MechWarrior 4 and Expansions FREE!!

CrimsonPaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Not sure if this goes here or in the Old School thread, but it's been announced that in honor of BattleTech's 25th anniversary they're going to be giving away MechWarrior 4 and all expansions for free on MekTek.net. Info taken from here:
In honor of BattleTech’s 25th anniversary, Smith & Tinker has authorized MekTek.net and MekTek Studios to distribute MechWarrior 4 (along with its expansion packs) completely free. For years, MekTek.net has been the central point for online distribution of MechWarrior 4 expansion packs. Now they can provide the core game free to the fans as well. Keep an eye on BattleTech.com—the free download will be available soon!
My PC's getting old, but I'm sure it'll still play this. Loved MW3, I'm sure I'll dig 4

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Puffa469']I'll be grabbing this the moment it's available. Time to dust of my Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick.[/QUOTE]

I have this joystick as well as HOTAS Cougar (F16 replica) and I often prefer this joystick for MW4. It's like it was made for this game.

Oh man, I was a big Mechwarriors/Robot Sims back in the day of my 200mhz Pentium machine.

And also, looks like I'm in the market for a Joystick all of the sudden...

I know what I'm going to say is not the way of the cag but I would rather pay for this game and not have adds if they fill it with adds to make it free. However after looking online and only seeing it on amazon when it comes to retailers. I think I will take the free one seeing how amazon has it for 80-90 bucks for the set. I have MechWarrior 2 and one or 2 of the expansions but never got a chance to play 3 or 4. I would like to pick them up but for older PC games the prices people want are insane. Not to get off topic but I was looking for American McGee's Alice and people wanted 50-150 for it. No way in hell am I paying that much for an old game.

Back on topic I know this download will have adds I just hop it is not to many to take away from the game.

[quote name='Logain8955']I need to find a XBOX to PC Adapter....bust out my Steel Battalion stick set :D[/QUOTE]

Let me know how that works. A friend of mine is offering to loan his Steel Battalion stick and I'm pretty tempted to use it if it actually works for MW4

[quote name='sendme']I know what I'm going to say is not the way of the cag but I would rather pay for this game and not have adds if they fill it with adds to make it free. However after looking online and only seeing it on amazon when it comes to retailers. I think I will take the free one seeing how amazon has it for 80-90 bucks for the set. I have MechWarrior 2 and one or 2 of the expansions but never got a chance to play 3 or 4. I would like to pick them up but for older PC games the prices people want are insane. Not to get off topic but I was looking for American McGee's Alice and people wanted 50-150 for it. No way in hell am I paying that much for an old game.

Back on topic I know this download will have adds I just hop it is not to many to take away from the game.[/QUOTE]

It's not ad supported. They're giving away the last entry in the series for free to build hype for their next-gen reboot of the series.

[quote name='Logain8955']I need to find a XBOX to PC Adapter....bust out my Steel Battalion stick set :D[/QUOTE]

oh man... i knew i should've kept that damn thing! i mean, i got rid of the xbox, and probably would've had to rent a storage unit or something to keep it in... but still.

[quote name='PvtChurch']It's not ad supported. They're giving away the last entry in the series for free to build hype for their next-gen reboot of the series.[/QUOTE]

I'm sold then. Makes no since to buy if for as much as it is going for online just to have it on a disc. Have they said when it will come out online for free?

[quote name='sendme']I'm sold then. Makes no since to buy if for as much as it is going for online just to have it on a disc. Have they said when it will come out online for free?[/QUOTE]
According to what I've found in the forums of the website that'll be distributing it, it's likely to be a couple weeks. They're also now not going to be including 2 things (Vengeance and Black Knight) due to "issues".

[quote name='YodaEXE']They're also now not going to be including 2 things (Vengeance and Black Knight) due to "issues".[/QUOTE]

Well that doesn't make any sense. The subtitle for Mechwarrior 4 itself has always been Vengeance! I can understand not including the Black Knight expansion or the two Mech Packs but to say MW4 won't include itself? lol

[quote name='Nogib']Well that doesn't make any sense. The subtitle for Mechwarrior 4 itself has always been Vengeance! I can understand not including the Black Knight expansion or the two Mech Packs but to say MW4 won't include itself? lol[/QUOTE]

Quoting posts from www.mektek.net:

[quote name='jehosephat2k']
Despite what Gwartsbane said, we will not be releasing Vengeance or BK. We do not have the technology to support it or the capabilities to remove the copy protection and everything else that goes along with these.

What we will be able to do is release our MP3 with the ability to push autoupdates as things get changed, in particular MP4 when it is ready.

After MP4 has been released (few months after 3.1 is release in a few weeks based on current progress), we may release a "vanilla" PR1+ in the same manner. This would be raw PR1 with a few necessary changes to remove CD check and a few other things as well (autoupdater for that).

So, look for, in this order

1) MP3.1 released in .iso format. It will likely use the old Mercs installer to make it easier.
2) Autoupdate of MP4 when it is available
3) PR1+ release (maybe).
4) An SDK next year maybe?

Anything else isn't really feasable.

Also, old players need to keep in mind we will not be releasing a a 3.02b->3.1 patch or anything like that. So everyone will need to install from scratch. This is the only way we can guarantee that everyone is starting off from the same page, it will minimize headaches for all of us. As the size of the playerbase is likely to multiply quite a bit, we have to take this into consideration, and the way we have been doing things over all these years isn't going to work in any practical sense.[/quote]

Vengeance and BK will not be possible for a whole load of technical reasons (e.g. - not being able to remove the copy protection, not having any sort of zone server for MP matchmaking etc).[/quote]

[We estimate that we'll be able to release this in] More like 3-5 weeks. We have ALOT of work to do to put this together. Keep in mind we found out about this just a day earlier than everyone else did. MP4 development has been put on hold in order to get this released. In addition, the few folks that will be doing the work on this (me, Vam, and maybe one or two others) have Real Jobs and families and other things that get priority over this work, regardless of how much we just love doing it for y'all. And, yeah, right now we are the only people on the face of the planet that CAN do it, so be patient. Good things comes to those that wait patiently.[/quote]

[quote name='whitefeather'] just wanted to state that though it seems as though it will not be possible for us to release Vengeance and Black Knight with the initial release of Mercs, we will continue to look into the possibility of releasing them, or at least their campaigns, at a later date. Hopefully using the built-in patcher that we are developing.[/quote]

In short:
- Included in this release: MW4: Mercenaries, IS Mech Pack, Clan Mech Pack, MekTek Mech Pack 1, 2, and 3
- Distribution: Direct Download, BitTorrent
- File Format: ISO
- ETA: 3-5 weeks
- MW4:V & MW4:BK possibly available at a later date

I see. So why then didn't they explicitly say "Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries" from the beginning? When word first came out, they were only saying "Mechwarrior 4" which me and any other person would understand that to mean the original Vengeance game lol. Odd that them removing the SafeDisc from Mercs is OK while removing the C-Dilla from Vengeance and Black Knight is not. Oh well.

Don't think I've been to mektek.com in years since I won my way into the MechCommander 2 beta from their site XD.

[quote name='Nogib']I see. So why then didn't they explicitly say "Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries" from the beginning? When word first came out, they were only saying "Mechwarrior 4" which me and any other person would understand that to mean the original Vengeance game lol. Odd that them removing the SafeDisc from Mercs is OK while removing the C-Dilla from Vengeance and Black Knight is not. Oh well.

Don't think I've been to mektek.com in years since I won my way into the MechCommander 2 beta from their site XD.[/QUOTE]

They said the PR guy got ahead of himself when he made the announcement.

The last time I was at mektek was when I was still playing MW4:V online on 56k :lol:. If this rejuvenates the online community, I think I might try to get back into it.

bread's done
Back