFC game, but I might just rent it for a weekend for the time being.

Sony's forecast for this fiscal year is to move 13 mil PS3's worldwide compared to 10 mil last year. I wonder how reasonable this expectation is. Will a $50 price drop be enough to hit the target?

Regarding Infamous, it has a slight edge in that June is a 5 week reporting period as opposed to 4. Even so, the chances of it charting again next month are very slim.

[quote name='Logg']What about Sacred 2[/QUOTE]

11 New Super Mario Brothers DS Nintendo 87,098
12 Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 76,571
13 Sacred 2: Fallen Angel X360 CDV SW 73,953
14 Halo 3 X360 Microsoft 73,829
15 Call of Duty: World at War X360 Act-Bliz 68,831
16 X Men Origins: Wolverine U.E. PS3 Act-Bliz 58,847
17 Gardening Mama DS Majesco 58,337
18 Lego Star Wars: T.C.S. Wii Lucas Arts 50,708
19 MLB 09: The Show PS3 SCEA 50,522
20 Nintendogs DS Nintendo 50,151

It's cool to see inFamous in the top 10, considering how it came out towards the end of the month.

Badass game though. It deserves it.

---Thoughts---
PSP:
Looks like people were waiting out to see what PSP Go! was all about before they took the plunge. Guess some people liked what they saw.

PS3:
I assume people were waiting out a possible price drop at E3. Should be higher this month.

DS:
Not surprised. I completely understand why so many people buy one each month.

UFC:
HOLY GOD! I didn't expect it to do THAT well.:shock:

Punch Out:
I wish it was a little higher...I never did pick that up, did I? Hmm.....

[quote name='sotc1988']Anybody know how much business Bionic Commando made in May?[/QUOTE]

Not well at all. According to IGN:

"Bionic Commando Rearmed, a high-profile Xbox Live Arcade remake of the original, sold more than 130,000 units across PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in its first week of release. By contrast, the full retail version of Bionic Commando (a sequel to the XBLA title) sold more than 100,000 units less than Rearmed in two weeks of release last month."

So less than 30k.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by jkanownik. I'll forgive him, though, since he knew the difference between a Byronic hero and an anti-hero. ;)

The lame Bionic Commando demo hurt sales. Multiplayer-only demo, night time map, and no easy way for a private room to get acquainted with the bionic arm.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Sony's forecast for this fiscal year is to move 13 mil PS3's worldwide compared to 10 mil last year. I wonder how reasonable this expectation is. Will a $50 price drop be enough to hit the target?
[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. I just don't see the killer, main stream game they can pair with a price drop to get those kind of sales.

And the appeal as a blu ray player is all but gone with stand alone players being so cheap. Still a good deal for someone who wants it for games and blu rays--but I don't see the game library changing enough to get many of those people still on the fence.

Not with current standalone player prices, that I'm sure will get even cheaper this fall. There were several deals for good standalone players for around $150 on black friday last year, and I'm sure there will be even more of those kind of deals this holiday season.

[quote name='mooshie78']I doubt it. I just don't see the killer, main stream game they can pair with a price drop to get those kind of sales.

And the appeal as a blu ray player is all but gone with stand alone players being so cheap. Still a good deal for someone who wants it for games and blu rays--but I don't see the game library changing enough to get many of those people still on the fence.

Not with current standalone player prices, that I'm sure will get even cheaper this fall. There were several deals for good standalone players for around $150 on black friday last year, and I'm sure there will be even more of those kind of deals this holiday season.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't Wal Mart have a $128 player now or am I mistaken?

[quote name='BlueSwim']---Thoughts---
PSP: Looks like people were waiting out to see what PSP Go! was all about before they took the plunge on an iPhone or iPod touch. RIP PSP.[/QUOTE]

Corrected.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']11 New Super Mario Brothers DS Nintendo 87,098
12 Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 76,571
13 Sacred 2: Fallen Angel X360 CDV SW 73,953
14 Halo 3 X360 Microsoft 73,829
15 Call of Duty: World at War X360 Act-Bliz 68,831
16 X Men Origins: Wolverine U.E. PS3 Act-Bliz 58,847
17 Gardening Mama DS Majesco 58,337
18 Lego Star Wars: T.C.S. Wii Lucas Arts 50,708
19 MLB 09: The Show PS3 SCEA 50,522
20 Nintendogs DS Nintendo 50,151[/QUOTE]

It's not nice to give out VGChartz numbers.

[quote name='jkanownik']Corrected.[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh well, the PSP had a nice run.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I suspect July will be a pretty big month for Wii, hardware wise. June though...looks horrible for everyone.

Yes Wombat it is. It's the No. 1 PPV purchase in 2008, beating boxing for the first time ever. I called it in last month's thread.

In terms of the videogame, if another major sport didn't have a game for 5 years and then suddenly a new game came out, and the demo that dropped 3 weeks before release showed it was really awesome, then sales should go through the roof.

My Gamestop had 100 preorders for it, and for the rest of May, it was hard to find in St. Louis as many stores were sold out.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes Wombat it is. It's the No. 1 PPV purchase in 2008, beating boxing for the first time ever. I called it in last month's thread.

In terms of the videogame, if another major sport didn't have a game for 5 years and then suddenly a new game came out, and the demo that dropped 3 weeks before release showed it was really awesome, then sales should go through the roof.

My Gamestop had 100 preorders for it, and for the rest of May, it was hard to find in St. Louis as many stores were sold out.[/QUOTE]

wow, i feel bad for boxing.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Doesn't Wal Mart have a $128 player now or am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

$148

14116828.jpg

[quote name='EXStrike']It's not nice to give out VGChartz numbers.[/QUOTE]

WTF??? Why the hell would you post the VGChartz numbers in the NPD thread and not at least mention you were pulling them from another source? Time to add to the ignore list.

With regard to this NPD versus VGChartz thing... are VGChartz numbers less reliable then NPD? I'm asking this as a bit of a newb. Are VGChartz numbers looked at with disdain, or is this just an issue of "this is the NPD, not the VGChartz thread"?

[quote name='crunchewy']With regard to this NPD versus VGChartz thing... are VGChartz numbers less reliable then NPD? I'm asking this as a bit of a newb. Are VGChartz numbers looked at with disdain, or is this just an issue of "this is the NPD, not the VGChartz thread"?[/QUOTE]

Quoting VGChartz numbers on NEOGAF gets you banned for good reason.

PSPGo will be Sony's last, successful attempt at killing that platform. $250 is absurd when the $180 unit is struggling and all you're doing is removing features..

Slow month all around. i think it's going to be like this at least through august. Wii Sports Resort will give the Wii a boost and should sell well through the end of the year, though.

Yeah however I'm looking for cheaper eBay versions only because my wife wants one for her $360. Not worth $120 imho. Hoping to see a sale on them soon... or score on eBay.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Yeah however I'm looking for cheaper eBay versions only because my wife wants one for her $360. Not worth $120 imho. Hoping to see a sale on them soon... or score on eBay.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking aboot?

tangentially related to sales - I'm curious how UFC will do over the next 3 months compared to the WWE Smackdown series. Not that they're similar games, but in terms of revenue streams, the two companies do (whether they admit it publicly or not) view themselves as competitors.

WWE ruled Pay Per View for more than a decade before UFC began trouncing them. I'm curious to see if this begins to happen in games as well. Smackdown 2009 didn't really hold up the sales numbers of previous iterations.

I think UFC will stay in the top 10 for at least another month. Fans were starved for a new UFC game and it seems like people have been burnt out on Smackdown for at least 2 years now

I was watching a video on gametrailers and I saw this little handheld system, anyone know the name of this little handheld?
167a7t5.jpg

DMK,
Out of curiosity will you be able to get the top 20 per system you had been able to get in previous months or not? Thanks.

bread's done
Back