LordKefka06

CAGiversary!
medal_of_honor-_vga_2009_trailer_hd.jpg

• Release Date: October 12, 2010.
  • Lead Platform: PlayStation 3
  • Beta: 6/21/10
  • Setting: Afghanistan, 2002
  • PlayStation Move Support: No
  • Game Engines: SP - "heavily-modified version of Unreal Engine 3" / MP - Frostbite
  • Release Date: Fall 2010. No dates set yet. But, before Christmas
    3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif
  • Rating: Mature
  • Developers: SP - EALA / MP - DICE
  • Destructible Terrain: Yes.
    In the multiplayer side, destructible terrain is what they do; it's what their technology does. In the single-player game, environments will be destroyed. [Grins] I'll say that. I won't confirm if you'll be destroying them or not, but again, this is a game about warfare. We're in a place that's very diverse and there's destruction that happens in our game.
  • Dedicated Servers: Yes
  • Vehicles: SP - Yes / MP - Yes
    Apaches, and you will be behind the stick in an Apache. You'll be on ATV All-Terrain Vehicles.
    "Well, with DICE involved," he says, grinning, "I think you can assume we're going to touch on vehicle combat just a little."
  • Peek & Lean: SP - Yes / MP - ?;
    Peek and lean is something that has always been in Medal of Honour, and we'll keep that, so even though we're moving on into a new war, a new enemy, and a new warrior, there are certain things that will remain, independent of what the timeframe is and who the enemy is.
  • Character Customization: Hinted at;
    ...certain look, a certain movement style, certain weapons systems... At the Tier 1 level, they get to choose what they use... guys that we've had in here all have different likes and dislikes.... One guy will dress this way and use this system; another guy will do this; one guy will hold it this way or have a holster this way... It's been really, really cool, so we're getting the best of both worlds in the game.
  • Characters: Multi-character perspectives, mainly Tier 1;
    You'll take on the role of Army Rangers for some levels, but for the most part you'll be one of the Tier 1 Ops. These are the literal best of the best, the guys who call in airstrikes, make contact with warlords, and go on what are essentially kill missions. But the devs are keen to show how what they call the 'big army' integrates with and relies upon these operators, and how these operators could not possibly succeed at their task without some serious back up to call on
    Operating directly under the National Command Authority, a relatively unknown entity of handpicked warriors are called on when the mission must not fail. They are the Tier 1 Operators.
    Over 2 million Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines wear the uniform. Of those, approximately 50 thousand fall under the direct control of the Special Operations Command. The Tier 1 Operator functions on a plane of existence above and beyond even the most highly trained Special Operations Forces. Their exact numbers, while classified, hover in the low hundreds. They are living, breathing, precision instruments of war. They are experts in the application of violence. The new Medal of Honor is inspired by and has been developed with Tier 1 Operators from this elite community. Players will step into the boots of these warriors and apply their unique skill sets to a new enemy in the most unforgiving and hostile battlefield conditions of present day Afghanistan.
    There is a new enemy. There is a new war. There is a new warrior. He is Tier 1.
  • HUD: Close to none;
    The game features almost no HUD at all so far. You get incoming fire indicators, and a simple ammo counter that fades after you stop firing. Otherwise, it's all just game: sound, impact effects, destructible scenery, some very pleasing knife kills, and just solid, down to earth action.
  • Prone: SP - Yes / MP - No;
    PERSONAL: This has sparked major criticism toward DICE, so it could be subject to change. I would like to see prone be like OF: DR
  • Demo: Confirmed, but no date.
  • Slide To Cover: SP - Yes / MP - ?

Videos:

medal-of-honor-2010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You would start this up..........
Well if the game is any good count me in lol but I swear if they game blows I am blaming you for the over hyping :)

[quote name='kagekiri']You would start this up..........
Well if the game is any good count me in lol but I swear if they game blows I am blaming you for the over hyping :)[/QUOTE]We have had this talk 1 too many times. Just trust me.

-----

If they insist on putting killstreaks in, I would at least like to see something similar to this "Momentum System".

There is no midle ground for this game. It will either be awesome, or totally suck! The last thing we need is more average shooters. Good to see the spelling fixed!
WOW is for Halo playing girls!

After playing modern turdfare 2 i think i'm cool on 1st person shooters for awhile. That game was so bad that it made me hate the genre. I still gotta finish up Bioshock 1 though that doesnt feel anything like turdfare 2.

they had me at peak & lean.

p.s. that is a rockin beard that dude is sporting.

The single player may be generic and suck, but at least the multiplayer should be great since the guys behind the battlefield series are developing it.

I guess I have to sub to this thread but I don't think MoH will be as creatively designed ways of killing people as MW2 is. I'd like to see some sort of new ways to kill people, BC2 was full of fail when it came to doing something beyond the scope of what your kits were set up to do.

I do think there will be more flexibility and they will move away from the kit set up which will be awesome because the kit set up just made me sad face.

[quote name='Mad39er']I guess I have to sub to this thread but I don't think MoH will be as creatively designed ways of killing people as MW2 is. I'd like to see some sort of new ways to kill people, BC2 was full of fail when it came to doing something beyond the scope of what your kits were set up to do.

I do think there will be more flexibility and they will move away from the kit set up which will be awesome because the kit set up just made me sad face.[/QUOTE]

kits are needed in team based objective games. id say a repair tool to the head or defib pads to the chest were new ways of killing people.

[quote name='8bitArtist']kits are needed in team based objective games. id say a repair tool to the head or defib pads to the chest were new ways of killing people.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you can do that?!

[quote name='Mad39er']I guess I have to sub to this thread but I don't think MoH will be as creatively designed ways of killing people as MW2 is. I'd like to see some sort of new ways to kill people, BC2 was full of fail when it came to doing something beyond the scope of what your kits were set up to do.

I do think there will be more flexibility and they will move away from the kit set up which will be awesome because the kit set up just made me sad face.[/QUOTE]

youre supposed to scavenge dead people's kits to do other stuff. unless youre looking for one man army.

[quote name='SynGamer']Wait, you can do that?![/QUOTE]

Yep, fun way to get kills if you ever get tired of knifing people.

[quote name='8bitArtist']kits are needed in team based objective games. id say a repair tool to the head or defib pads to the chest were new ways of killing people.[/QUOTE]
Defibs and repair tools have been used in the past Battlefield games and are not new. New to you perhaps but I've known about defibbing people since before BC2.

I'm not sure why you would need a particular kit in objective based games. That would be like saying you need to be in the bomb squad kit to disarm a bomb or wearing a track outfit to capture a flag or be a Viking to siege a small island. Rush and Conquest had no objective that stopped you from participating with any class. Anti-Armor/Air roles aside, I know it's a load of crap to tell an Operator that he can't just pick up an RPG and blow somebody up without picking up everything else that goes with it.

[quote name='Mad39er']Defibs and repair tools have been used in the past Battlefield games and are not new. New to you perhaps but I've known about defibbing people since before BC2.

I'm not sure why you would need a particular kit in objective based games. That would be like saying you need to be in the bomb squad kit to disarm a bomb or wearing a track outfit to capture a flag or be a Viking to siege a small island. Rush and Conquest had no objective that stopped you from participating with any class. Anti-Armor/Air roles aside, I know it's a load of crap to tell an Operator that he can't just pick up an RPG and blow somebody up without picking up everything else that goes with it.[/QUOTE]

kits keep it equal. i want an m60, with a gustav and an ammo crate, but that wouldnt be fair now would it? everyone with a crazy set up like that wouldnt be fun.

Bad Company 2 is leaving a bad taste in my mouth...seeing that the multiplayer is being done by DICE...I'm extremely skeptical.

[quote name='SynGamer']Bad Company 2 is leaving a bad taste in my mouth...seeing that the multiplayer is being done by DICE...I'm extremely skeptical.[/QUOTE]

I'll play devil's advocate and ask you to state what you don't like. Personally, when compared to MW2, BC2 has a lot of pluses in MP. Not saying that it is >>>than MW2 in multiplayer, just quite different. It is really hard to win in BC2 if you are playing with a squad without mics.

However, being able to choose where you want to respawn is awesome. Generally you do not have to worry about dropping in and someone spawn camping or dropping a pineapple on you. Dedicated servers are another huge plus. I hate to even say this, but any time Madder hosts MW2, I am at a host disadvantage. You won't hear me complain, but there are a number of times I've had to watch the killcam to see why I was killed after I show myself plugging 3-4 shots into someone only to have the killcam show me never getting a shot off [same goes with my ninja stealth knifing skills :) ].

Sniping is about a toss up between the two...you generally don't see as many in BC2, but they are just as accurate.

Oh, and has NoKill would say - it has C4.

As far as anyone concerned about MOH, as long as it is not another Airborne disaster, we should be in good shape. The first coupe in the series were awesome.

[quote name='jmbreci']I'll play devil's advocate and ask you to state what you don't like. Personally, when compared to MW2, BC2 has a lot of pluses in MP. Not saying that it is >>>than MW2 in multiplayer, just quite different. It is really hard to win in BC2 if you are playing with a squad without mics.

However, being able to choose where you want to respawn is awesome. Generally you do not have to worry about dropping in and someone spawn camping or dropping a pineapple on you. Dedicated servers are another huge plus. I hate to even say this, but any time Madder hosts MW2, I am at a host disadvantage. You won't hear me complain, but there are a number of times I've had to watch the killcam to see why I was killed after I show myself plugging 3-4 shots into someone only to have the killcam show me never getting a shot off [same goes with my ninja stealth knifing skills :) ].

Sniping is about a toss up between the two...you generally don't see as many in BC2, but they are just as accurate.

Oh, and has NoKill would say - it has C4.

As far as anyone concerned about MOH, as long as it is not another Airborne disaster, we should be in good shape. The first coupe in the series were awesome.[/QUOTE]

1. The limitation of communicating with other players (outside of your squad) essentially means it's a matter of luck -- your squad can be amazing but you'll still have a hell of a time if everyone else is sniping/sucks/both.

2. Hit detection. This is a problem in just about any online game but when I unload 17 bullets from a hand gun into a guys chest/neck region from about 10 feet away, and they don't die, something is clearly wrong.

3. Lack of multiplayer modes = this game getting stale, fast.

I will agree that the spawning system is awesome. I love being able to jump right back into the action IF I CHOOSE TO. MW2 has some of the worst spawning I've ever seen. I also love the destructible environment. It's not a horrible game, but there are some things they need to improve, soon, if they want me to consider Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor trailer simply looks awesome. I almost pulled a Noobkill and had a premature detonation.

This morning they released the same trailer, but with a little extra info at the end. That included: "October 12, 2010" & "Beta Coming Soon".

As stated by a source, along with how they did the exact same thing with BC2, this will be a PS3 exclusive beta.
-----

Really liking the new MOH theme you hear at the end. About time they bring MOH back up to the top in the genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
im surprised kefka didnt post this

http://www.destructoid.com/experiencing-the-afghan-war-in-medal-of-honor-173587.phtml
The Medal of Honor series was a pioneer in the FPS genre during the last two console generations. The franchise went on hiatus during this current console war, and IPs such as EA's other war franchise (Battlefield) and Activision's Call of Duty series stepped up to fill the void Medal of Honor left behind.

The series is now back with a more modern setting, developed by both EA Los Angeles and EA DICE. DICE is working on the multiplayer with their Frostbite engine, and that side of the game is still being kept under wraps. EA did want to show off some more of the single-player though, and EALA Creative Director Richard Farrelly came up to the San Francisco area to show off another side of the campaign.

Hit the break for an early look at Medal of Honor and for my unique thoughts on the game coming from an Afghan perspective.

Medal of Honor (PlayStation 3 [previewed], Xbox 360, PC)
Developer: EA Los Angeles (single-player) / EA DICE (multiplayer)
Publisher: Electronic Arts
To be released: October 12, 2010

The Medal of Honor reboot takes place in early 2002, during the war in Afghanistan, and it sees players controlling characters between Tier 1 Operators and Army Rangers. The Tier 1 guys are the “scalpel” of the military. They go in first, blend in and gather intel that aids the big military. You can read more about the Tier 1 perspective in Samit Sarkar's preview.

My look at the game put us halfway into the story and focused on the “sledgehammer” of the military, the Army Rangers. Whereas the “scalpel” missions are about being clean and quick, the “sledgehammer” missions will feel like large-scale battles. The two groups are nothing alike, but neither can succeed without support from the other.

The particular area Richard was running through saw a squad of four Rangers on a mission to destroy a weapon emplacement. The first thing that stuck out to me as Richard moved through the mountainous terrain of the Shah-i-Kot valley was that there was no HUD on display. Vital information -- such as objectives and your squad's location -- is displayed with the press of a button and then fades away after a few seconds. Information such as your ammo counter will appear only while weapons are being fired.

Hiding the HUD provides a more immersive cinematic experience, and it's greatly appreciated, as it lets the player really take in the level of detail in the environment. Military consultants worked closely with EA, providing all sorts of information about Afghanistan that EA captured with the Unreal engine.

Fans of the Medal of Honor series will be happy to hear that features from previous Medal of Honor titles will remain, like the peek and lean. There will be new additions, too, such as a slide to cover -- also known as the “oh shit button,” as Richard put it. Players can ask for ammo from their squadmates if needed, but it's a limited amount based on the level. Squadmates will also move about accordingly -- they'll cover one direction as you cover the other.

As this was a controlled, hands-off demo, I can't say what the weapons feel like. Richard was plowing through the level with an M249 SAW, a light machine gun that looked pretty powerful but is balanced out by its long reload time. Still, you can't treat Medal of Honor with a one-man-army mindset. You want to move cautiously and hide behind the destructible cover as you engage enemies.

After a few skirmishes, the Rangers reached their target, tossed a smoke grenade marking the gun emplacement and watched as an air strike took out the target. Smoke then filled up the view and dirt rained down as the Rangers moved to the next area. The demo ended with the Rangers about to breach a house right before a bomb went off.

It still remains to be seen just how EA is going to take on the powerhouse that is Modern Warfare 2, but what I saw holds promise. This war is real, and EA is trying to approach the ongoing conflict with sensitivity and respect toward all parties.

Being of Afghan descent, Medal of Honor offers me a kind of nerdy way at revenge. I've never been to Afghanistan, but I do have family there, and I've seen how my family's been affected by the injustices committed by the Taliban. While the country is far from sunshine and rainbows, the American invasion did help make the country better.

Medal of Honor is an outlet for someone like me. I'll never pick up a gun against someone in real life, but I play shooters like there's no tomorrow. First-person shooters are my favorite genre, and getting to shoot at representations of people who have tormented my home country for decades offers me a way to vent my frustrations.

Updated OP with the confirmation of a demo, the interview Wotcher posted, & the newly "Slide-To-Cover" mechanic being added.

i cant help but feel lack luster about this MP. even though DICE is doing it, i have a feel this is going to be the same way as BFBC2 where the VIP code is essentially worthless and any real content you might want will have to be paid DLC.

I'm a bit more hopeful, DICE didn't focus on the PS3 as the lead console before so this should be good. This is their shot to show that they can make a game that isn't a compromise on graphics and gameplay. If it's a Bad Company clone, they'll hear about it.

Anyone knows how getting the beta key works when pre-ordering? There is no mention of it on Amazon or Gamestop's website.

Well i put a preoder down for the damn thing. I swear i better get my code like first thing in the morning when it comes out, but amazon is pretty good at those things. Next week is gonna be fun with the new iphone coming out and the beta lol

Surprised how quickly the beta is coming out, is it an open beta or something that we preorder to get a code to play? Either way I'm excited to check it out.

Dammit, had to take a break half way through the trailer....

The beta will be open to everyone on the PS3, X360, & PC on June 21. However, you get access to it on the 17 if you pre-order.

Will add the trailer/press conference to the OP.

As Mad said, it still looks a little bit too similar to BC2.

Multiplayer on this looks awesome. Like the good looks of MW2 combined with the deep gameplay of BF BC2.

You can never have too many good online shooters.

It looks promising. It's clear they're putting a lot of time and care into this. I just hope it can differentiate its gameplay from the likes of CoD and Bad Company in some way.

Definitely can't wait to try the demo.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Dammit, had to take a break half way through the trailer....

The beta will be open to everyone on the PS3, X360, & PC on June 21. However, you get access to it on the 17 if you pre-order.

Will add the trailer/press conference to the OP.

As Mad said, it still looks a little bit too similar to BC2.[/QUOTE]

From their website, medalofhonor.com, they say that people who own BC2 and pre-ordered this game get early access on the 17th, while others that pre-ordered the game gets to play it on the 21st. It doesn't mention anything about open beta, although it makes sense since they did that with BC2.

Still unsure of how the whole VIP thing works...do we have to pre-order it through EA's site while logged in with our VIP account, otherwise...wouldn't we just get an e-mail through said account if we activated our VIP code?

Damn, I'm really disappointed. For some reason I assumed that the 21st meant an open beta for everyone. Would have loved to try this out before October.

I just got 2 beta codes. Weird. I think because I pre-ordered with one email address and I have another email address for my EA/PSN account with my Battlefield Bad Company 2 VIP account.

[quote name='carbontiger']I just got 2 beta codes. Weird. I think because I pre-ordered with one email address and I have another email address for my EA/PSN account with my Battlefield Bad Company 2 VIP account.[/QUOTE]

Hm...no e-mail for me yet...looks like VIP members will get the beta codes through the e-mail they signed up with?

[quote name='psche00']If someone wants the beta code, just preorder from amazon, then canx your order if you don't like it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm an idiot. Right after my previous post I was thinking this.

Almost seems too easy, though. But I guess there really isn't any way for EA to keep people who cancel from getting a code.

That handgun kill at the 28 second mark reminds me of MW2's accuracy. If this game isn't everything the Elf says it will be, I'm flying out there, punching him, and flying back home. :)

bread's done
Back