mechanical vs. electrical engineering career

quartz

CAG Veteran
Feedback
5 (100%)
anyone know how is mechanical and electrical's job finding rate, in terms which one has the fastest and best chance of finding a job first. Also, which has more salary for entree level engineer? and which has higher probability of getting rise faster?

thx

[quote name='quartz']anyone know how is mechanical and electrical's job finding rate, in terms which one has the fastest and best chance of finding a job first. Also, which has more salary for entree level engineer? and which has higher probability of getting rise faster?

thx[/quote]

It all depends what you do. You could go into aerospace as a mech E. DO signals work as an EE. Or do chip design. There are a toon of subsets and specializations.

I graduated with an EE degree and haven't had any luck finding a job. I'm currently working ot a power utility and I like it but I'm a emp. I'm waiting for them to hire me and I expect to make at leats $50k and I'd prefer around $60k. I know upper management makes six digits.

I was actually trained in circuit design but I like the utility work. It's so easy I really only work four hours a day. There's no pressure except in emergencies. And I may make less money but I get great benefits including both a pension and a 401k. Most tech companies will only give the latter.

That is, I will get this stuff once they hire me full time.

I'm fairly certain EEs make more money.

btw, I hope this is not to help choose a major or something.

well im in EE right now, but i just hate programming. It takes so much of my time. im more leanning towards mechanical engineering since its more designing using CAD and less programming.

[quote name='quartz']

well im in EE right now, but i just hate programming. It takes so much of my time. im more leanning towards mechanical engineering since its more designing using CAD and less programming.[/quote]

What year are yoou and have you done any vlsi?

For job finding, a lot of it depends on where you go to school. I was an EE in Michigan, home of the "Big Three" car companies (well, I guess Ford is a former member now). So as you might imagine, the job market was considerably skewed towards MEs and Systems (which was a seperate EE major at my school).

For an EE like me, it was very difficult to even get interviewed, because by default, a company has to like you enough at initial impression to fly you all the way out to California or wherever for a real interview.

But of course, if you're going to school on the west coast or in Texas, I imagine that you will have a much easier time as an EE.

As far as money goes, I know that I am making more as an EE than just about any of my friends (with possible exceptions of CEs). However, you have to also look at the fact that a lot of EE jobs are in high-cost-of-living locations. So raw salary isn't always indicitative of true job value. You have to look at the total package. and evaluate what you really value more. If you're not living in a cool place, all the money in the world won't change it.

As for advancement, I wouldn't worry about that if you're trying to choose a major. I can almost gurantee that whatever you think now will change once you actually get involved in real engineering. Some people find that they love engineering so much, they always want to be "down in the trenches." Other people get tired of how hard it is, and want to go back to school for MBAs or Law degrees. Other people just learn to play the stock market and aim to retire early.

There are a billion possibilities once you get out in the real world. If you're sharp and motivated, you can make anything happen.

[quote name='quartz']

well im in EE right now, but i just hate programming. It takes so much of my time. im more leanning towards mechanical engineering since its more designing using CAD and less programming.[/quote]

Well, I think it's more important to find something you really like than look at average starting salaries. It's a lot easier to get above average starting salaries if you excel at what you do (and it helps a lot if you enjoy what you do).

What kind of programming are you doing that's making you hate it? Because I'm pretty sure there are plenty of EE jobs that don't require a lot of programming. But then, if you're more into mech e material, you might want to consider switching.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='quartz']

What year are yoou and have you done any vlsi?[/quote]

im still a 2nd semester freshman and no i havent done any vlsi.

at University of Texas at Austin btw

Also remember that salaries vary with location, education, and experience. Check out local companies who hire engineers and see what they are looking for. Around here the Air Force base and its contractors are the biggest employers, so they're looking for a lot of signal intelligence and aeronautical engineers.

Also remember that most work is done on computers these days, so learning any programming languages can only help you in your career. My last co-op was programming in MATLAB, which I hadn't done much beforehand. If there's one program to learn to use in Engineering, it's MATLAB.

I'm in elctronic and computer engineering technology and I love it. It's not as must programming and more hands on. I heard that most starting salaries are 50k and up. Also if you're in a Major you don't like get out before it's too late.

Don't major in engineering. I made this mistake and college was way harder than it needed to be. Major in something easy like Marketing or Finance (make sure it's something business related) and then go to grad school. In the long run you will make more than an engineer ever will and it will be a lot easier to get through. College is for casual sex and beer - if you've got homework to do you might not get laid as much.

[quote name='quartz'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='quartz']

im still a 2nd semester freshman and no i havent done any vlsi.[/quote]

Usually VLSI is for seniors. But what I would do is talk with a professor about doing vlsi now and volunteer time. VLSI is a cad type skill where you actually etch the pathways on silicon. You literally draw your chips. You draw gates, and all kind of stuff. I''ve seen grad students buld their own working 8-bit processors. Though I never went to grad school.

So I suggest if you're interested in doing a cad style work and an EE major to get into vlsi. That's major stuff and it pays really well. We're talking about the guys who design the latest graphics and cpus. See, most normal chips can be generated through programming in vhdl. But VHDL will never be as creative or instinctive in creating optimal pathways than the human mind. Thats why most truly cutting edge stuff is done in vlsi. It's really great.

I actually took the grad level class as a junior because I was so into it. And even thought I had a tough time because it was above my level, (I got a C), the prof recognized I really wanted to learn and let me be lab TA which I did for two years which was an excellent decision.

So I recommend you start looking into that. It's not easy. But it is different than programming all day and its more creative.

the thing is that in EE, im having so much homework that i barely have any life of my own. and i heard from my friends in ME, that ME is much more laid back, even the professors are more laid back.

Where I'm from (Bay Area, CA), I'm told that defense companies are more stable and have better benefits, but salaries tend to be lower. (I have no way of verifying this, btw.) But around there, there are ton of commerical companies, so your options are greater (as are your living costs).

My parents went to school at UT Austin... I was born around there somewhere... Good engineering school, I'm told :)

If you're a freshmen, you probably haven't gotten into anything that's really indepth EE. I think the best way to really know if you like or hate something is to take a lab in the subject. Most of the programming in my EE classes were for programming chips or for chip design or things like Matlab that make calculations easier... and those are fairly simple programming situations. If you're talking about C++ or Java, if you're strictly hardware, I don't think you really have to deal with those more hardcore languages much. But in the end, you still have to like the overall subject.

I'm an ME. I'd have to say that in general, you will likely make more starting out as an EE. Not sure about what happens after that, though. I know what I make and what I'd like to make are two different things.

Keep in mind that not all ME's do CAD work. I have a design/product engineering position now and I do 0 cad work. This is the second position I have had and I didn't do cad at the last one either. In both positions, we have designers who do that work and are not ME's and don't get paid like engineers to do it either. On the other hand, some jobs require lots of CAD. If you go ME, make sure you learn lots of CAD. Its better to have it than not.

Either one is a good choice. If you want to make lots of money though, go with one of the earlier posters who said major in business or finance and then get an MBA. You will make more this way than as an engineer.

[quote name='quartz']the thing is that in EE, im having so much homework that i barely have any life of my own. and i heard from my friends in ME, that ME is much more laid back, even the professors are more laid back.[/quote]

If you want laid back, don't be an engineering major :)

[quote name='garoehr2']I'm an ME. I'd have to say that in general, you will likely make more starting out as an EE. Not sure about what happens after that, though. I know what I make and what I'd like to make are two different things.

Keep in mind that not all ME's do CAD work. I have a design/product engineering position now and I do 0 cad work. This is the second position I have had and I didn't do cad at the last one either. In both positions, we have designers who do that work and are not ME's and don't get paid like engineers to do it either. On the other hand, some jobs require lots of CAD. If you go ME, make sure you learn lots of CAD. Its better to have it than not.

Either one is a good choice. If you want to make lots of money though, go with one of the earlier posters who said major in business or finance and then get an MBA. You will make more this way than as an engineer.[/quote]

since UT's business school harder get into than EE, im think of doing an engineering major for undergrad, the for graduate school im thinking of doing MBA

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='quartz'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar'][quote name='quartz']

im still a 2nd semester freshman and no i havent done any vlsi.[/quote]

Usually VLSI is for seniors. But what I would do is talk with a professor about doing vlsi now and volunteer time. VLSI is a cad type skill where you actually etch the pathways on silicon. You literally draw your chips. You draw gates, and all kind of stuff. I''ve seen grad students buld their own working 8-bit processors. Though I never went to grad school.

So I suggest if you're interested in doing a cad style work and an EE major to get into vlsi. That's major stuff and it pays really well. We're talking about the guys who design the latest graphics and cpus. See, most normal chips can be generated through programming in vhdl. But VHDL will never be as creative or instinctive in creating optimal pathways than the human mind. Thats why most truly cutting edge stuff is done in vlsi. It's really great.

I actually took the grad level class as a junior because I was so into it. And even thought I had a tough time because it was above my level, (I got a C), the prof recognized I really wanted to learn and let me be lab TA which I did for two years which was an excellent decision.

So I recommend you start looking into that. It's not easy. But it is different than programming all day and its more creative.[/quote]

Your post is sort of misleading. While it is true that as an undergrad, you will do manual layout by hand, in the corporate world, engineers do not do layout. There are mask designers who's sole function is to turn your schematics into layouts. Those are lesser-paid, lesser educated people who have technical training in that specific function.

As an EE, you are expected to understand how to read layout. For example, if I'm trying to fix a speedpath, I have to be able to open the layout and see whether I can resize a device, move a cell to improve routing, etc. But generally, you do not physically make the change; you tell your mask desginer to do it. A company is not going to pay you an engineer's salary to draw shapes.

Real EE CAD is using tools like SPICE (usually in the form of Cadence), MATLAB, etc, to help you design circuits, and in the case of VLSI, knowing how to use timing, power, noise, etc. simulators to verify chip design.

That being said, I agree that if you want to work for an IC manufacturer (whether its someone like Intel or someone like Analog Devices), you should definately take an undergrad VLSI class. While its not quite how its done in the "real world," it will do a very good job of giving you the basics.

bread's done
Back