McFarlane Takes over Simpsons Toy Line

Doylerulez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Found out about it at figures.com, but from McFarlane's web page :
Woo Hoo!" McFarlane Toys proudly announced a new licensing agreement with Fox Licensing & Merchandising bringing an all-new line of action figures based on characters from the hugely successful FOX series The Simpsons to fans everywhere. These amazing new Simpsons action figures will be released this fall in two separate multi-figure boxed sets. Each box will contain a different set of action figures re-creating favorite moments. Fans of the show will be saving up their "D'oh!" to get their hands on these hot new Simpsons products.

McFarlane Toys will breathe life into its version of The Simpsons action figures through sculpting, poses and paint applications. Founder and CEO Todd McFarlane will personally work with The Simpsons creative team to capture their favorite legendary and key iconic moments from The Simpsons and bring to life the snapshot storytelling that McFarlane Toys is best known for with its fans.

"As a fan of The Simpsons since its very inception, I know our toy company will bring as much innovation to these new character products as Matt Groening and his crew have done all these years," said Todd McFarlane. "My goal is to bring out very intriguing items that will reward the fans who have supported this show. We want to push the envelope so that the true essence of the show is captured."

"We are really excited to be working with McFarlane Toys to develop the next generation of Simpsons collectibles which will capture some truly unforgettable moments from the series," said Peter Byrne, Executive Vice President of Licensing & Merchandising at FOX. "McFarlane Toys has an exceptional reputation in the action figure category and we're looking forward to developing some really unique products for the huge Simpsons fan base out there."

The new line of Simpsons toys will be made available through two limited boxed sets in the Fall of 2005 with a full product line hitting shelves in 2006.

I collected a lot of the Playmates Simpsons figures, which ended last year, and I try to avoid McFarlane, so I'm torn. They make some nicely detailed figures, but they have awful articulation and some have stupid poses (see Ash with chainsaw). It doesn't help that The Simpsons popularity is waning aside from the DVDs. Hopefully we will have some prototypes soon enough.

Think of what he can do. I would buy a skiing Homer only partially over a nut busting mogul, or a little diorama of Burns getting shot.

I dont really play with my action figures any more, so i dont mind the bad articulation...he just has to make sure they wont get screwed up over time (Neo from Matrix 1- lobby scene, he's top heavy, end up laying down with the gun over time)

Eh, if they do another Dr. Stephen Hawking figure, I would forgive all.

And in this case, Simpsons figures don't really need articualtion, I just have past grievences with figures that don't move and won't stand.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I thought the guy went bankrupt.[/quote]

His corporation went bankrupt, but there are complicated procedures you can use to worm your way out of bad situations.

[quote name='Wshakspear']

I dont really play with my action figures any more[/quote]

What is "really" doing in there? Do you play with them sometimes? Or do you just play with the ones on the toilet tank while you're dropping the kids off at the pool or what?

mcfarlane is the ea of the toy figure industry, and now they have the simpsons brand.. we r teh d00medz

i think i speak for everyone when i say: mcbain. action. figure.

McFarlane toys are the only ones I buy, I'm sure he'll do a nice job with Simpsons figures. I just hope he doesn't turn them into sick looking figures, Marge with gigantic boobs or Bart with ten pounds of ammo strapped to him while smoking a cigar and holding Nelson's head in his hand.

[quote name='Backlash'][quote name='Wshakspear']

I dont really play with my action figures any more[/quote]

What is "really" doing in there? Do you play with them sometimes? Or do you just play with the ones on the toilet tank while you're dropping the kids off at the pool or what?[/quote]

I have some in little scenes. Hellboy Smashing a Silver Surfer while a WC3 Night elf is shooting him in the back.

And of course Adventure Kermit whipping Fire Dog Ren

[quote name='tcrash247']McFarlane toys are the only ones I buy, I'm sure he'll do a nice job with Simpsons figures. I just hope he doesn't turn them into sick looking figures, Marge with gigantic boobs or Bart with ten pounds of ammo strapped to him while smoking a cigar and holding Nelson's head in his hand.[/quote]

Well, Marge did have giant boobs once.

Lisa: "Mom, your endowments are bigger than Harvard's!"

I think it's a good move. I try not to collect anything like that, but the McFarlane toys ALMOST made me start collecting them. The Movie Monsters and other were pretty sweet looking

[quote name='opportunity777']Say what you want about McFarlane, but his products are always top notch in my book.[/quote]

As in mine. I find he creates very quality toys even though some don't have good articulation and move well. I mostly just put them into cool scenes or leave them in the box but don't really play with them so I don't care about that aspect of them. I think this is actually pretty cool that he got the license. I wouldn't mind seeing what he does with the Halloween special toys.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='opportunity777']Say what you want about McFarlane, but his products are always top notch in my book.[/quote]

As in mine. I find he creates very quality toys even though some don't have good articulation and move well. I mostly just put them into cool scenes or leave them in the box but don't really play with them so I don't care about that aspect of them. I think this is actually pretty cool that he got the license. I wouldn't mind seeing what he does with the Halloween special toys.[/quote]

I'd have to disagree.
Many of the McFarlane toys I've seen have terrible articulation, a wildly varying quality of paint apps, and some pretty weak quality control. (I've seen McToy's with arms and legs broken off... while still in the box and on the shelf.

Other toymakers in similar market segments and price points just make them look silly. Toybiz, for example, makes a much superior super hero product in the Marvel Legends line... it puts the Spawn figures to shame right now. Sure, some of the spawn figs look pretty, but most of the Marvel Legends figures have similar design quality, and have multiple orders of magnitude more articulation (10-20 points usually, and some have upwards of 30. For a character like Spiderman, that makes a huge difference.)

Bandai jumps all over them in terms of support of the source material... look at the Gundam toylines... just about ever suit that was in on of the series (even if only for seconds) have figures made of them.

This is the newest on I bought, gettting the gun on the left hand was a FREAK'n bitch and a half.

000_0112.jpg

bread's done
Back