Mech games - recommend me the best one(s)

boyward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
After years of ignoring the mech genre, I'm finally ready to get into the cockpit of a towering metal mech. I own all the current-generation consoles, so I'm open to pretty much any recommendation, but I KNOW I can't afford the Capcom one that has the $200 controller. So where should I start? And if I get only one mech game, which one should it be?

I'm going to come in with the offbeat answer, but I say Ring of Red.

If you're a novice at mech games (like me) then it's got a really great gradual introduction.

The game also gives you time to think and strategize.

However if you're looking for run-and-gun action then this game isn't it, this game features hulking WW2 style iron giants firing artillary and commanding specialty troops.

If you've got a PC, get Mechwarrior, it's the winner hands down.

I also liked Steel Battalion, and I have some game called S.L.A.I for PS2 I got real cheap and never opened.

Front Mission 4 was ok but maybe isn't the mech game you're looking for.

Mechassualt 2 for the Xbox it top-notch online, and probably good in single-player as well. Its cheap enough to give a try.

[quote name='Rozz']Mechassualt 2 for the Xbox it top-notch online, and probably good in single-player as well. Its cheap enough to give a try.[/quote]

i thought it was a clusterfuck...90% of the lobbies were bunk. i don't know if the optimatch system was screwed, but i had an awful time. the good news is that you can get this title for less than $10.

it was the last game i bought at launch...halo2 was the first. it had soooo much potential, but something just wasn't right about it imo...maybe it was the weak single player and lack of customization options.

[quote name='gaelan']i thought it was a clusterfuck...90% of the lobbies were bunk. i don't know if the optimatch system was screwed, but i had an awful time. the good news is that you can get this title for less than $10.

it was the last game i bought at launch...halo2 was the first. it had soooo much potential, but something just wasn't right about it imo...maybe it was the weak single player and lack of customization options.[/quote]

It depends on what time you play, if your going to go on at 7 A.M. your not gonna find many people online but at its peak hour theres plenty of competetion.... Give it a try.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']TEEEEEEEECH ROMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNCERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! (just coppying the annoncer)

actually, no... that wasn't that great of a game.[/QUOTE]
I liked Tech Romancer...

Anyway, someone mentioned the Zone of the Enders games. Get those. Also get Front Mission 3. It was the best one in that series. I'm also going to recommend Gundam vs. Z Gundam. Really fun game, especially if you're a Gundam fan like me.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I liked Tech Romancer...

Anyway, someone mentioned the Zone of the Enders games. Get those. Also get Front Mission 3. It was the best one in that series. I'm also going to recommend Gundam vs. Z Gundam. Really fun game, especially if you're a Gundam fan like me.[/QUOTE]

I second the ZOE and Front Mission... I normally don't like strategy, but front mission is always an exception for me ever since part 3.

Also, if you're really into hardcore then get Armored Core even though it's not my type of game.

You should be more specific about what type of mech game you want. Fighting games? Strategy games? Action games? There are a lot of choices. Since you don't want to pay $200 for Steel Battalion, I would say your best bests are the Mech Warrior games for PC, the Mech Assault games for Xbox, Zone of the Enders 2 for PS2 and the Armored Core series for PS2. Unless you are a fan of the anime, stay away from Gundam games since most of them are not good (although I hear good things about the one for Dreamcast).

Can't believe I forgot Robot Alchemic Drive. I love that game. It has a really unique control scheme, and it does a good job making you feel like you're piloting a giant robot.

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone.

[quote name='Machine']You should be more specific about what type of mech game you want. Fighting games? Strategy games? Action games?[/QUOTE]

Turn-based strategy games, or games where you walk around and blow things up. Not fighting games (I hated Virtual On Troopers).

Chromehounds comes out in a couple of weeks.

You get to customize your mech to your heart's content, then you go smash other mechs. Offline and online modes are included.

Zone of The Enders is the fastest mech game I've played, very very good. ZOE2 is better than the first though, so I would reccommend that one.

Armored Core is my other reccommendation. You get a mech, you take on missions to get money, then you customize your mech. There is an insane amount of customization involved, so that was a big plus IMO. I really enjoy the Armored Core games.

Zone of the Enders is the best mech game out there by a mile. It's the only one with the speed and intensity that a mech game should have. If Kojima made a PS3 sequel, it would probably end up being the greatest game of all time.

hands down ZOE 1 and 2. Mechassualt was ok. Remember Mechwarrior for Genesis anyone? That game was IMPOSSIBLE but that game kicked ass too. Pick up RAD also.

[quote name='Maynard']hands down ZOE 1 and 2. Mechassualt was ok. Remember Mechwarrior for Genesis anyone? That game was IMPOSSIBLE but that game kicked ass too. Pick up RAD also.[/QUOTE]

There was no Mechwarrior game for the Genesis, but there was a Battletech game, which is basically the same exact thing. Yeah, it's a bit tough, but I managed to beat it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've heard good things about Faselei! if you can find a copy or even own a NGPC... in fact I should start looking for that so I can feed my hungry NGPC.[/quote]

I heard somewhere that Faselei! was cancelled a long time ago...

It was cancelled, but the game was completely finished. I believe it was even shipped out to some stores. So there's copies of it floating around Ebay.

I'll second WhoKnows recommendation of the Armored Core series. I have loved AC games since the first one on the PS1.

If your into tinkering with your mech, this is the series for you. Hundreds of different parts & weapons let you completely customize your mech to fit your playing style. If you want a fast and lightly armored scout type mech, you can build it. Want a massively armored beast that can blow away anything in front of it? Build one. The variety of parts and weapons in the AC series is astounding.

Some haters may complain about the control scheme, but since Ive been playing soo long, Im used to it. Some of the newer games in the series have added simplet analog controls, but you can still use the classic setup if you like. Either way, you'll get used to controlling the game in no time.

And the best part is, most of the PS2 Armored Core games can be had for well under $20.

Might as well close this topic now becuase i am going to suggests Another Century's Episode 2. think Armored Core gameplay with super robot war licenses. You got all your major anime licnese you can think of. If you are on a budget you can get the first Another Century's Episode pretty cheap, as it is a buget reprint.

If you cant import get the arcade style capcom made gundam games, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon or Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam

Virtual On hands down best mech game ever. NO other game has been able to replicate the fluid experience that mech fighting should be. Steel batallion was nice but most the buttons were useless.

[quote name='62t']Might as well close this topic now becuase i am going to suggests Another Century's Episode 2. think Armored Core gameplay with super robot war licenses. You got all your major anime licnese you can think of. If you are on a budget you can get the first Another Century's Episode pretty cheap, as it is a buget reprint.

If you cant import get the arcade style capcom made gundam games, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon or Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam[/QUOTE]

Nevermind, ACE 2 is definately one to try out if you got the money and the ability to play it.

bread's done
Back