Me v. Overstock.com

m0nkeybl1tz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Since Overstock.com wouldn't ship a PS2 to a PO box, I tried to find a price close to their $135. After some research, I realized that I'd have to pay at least $150-155 at any other reputable store. So, I figured I could ship it to my parents' house, and have them ship it to me, which would end up at about $140. However, at the Check Out page, I
a) couldn't get it to update my shipping information and
b) couldn't get the 10% off to show up.

So, I (stupidly, I know) clicked Submit Order, and was taken to a page showing my receipt, and asking me to pay for it, since I decided to pay with PayPal. Well, fuck that. Instead, I went to their main page to look into order cancellations. Well, they apparently don't do them. They say you have to let the order go through then return it, at which point they charge you a restocking fee. I'm not sure if the restocking fee is going to be the $4.95 the customer service guy said, or the 15% ($22.50) the website says they charge for electronics. But it's not only the money, but the principle as well, since I'm sure they could call the warehouse and tell them to ignore the order.

So, first, am I right to be a bit put off? Also, can they do anything, since I didn't actually pay for it? And if they can, is there anything I can do to avoid it? Thanks for your help.

I think the restocking fee would only come into effect if it was opened and non-defective. If you don't open it and send it back that is just a plain return, and should not be a fee for that.

I'm confused... if you couldn't change your shipping address, doesn't that mean they're going to try and ship it to a PO Box, which they supposedly can't do with a PS2 anyways?

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I'm confused... if you couldn't change your shipping address, doesn't that mean they're going to try and ship it to a PO Box, which they supposedly can't do with a PS2 anyways?[/QUOTE]

that's what i was thinking

Uh simple solution if its being shipped fedex or ups call and have them hold it at your local distribution center assuming one is near and pick it up yourself. I've done that a couple of times, usually when they require signatures and I'm not around, but I don't see why that wouldn't work in this case. Assuming theres a distro center near and you still want the item, and that I understood the question right.

K, let me clarify. First, what they claim is that as soon as I hit Submit Order, a message was sent to their warehouse telling them to send it. Now, here's the kicker: there's a restocking fee EVEN IF THEY DON'T SEND IT. I can call them in a couple days and have them not ship it, yet I'd still be charged a restocking fee. And, as for the address, what happened is this: I can enter the new shipping address, yet it will still say they can't ship it. So, I tried to hit reload, but it just resets to the previous address. Unfortunately, I had the working address entered when I submitted it, so I'm assuming that's what they got... Right now I'm not worried about getting a PS2, but avoiding paying $20 for nothing.

I'm confused as to how they are going to actually take any money from you if you didn't supply credit card information. Are they seriously going to ship it without even receiving payment? I think not.

[quote name='Zing']I'm confused as to how they are going to actually take any money from you if you didn't supply credit card information. Are they seriously going to ship it without even receiving payment? I think not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah no shit. If they do i know a Ben Dover that would like a new surround system.

Well, my fear was that they'd send it and claim I owed them $150. However, you guys turned out to be right, and Overstock turned out to be assholes. Here's the e-mail I got this morning:
Dear _________,

You recently placed an order (#________) with Overstock.com and indicated that you would complete payment via PayPal. It has been at least four hours since your order was taken and payment has not been received. Subsequently your order has been cancelled.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us at: [email protected] Please include order number ________ on any communication.

Keep in mind that we welcome your business and we always accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover in addition to PayPal.

Please come back and see us soon!

Thank you,
Customer Service, Overstock.com
Can't cancel orders indeed.

bread's done
Back