McCain Pulls Campaign Out Of Michigan

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']In any war, you cede the territory you can't take and march into the territories you might be able to take.

If McCain can win Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania by focusing there, he has some semblance of a chance.[/QUOTE]

But Obama can now divert resources to other battleground states as well. This won't increase the ratio of McCain:Obama spending in other battleground states, so it's a neutral move as far as campaign funding goes. But this is is hit to the McCain campaign any way you slice it, as it's one more blue state and one less purple state.

Now Obama needs Ohio OR Florida OR any two of MN, IN, CO, VA, NC (or one of those five and NH+NV).

Might as well start referring to him as President Obama.

[quote name='Koggit']But...

Might as well start referring to him as President Obama.[/QUOTE]

Nah its not that easy.. the booths will be less plentiful and the polling will be mishandled.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']In any war, you cede the territory you can't take and march into the territories you might be able to take.

If McCain can win Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania by focusing there, he has some semblance of a chance.[/QUOTE]PA will go to Obama I think. It's been a very long time since a Republican won PA, and I don't think they'll be getting it unless a Republican is about to sweep the election. I do think McCain has a good shot at FL.

I think Ohio is the most key state in the election, where whoever gets it will win the election.
[quote name='Koggit']But Obama can now divert resources to other battleground states as well. This won't increase the ratio of McCain:Obama spending in other battleground states, so it's a neutral move as far as campaign funding goes. But this is is hit to the McCain campaign any way you slice it, as it's one more blue state and one less purple state.

Now Obama needs Ohio OR Florida OR any two of MN, IN, CO, VA, NC (or one of those five and NH+NV).

I don't think he'll be getting IN. Voter turnout in Lake County, Marion County, counties with a large college campus, and the center of Allen County would have to be really huge for him to win IN, because IN hasn't voted democratic in an election since 1964.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Koggit']But Obama can now divert resources to other battleground states as well. This won't increase the ratio of McCain:Obama spending in other battleground states, so it's a neutral move as far as campaign funding goes. But this is is hit to the McCain campaign any way you slice it, as it's one more blue state and one less purple state.

I wouldn't call it a lock just yet (hey, how's the president of Diebold voting this year?) but tactically, there's no question it gives McCain far fewer winning combinations. It's great that Palin may have stopped their bleeding in the polls somewhat, but *this* is yesterday's big news, not the debate.

[quote name='trq']I wouldn't call it a lock just yet (hey, how's the president of Diebold voting this year?) but tactically, there's no question it gives McCain far fewer winning combinations. It's great that Palin may have stopped their bleeding in the polls somewhat, but *this* is yesterday's big news, not the debate.[/quote]
Yeah they tried to sneak this one under the radar. It seems like McCain has the early Giuliani theory in effect. If i can just win florida i have a shot.

As a resident of Melbourne, FL, I can safely say that I definitely see more large McCain/Palin signs than little Obama/Biden signs in the area. That however, doesn't employ the full picture, and I'd like to toss in the following:

1. This does not account for the large college crowd in the space coast.
2. Florida will still epically fuck up on election day.

In either case, I still expect Florida to be a large swing state, even if we don't find out who won it until 4 months and 12 Supreme Court cases later.

~HotShotX

Didn't Obama pull his team out of Montana or South Dakota recently? Now that's a game changer.

Anyway, Florida is insignificant for Obama and he's probably going to lose it. All Obama has to do is carry Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio (Ohio being the most important). If he can win those four, he can lose in every other swing or battleground state and still win the election.

I don't understand why people are saying Obama can win NC. Uh...even with an NC senator on the ticket last time, Bush handily won the state. I could've said it was a possibility before McCain put Palin on the ticket because the state hates McCain with a passion, but they love Palin even more than they hate McCain.

Keep in mind this is a state where 25% of the state also believe the former State Senate leader who is now in jail for corruption is a Republican. He's actually a Democrat.

As a resident of NC who goes travels through a split county a few days a week, I'm not seeing a whole lot more support for Obama than Kerry.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't understand why people are saying Obama can win NC. Uh...even with an NC senator on the ticket last time, Bush handily won the state. I could've said it was a possibility before McCain put Palin on the ticket because the state hates McCain with a passion, but they love Palin even more than they hate McCain.

Keep in mind this is a state where 25% of the state also believe the former State Senate leader who is now in jail for corruption is a Republican. He's actually a Democrat.

As a resident of NC who goes travels through a split county a few days a week, I'm not seeing a whole lot more support for Obama than Kerry.[/quote]

Because Democrat Northerners like myself have moved to N.C!

Definitely good news. It's a state Obama needed, and with McCain ceding it Obama can also focus more efforts in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, New Hampshire, Missouri and the other battle ground states.

It's definitely looking very good for him right now. I hope it continues to do so for the next month!

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't understand why people are saying Obama can win NC. Uh...even with an NC senator on the ticket last time, Bush handily won the state. I could've said it was a possibility before McCain put Palin on the ticket because the state hates McCain with a passion, but they love Palin even more than they hate McCain.

As a resident of NC who goes travels through a split county a few days a week, I'm not seeing a whole lot more support for Obama than Kerry.[/quote]

I don't really expect Obama to win NC, but I'd venture a guess that people are saying he could win NC because the polls have been in favor of him (and far better than Kerry's ever were).

[quote name='HotShotX']As a resident of Melbourne, FL, I can safely say that I definitely see more large McCain/Palin signs than little Obama/Biden signs in the area. That however, doesn't employ the full picture, and I'd like to toss in the following:

1. This does not account for the large college crowd in the space coast.
2. Florida will still epically fuck up on election day.

In either case, I still expect Florida to be a large swing state, even if we don't find out who won it until 4 months and 12 Supreme Court cases later.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]You are right HotShot. I saw the voting for a judge in Royal Palm Beach, FL, and how their new voting system is beyond messed up. I expect to see another messed up election in FL.

I see FL going McCain. The last time a democrat one was in 96 with Clinton (in 92 Bush won), mostly because Clinton did a lot of good for the elderly. If Hilary was the democratic candidate, I think she might have gotten FL, but overall, I think it's going to McCain.

[quote name='SpazX']I don't really expect Obama to win NC, but I'd venture a guess that people are saying he could win NC because the polls have been in favor of him (and far better than Kerry's ever were).[/QUOTE]Neither do I. A democrat hasn't won N.C. since......

What I'm thinking is Obama just needs to grab MN, IA, WI, OH, MI, PA, basically Midwest states around IL (which don't always go Republican like IN) and he can win. I think getting CO would be huge too.

[quote name='SpazX']I don't really expect Obama to win NC, but I'd venture a guess that people are saying he could win NC because the polls have been in favor of him (and far better than Kerry's ever were).[/QUOTE]

Yep. Though I don't see him winning either. But it should be closer as the African American turnout, and the younger voter turnout, will likely be much higher than in 2004 and almost all of those new votes will go to Obama.

While I doubt he'd get NC, I think he has a shot at VA. And right now he only really needs like one state.

[quote name='SpazX']While I doubt he'd get NC, I think he has a shot at VA. And right now he only really needs like one state.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think out of Ohio, Florida and Va he just needs to win one of those. He'll win enough of the smaller battle ground states to carry the election if he gets one of those.

Fark had the best headline by far for this story:

Suddenly, John McCain becomes the envy of millions of people in Detroit
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Obama is not going to win Florida or Ohio. Sorry guys. He still had a good chance without those jokes for states though.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']You are right HotShot. I saw the voting for a judge in Royal Palm Beach, FL, and how their new voting system is beyond messed up. I expect to see another messed up election in FL.

I see FL going McCain. The last time a democrat one was in 96 with Clinton (in 92 Bush won), mostly because Clinton did a lot of good for the elderly. If Hilary was the democratic candidate, I think she might have gotten FL, but overall, I think it's going to McCain.[/quote]

Actually, I see it being quite the toss-up state this time around. During the primaries, new voter registration favored Democrats over Republicans 2-to-1. If this trend continues into the general election, were going to see quite the battle, if it isn't covered in the shit of controversy.

~HotShotX

When I was listening to Rush today, the gist of his opinion about McCain ceding Michigan to Obama was: "I don't believe McCain is in the tank for Obama, but I would be hard pressed to find any proof."

The "normal" callers were flipping out over how Obama's ground campaign is running circles around McCain's in several states.

Rush overall response was to advise the callers to stay calm and that McCain was probably waiting for the last 72 hours of the campaign to get aggressive.

LOL. Yeah.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']When I was listening to Rush today, the gist of his opinion about McCain ceding Michigan to Obama was: "I don't believe McCain is in the tank for Obama, but I would be hard pressed to find any proof."

The "normal" callers were flipping out over how Obama's ground campaign is running circles around McCain's in several states.

Rush overall response was to advise the callers to stay calm and that McCain was probably waiting for the last 72 hours of the campaign to get aggressive.

LOL. Yeah.[/quote]

maybe Rush is calm because he knows since its october.. that video of Michelle badmouthing white people is coming out.:roll:

Seems like a smart decision if he has no chance of winning Michigan. Why waste money in a state he can't win when he can spend it in a battleground state?

[quote name='Kaijufan']Seems like a smart decision if he has no chance of winning Michigan. Why waste money in a state he can't win when he can spend it in a battleground state?[/QUOTE]

It's just always a tough call to make. You don't want to waste time in a state you can't win. But when you concede at battle ground state it also means that you opponent doesn't have to do much more and can also step up their efforts in other states. Which isn't good given how much larger a ground effort Obama has in the battle ground states vs. McCain.

It's kind of a tipping point thing I guess, and just tough to tell whether or not it's time to give up and focus elsewhere with the knowledge that your opponent can match your extra efforts in other states since they also can stop focusing on the state you conceded.

bread's done
Back