McDonalds pandering... Cross the line?

xycury

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
365black.gif

http://www.365black.com/365black/

I usually just stalk the vs forums but I figured this might be something to discuss and since I didn't see this, figured I would toss it out there.

My opinion... maybe too much.

This is sort of like the 'I am Asian' promo from a few years back, isn't it?

fuck, I can't eat McDonald's even when I'm drunk. It's not even food. Disgusting.

What......the.....hell ?

Where should I start? It is, by definition, a racist website. Yeah, that's a good place to start.

Stupid, pandering marketing? You bet.

Racist? Well, I suppose if your idea of "racist" is merely mentioning race, then sure.

Don't get me wrong - that is a pretty absurd and intellectually shallow criterion for defining "racism," but I expect no less from you.

Don't ever mention to bmulligan that you're of any particular race/ethnic background, or else you're a racist. Don't mention your sex, either, lest you be a sexist as well.

Not racist, but incredibly stupid. Are you sure this isn't fake? It's just too stupid to be real - "people whose lives have been touched by McDonald's"? Happy to be a part of writing a love song about McNuggets? What the hell is wrong with these people?

[quote name='62t']i wonder what happen if they make a 365white.com[/quote]

Is that a genuine question or one of those "clever" jokes?

It wouldn't make any sense in the first place, seeing as white culture and achievement is already celebrated 365 days a year, but pandering to white people would be a waste of money anyway, which is why they wouldn't do it.

[quote name='Koggit']there's always that guy in feb asking "yeah why isn't there a WHITE IHSTORY MONTH?!!?"[/QUOTE]

Person A: You know how much shit people would get if we made a WHITE Entertainment Channel? This is so racist!
Person B: Shut up. What's on tv?
Person A: Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, The Office, Lost, or Desperate Housewives.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Don't ever mention to bmulligan that you're of any particular race/ethnic background, or else you're a racist. Don't mention your sex, either, lest you be a sexist as well.[/QUOTE]

It's not that mentioning race is racist, it's just that it is (should be) about as consequential to your identity ad the birth mark on your neck. Unless you want to make the argument that there is such a thing as natural physical racial benefits that do and should matter.

Sex is a different story, because a persons sex determines certain chemical tendencies that will ultimately play a part in a persons identity.

[quote name='SpazX']Is that a genuine question or one of those "clever" jokes?

It wouldn't make any sense in the first place, seeing as white culture and achievement is already celebrated 365 days a year, but pandering to white people would be a waste of money anyway, which is why they wouldn't do it.[/QUOTE]

[attempted thread hijack]

That brings to mind an interesting question: Do people really believe that there is a distinct "white culture" and a distinct "black culture," among others, in this country anymore? If so, why? Maybe that was true back in the times of Jim Crow, but at this point the average white kid is probably more likely to be into rap than country. I'd argue strongly that there is only "American culture." Disagree/agree?

[/attempted thread hijack]

Doesn't sound very racist to me. Silly, but not racist. Having recording artist Kieth Sweat on the front page talking about his love for chicken nuggets is silly. The entire website doesn't make sense to me, the majority of the black people who go to McDonalds have no idea that it ( the website ) exists nor does it affect whether they eat there or not. How would they even get around to seeing it? Why would they go to it?

So I'm the only one who actually loves McDonalds food?

Also, I believe that culture is more so separated now between the classes and areas than race (i.e lower class ghetto black kids will be pretty much the same as lower class ghetto white kids).

Mickey D's has a long way to go before they reach the level CNN panders to blacks. Maybe they think because they're not called Fox News only black people watch.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It's not that mentioning race is racist, it's just that it is (should be) about as consequential to your identity ad the birth mark on your neck. Unless you want to make the argument that there is such a thing as natural physical racial benefits that do and should matter.

Sex is a different story, because a persons sex determines certain chemical tendencies that will ultimately play a part in a persons identity.[/QUOTE]

Do you celebrate your ethnic heritage at all? Your family's lineage? Any St. Patty's Day-quality fun in your household? Eat lutefisk? Borscht? HP Sauce on everything?

Color-blindness is an absurdity and an impossibility.

Check out this copy:

Like the unique African Baobab tree, which nourishes its community with its leaves and fruit, McDonald's has branched out to the African-American community nourishing it with valuable programs and opportunities.

and I thought their burgers were bad...

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you celebrate your ethnic heritage at all? Your family's lineage? Any St. Patty's Day-quality fun in your household? Eat lutefisk? Borscht? HP Sauce on everything?

Color-blindness is an absurdity and an impossibility.[/QUOTE]

are you saying most white americans celebrate their heritage at some point? i don't think many do

[quote name='camoor']Check out this copy:

and I thought their burgers were bad...[/QUOTE]
This is real?

[quote name='Koggit']are you saying most white americans celebrate their heritage at some point? i don't think many do[/QUOTE]

Their own or any? Doesn't matter to me, but I suspect it comes up at some point for all of us, and much more frequently than they think.

I don't know what's worse, this or KFC's new grilled chicken commercials, perfectly stereotyped of course.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't know what's worse, this or KFC's new grilled chicken commercials, perfectly stereotyped of course.[/QUOTE]

Sandra Lee's inability to cook a fucking thing for herself is not a stereotype.

Actually, i don't think i really celebrate anything specifically related to my heritage. Not that i'd want to anyway, i'm not wearing a kilt or eating haggis. :lol:

[quote name='JolietJake']Actually, i don't think i really celebrate anything specifically related to my heritage. Not that i'd want to anyway, i'm not wearing a kilt or eating haggis. :lol:[/quote]

Funny you mention this - McDonalds has a history of going around the UK (particularly Scotland) and using the legal system to shut down any independent restaurants selling anything using the "Mc" prefix or operating under a "Mc" name.

An excellent example of how much respect they really have for international customs.

For some reason, I can't take a company seriously when they take what is supposed to be an honest statement about the company and register it as a trademark.

"Deeply rooted in the community®!"

Yes, that message is straight from the heart. Thanks for caring.

[quote name='mykevermin']Sandra Lee's inability to cook a fucking thing for herself is not a stereotype.[/QUOTE]

haha.. I had never heard of her before, Googled the name, the first video was for making chocolate truffles.. she, literally, put store-bought frosting on a plate and refrigerated it for 15 minutes. wtf.

:rofl:

The only time I ever watched her show she was "making" a vodka lemonade.

Ingredients:
Vodka
Lemonade
Ice

Utensils:
Pitcher
Wooden spoon

no fuckin' joke. And she has a show on food network.

[quote name='camoor']Funny you mention this - McDonalds has a history of going around the UK (particularly Scotland) and using the legal system to shut down any independent restaurants selling anything using the "Mc" prefix or operating under a "Mc" name.

An excellent example of how much respect they really have for international customs.[/quote]
Well i'd also blame the British legal system for allowing it.

McDonald's has the golden arches, I have the golden arcs.
McDonald's has the Big Mac, I have the Big Mic.

My buns have no seeds.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you celebrate your ethnic heritage at all? Your family's lineage? Any St. Patty's Day-quality fun in your household? Eat lutefisk? Borscht? HP Sauce on everything?[/quote]
Not personally, no. And I really do attribute most of the problems in the history of the world to ancestral worship, heritage pride, and other such focusing on people's differences.

I don't buy into the myth that embracing ones culture and heritage differences ultimately lead to a better society. It's more the opposite, if you look at history.

Color-blindness is an absurdity and an impossibility.

Probably.
So is the war on drugs. But good arguments can be made for why it should never be abandoned.

We may never achieve true color-blindness, but it's worse to encourage embracing racial differences and celebrating dna pride. Focusing society on what we have in common will save this world, not what makes us different.

Just like in mass effect, in a couple hundred years most of the planet will be color blind because most of the planet will look the same due to geometric globalization. Our ancestors will have to find more obscure reasons for hegemony.

[quote name='mykevermin']Not at all.[/quote]
The same commercial could have had a white kid in a white urban neighborhood.

I don't see it as racist, if anything it's age discriminatory for suggesting that teenagers who have more responsibility act more responsibly.

It's like sony's commercial with the white PSP all over again, it wasn't racist but it was very stupid, this will probably piss off both blacks and whites.

"McDonalds All-American Achievers" = Little Lebowski Urban Achievers

McDonalds is pretty cool racially.

Edit: I clicked through the link and it turns out McDonalds Achievers are historicly significant black people, I was hoping for a picture of Ronald McD with a whole bunch of black kids around him... bummer.

It's not racist until they release the McGreens, the McCorn Bread, the McNeckbone, McChillins, McPig Feet, etc.

They probably do have all this stuff down south.

LMAO that McDonalds commercial is so messed up. It alludes to the young black male character as previously being irresponsible and a waste to socieity ( someone believed in him enough to give him a chance ), and then " where is he working?" " welcome to McDonalds!". Such a huge step up from shootin' some b ball outside the school.

what the fuck is a chillin?

I've heard of chit'lins and cracklin', but not a chillin'. sounds like those frozen lemon things you would buy at the amusement park.

[quote name='HovaEscobar']It's not racist until they release the McGreens, the McCorn Bread, the McNeckbone, McChillins, McPig Feet, etc.

They probably do have all this stuff down south.

LMAO that McDonalds commercial is so messed up. It alludes to the young black male character as previously being irresponsible and a waste to socieity ( someone believed in him enough to give him a chance ), and then " where is he working?" " welcome to McDonalds!". Such a huge step up from shootin' some b ball outside the school.[/QUOTE]

This is undoubtedly the most racist statement in this thread. Cornbread is a staple in my household, I make it at least once a week. In fact, I made it this morning for our Mother's Day celebration with the family. Chicken and turkey necks make good soup, greens are good for everyone, and every part of the pig is good eating. And I have no idea what a chillin is. Perhaps you can describe it to me so that I may better understand your slang dialect.

Are you also telling me that McDonald's is racist against northern whites of poor Irish, southern heritage ? Incidently, from that commercial, one could deduce that ALL youth are irresponsible and wastes to society regardless if they're black, white, or orange. Something tells me youve never been in a position of responsibiliity for groups of youths of all racial backgrounds to discover this absolute truth.

bread's done
Back